• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Unattractive People Are More Likely To Wear Masks Even Though Covid Pandemic Is Over, Per New Study

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unattractive People Are More Likely To Wear Masks Even Though Covid Pandemic Is Over, Per New Study
www.eviemagazine.com

woman wearing mask covid

The coronavirus pandemic started in early 2020 and led to the entire country being shut down for months on end. Many small businesses were permanently closed, thousands of people lost their jobs, and to make matters worse, the coronavirus vaccine was mandated in various places around the country, leaving many people to lose their livelihood because they decided not to take an experimental shot. But even though the pandemic is over, there are many people who have had trouble readjusting back to normal day-to-day life. Some have even expressed that they can't go out anymore without fear of getting sick again. And even though masks aren't mandated, there are still people who choose to wear a mask when they go out. A new study from South Korea that was published in Frontiers Psychology suggests that people who are unattractive are much more likely to wear a mask even though they don't need to.

It's estimated that about 4 out of every 10 Americans are still choosing to wear a mask even though there is no requirement anymore. While many people claim they are wearing it to protect themselves from sickness, a new study from South Korea suggests that people are actually wearing them to cover up their face rather than prevent contracting a virus.

At Seoul National University, three experiments were performed on Americans recruited from Amazon Mechanical Turk, a crowdsourcing website for businesses. There were 442 people involved, 44% of the participants were men, and the average age of all the individuals was 33 years old. Half of the people were told they were going to a job interview and the other half were told they were going to walk a dog.

Each participant was asked two question: "In this scenario, do you think others will perceive you as more attractive with a face mask?" and "How much do you want to make a good first impression on others?"
The people who thought they were going to a job interview cared about how a mask would make them look, whether it was more or less attractive. Then they scored their facial attractiveness and asked more questions: "Do you think the interviewers will perceive you as more attractive with a face mask?" and "If wearing a face mask is optional in this interview session, would you wear a face mask during the company interview?"

The people who scored themselves as attractive were less likely to say yes to these questions, while also indicating that wearing a mask doesn't make them look better. People who admitted that a mask would make them look more competent and attractive were the ones who said they were likely to wear a mask to the job interview.

"Overall, we provide a novel finding that self-perceived attractiveness has significant effects on mask-wearing intention via mask attractiveness belief in the post-pandemic of COVID-19," the researchers said. "Our findings suggest that mask-wearing can shift from being a self-protection measure during the COVID-19 pandemic to a self-presentation tactic in the post-pandemic era."

In the study, they pulled anonymous quotes from the internet: “I can’t wait to stop wearing a mask … I can’t wait to show my full face in places again" and “I like to hide my face under the mask and really dread the day when mask mandates will come to an end.”

While some people may find this study to be silly, there are many people online who have expressed these sentiments, admitting that they are afraid to show their face in public because they think they look better with a mask on. Sadly, the mask that once started as a protective measure (even though it was proven to not even work as a protective measure) has been transformed into a crutch that helps people hide their face from the world.

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just hang on the ear standby lah...in case someone sneeze or cough suddenly on mrt or on bus.
close-up-half-face-exhausted-young-doctor-protective-mask-hanging-ear-difficul-surgery-clinic-gray-studio-176813158.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes indeed, they feel naked without it.

It all boils down to a lack of self esteem, fueled by paranoia and personal inadequacies. Most tourists and ang mohs in general don't care about wearing a mask. On the other hand, daft Sinkie kids are made to wear a mask while playing at a playground, and dafter Sinkies wear a mask while cycling. :rolleyes:

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you live your entire life in fear of a virus, my suggestion would be to go commit suicide. It's really better that way, and I am not being facetious about it.
Ok, whoever sneeze or cough with saliva and mucus, I will lick it and embrace it with indulgence.

Alfrescian
Loyal
all I ask is for all the cai png stalls not to put the utensil trays in front of big glass display.

The old people like to put their fucking face in front of the display and point point point. at the same time, their fucking spit always gets blown out when they order thus dripping onto the utensils. When we take from the utensil trays, they are fucking full of spit!!!!

the stall operators will say they have no choice coz there is not enough space. Fuck NEA for designing the stalls to be so small

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
www.eviemagazine.com

woman wearing mask covid

The coronavirus pandemic started in early 2020 and led to the entire country being shut down for months on end. Many small businesses were permanently closed, thousands of people lost their jobs, and to make matters worse, the coronavirus vaccine was mandated in various places around the country, leaving many people to lose their livelihood because they decided not to take an experimental shot. But even though the pandemic is over, there are many people who have had trouble readjusting back to normal day-to-day life. Some have even expressed that they can't go out anymore without fear of getting sick again. And even though masks aren't mandated, there are still people who choose to wear a mask when they go out. A new study from South Korea that was published in Frontiers Psychology suggests that people who are unattractive are much more likely to wear a mask even though they don't need to.

It's estimated that about 4 out of every 10 Americans are still choosing to wear a mask even though there is no requirement anymore. While many people claim they are wearing it to protect themselves from sickness, a new study from South Korea suggests that people are actually wearing them to cover up their face rather than prevent contracting a virus.

At Seoul National University, three experiments were performed on Americans recruited from Amazon Mechanical Turk, a crowdsourcing website for businesses. There were 442 people involved, 44% of the participants were men, and the average age of all the individuals was 33 years old. Half of the people were told they were going to a job interview and the other half were told they were going to walk a dog.

Each participant was asked two question: "In this scenario, do you think others will perceive you as more attractive with a face mask?" and "How much do you want to make a good first impression on others?"
The people who thought they were going to a job interview cared about how a mask would make them look, whether it was more or less attractive. Then they scored their facial attractiveness and asked more questions: "Do you think the interviewers will perceive you as more attractive with a face mask?" and "If wearing a face mask is optional in this interview session, would you wear a face mask during the company interview?"

The people who scored themselves as attractive were less likely to say yes to these questions, while also indicating that wearing a mask doesn't make them look better. People who admitted that a mask would make them look more competent and attractive were the ones who said they were likely to wear a mask to the job interview.

"Overall, we provide a novel finding that self-perceived attractiveness has significant effects on mask-wearing intention via mask attractiveness belief in the post-pandemic of COVID-19," the researchers said. "Our findings suggest that mask-wearing can shift from being a self-protection measure during the COVID-19 pandemic to a self-presentation tactic in the post-pandemic era."

In the study, they pulled anonymous quotes from the internet: “I can’t wait to stop wearing a mask … I can’t wait to show my full face in places again" and “I like to hide my face under the mask and really dread the day when mask mandates will come to an end.”

While some people may find this study to be silly, there are many people online who have expressed these sentiments, admitting that they are afraid to show their face in public because they think they look better with a mask on. Sadly, the mask that once started as a protective measure (even though it was proven to not even work as a protective measure) has been transformed into a crutch that helps people hide their face from the world.

This is why the Singapore authorities were so eager to introduce mask regulations as it's pretty obvious the number of lookers in the higher echelons of government are few and far betwween.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I will still wear my mask. Not because I am ugly but to hide my drool. Don't want to scare the chiobus when I am looking at them.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will still wear my mask. Not because I am ugly but to hide my drool. Don't want to scare the chiobus when I am looking at them.

If a girl loves you, you can pick your nose, show her your peesai and she will lick your finger clean.