• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Kin Lian: Show me the 100,000 signatures

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
(1) TKL seems to be saying that he will stand for P or GE (The 60-year-old former chief executive officer of NTUC Income told The Sunday Times he is considering standing as Singapore's next elected president or contesting in the next general election as an independent candidate.)

(2) GMS initially wrote that he is creating an online petition to get TKL to stand in GE

(3) GMS recently wrote that he is creating an online petition for TKL to stand for P

(4) So: which is which?
(i) P or

(ii) GE or

(iii) after getting two sets of petition, he decide to honour the people's requests and stand for both?

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
TKL seems to be saying that he will stand for P or GE (The 60-year-old former chief executive officer of NTUC Income told The Sunday Times he is considering standing as Singapore's next elected president or contesting in the next general election as an independent candidate.)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: that leaves the incumbent guessing too, isn't it? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it's TKL's mental game. He will runs, anyway. I guess he wants all ppl to bond together and get confidence against PAP. I'll vote for him and will ask my family members, relatives, friends and colleagues to vote for Tan Kin Lian.
Change It. Enough Is Enough.

My bet is that he will win a seat in GE hands down if there is no 3 cornered fight. His best approach is to go for a single seat ward.

He has no hope in PE. The PAP has upped the salary of the President 2 times in stages since the last PE and they will get a very respected captain of industry. Anyway the office is basically a showboat.

maituleow

Alfrescian
Loyal
TKL work for NTUC income for donkey years and he is also the one who questions the Insurance policies he sells. Now he is also caught up with the Bank notes issue...being the top man in insurance can we say he is naive and not aware of the risks involved . He is tapping onto the uncles and aunties to garner support for a Elected MP position. If he is smart he would just enjoy his wealth and stay out of the limelight. Do u think the government will endorsed him after his self professed ambitions?????

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: that leaves the incumbent guessing too, isn't it? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

For these types of situation, the incumbent is well prepared either way.

Whilst things may not be certain, there is one thing that we can be very sure of - the incumbent will not be caught by surprise from this point on.

This is only a guess:

(1) he is not certain - unlikely

(2) he wants both for hedging purposes - possibly

(3) he actually wants the presidency and saying it out loud at this time will be met with derisive comments - possibly; so this is a testing of the ground

(4) he actually wants to be an opposition MP and saying it out loud at this time will be met with derisive comments - unlikely; on the contrary, it will be met with loud cheers by moderate voters everywhere; there is no need to test the ground on this

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My bet is that he will win a seat in GE hands down if there is no 3 cornered fight. His best approach is to go for a single seat ward.

He has to join an opposition party in order to avoid any 3-corner fight. The opposition parties will divide out the 8 or 9 SMCs among themselves and no SMC will go uncontested. Any independent candidate contesting any SMC is sure to face a 3-corner fight.

However, if he joins an opposition party, he'll need to fit into overall party strategy which may or may not require him in a team to contest a GRC.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TKL work for NTUC income for donkey years and he is also the one who questions the Insurance policies he sells.

To be fair to him, he didn't question the policies sold under him. He questioned the changes made by the new management to policies sold under him.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Cory Aquino's 1 million was offline, er no online at that time:biggrin: Btw I note with interest WayangParty's reference to Cory's campaign after I first mentioned it in here:p

Oh and as I said in another thread, I think perhaps TKL should have waited until the Structured Financial Products debacle had cleared up to some extent at least before going down this path. Perhaps too quick and too soon.

Dear Porifirio

100,000 signatures is a hell of a lot of work, of course I am talking 100,000 off line and not 100,000 on line petitions. Anyways if he can get 100,000 of line signatures he should be looking to set up a political party and gathering people to challenge the PAP for its rule over Singapore.

Locke

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps.

Btw why does TKL need to win over the "hardcore opposition camp" since they only amount to 20%? I would have thought TKL is better off targetting the centre ground who only appear to vote PAP because of pragmatism.

Oh and I see that WayangParty made reference to Cory's campaign only after I mentioned the same in this forum:biggrin:

This is a gimmick. TKL is a wily old fox. Why did he quit PAP only 3 months ago ? And now he wants to run for presidency when previously he has been playing down the suggestion ?

Knowing how politically naive Singaporeans are, it will be impossible to get 10,000 signatures, let alone 100,000. At the end of the day, if TKL wants to run, he will still run regardless of the number of signatures gather.

The question is: can he win over the hardcore opposition camp which constitutes 20% of the electorate ?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, that is why TKL should have perhaps waited a little bit longer before playing this card.

The card has been exposed long ago. Might as well play it now.

Saying he has no political ambition earlier, but changing his mind according to circumstances calling later, that's understandable to many if not all. However, repeatedly denying political ambition ad nauseum will cut deep into credibility and sincerity if and when he eventually stands.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He has to join an opposition party in order to avoid any 3-corner fight. The opposition parties will divide out the 8 or 9 SMCs among themselves and no SMC will go uncontested. Any independent candidate contesting any SMC is sure to face a 3-corner fight.

However, if he joins an opposition party, he'll need to fit into overall party strategy which may or may not require him in a team to contest a GRC.

Agree. Unless he starts a new party, I doubt that that he will be welcomed into the other 2 parties.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to disagree on this strategy. That is why I said he probably should have avoided commenting on politics per se period "no comment" until after the Structured Financial Products debacle had cleared up to some extent. Put all PR focus on the debacle first.

Anyways all this is now in "hindsight" to quote PAP:biggrin: TKL is now officially in play for better or for worse.

The card has been exposed long ago. Might as well play it now.

Saying he has no political ambition earlier, but changing his mind according to circumstances calling later, that's understandable to many if not all. However, repeatedly denying political ambition ad nauseum will cut deep into credibility and sincerity if and when he eventually stands.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Need alot of arm twisting since Nathan appeared to be a last minute choice 2nd time around.
Spot on.

There were 1 salary increase, i believe by 23% just before the PE. Then another 2 after PE.

My understanding is that they are treating this as "Inconvenience Allowance" to satiate the immediate family members particulary the spouse while playing on the potential candidates eminence in the field. The biggest hurdle is still "contesting and campaigning" which in the asian context does not resonate with the tags "eminent", "respected" and "distingushed".

They are still in 2 minds whether to revert back to old role of appointment. MAS is now under PMO and no longer under MOF and this is supposed to be part of the jigsaw where MAS will take over the watchdog role that is now part of PE.

All I can say is good luck. The PE is the worst political error created by the old man and he knows it.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I tend to disagree on this strategy. That is why I said he probably should have avoided commenting on politics per se period "no comment" until after the Structured Financial Products debacle had cleared up to some extent. Put all PR focus on the debacle first.

Anyways all this is now in "hindsight" to quote PAP:biggrin: TKL is now officially in play for better or for worse.

While I think that the hole card has been clear for all who can see (as someone quoted 司马昭之心,路人皆知) and the hand had to be shown sooner or later, I also think that the way the hand is shown should have been managed better. In any case, it's done. We're all hindsight academics now, except for people like T.K.L. himself, supporters and helpers like G.M.S., who have to get ready for the next deal of the cards.