• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Viet FT To Pay $15k Carbon Tax On His $400k Electric Tesla Car!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ST_20160305_CTTESLA_2116354.jpg

An electric car which attracts tax breaks in several countries has been slapped with a tax surcharge in Singapore.

The Model S - a sedan made by California-based Tesla Motors - is the first tailpipe emission-free car to be penalised this way here.

Mr Joe Nguyen, 44, registered a used Model S he sourced from Hong Kong just before Chinese New Year. He was shocked that the car - for which he paid close to $400,000 - was liable for a $15,000 carbon surcharge.

"Honestly, it's stupid," said the senior vice-president with an Internet research firm. "I went back to them (Land Transport Authority), and they cited a UN emission test regulation. They also factored in carbon emissions at the power station. We don't apply a carbon penalty to people charging their iPhones, do we?"

In response to queries, an LTA spokesman said: "Based on tests conducted under the UNECE R101 standards, the electric energy consumption of his imported used Tesla car was 444 watt-hour/km."

To "account for CO2 emissions during the electricity generation process", the spokesman said, "a grid emission factor of 0.5g/watt-hour was also applied to the electric energy consumption".

From this, it was determined that Mr Nguyen's Tesla produced 222g/km of CO2, putting it within the $15,000 surcharge band under Singapore's Carbon Emission- based Vehicle Scheme. The LTA applied this grid factor once previously to an electric Peugeot Ion (a subcompact hatchback), and it was granted a carbon rebate of $20,000.

The BMW i3 electric hatchback and i8 plug-in hybrid both qualify for a $30,000 carbon rebate.

Mr Nguyen, married with three sons, said he paid the surcharge because he "didn't want to wait any longer". It had taken him more than half a year from the time he imported the car last July to get it approved and registered for use on the road.

He had to shuttle between LTA, the Energy Market Authority and vehicle inspection centre Vicom in the process. Before the car was approved, he had to give an undertaking that he would recharge it only at his home - a cluster housing.

On the long process, LTA said "this is the first time a Tesla Model S has been tested for emissions".

The Model S is granted tax breaks in several countries. In Britain, buyers get a £4,500 (S$8,800) grant, and in the United States, they get a US$7,500 (S$10,400) income tax credit. Hong Kong waives registration tax for electric cars, which can be as high as 115 per cent of value. In Norway, a Model S gets a tax exemption of around US$135,000.

Mr Nguyen has posted an "open letter" online outlining his difficulty in registering the Tesla as well as his beef over the tax surcharge.

"I've given up on getting the money back," he told The Straits Times. "I just want LTA to improve. There is a lot of interest in the Model S."

Commenting on the case, Nanyang Business School adjunct associate professor Zafar Momin said: "Given Singapore's land size, great infrastructure and commitment to sustainability, we would not only have been the perfect test bed for electric vehicles (EVs), but also an ideal market for their wider application and usage.

While we have initiatives and incentives for EVs, we may already have missed the big opportunity to be a leader in EVs as a nation. The Tesla importation case is perhaps indicative of why we may have missed the opportunity."

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/electric-car-tesla-slapped-with-15000-tax-surcharge

yangtzejiang

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows electric vehicles are not necessarily less pollutive. The latest diesel cars put out less CO2 emissions than EVs.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This shows electric vehicles are not necessarily less pollutive. The latest diesel cars put out less CO2 emissions than EVs.

can always charge the cars with renewable or solar energy.of course singapore is not one of the first world countries to have embraced solar power yet.its only possible for electric vehicles to be more pollutive if u are in china where they use coal power plants to generate electricity or u live in singapore,where somehow metrics and special business models somehow electricity becomes very very expensive and pollutive to produce.just think about it,in a tesla electric car u can go 120 km on less than $2 worth of electricity in germany or united states,but thats no good in singapore and singapore doesnt want that.

Last edited:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should have waited for byd, china made cars. Their buses can travel 270km on a single charge and it takes only 10 minutes to recharge. It uses super capacitors apart from having batteries. Warren buffet invested in this company

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
I applaud the PAP for never missing out an income opportunity. This is how we should close loopholes that endanger our tax base.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wtf the electricity consumption of the car is only 444w hour/km,lets say he travels a 10km journey twice a day that 8.8 kwh electricity usuage....thats like the equivalent of turning on ur aircon for 5 hours a day.......why dont the PAP charge people 100k carbon tax for owning a air con?fucking full of shit this PAP.....do they know how much electricity their shopping malls and skyscrapers guzzle up and they keep building those like nothing.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I sarpok got money to pay 400k kaopeh to pay 15k ? Come on. Singapore so small no need so many cars.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really relatively easy for this Vietcong to resolve his problems with the pappies. Go back home to vietong land with his Telsa car and he can get it registered there.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I sarpok got money to pay 400k kaopeh to pay 15k ? Come on. Singapore so small no need so many cars.

precisely singapore has too many cars,by switching over the electric vehicles,the carbon footprint is reduced tremendously.carbon emissions varies widely based on power plants used,hydro and solar electricity can be as low as 26 gm/mi while coal can be as high as 310 gm/mi.

for petrol or gasoline cars,the average is about 400gm/mi still higher than the most pollutive form of power generation.in gas guzzling suvs it can go as high as 590 gm/mi.

Last edited:

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should have drop his carbon tax and charge him 50k luxury tax instead!

It's peanuts to him since he can afford a 400k car!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bottom line is that Sg is not a green or consciously-green country. While major cities in the world are promoting Formula-E racing to help the development of batteries in automobile use, Peesai is still barking up the F-1 lane, and lighting up thousands of megawatt street lamps just to host the event.

Cheers!

...................... we may already have missed the big opportunity to be a leader in EVs as a nation. The Tesla importation case is perhaps indicative of why we may have missed the opportunity."...................

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am so right to say that stupid sinkies vote for a stupid govt.. I am so right to stay away from sinkies.