• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US police officer Grant Morrison shown sobbing after killing unarmed man

OneStepCloser

Alfrescian
Loyal

US police officer Grant Morrison shown sobbing after killing unarmed man

Date January 14, 2015 - 3:33PM
Jessica Sier

1421215849210.jpg

Dashboard camera video shows police officer Grant Morrison breaking down moments after shooting an unarmed suspect. Photo: Billings Police Department

Newly released footage from a dashboard camera shows US police officer Grant Morrison breaking into heavy sobs after shooting dead an unarmed robbery and shooting suspect.

On April 14 last year, Morrison, from Billings in Montana, had stopped a car in which Richard Ramirez, 38, was a passenger.

Morrison repeatedly ordered Ramirez and the other four occupants to get out of their car, police footage shows.

The officer testified before a coroner's inquest this month that he saw Ramirez "reach for his waistband" during the 30-second encounter and he feared for his life.

"I thought he was going to pull a gun on me," Morrison is heard saying through tears on the video..

He shot Ramirez, who was high on methamphetamine.

Police officers did not find any guns in the car, just a syringe.

A jury at the inquest ruled last Wednesday that the shooting was a non-criminal, justifiable homicide.

"I knew in that moment, which later was determined to be untrue, but I knew in that moment that he was reaching for a gun," Morrison told the inquest.

"I couldn't take that risk ... I wanted to see my son grow up."

In the video of the shooting, the back seat of the car largely obscures Ramirez's actions, although Morrison can be seen withdrawing his weapon and shooting into the vehicle at close range.

An autopsy reveals the fatal shot hit Ramirez in the chest and punctured his lung, while a toxicology report indicates he had a dose of methamphetamine in his system when he died.

Ramirez family members said they were disappointed by the ruling and intended to file a lawsuit against Morrison and the Billings Police Department, alleging excessive use of force, his sister Julie Ramirez said.

In 2013, Morrison shot and killed another man, Jason Shaw, 32.

Morrison was cleared of any wrongdoing in that incident as well.

The verdict clearing Morrison of any charges comes as police killings of unarmed suspects in Ferguson, Missouri and New York City draw international attention and increased scrutiny of the police.

Of the 15 people called to testify during the two-day Billings inquest, 12 were from law enforcement.

- with AP