• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The undergraduate burglar - Gambling the Cause!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>The undergraduate burglar
[2009] 20 Aug_ST
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=noprint border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=txt-label align=right><NOBR>Title:</NOBR> </TD><TD class=txt-body>The undergraduate burglar</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=txt-label align=right><NOBR>Source:</NOBR> </TD><TD class=txt-body>Straits Times</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=txt-label align=right><NOBR>Author:</NOBR> </TD><TD class=txt-body>Wong Kim Hoh, Senior Writer</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!--EndNoIndex-->
Legal News Archive

<!--lglcntbegin-->HIS hair is cropped close to his head, his bookish pair of glasses perched neatly on the bridge of his nose.
Ming Kit (not his real name) stands quietly, taking his seat only when the prison officer gestures him towards a chair. He nods his head tentatively in greeting before flashing a politely nervous smile.
When told that he looks more like a studious undergraduate than a serial cat burglar, he deadpans with a hint of irony: 'But I am an undergraduate.'
He is not lying. He was a third-year undergraduate, reading economics, when he was arrested for housebreaking in 2006. He was sentenced to 10 years and six months' imprisonment and given 12 strokes of the cane.
If the punishment seems harsh, that's because he is a repeat offender. In 1999, he was sentenced to eight years in jail for stealing cash and valuables after breaking into scores of HDB flats over a three-year period. He was released after serving five years and four months.
It is not the first time someone has told him that there is a disconnect between his clean-cut looks and his misdemeanours.
When he was in primary school, he says, a teacher asked him if he had stolen someone else's appearance. She couldn't believe that a boy who looked so pleasant and obedient could get up to so much mischief.
Ming Kit was just 10 then, but already he was regularly hauled up for fighting and stealing. On more than a few occasions, he was caught shoplifting comics, toys and stationery from shops and stores.
'At first, I did it for the thrill. I would brag to my friends about the things I got,' he candidly admits.
Pep talks and disciplinary action by his teachers did not work; neither did canings and 'thrashings' from his exasperated parents.
In a steady, measured voice, the athletic-looking 29-year-old reveals that he is the eldest of three boys. One of his brothers now works as a manager in a logistics firm; the other is in the police force. His father is a mould-maker, his mother, a housewife.
'I guess I was a bit of a delinquent. I was at the playground a lot and started mixing with the wrong company when I was just seven or eight years old,' he says. Some of his friends were members of secret societies.
'I hung around them and they would buy me soft drinks in coffee shops. They would talk about their gang fights and who bashed whom. Their lives seemed so heroic, not ordinary or mundane,' recalls Ming Kit, whose studies were affected so abysmally that he was retained a couple of years in primary school.
Not surprisingly, he himself became a member of a street gang when he was 13 years old. He began to play truant, and whiled away many afternoons playing snooker and chasing girls in places like Parkway Parade. There were also fights with rival gangs. One took place outside his school when he and four others were set upon by about 10 members of a rival gang brandishing sticks and metal rods.
Not long after, he started to break into flats to support his vices. The catalyst, he says, was a gambling debt.
Ming Kit had learnt how to gamble when he was 10 years old. He fancied himself to be pretty sharp at cards, and once won $3,000 in one night.
Lady Luck, however, did not quite fancy him when he was playing blackjack one day with 'a friend of a friend of a friend'. By the end of that session, the then-16-year-old had chalked up a debt of more than $500.
'Jialat,' he says, using the Hokkien phrase for 'deep trouble'. 'I thought to myself: Even if I worked part-time, I could only pay them back no more than $100 each month.'
He had to find a solution, and fast. That was when he decided to be a burglar. He spent one afternoon studying the block of flats in Choa Chu Kang where he lived with his family and decided it would be a cinch to enter many of the units, especially those with kitchen windows sited next to the staircase landing.
He decided to strike that night and burgled two flats by climbing in through their kitchen windows. His loot that night was a few hundred dollars, enough to stave off his debtors temporarily but not enough to settle the amount he owed.
He struck again a few nights later at the same block, starting with some units on the 12th floor before working his way down two more floors. 'I did about five or six flats that night and got more than enough to pay the debt. In fact, I got a lot extra to spend.'
He was surprised at how easy it was. 'That's why I decided to continue doing it. When you're a teenager, getting so much money so easily is almost like a drug,' he recalls.
Ming Kit decided he would earmark only HDB flats, because unlike condominiums, there were no security guards. He only chose units with kitchen windows next to the staircase landing; he had to be able to grip the edges of the landing and the window with each hand, and there had to be a ledge or some form of support for his feet 'to prevent me from being pulled by gravity'.
He adds: 'Of course the windows had to be open and the staircase landing had to face a school or a field or a highway. That way, the possibility of getting spotted was lower.'
Ming Kit struck only in the early hours of the morning, between 1.30am and 3.30am. He would attempt to break into as many units as possible in one night because he knew he wouldn't be targeting the same block again.
He explains: 'Once victims reported the break-ins to the police, everyone in the block would take precautions and lock their windows.'
At most, he would burgle only 10 flats a night. He would either ride his bicycle or take a cab on his nocturnal jaunts. 'I needed to be back home latest by 5am. Once home, I would shower, lie in bed and pretend to be asleep when my mother came to wake me up for school,' says Ming Kit, who was in Secondary 2 when he pulled off his first job.
He always kitted himself out in a dark top and shorts to avoid being spotted. He put on a cap so that cameras installed in lifts would not be able to capture his face.
And he wore slippers, not shoes, which he would take off before climbing. 'It's not for grip but for sense. If I wore shoes, I would not know how much foothold I have. I didn't use gloves too for the same reason. The sense of touch was very important,' he says.
Save for a pouch around his waist and a small torch, he carried no equipment or tools. 'I would improvise and use whatever I could find in the flat, like screwdrivers,' he says, adding that he would also avoid touching too many things in the flat.
He honed his methods too. 'When I first started, I wasted a lot of time looking through wallets and taking just the cash. It was a lot faster to take the whole thing and dump it later.'

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
His biggest haul was three very crisp $1,000-notes he found in a wallet. A less than stellar night would yield only a few hundred dollars in loot.
Although he never entered bedrooms if he knew there were occupants inside the flat, he has had a few close shaves. 'Once I had just climbed into a flat through the kitchen window when one of the bedroom doors opened and an old woman came out. She saw me and just stared at me. I tried not to panic and very calmly walked to the front door, hoping to open it and make my escape,' he recounts.
But when he realised that he did not have the key to the door, he turned around and walked back into the kitchen before climbing out the window.
'I didn't look at her but I knew she was staring at me all the time. She probably thought she saw a ghost,' he says, chuckling at the memory.
'I was just preying on people's carelessness. They didn't think their homes could get burgled just because they lived in a high-rise building,' says Ming Kit, who has no fear of heights and who has climbed through the windows of units 25 floors above the ground.
Ming Kit was caught while cycling home in the wee hours of one November morning in 1998. He was stopped at a police roadblock. As he had loot on him, he decided to make a dash for it but was nabbed shortly after.
'When they brought me to the Jurong Police Station, I saw a whiteboard full of the addresses of the units I had broken into,' he says. The police apparently already knew they had a serial burglar - whom they had nicknamed 'Spiderman' - on their hands because the fingerprints found in many of the burgled flats were the same.
Five months later, the court sentenced Ming Kit to eight years in jail for more than 119 counts of housebreaking and theft.
When the shock of getting such a stiff sentence had subsided, he decided to apply himself in prison. He retook his O- and A-level examinations, and did well enough to read economics at a local university. He was released after serving five years and four months.
The future seemed promising for Ming Kit after his release. He had another shot at life and one as an undergraduate. But the going was tough. His father was finding it a strain to support both his and his younger brother's tertiary education.
To help out, Ming Kit took on a part-time job and became the night auditor for a foreign university. During term breaks, he also held a day job as an operator in a factory.
But the earnings were meagre. He was also buckling under the pressures of juggling work and studies, and felt alienated from his family and girlfriend.
He claims that depression and desperation made him resort to his old trade. 'I told myself I've caused enough trouble. So I thought, to hell with it, I'll do it again. I didn't know what I was thinking. I was very depressed,' he says, voice quavering.
He says rather bitterly that he didn't get much money this time around. 'In a cashless society, a burglar is never lucky.'
He was caught after a few housebreaking stints because 'I was doing everything the same way. The police came to my house and arrested me'.
A wave of emotion suddenly engulfs Ming Kit and he tries to kill the choke in his throat even as he starts to tear. 'I've disappointed my parents,' he says, taking off his glasses and wiping away his tears with the back of his hand.
He pauses to regain his composure and continues: 'The analogy is that I was jumping out of a plane without a parachute. And why would I jump out without a parachute? Because the plane was on fire, and I was jumping out of the plane to find a parachute.'
He tries not to think about what he has done. 'If I did, I think I will go mad. I'm in here for 10 years. Even with remission, it will be seven solid years before I'm out.'
Instead, he is channelling his energies into making good again. He hopes to complete his degree in prison and is working in the Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (SCORE) Laundry Workshop to help pay for his education.
There are second chances, I say, as the interview wraps up. He takes a deep breath, blinks to stem another tide of tears but stays silent.
[email protected]

<HR SIZE=1 width="50%">
This is the first in a series of four stories, abridged and reproduced from the book Criminal Intent. Launched by the Singapore Prison Service (SPS) early this week, the book tells the real-life stories of 12 offenders now serving time in prison for crimes ranging from rape to robbery.
Criminal Intent is penned by Straits Times senior writer Wong Kim Hoh, who coaxed the inmates, through in-depth interviews, to lay bare their lives, their crimes and the consequences of their actions.
SPS Senior Assistant Director (Public Affairs) Matthew Wee said: 'Criminal Intent represents the Prisons' contribution to the prevention of crime by educating youths and persons-at-risk of the ills of crime and drugs, while arming potential victims with the knowledge of how crimes are commonly committed.'
Criminal Intent is priced at $14 (before GST) and available at all bookstores
Source: Straits Times © Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Permission required for reproduction.