• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all opposition party, NO RACE CARD PLEASE!!

Janet

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/3336-lee-kuan-yews-remarks-deeply-offensive-to-malays

In the recent interview Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew gave to the National Geographic Magazine he revealed his religious affiliation: "Most Chinese here are Buddhists or Taoists...I am one of them." No quarrel with that.

But what has raised eyebrows and caused disquiet, especially among our Malay Muslims, are two statements that Mr Lee that were reckless, outrageous and utterly devoid of any sense.

The first was the insinuation that the Malays are self-centred and selfish. Mr Lee had said, “Well, we make them say the national pledge and sing the national anthem but suppose we have a famine, will your Malay neighbour give you the last few grains of rice or will she share it with her family or fellow Muslim or vice versa?”

Why won't the Malay share his food, either with his neighbour or with a fellow Muslim, during a famine? Does Mr Lee have a special insight as to how Malays will behave in a crisis?

Such a generalisation is deeply offensive to the Malay community.

But this is not the first time Mr Lee has made such racist and provocative remarks. He has made similar disparaging comments against Singaporean Indians.

To set Mr Lee straight, there were numerous instances during the riots when Singaporeans of different races had banded together to safeguard the community's common well-being against crazy mobs.

If after 50 long years of PAP government the MM still does not have confidence in Singaporeans' solidarity, whose fault is it? Is he laying the fault on the Malays?

The other statement is, according to SDP CEC member Mr Jufrie Mahmood, a more serious one as it touches on the Malays' religious beliefs. Mr Lee said in the interview, "The influence from the Middle East has made them have head-dresses for no rhyme or reason.”

For no rhyme or reason?

"The need to dress modestly, which includes the wearing of head-dresses by Muslim women, is a religious obligation stated in the Quran," Mr Jufrie pointed out. "It has existed for centuries. Is this not reason enough?"

What is even more baffling, says Mr Jufrie, is that there has not been any attempt by the MUIS or the numerous Muslim organisations to correct him.

"For obvious reasons I had not expected the Muslim MPs to do it. But the complete silence from MUIS and other religious leaders is really telling," the SDP leader said. "This incident reminds me of a somewhat similar incident in the seventies.

"Encik Othman Wok, the then minister-in-charge of Muslim affairs had publicly said that he doubted there is such a thing as the hereafter (life after death), which is one of the pillars of the Islamic faith.

"My late father, who was then the President of MUIS, told me that he had gone to see him to tell him that as a Muslim and minister of Muslim affairs he should not have said such a thing.

"Mr Othman Wok's reply was that he was only expressing his personal opinion. He was nevertheless told that it was wrong for him to express it publicly and that he should keep his personal opinion to himself.

"Will the current MUIS President seek to correct the MM? I'm not holding my breath?"

Highfalutin

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I ask the same questions in my own way?

The Chinese are self-centred and selfish. “Well, we make them say the national pledge and sing the national anthem but suppose we have a famine, will your Chinese neighbour give you the last few grains of rice or will she share it with her family or fellow Chinese or vice versa?”

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May I ask the same questions in my own way?

The Chinese are self-centred and selfish. “Well, we make them say the national pledge and sing the national anthem but suppose we have a famine, will your Chinese neighbour give you the last few grains of rice or will she share it with her family or fellow Chinese or vice versa?”

They will....but, if there is money involved they may even offer you their daughters...:wink:

The insight LKY have on his comment is not racist...it is not shouted above the noise, on what 'abang' does when they come across another 'abang'...it is not difficult to guage.

But, have we come together as a nation, regardless of language, race or religion help our fellow brothers in need, that is question, that beg to be answered.

For, we SINgapore have not come that level yet, how would we react, race aside, religion aside, our perceptions of each other aside...if we face a disaster like HAITI..

Will we give our last grain of rice to a fellow human being in need..???

Highfalutin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will we give our last grain of rice to a fellow human being in need..???

I can't answer that question. What I do know is that when someone is hurt or on mortal danger in plain public view, more often than not, it will be an Abang first to the rescue. I say this from my heart inspite of my reservations about they accepting me a fellow creation of the One and Only God.

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is human nature, to save your family first, then friends, then pets, then colleague or neighbours, then stranger in the street.

In emergency like someone bleeding to death, then you just do it, normally you won't ask "Are you a Buddhist?" before extending your assistance.

So lets not racialize everything.