• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Government didn't ask me to stand: Tony Tan

• I believe Tony Tan is an independant candidate

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I believe Tony Tan is a lying piece of shit

Votes: 19 95.0%

• Total voters

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ex-DPM resigns as executive director of GIC and chairman of SPH
04:47 AM Jun 24, 2011
by Leong Wee Keat

SINGAPORE - Despite presidential hopeful Tony Tan's assertions of his independence, the spectre of his past ties with the People's Action Party (PAP) loomed large yesterday at a press conference where he confirmed his decision to throw his hat into the ring after weeks of speculation.

At the press conference, which was also attended by prominent bloggers and citizen journalists, Dr Tan, 71, said that he has resigned from the PAP and was standing as an independent candidate. He added that he was neither approached nor endorsed by the PAP Government to stand in the election, which could see him go head-to-head with former PAP Member of Parliament Tan Cheng Bock and ex-NTUC Income CEO Tan Kin Lian.

Dr Tony Tan had spent 27 years as a Member of Parliament, helming various ministries before retiring from politics in 2005. Between 1992 and 1995, he left the Government to become chairman of OCBC Bank.

"My candidacy does not have the backing of any political party and I am not seeking such backing," said the former Deputy Prime Minister, who will be resigning from his current position as vice-chairman and executive director of the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC).

He added: "It was my own decision." Dr Tan, however, said he had informed GIC chairman - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong - "as a matter of protocol" of his intention to resign and contest the election.

Still, questions about his links to the PAP flowed thick and fast.

Asked whether his PAP background would count against him or work in his favour, Dr Tan said it would be "for Singaporeans to decide". Has the Government suggested to him to stand for Presidency? "The answer is no," Dr Tan replied.

Dr Tan was also asked if his candidacy was influenced by former Foreign Minister George Yeo's decision not to contest the Elected Presidency. Dr Tan replied he has been watching the political climate "closely". He added: "This is the right time for me to come forward ... to present myself as a candidate."

Apart from resigning from GIC, Dr Tan is also stepping down as chairman of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) - both resignations will take effect from July 1. While there is "no legal requirement" to resign from GIC and SPH, Dr Tan said he did so "to avoid the appearance of conflict of interest". He also resigned from SPH "to remove any doubts about SPH's media independence", he said.

SPH said it will appoint Dr Cham Tao Soon as acting chairman while it searches for a suitable candidate while GIC said Dr Tan is working with its management on the leadership transition.

His bid for presidency is "possibly risky", Dr Tan noted. "I'm not running because I am convinced that I will win, but because I know in the present circumstances, it is my responsibility to step forward and to try," he said. He could not "remain a spectator" while Singapore faces "complex challenges", Dr Tan added.

When asked how he would conduct his campaign, Dr Tan reiterated Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean's earlier point that the election should be suitably dignified - a response that led a journalist to question if Dr Tan would be concerned about appearing to sing from the same hymn sheet as the Government.

Dr Tan said: "I must say what I believe and I must say what I think is good for Singapore. If it happens to coincide with some of the views expressed by ministers, well it is up to the people of Singapore to judge."

He added: "But I don't think it is the job of the Presidential candidate to express ... views for the sake of just being different. I don't think that is likely to advance the future of Singapore and Singaporeans."

Political scientist Lam Peng Er told Today that Dr Tan's move to distance himself from the PAP could "appear quite tenuous to many Singaporeans". "He was then-Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew's first choice to be his successor," Dr Lam noted.

With all three presidential hopefuls seemingly adopting the same stance - even though they were all former PAP members - political observers said they were not surprised, given the swing in the national mood against the PAP during the recent General Election.

Said former Nominated MP Siew Kum Hong: "A formal Government endorsement is likely to be a poison chalice this time round."
Dr Tony Tan on ...

The role of the President in policy formulation:

"The Government is presently reviewing all the policies and I believe that it is not the responsibility of the President to try and suggest changes in policies. That is the job of the Government, not of the President. Obviously, the President would have his own views, and if the Government of the day feels that the views may be helpful and the President may be free to suggest his views. I would like to stress again there is only one power centre in Singapore and that is the Government of the day. The Presidency is not a second power centre in Singapore and should not be a second power centre to rival the Government. Otherwise, there would be chaos. It is up to the Government to see what the policies can be executed, what policies are needed, because they have to go to the people in order to renew their mandate."

Looking after the reserves:

"The President has custodial duties to ensure the reserves are properly managed. In my current position at GIC, I know the President has full knowledge of what GIC does, what is the state of the reserves. If I'm elected as the President, I would fulfill these duties. It may perhaps be an advantage having worked in GIC ... and being a director of GIC since it was established in 1981. I probably know as much about the management of the reserves as anyone in Singapore. This could be an advantage in the President exercising his custodial responsibility with regards to looking after the reserves."
URL http://www.todayonline.com/Singapor...he-Government-didnt-ask-me-to-stand--Tony-Tan

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I didnt ask for it but the paycheck is good, cho bo lan and can write book using the official time i cannot resist and pls let me have it.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
60% of our countrymen will believe in everything Tony said..

While we the 40% knew that this Tony is a lying piece of shit..:mad:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. aiyoh! why not then?
2. free monies as much 4mil.
3. any sheep or idiot shall try.
4. the other interesting thing is that who is the miw elected nominee would be?
5. another sheep in the making or what!

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TT is not lying but rather stating a half-truth.

Don't need to government to endorse him. Just ask him if anyone from PAP (aka- the FamiLEE) asked him to stand.

Just like how Temasick and Singapore's PM can sleep under the same roof but have no conflict of interests, this is classic PAP bullshit that Singaporeans love to be fed with.

Last edited:

goldenmonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote: "The Government didn't ask me to stand: Tony Tan"

Ya rite, there is more chance that Monica Lewingski had a cock and Bill has been sucking on it.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SHIT TIMES have allocated him full pages and painted him like God, this was similar to what GY received when he lose Aljunied GRC. If Tony Tan is not PARTISAN candidate what is.

From now onwards, expect SHIT TIMES to play dirty on almost daily basis!

Airlib

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only few candidates that I strongly believe the govt didn't ask them to stand is the old man trying to gather funds online and the prata seller or something...
The rest of those standing... Surely have been selected by the oracle one lah

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, we know the govt DID NOT. LKY did.

Exactly. GIC is sacred ground. Chairman used to be LKY now replaced by LHL. And deputy chairman is none other than Tony Tan.

Temasek is control by LHL's wife. So in effect all reserves are controlled by the family. Tony Tan as deputy chairman is trusted by family and likewise he can be trusted to do the right thing as President