• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TCB whack Sham

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://news.xin.msn.com/en/singapore/article.aspx?cp-documentid=5136042

SINGAPORE: Presidential hopeful Dr Tan Cheng Bock has rebutted Law Minister K Shanmugam’s recent comments on the Elected Presidency.

He said the comments have set the stage for confrontation between the Presidency and the Prime Minister.

Dr Tan was referring to a public forum last week where Mr Shanmugam had said whether the PM listens to the President’s advice or not would depend on the quality of the advice and the quality of the person.

In a press statement on Monday, Dr Tan said the President would have been deemed to have the necessary qualities by the Presidential Election Committee which issues the Certificate of Eligibility. And this would have been further endorsed by the people of Singapore who vote for him.

Dr Tan asked if Mr Shanmugam was questioning the decision of the Committee and the voters.

He said he hoped the view was not shared by the Prime Minister.

http://www.tanchengbock.org/

It is important that the President works within the boundaries laid out in the Constitution. The Presidency must not be a centre of power. This is to avoid confrontation. The office of the people’s elected President must work with the government in a proper and correct manner in the interest of Singapore. This is important or both offices will always be in a state of tension and the country suffers. This is the stage that should be set for the future relationship of the two offices especially in the light of the current world economic climate.

The Minister of Law said that whether the PM listens to the President’s advice depends on the ‘quality of the advice’ and the ‘quality of the person’,whether the President is ‘wise,knowledgeable and experienced’. The President would have been deemed to have the necessary qualities by virtue of his being issued the Certificate of Eligibility. This is further endorsed by the people of Singapore who have voted for him. Is the Minister questioning the decision of the Presidential Elections Committee and the choice of the voters?

The Minister of Law has set the stage of confrontation between the President and the PM when he speaks of the different level of respect the PM will give depending on who the elected President. Is he saying the choice of the voters of Singapore matters little? This is a very judgmental approach to the office of a Presidency elected by all Singaporeans. It amounts to “I will hear you if I respect you and if I like you”. I hope this view is not shared by the PM.

This is not good for Singapore. It is starting on the wrong footing for the elected candidate as he will be watching how the PM is going to relate to him. This is very serious as it creates a high level of suspicion between the two. It has become personal and reflects poorly on the two institutions. If the attitude is of this nature there is bound to have confrontation not from the President but from non co-operation by the government in power. Is this what we want?

Singaporeans want harmony and fair play. THERE MUST BE MUTUAL RESPECT for the government of the day and the Presidency as both are elected by Singaporeans.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCB-and-OTC.jpg

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object height="385" width="480">A stroll down memory lane. CST at his best...
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/241543C87A20EBC2?version=3&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

thefarside

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shanmugam is but a point man for this issue. Remember in the GE he tried to take the hatchet to WP in the co-driver ding dong. Same here.

PAP is generally very organised when it comes to presenting their public position, or attacking various issues / people. The recent past GE is somewhat of an anomaly, where their old folks ran amok. Good thing as well. We need LKY to come out and thrash the other candidates as being completely not credible, and if it the voters pick them they would be fools and would repent for six years.

sense

Alfrescian
Loyal
Same blah, different fate.

MBT: "HDB blah blah blah..."... sacked!
Sham: "EP blah blah blah..."... still safe.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the bigger picture, the unscripted comments of our various ministers at public functions reflect their lack of depth, intellect and empathy at the street level. The quality of the ministers is NOT impressive at all. Sham is a Senior Counsel, Law Minister and he should be the last person to fumble and to "clarify" things that he said in public, and which are recorded

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
As much as I disagree with some of Mr Shamugam's arguments, his main point is right on the money.

The Elected President's role is clearly defined. Singaporeans and more importantly, the candidates should understand this. TKL and TCB talk about speaking up for the common man and protecting their rights. But, we already have an institution for this. Its called Parliament. It is the opposition MPs job in Parliament to speak up for the common man and protect his rights. Although, they are up against a big majority for the Govt, I'm sure they will do their best. If the people are not happy with government policies, then they should elect more opposition MPs and get a greater voice in Parliament to try and influence or even change these policies. The Elected President can make all the noise he wants in private but he cannot influence or change policy.... To put it bluntly, in his constitutional role, he can object to certain senior public appointments but he cannot name his alternatives. He can object to using past reserves but he cannot suggest using it for anything.

Lest you guys start jumping on me, I would like to state here that I've been voting since 1984 in every elections and I've never ticked the box next to the lightning sign. Nothing personal, its just some of their policies that I'm strongly against. And of course, I had a choice, Mr Chiam See Tong....

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As much as I disagree with some of Mr Shamugam's arguments, his main point is right on the money.

Lest you guys start jumping on me, I would like to state here that I've been voting since 1984 in every elections and I've never ticked the box next to the lightning sign. Nothing personal, its just some of their policies that I'm strongly against. And of course, I had a choice, Mr Chiam See Tong....

I share the same sentiment with you, Chiam See Tong at the current stae of health won't do, though many would want him. I would not tick next to any incumbent, who had feed on the 'lighning sign' table. You do not bite the hand that feeds you or had fed you.