• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tan Cheng Bock on the Punggol East BE result

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Cheng Bock's take on the Punggol East BE result. Dr Tan remains our greatest hope to win the next Presidential elections in 2017. From the Punggol East BE result, there is a good chance that the PAP will lose their 2/3 majority in 2016. This makes the Presidential Elections in 2017 a critical milestone in the run up to 2021. I hope Dr Tan continues to stay active and is a candidate in the 2017 Presidential elections.

----
Punggol East by-election. I got it wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/TanChengBock

On nomination day when l saw there were 4 candidates my immediate reaction was a repeat of the President election. It was going to be a close fight. However the result proved me wrong.

WP’s Lee Li Lian won a handsome victory of 54.5% and PAP Dr Koh managed 43.7%. She had come from behind to gain a swing of 13.5% from her previous 41% defeat in 2011. This is remarkable. The other 2 candidates did badly and both lost their deposits. What does this show?

The voters of Punggol East have sent a clear message that they want the WP’s Lee Li Lian and will not be distracted by the presence of 2 other opposition candidates. There was no splitting of opposition votes.

While the by-election effect would favour the opposition, the announcement of measures to improve transport, health care, housing and baby bonus did not excite the electorate. Perhaps they concluded that these measures would be implemented whatever the outcome.

PAP did put up a candidate with strong academic credentials but the people better empathise with Lee Li Lian, the typical heartlander who is less successful academically than Dr Koh and can identify with her as someone who had to struggle hard to make it

Ground sentiment is important. There is a growing wish for more opposition in parliament. In spite of the PAP and Reform parties’ attacks that the Workers Party MPs have not performed, the people perhaps decided that it is still their better bet and threw their support behind WP.

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Cheng Bock's take on the Punggol East BE result. Dr Tan remains our greatest hope to win the next Presidential elections in 2017. From the Punggol East BE result, there is a good chance that the PAP will lose their 2/3 majority in 2016. This makes the Presidential Elections in 2017 a critical milestone in the run up to 2021. I hope Dr Tan continues to stay active and is a candidate in the 2017 Presidential elections.

You hope that Dr Tan continues to stay active? I hope that Dr Tan continues to stay alive. He will be 77 in 2017. 2011 was his last chance.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to disagree with you on 2011 being his last chance. I think he stands an excellent chance in 2017.

You hope that Dr Tan continues to stay active? I hope that Dr Tan continues to stay alive. He will be 77 in 2017. 2011 was his last chance.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have to disagree with you on 2011 being his last chance. I think he stands an excellent chance in 2017.

Sorry to say this: he does stand an excellent chance to be buried six feet underground! Lets look for another younger man who could be around to check on the papzis for many more good years to come.

godiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry for asking : Is it legislated that the next PE must be in 2017? Then why Prata Man did for so many years?

Was the legislation changed?

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to say this: he does stand an excellent chance to be buried six feet underground! Lets look for another younger man who could be around to check on the papzis for many more good years to come.

We could have him play the dual role of the President and the Istana physician. Two jobs for the price of one.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, find TCB too PAP-friendly. I know this is a small country but surely we can find someone who is capable, dedicated and most importantly independent to hold this office at the Istana, right?

I din say he is PAP friendly. I only say he is PAP. Some people work for company X. But they hate their boss and they hate company X. I think Tan CB is a bit like that.

Last edited:

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
That means TT can also serve 2 terms? Means not a must for PAP to do PE in 2017?

It is mandatory for the government to call a PE every 6 years. In Prataman's case, he went unopposed for two PEs in a row as no other candidates were deemed qualified to run. TT can therefore serve 2 terms if come 2017, no one else is deemed to meet the criteria.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is mandatory for the government to call a PE every 6 years. In Prataman's case, he went unopposed for two PEs in a row as no other candidates were deemed qualified to run. TT can therefore serve 2 terms if come 2017, no one else is deemed to meet the criteria.

I have little doubt that, maybe later this year or next year, Parliament will pass an Amendment to tighten the eligibility criteria.
You heard it here first.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unfortunately to win PE 2011, they issued out 3 PECs to split the vote. It would be strange for a person to be granted a PEC in 2011 and not be granted one in 2017.

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have little doubt that, maybe later this year or next year, Parliament will pass an Amendment to tighten the eligibility criteria.
You heard it here first.

Agree. Strong possibility, particularly when the role of the President entails him looking at investments by GIC and Temasek etc and questioning the decisions behind them.