• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TCB in Lord of the Rings

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 1971,Former Member of Parliament,Dr Tan Cheng Bock (68 years old,) gave up the opportunity to practise medicine in the private sector and went on to set up his clinic in the village.

When asked the reason for doing so,Dr Tan said he believed that as a medical doctor he should put to good use what he had studied.

“Working as a doctor in the private setup treating patients with flu and cough symptoms will not have given me the same satisfaction.”

Dr Tan opened his clinic at 292 Yio Chu Kang Road,a vacant shop house,with the help of a friend’s brother. As the clinic was located at the junction of Yio Chu Kang Road and Ama Keng Road,the clinic was named “Ama Keng Clinic”.

“When I bought my wife there,her first reaction was “Are you sure you want to run your clinic here? The place is so rural.” But I told her it was an ideal location.”

Those days Dr Tan had to drive for one hour daily from Margaret Drive,where he lived,to his clinic at Yio Chu Kang. The clinic had three nurses to assist him.

He reminisced that the clinic was usually crowded with patients with about 70 to 100 patients visiting the clinic daily. This kept him very busy. Sometimes he could only leave the clinic after 10 pm at night after seeing the last patient and by the time he reached home it would be 11 pm.

“I had given no thought about how much money to make. Sometimes I would receive items such as chickens,eggs and durians from the villagers. I remembered one patient gave me a whole pig. My friends and I roasted the pig and we had a roasted pig feast.”

Dr Tan mentioned that,as a village doctor,the greatest challenge was to be able to handle situations that would include ferrying very sick patients to the hospitals,as help was not readily available.

Dr Tan was well loved by the villagers at Yio Chu Kang and when he relocated his clinic to Jurong West after 10 over years there,the residents at Yio Chu Kang still visited him at his new clinic.

There was once a dad brought his baby to Dr Tan for treatment of asthma and when he had no money to pay for the medical fee,he gave his wedding ring to Dr Tan. Dr Tan refused to accept it and gave the dad a good scolding. “I told him to bring his kid for treatment whenever the kid was ill. This lasted 10 over years and I had never charged him for the medical fees.”

About 10 Years ago,a young man visited Dr Tan’s clinic one fine day and brought along with him a hamper for Dr Tan. Dr Tan could recognise him immediately as the baby whom he gave free treatment to. Dr Tan says “the young man told him that his mum had insisted he sent the hamper to me. This was the only one gift I had accepted since I became a member of parliament in 1980. This is the joy of a doctor.”

Last edited:

sharingan83

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 1971,Former Member of Parliament,Dr Tan Cheng Bock (68 years old,) gave up the opportunity to practise medicine in the private sector and went on to set up his clinic in the village.

When asked the reason for doing so,Dr Tan said he believed that as a medical doctor he should put to good use what he had studied.

“Working as a doctor in the private setup treating patients with flu and cough symptoms will not have given me the same satisfaction.”

Dr Tan opened his clinic at 292 Yio Chu Kang Road,a vacant shop house,with the help of a friend’s brother. As the clinic was located at the junction of Yio Chu Kang Road and Ama Keng Road,the clinic was named “Ama Keng Clinic”.

“When I bought my wife there,her first reaction was “Are you sure you want to run your clinic here? The place is so rural.” But I told her it was an ideal location.”

Those days Dr Tan had to drive for one hour daily from Margaret Drive,where he lived,to his clinic at Yio Chu Kang. The clinic had three nurses to assist him.

He reminisced that the clinic was usually crowded with patients with about 70 to 100 patients visiting the clinic daily. This kept him very busy. Sometimes he could only leave the clinic after 10 pm at night after seeing the last patient and by the time he reached home it would be 11 pm.

“I had given no thought about how much money to make. Sometimes I would receive items such as chickens,eggs and durians from the villagers. I remembered one patient gave me a whole pig. My friends and I roasted the pig and we had a roasted pig feast.”

Dr Tan mentioned that,as a village doctor,the greatest challenge was to be able to handle situations that would include ferrying very sick patients to the hospitals,as help was not readily available.

Dr Tan was well loved by the villagers at Yio Chu Kang and when he relocated his clinic to Jurong West after 10 over years there,the residents at Yio Chu Kang still visited him at his new clinic.

There was once a dad brought his baby to Dr Tan for treatment of asthma and when he had no money to pay for the medical fee,he gave his wedding ring to Dr Tan. Dr Tan refused to accept it and gave the dad a good scolding. “I told him to bring his kid for treatment whenever the kid was ill. This lasted 10 over years and I had never charged him for the medical fees.”

About 10 Years ago,a young man visited Dr Tan’s clinic one fine day and brought along with him a hamper for Dr Tan. Dr Tan could recognise him immediately as the baby whom he gave free treatment to. Dr Tan says “the young man told him that his mum had insisted he sent the hamper to me. This was the only one gift I had accepted since I became a member of parliament in 1980. This is the joy of a doctor.”

I dont get it.. simi lord of the rings?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes it is Lim Chu Kang Road.

This article downplays the respect, the admiration and love that he received and receives from the residents of Singapore's rural west. He is not known as the God of Ama Keng for nothing.

The guy is a living legend. I could never understand why he ever joined the PAP. A blemish that he will have to carry with him. To his credit he continued to speak his mind during his term in Parliament.

Juz some correction guys..it's Lim Chu Kang..not Yio Chu Kang.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm touched upon reading the things that Dr TCB did for his poor patients..

TCB is a good man.. too bad he joined the wrong party.

But He's indeed a man with the golden heart.. Caring and showering his sincere concern for the well being of ordinary folks. Without tempting fate, he makes a good President.... he could be the the ''People's President''.