• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

These Popular Dietary Supplements Do Not Lower 'Bad' Cholesterol: Study

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
www.medicaldaily.com

There are many over-the-counter health supplements available in the market that claim they can lower cholesterol levels. But a new study has said six of these supplements are ineffective in doing so.

Supplements, including fish oil, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, plant sterols, and red yeast do not lower "bad" cholesterol levels, the study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology said.

If you’re taking over-the-counter supplements for heart health or for cholesterol-lowering, you should reconsider,” Luke Laffin, the study’s author and co-director of the Center for Blood Pressure Disorders in the Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute at Cleveland Clinic, said, as per HealthNews. “Unfortunately, many U.S. consumers believe cholesterol health supplements are safer than prescription medications and believe supplements are as effective, or more effective than statins.”

For the study, Laffin and his team recruited 190 adults, aged 45-65, for 28 days. The participants were divided into groups based on the drug they were given. The drugs included a placebo, fish oil, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, plant sterols, red yeast rice, as well as a light dosage of 5 mg/day of statin medication, named Rosuvastatin.

It was found at the end of the study that average LDL or bad cholesterol reduction was observed in 37.9% of the volunteers receiving statin.

Meanwhile, the effect on LDL levels in both the dietary supplements and the placebo were equivalent.

In other words, statin turned out to be superior to the six heart supplements in terms of its effect in lowering cholesterol levels.

However, statins do have some side effects, including headache, tiredness, weakness, digestive system issues, sleeping issues, and muscle pain, as per the outlet.

This study gains significance due to the fact that high cholesterol is becoming an epidemic in the U.S. High cholesterol is a precursor to heart disease, which is the leading cause of death in the U.S.

Approximately, 7% of children and teens ages 6 to 19 have high total cholesterol, according to the Center For Disease Control (CDC).

However, the study is limited by its small sample size. Additionally, none of the participants suffered from severe cardiovascular disease, but 42% of the lot had high blood pressure, which is closely associated with high cholesterol.

Another recent study investigated the effects of hot and cold environmental stress on the heart.

"In both studies, we replicated real-world environmental temperatures the body might be exposed to and were able to show physiological responses that could help explain known seasonal variations in cardiovascular deaths," physiologist Justin Lawley from the Department of Sport Science at the University of Innsbruck said.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
More fibre, more exercise, less dairy, less fatty foods. That's all it takes. This change brought my total cholesterol down from 7.3 to 5.2.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fasting works miracles. But few have the discipline. They prefer to swipe an app and let some serf deliver a snack and a bubble tea to their doorstep. :biggrin:

Singapore Dancing Spirit

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best way to lower cholesterol is to eat more fibre n eliminate hydrogenated oils

HAHA

Avoid hawker center food as they tend to use lower grade oil and ajinomoto (MSG) in their Noodles, Manchurian, Soups, etc. Ajinomoto is popularly used as a flavor enhancer in Chinese and Japanese foods. It enhances the flavor of various foods and makes food mouth licking good. But nowadays it is being extensively used in the preparation of packaged foods like chips, biscuits, readymade soup powders, etc.

1672159217133.png

However, the studies on MSG or Ajinomoto prove that it is a silent killer indeed. There are alternatives to MSG to enhance the food flavors in a healthy way. though. Once you know shuck Knick knacks you may not like the Ajnoimoto. I prefer to visit restaurants that says NO MSG.

I was a fan of taking Olive oil or sesame oil extensively in the past. I even pour them into my food, salads for seasoning. However, I do not like the taste of such oil nowadays. But I found out the truth in a hard way. All the oils that you buy from any supermarkets such as NTUC or Cold storage etc., the oil is no longer pure as it is now mixed with crude oil.

Those who have a hypersensitive taste bud like me only can comprehend or understand the following truths.

For example
  1. During 1G - LKY era, if you buy these oils, the oils were very extremely pure not mixed with any crude oil and I believe during LKY era, the Singapore Food Agency SFA maintained the Quality of all imports
  2. 2G era - OIL quality was diluted with 10% of crude oil. Thay means the quality of oil is only 90%. Meaning importers wanted to import low quality products to make higher profit
  3. 3G era - The quality of oil is now well adulterated as the quality of oil is only 25% only. That means if you buy 1L of sesame oil may contain 25% sesame oil + 75% crude oil. Today I do not find any OIL in SG is pure unless you use the oil extractor at home.
When we bring the Meritocracy system into Singapore, we need to get rid of all civil employees who are working in SG agencies as they are not doing any Quality works anymore

More to come

Last edited:

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
here's my two cents.

As we are lower, cholesterol and sugar levels in body are less affected by diets. It comes with age. This is why we need insulins or statins.

As for the supplements mentioned, they don't really reduce cholesterol but some of them a very good antioxidants to fight inflammations and cancer-risk reduction.

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
www.medicaldaily.com

There are many over-the-counter health supplements available in the market that claim they can lower cholesterol levels. But a new study has said six of these supplements are ineffective in doing so.

Supplements, including fish oil, garlic, cinnamon, turmeric, plant sterols, and red yeast do not lower "bad" cholesterol levels, the study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology said.

If you’re taking over-the-counter supplements for heart health or for cholesterol-lowering, you should reconsider,” Luke Laffin, the study’s author and co-director of the Center for Blood Pressure Disorders in the Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute at Cleveland Clinic, said, as per HealthNews. “Unfortunately, many U.S. consumers believe cholesterol health supplements are safer than prescription medications and believe supplements are as effective, or more effective than statins.”

For the study, Laffin and his team recruited 190 adults, aged 45-65, for 28 days. The participants were divided into groups based on the drug they were given. The drugs included a placebo, fish oil, cinnamon, garlic, turmeric, plant sterols, red yeast rice, as well as a light dosage of 5 mg/day of statin medication, named Rosuvastatin.

It was found at the end of the study that average LDL or bad cholesterol reduction was observed in 37.9% of the volunteers receiving statin.

Meanwhile, the effect on LDL levels in both the dietary supplements and the placebo were equivalent.

In other words, statin turned out to be superior to the six heart supplements in terms of its effect in lowering cholesterol levels.

However, statins do have some side effects, including headache, tiredness, weakness, digestive system issues, sleeping issues, and muscle pain, as per the outlet.

This study gains significance due to the fact that high cholesterol is becoming an epidemic in the U.S. High cholesterol is a precursor to heart disease, which is the leading cause of death in the U.S.

Approximately, 7% of children and teens ages 6 to 19 have high total cholesterol, according to the Center For Disease Control (CDC).

However, the study is limited by its small sample size. Additionally, none of the participants suffered from severe cardiovascular disease, but 42% of the lot had high blood pressure, which is closely associated with high cholesterol.

Another recent study investigated the effects of hot and cold environmental stress on the heart.

"In both studies, we replicated real-world environmental temperatures the body might be exposed to and were able to show physiological responses that could help explain known seasonal variations in cardiovascular deaths," physiologist Justin Lawley from the Department of Sport Science at the University of Innsbruck said.
On 1st glance statins appear great. But here's the kicker. While statins lower the cholesterol levels, they do NOT reduce cardiovascular mortality. i.e. take or no take, cholesterol low or not still die from heart disease.

I'm not a professional, so someone who is please feel free to correct me. or seek professional advice yourself.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
HAHA

Avoid hawker center food as they tend to use lower grade oil and ajinomoto (MSG) in their Noodles, Manchurian, Soups, etc. Ajinomoto is popularly used as a flavor enhancer in Chinese and Japanese foods. It enhances the flavor of various foods and makes food mouth licking good. But nowadays it is being extensively used in the preparation of packaged foods like chips, biscuits, readymade soup powders, etc.

View attachment 173898

However, the studies on MSG or Ajinomoto prove that it is a silent killer indeed. There are alternatives to MSG to enhance the food flavors in a healthy way. though. Once you know shuck Knick knacks you may not like the Ajnoimoto. I prefer to visit restaurants that says NO MSG.

I was a fan of taking Olive oil or sesame oil extensively in the past. I even pour them into my food, salads for seasoning. However, I do not like the taste of such oil nowadays. But I found out the truth in a hard way. All the oils that you buy from any supermarkets such as NTUC or Cold storage etc., the oil is no longer pure as it is now mixed with crude oil.

Those who have a hypersensitive taste bud like me only can comprehend or understand the following truths.

For example
  1. During 1G - LKY era, if you buy these oils, the oils were very extremely pure not mixed with any crude oil and I believe during LKY era, the Singapore Food Agency SFA maintained the Quality of all imports
  2. 2G era - OIL quality was diluted with 10% of crude oil. Thay means the quality of oil is only 90%. Meaning importers wanted to import low quality products to make higher profit
  3. 3G era - The quality of oil is now well adulterated as the quality of oil is only 25% only. That means if you buy 1L of sesame oil may contain 25% sesame oil + 75% crude oil. Today I do not find any OIL in SG is pure unless you use the oil extractor at home.
When we bring the Meritocracy system into Singapore, we need to get rid of all civil employees who are working in SG agencies as they are not doing any Quality works anymore

More to come
Are you sure? Your MSG info is LKY time. Its been debunked. Its healthier than normal table salt.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Singapore Dancing Spirit

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is MSG? Is it bad for you?​

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified MSG as a food ingredient that's generally recognized as safe. But its use is still debated. For this reason, when MSG is added to food, the FDA requires it to be listed on the label.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...ert-answers/monosodium-glutamate/faq-20058196

It is a slow killer and must be avoided.
But again, personal choice as it cannot be forced on anyone

Singapore Dancing Spirit

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have. It's conflicting.

this is just an example, I can't find the original studies I read.

https://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(17)30263-2/fulltext

There is a company in Japan who is selling the Ajinomoto extensively in SEA
For the business' sake the company came up with a propaganda that it is safe to eat MSG.
It was already refuted by medical council worldwide

Believe me I have an alternative to MSG to enhance the food flavors though (safe way)

Last edited:

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a company i Japan who is selling the Ajinomoto extensively in SEA
For the business' sake the company came up with a propaganda that it is safe to eat MSG.
It was already refuted by medical council worldwide

Believe me I have an alternative to MSG to enhance the flour though (safe way)
tell me about it. I just got into a very long argument with someone quite close about MSG. They insist that MSG is safe because Ajinomoto puts out press releases about it. Here's one of my favourite points this person brought up : MSG has less sodium by weight than salt (sodium chloride) Therefore to reduce sodium intake substitute with MSG.

WTF??

Have they not figured out to get a similar flavour they need to increase to the dose of MSG? :FU:

Singapore Dancing Spirit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean men are cuter looking than females to promote LGBTQ+ in SG and softer than girls - Ajinomoto play a vital role

I knew it because Satan wants to make Singapore HQ for Gays and to keep this place haven for pinkies
and I discerned the root cause, and it is in the Singaporean Diet immensely

Chinks and m&ds consume extensively, and they also go bald so easily, but it aids to secrete the female hormones in male bodies
and the shitskin go fatter and wider and bald head and their voice also changes

For those who are health conscious:
There is ONLY SALT that sells for HEART PATIENTS in cold storage or NTUC
But this salt is 10 times expensive than normal salt. They have reduced the SODIUM content and it is an iodized salt and packeted exclusively for HEART PATIENTS.

Expect to pay about $4.50 for 350grms

1672227183358.png

Last edited: