• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tree Felling Also Got 1 Cuntry, 2 Systems!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Mature tree here today, gone tomorrow
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
a21-1.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Make the conservation effort, like SMU does: A raintree originally in SMU's Bras Basah campus being transplanted back. -- ST FILE PHOTO
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MY PARENTS have lived in Chinatown for the past 30 years. A tree at the now defunct Central Police Station had been left untouched all that while. There was no regular trimming by the authorities at all.
I was extremely surprised when it was felled. This seems to run counter to recent news reports about the need to preserve mature trees in Singapore.
While we await the authorities' reply on why the tree was felled, is there a telephone number for the public to call and check whether such incidents are legal?
I would also appreciate it if the authorities could advise if the other trees within the compound will be spared or meet the same fate when redevelopment takes place in the future.
The Singapore Management University (SMU) set a good precedent when it opted to preserve the trees along Bras Basah Road by relocating them temporarily.
Perhaps we can have more initiatives along this line to save more of the mature trees we have.
It takes 30 years for a tree to mature, but one day to fell it.
Teo Lian Hong
<!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GOV also want to control the nature like they control human in Singapore. Where the plant/tree can grow or not.

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
5a70ecda.gif

Fined for cutting trees
By Jamie Ee Wen Wei
July 5, 2009

p4-1.jpg

Housewife Lily Lean's olive tree, which has a girth of more than 1m, is protected as her landed property off Farrer Road is within a tree conservation area. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

WHEN Mr Foo Suan Pin got a contractor to chop down three fruit trees in his garden in the Holland Road area in September 2007, it did not occur to him that he was committing a crime.

But in February this year, he was slapped with a $6,000 fine after he submitted a plan to the authorities for approval of construction works to his house.

The reason? He had removed trees in a tree conservation area.

'I decided to cut the trees because they looked sickly and were infested with red ants, and the leaves were clogging up the gutters,' Mr Foo, 52, told The Sunday Times.

'Before this, I had not even heard of a tree conservation area. I thought I could remove the trees because they were in my own private property.'

Under the Parks and Trees Act, you can't fell any tree with a girth exceeding 1m growing on any land within a designated tree conservation area, or on any vacant land, except with the approval of the National Parks Board (NParks).

There are two designated tree conservation areas in Singapore. One covers the Tanglin-Bukit Timah-Pasir Panjang area and the other is in Changi. They were chosen because of the large number of clusters of mature trees and wooded areas there.

Offenders pay a composition fine of $2,000 to NParks but can also be fined up to $50,000 if charged in court.

Singapore also has what are known as heritage trees - mature trees within and outside the tree conservation areas - that are protected by law. These trees are noted for their historical value and contribution to Singapore's landscape.