• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The truth behind the 21% electricity hike

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is that so? What about the investment in ABC Learning. We now are told the guy behind this 'MacDonald' of learning was jetting round having great time with his mistress while our astute scholars were recommending this 'lemon' to Temasek. To add insult to injury we are now being blamed for this company's failure because we invested in the company. Is this an example of your 'a long term investment like this will bear fruits beyond imagination'. At this rate our 'goal keeping' president may have to work overtime and give up retirement plans to 'protect' our reserves soon.

This added to the record that Temasick can only do well locally but fumble big time when venture overseas. Even when buying proven business also fumble.

As what the Chinese said, "Rear bird also turn to cock!"

_AXL_

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ordinary folks end up paying suffering unnecessarily because of the mistakes made by these few elites.

reminds me of the starhub EPL bid saga... the man on the street has to pay for the scholars' mistakes of bidding more than 3 times of the nearest bidder...

Since when did he exaggerate. He stated the facts - "whole floor of building for his own office and gold plated bathroom taps". These are facts.

i thought they never found the gold plated taps???:confused: hmm...

Don't believe I'm hearing and seeing this, omg Speaks volumes of your intellect ...and dis-engagement with real life

bro, take a step back and look at this bro division1. he is just regurgitating the crap that we have been putting up with. it is the cold hard truth. the gahmen is like the present jack neo, so divorced from the ground that they r totally incapable of delivering anymore!!! so, just a lot of product positioning and bullshit...

as to this incident, i can emphatise with the scholars who made the bloody blunder. i m sure they didnt want this to happen cos this is a bloody bad mark on their career path. these guys probably panicked a lil bit and made an informed (albeit wrong) decision. it would have been astute for them if crude went up to more than 200 bucks per barrel. (but then again, i would be the least surprised if they still increase the prices, so as to fleece us, the poor common man!!!)

but the truth is that they bloody screwed up!!! so shouldnt an apology, or at least an acknowledgement that they bloody screwed up, be in order??? why??? nobody ever taught them how to apologise, or stand up and be counted??? for that, i m royally miffed!!!:mad:

samurai1110

Alfrescian
Loyal
This added to the record that Temasick can only do well locally but fumble big time when venture overseas. Even when buying proven business also fumble.

As what the Chinese said, "Rear bird also turn to cock!"

Yah! I agree with u totally.
They are only good playing Singapore league football.
World Cup .... forget it not in this century. Maybe if they are allowed to 'mug their books' first then maybe enter prelimary round.

Talking about Chinese. Do u know why inspite of being one of earliest civilisation in the world China only able to play catch-up during the last couple of decades? It was because of the fucked-up examination systems that existed and used during the early dynasties ... it turned out all those fucking useless scholars that screwed up for centuries the success China had earlier.:(

simple minded

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have some questions, maybe someone can enlighten me?

1. Are the MPs working for the general population (us), i always thought democracy is govern of the people, by the people. These politicians are supposed to be our equal, they only represent us collectively, and they are suppose to work for the greater good of us. But i cannot understand these recent price hike, esp since smrt and singapore power are making record profits. SO what is the real reason? - to make more money? but that is akin to killing the goose that lay the golden eggs. I still cannot believe lau lee is so blind / short sighted that he will risk instability in these times.

2. so PAP is no good? We should boot out PAP? and install who in their place? Is kicking out PAP the solution to singapore's problems? Who to lead the goverment? LTK to become the PM? and all the problems that we face as a nation would be resolved when that happens? do we have a viable opposition leader who can take the lead, and do a better job? have the acumen and cunning to handle the various parties with vested interest that is necessary to form the new govt?

3. is there more that we can do for the country? are we prepared to do more for the country? can we help create a climate that is conducive for someone to stand up and say he will take a lead. someone with enough charisma to gather a group of people who will follow and keep track of policies, and work as a watchdog, and at the same time, ready to take over should the incumbent stray from the mission that they were voted in to do for us? are we prepared to help put up resources to make this happen? how much are we prepared to contribute, in what form?

Sorry, i also do not have the answers, but knowing the rules of the game, and how politically naive singaporeans are.. is there a better way to improve the country besides taking pot shots in SBF? are we even interested in improving the country for ourselves and our children?

can we do more? and how?

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah! ....

Talking about Chinese. Do u know why inspite of being one of earliest civilisation in the world China only able to play catch-up during the last couple of decades? It was because of the fucked-up examination systems that existed and used during the early dynasties ... it turned out all those fucking useless scholars that screwed up for centuries the success China had earlier.:(

The primary duty of those Mandarin scholars who were trained in Confucius teachings was to serve their master - the emperor.

The garment makes sure that the system is inherited here for local use. Lau Lee was apparently very impressed by the system. Until very recently, he was still talking about the "zhuang yuan jie" (状元街) in Su Zhou, China.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought he was relegated.
Apparently he's the only one in the whole league. :smile:

That was what I thought too. Must be a restucturing excercise conducted and his masters felt he has the best sucking technique and retained him. :eek:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

The scholar system is not the root of the problem. The root problem is this so called Asian value of submitting to authority, respecting your elders, or whatever name you want to call it. Respect is a 2-way street. It is important to respect your elders (and by extrapolation, the leaders) but the elders also need to respect the rights of others' to challenge their decisions. Because no matter how experienced or wise they may be, there will be times when they may not have taken the best decisions (for personal reasons or simply due to a lapse in judgement). The end result of this Asian values philosophy is that it will always give rise to strongmen regimes, strongmen who themselves dare to challenge authority. This Asian values thing is invented by the strongmen so that the population will be meek and they can rule with an iron fist (democracy is anathema to them).

I am all for preserving culture and heritage but there is also a need to look at how certain values may be detrimental to society. In this, I am not hopeful as Chinese society is infamous for sticking to tradition in almost every situation. One good example is the obsession with this scholar issue. Having scholars is good but not to the extent of sheltering them and grooming them to be leaders as if they are a breed of champion show dogs.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..take a step back and look at this bro division1. he is just regurgitating the crap ...so divorced from the ground that they r totally incapable of delivering anymore!!! so, just a lot of product positioning and bullshit...
Won't bend my back for him:p or his sloganeering, ad nauseam.
...can emphatise with the scholars who made the bloody blunder. ...probably panicked a lil bit and made an informed (albeit wrong) decision. it would have been astute for them if crude went up to more than 200 bucks per barrel. (but then again, i would be the least surprised if they still increase the prices, so as to fleece us, the poor common man!!!)
but the truth is that they bloody screwed up!!! ...at least an acknowledgement that they bloody screwed up, be in order??? why??? nobody ever taught them how to apologise, or stand up and be counted??? for that, i m royally miffed!!!
Fair's fair. Nobody's got divine peek into future. Even non-scholarly smarty pants just as able to bet long...ooops, wrong -not come clean or make amends? Or is our stumbling block also about water face, not far removed from 'too healthy' (as observed by some kweilo colleague) respect for authority :biggrin:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Are the MPs working for the general population (us), i always thought democracy is govern of the people, by the people.

Yes, it is supposed to work that way in democracy, but have you experienced meeting up with your MP? Many have done so and came away with the conclusion that majority of MPs work for their own interest.

2. Is kicking out PAP the solution to singapore's problems? Who to lead the goverment?

Do you know why there is an apparent lack of alternatives? Have you not seen what the PAP does to anyone who would seem to be a threat to them? This situation will continue to be so as long as the PAP is allowed to remain in power. How does this help in the long term good for Singapore and Singaporeans?

3. someone with enough charisma to gather a group of people who will follow and keep track of policies, and work as a watchdog, and at the same time, ready to take over should the incumbent stray from the mission that they were voted in to do for us? are we prepared to help put up resources to make this happen? how much are we prepared to contribute, in what form?

Same argument as in answer to your question 2. Do you think the PAP is going to allow for someone, anyone whether with or without charisma, to take the lead and gather a group of people to provide an alternative view and come away unpunished? Did you not hear what the PM said about "fixing the opposition"? And if you did, do you fully understand what he means?

are we even interested in improving the country for ourselves and our children?

can we do more? and how?

Sure, everyone here wants to see improvement to our country, the people and our children. This is the reason why discussions are held in this forum. What other measures do you suggest?

dominion

Alfrescian
Loyal
me thinks division is just trying to attract flax with his overtly sycophantic remarks; this being largely a haunt for netizens disgruntled with pap or gvt...

a sarcastic man or a masochist perhaps?

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
me thinks division is just trying to attract flax with his overtly sycophantic remarks; this being largely a haunt for netizens disgruntled with pap or gvt...

Nevertheless, his sycophantic remarks must be countered vigorously because this is an open forum and he can cause confusion with impressionable forummers.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...division is just trying to attract flax with his overtly sycophantic remarks; this being largely a haunt for netizens disgruntled with pap or gvt..
You give him too much credit. Detractors here don't need his taunting. Neither his propagandic pieces deserve any reading more into:p

samurai1110

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having scholars is good but not to the extent of sheltering them and grooming them to be leaders as if they are a breed of champion show dogs.

Champion Show Dogs have to be lead around the ring by their handlers. They basically are very obedient and do whatever is required of them by their handlers ... exactly what our scholars are trained and brainwashed to do by the examination system. They are very good followers and are very lacking in the decision-making department and they therefore make very good civil servants .... always say no, never question just do and promotions and salary increase will come automatically:(