• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US marine appears in court in murder of transgender woman in Philippines

BalanceOfPower

Alfrescian
Loyal

US marine appears in court in murder of transgender woman in Philippines

PUBLISHED : Friday, 19 December, 2014, 11:08pm
UPDATED : Friday, 19 December, 2014, 11:11pm

Agence France-Presse in Olongapo

06c6d004c4ab67f6641805c0160bd779.jpg

Marilou Laude, sister of slain Filipino Jennifer Laude, shows the photo she took of the US marine murder suspect in court. Photo: AP

A US marine who is accused of murdering a transgender woman in the Philippines appeared in court yesterday for the first time since her death more than two months ago.

Journalists were barred from the court hearing in the northern port city of Olongapo, which Private First Class Joseph Pemberton had to attend as a procedural matter before the start of his trial.

However lawyers who attended the hearing and took photos described Pemberton as sitting quietly while wearing handcuffs in one corner of the tiny courtroom, surrounded by burly American security personnel.

After the charge of murder was read into the court, Pemberton asked for the arraignment proceedings, in which he would have to give a plea, to be postponed, court clerk Gerry Gruspe told reporters.

It was not immediately clear on what grounds he requested the delay, but the court granted his request, and the next hearing was scheduled for Monday.

The high-profile case has inflamed anti-US feelings in the Philippines and strained diplomatic relations between the longtime allies.

Pemberton was charged with murder over the death of Jennifer Laude, 26, also known as Jeffrey, whose body was found at a cheap hotel in the red light district of Olongapo before dawn on October 12.

Pemberton, 19 at the time, had just finished taking part in US-Philippine military exercises near Olongapo and had checked into the hotel with Laude, according to police.

If he is found guilty of murder, he faces 40 years in jail.

Inside the court on Friday, the victim's sister, Marilou Laude, said she was trembling with rage as she saw Pemberton for the first time in her life

"I wanted to grab his head and bang it against the wall," Laude told reporters afterwards.

"We locked eyes briefly, but he averted his gaze. I think he recognised that I'm the sister of Jennifer. [Pemberton] has such an innocent face. I wanted to ask him why he wanted my sister dead."

Pemberton was booked and his mug shot taken before the court ordered him remanded to the Philippine military headquarters in Manila, according to Gruspe, the court clerk.