• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian: SMRT strike arrests could strain S'pore-China ties

Extremist

Alfrescian
Loyal
20110609.104939_110609-tkl.jpg

Former president hopeful Mr Tan Kin Lian is saying that the recent bus strike issue is likely to lead to a diplomatic row that could turn quite ugly, if it is not being handled properly.

Mr Tan Kin Lian's comments:

The authority decides to charge 4 SMRT bus drivers for instigating an illegal strike involving an essential service.

The Chinese embassy in Singapore has expressed concern about the arrest action being taken against their nationals working in Singapore urging for their rights to be protected and for a solution to be found calmly.

This is likely to lead to a diplomatic row that could turn quite ugly, if it is not being handled properly. Here are the issues at stake:

1) There is a law involving an illegal strike and disruption of essential public service, which the Singapore authority has to enforce.

2) The 4 “instigators” could feel that they are expressing their grievance over pay and working conditions and unfair discrimination.

3) It is possible that many of the foreign bus drivers could have paid a large sum of money to come and work in Singapore. They probably found the cost of living and the terms of employment to be unsatisfactory and they are now stuck with these terms, and they have no avenues to express their grievance. Their government would probably be required to take their side to protect their “human rights”.

4) This incident could probably put the employment and other practices in Singapore in an unfavorable light, especially the weak bargaining position of not only the foreign workers, but the local workers as well. It would also show some of the laws in Singapore to be unjust.

5) It is probable that the 4 “instigators were initially not aware about the law in Singapore and have not been advised. It might be possible that they were warned and they did not care anyway, as they have “nothing more to lose”.

Whatever is the situation, it will be difficult for the Singapore authority to enforce the law harshly, considering the circumstances. A better way is for the authority to get the help of the Chinese embassy to solve this issue. A good outcome is for these 4 “instigators” to be let off and even allowed to return home with passage given by the government or their embassy. After that, we will have to review our practices and some laws that are perceived to be unjust.

Tan Kin Lian

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
When faced by Big Bro(hq), Sgp will act like provincial govt..
Will sgp ever allow China to berth at Changi Naval base? Its a
difficult decision to make

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for stating the obvious Mr 'I lost my deposit'. :rolleyes:

P.S: The Chinese embassy won't give a fuck to solving issues in a minnow country. China has bigger things to take care of.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
TKL cannot fade away gracefully after getting under 5% at the PE. In fact after his massive loss of face it seems that he is deliberately trying to attain a public profile to indicate that he was not affected by getting 4.91% of the votes.

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun think chn will support those strikers to fight for better wages.

chn is also guilty of paying low wages too.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't think so lah. China embassy gave go ahead binya:o.

These Orang Cina...know what they sign before they come here, and SMRT besar nama you know...they must have heard its is some body , "bapak company"...why don't they blame themselves for being bodoh, never look before the sign.

No excuses...:mad:

Last edited:

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
These Orang Cina...know what they sign before they come here, and SMRT besar nama you know...they must have heard its is some body , "bapak company"...why don't they blame themselves for being bodoh, never look before the sign.

No excuses...:mad:

I think the dispute here is not on the terms and conditions of employment but more on the unfair and ambiguity of
SMRT human resource policies and practices on remuneration, reward and promotion .

Their starting base salary is already offset to reflect the cost of living allowance provided by SMRT. So going forward,
shouldn't all subsequent pay adjustments be based only on merits and performance across the entire spectrum of
SMRT drivers?

Why is there such a great differential? Is SMRT HR trying to justify that cost of living allowance increases proportionately
with each and every pay increase as whitewashed in MSM? If yes, very soon, they will be making profit from cost of
living deduction from employees.

Also, I don't see any issue for any and all private and public citizens (TKL inclusive) to speak up on this issue so
as to provide a broad base learning experience from the merits and demerits of this case.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TKL cannot fade away gracefully after getting under 5% at the PE. In fact after his massive loss of face it seems that he is deliberately trying to attain a public profile to indicate that he was not affected by getting 4.91% of the votes.

You can trust him to screw things up, with or without advice from the Captain.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the dispute here is not on the terms and conditions of employment but more on the unfair and ambiguity of
SMRT human resource policies and practices on remuneration, reward and promotion .

Their starting base salary is already offset to reflect the cost of living allowance provided by SMRT. So going forward,
shouldn't all subsequent pay adjustments be based only on merits and performance across the entire spectrum of
SMRT drivers?

Why is there such a great differential? Is SMRT HR to try to justify cost of living allowance increases proportionately
with each and every pay increase as whitewashed in MSM? If yes, very soon, they will be making profit from cost of
living deduction from employees.

Also, I don't see any issues for any and all private and public citizens (TKL inclusive) to speak up on this issue so
as to provide a broad view learning experience from the merits and demerits of this case.

I will still come back to my point, they are aware what they sign for before they got here, it is written very clearly in the contract. It is management goodwill on benefits & which management is so good to treat the lower rung ones with such good terms & conditions..thank your lucky stars in SINgapore..if any management is good & fair to you..China men is at the bottom of the barrel..period! & known to be trouble makers. They should read the fine line before signing & leaving ther comfortable homeland!

As for TKL comment, the sovereignty of SINgapore must be respected, they broke the law , by walking off their jobs all 102, & 4 of them inciting a strike & 1 of them going on-line to incite whatever that is..isn't that an tantamount to inciting a riot? Why do we kowotow to China now? since it is money they want, it is money they get..working here! & we investing there??

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
TKL is going to complain again that we will say nasty things about him. What an idiot! And what fortune we never have him as our President. What are 4 to them when there are millions back in China? Even if all 102 had been charged, the Chinese govt will not be able to do anything. If they had done the same thing in China, they would have been dragged out and shot.

The only reaction will be from the ordinary man in the streets and the internet keyboard warriors who will instigate others to give Singapore businesses there trouble. But I care less. They who live by the sword die by the sword. You want to make money in China, you got to be aware that the PRC mentality is that of a thug.

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
I will still come back to my point, they are aware what they sign for before they got here, it is written very clearly in the contract. It is management goodwill on benefits & which management is so good to treat the lower rung ones with such good terms & conditions..thank your lucky stars in SINgapore..if any management is good & fair to you..China men is at the bottom of the barrel..period! & known to be trouble makers. They should read the fine line before signing & leaving ther comfortable homeland!

As for TKL comment, the sovereignty of SINgapore must be respected, they broke the law , by walking off their jobs all 102, & 4 of them inciting a strike & 1 of them going on-line to incite whatever that is..isn't that an tantamount to inciting a riot? Why do we kowotow to China now? since it is money they want, it is money they get..working here! & we investing there??

Without previse to the contract of employment, I cannot comment on your assertion that they are aware that cost of living deduction is applicable for each and every pay increase.

Meanwhile, SMRT has recognised their shortfalls in HR policies implementation as highlighted in their press conferences "SMRT says there are lessons from ...." Read The Press:biggrin:

LoL

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Without previse to the contract of employment, I cannot comment on your assertion that they are aware that cost of living deduction is applicable for each and every pay increase.

Meanwhile, SMRT has recognised their shortfalls in HR policies implementation as highlighted in their press conferences "SMRT says there are lessons from ...." Read The Press:biggrin:

LoL

Unless SMRT "cheated" them or they are so deficient in their HR practice it is indeed alarming then!!. I am sure they have their accountants & lawyers who will read the contracts before finalizing them or even HR practices...unless you tell me, they all have been collecting salaries & is sleeping on the job. Then, it is not SMRT HR is sleeping on the job, every one that is connected is including M.O.M. etc..

The whole country is sleeping on the job, what do you think?? & this is going to be another, we learn a lesson & improve upon it episode is it? Then, the next will be a big one, that will so US ALL IN! this I shudder!

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless SMRT "cheated" them or they are so deficient in their HR practice it is indeed alarming then!!. I am sure they have their accountants & lawyers who will read the contracts before finalizing them or even HR practices...unless you tell me, they all have been collecting salaries & is sleeping on the job. Then, it is not SMRT HR is sleeping on the job, every one that is connected is including M.O.M. etc..

The whole country is sleeping on the job, what do you think?? & this is going to be another, we learn a lesson & improve upon it episode is it? Then, the next will be a big one, that will so US ALL IN! this I shudder!

I think exploitation is a more appropriate word! Anyway you can follow the concerns raised by MOM, MPs and Unionists
on SMRT practices in mainstream media. You can also participate in our forum discussion here:-

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?135828-MOM-MPs-Asked-SMRT-TO-WAKE-UP-!!!

Cheers

Last edited:

Sentinel

Alfrescian
Loyal
TKL can blog what he likes, but after his defeat, I think he lost a lot of his readership. That Freddy guy who was with him during his campaign is one sia-lan dick.