• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Suggestions on saving pennies by changing spending habits in bad times......

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our dollar is too strong. Why spend it here if we can save up for a holiday. Quit that $11/- packet of smokes and you have $2000/- in 6 months time for a rest abroad, nearby of course. Can't drink plain water? Don't buy expensive can or bottle drinks. Buy cordial instead. Very diluted of course. Healthy too. Check out the budget shops for instant noodles and home essentials. Buy air circulators instead of turning on the airconditioners. The most pocket draining part of your electrical bill.

Please offer more suggestions. I will as soon as I can think of one.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our dollar is too strong. Why spend it here if we can save up for a holiday. Quit that $11/- packet of smokes and you have $2000/- in 6 months time for a rest abroad, nearby of course. Can't drink plain water? Don't buy expensive can or bottle drinks. Buy cordial instead. Very diluted of course. Healthy too. Check out the budget shops for instant noodles and home essentials. Buy air circulators instead of turning on the airconditioners. The most pocket draining part of your electrical bill.

Cordial isn't healthy.....will lead to other medical conditions...budget shops instant noodles not that safe, they are mostly what we called " tiu lao for"...."jump the building goods"....I don't buy them from these shops...

Don't use the air-cond....that is a big savings.....have not used the A/C for a long time..rely on fan. One more, thing, read your own electricity meter...will save you a bundle too....for they will always AVERAGE the highest in taking your hard earn money first...

Eat & drink free from office pantries...that will save money too...or free load, find meetings or whatever that includes free food, in the course of work....

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Take the god damn pennies and shove it up your puny ass LOL

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cordial isn't healthy.....will lead to other medical conditions...budget shops instant noodles not that safe, they are mostly what we called " tiu lao for"...."jump the building goods"....I don't buy them from these shops...

Don't use the air-cond....that is a big savings.....have not used the A/C for a long time..rely on fan. One more, thing, read your own electricity meter...will save you a bundle too....for they will always AVERAGE the highest in taking your hard earn money first...

Eat & drink free from office pantries...that will save money too...or free load, find meetings or whatever that includes free food, in the course of work....

A/C eights hours x 2 rooms will set you back $170/- easy a month. If it is diabetes you are worried about in drinking diluted cordial, I say diabetes is genetic.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.... If it is diabetes you are worried about in drinking diluted cordial, I say diabetes is genetic.

How do you know that there is no diabetes in your family?
Maybe your parents are young & haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet:confused: .

The food industry is putting high amounts of sugar in their processed foods because it increases sales. Just look around & you will see overweight young kids. If you read food labels you will see that sugar is prevalent in all processed foods.

I found the following article that states, you are likely at risk if:

one in seven, if one of your parents was diagnosed before the age of 50
one in 13, if one of your parents was diagnosed after the age of 50
one in two, if both your parents have diabetes

http://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/genetics#Overview1

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you know that there is no diabetes in your family?
Maybe your parents are young & haven't been diagnosed with diabetes yet:confused: .

The food industry is putting high amounts of sugar in their processed foods because it increases sales. Just look around & you will see overweight young kids. If you read food labels you will see that sugar is prevalent in all processed foods.

I found the following article that states, you are likely at risk if:

one in seven, if one of your parents was diagnosed before the age of 50
one in 13, if one of your parents was diagnosed after the age of 50
one in two, if both your parents have diabetes

http://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/genetics#Overview1

No cases found within my family tree. At my age, no diabetes, high blood, high chlorestrol, just hoping cancer and aneurysm don't strike. Sex three times a week. No pros or gay sex so no chance of AIDs unlike jw5.

jw5

Loyal
No cases found within my family tree. At my age, no diabetes, high blood, high chlorestrol, just hoping cancer and aneurysm don't strike. Sex three times a week. No pros or gay sex so no chance of AIDs unlike jw5.

The gay is Mark Andrew Yeo Kah Chong who uses the monikers scroobal and Debonerman among many others. :rolleyes:

Flash

Alfrescian
Loyal

what can a dollar buy u these days?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cordial isn't healthy.....will lead to other medical conditions...budget shops instant noodles not that safe, they are mostly what we called " tiu lao for"...."jump the building goods"....I don't buy them from these shops....

I sometimes get the Belvoir cordial from NTUC, https://www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk/our-drinks/
It's more expensive than the cheaper brands but it has no preservatives.

They cost something like $8 to $9 per bottle & must be consumed 2 to 3 weeks after opening because they don't have preservatives.
For people who need to watch the sugar, some of the flavors have less sugar e.g. lime & lemon grass . So read the labels & compare.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
install 3 240w solar panels outside ur hdb flat and 3 panels outside ur corridor,setup up 3 or 4 agm deep cycle batteries battery bank which is sufficient for 4 to 6 kw/h of electricity storage.with a simple charge controller and a inverter,u can now generate free unlimited electricity from the sun,even allowing for a few hours of air conditioner use a day provided u use a low wattage air conditioner like a window casement air con.

theres only so much money u can earn and save from a job.....its better if u read rich dad poor dad and other business,finance,investment and personal finance books,and learn how to invest in stocks and bonds index funds,invest in real estate using leverage,accumulate cashflow generating assets and set up small businesses.being agressive business minded,entrepreneurial and taking calculated risk will allow u to expand ur networth quickly and exponentially that most average joes on the street can only dream of.focus on building a solid financial base first of a few hundred k and achieving financial independence first,which will allow u to have a solid financial base to take on other incrementally risky ventures,and gives u sufficient cash reserves and ammo for when u make mistakes during the course of doing business, slowly expand ur area of expertise into more risky areas,like real estate investing or starting a small business.....having a solid financial base also gives u longer lasting power,the last thing u want is to be running out of liquidity during the most crucial phases and having to take on debts,take out mortgages on ur house,or having to give away equity in ur small company to raise funds.why give away 30 percent of ur company in the early stages for a 100k loan,when all it takes is 3 or 4 years of hard work,frugal living and discipline saving to save 100k?most startups and small businesses die because they run into cashflow problems,having a solid financial base at the start will give u longer lasting power and better odds.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Energy market liberalisation will soon allow residential homes to purchase electricity from many different vendors to enjoy lower electricity tariffs. Industrial users have switched and generally saves about 20-40% of their energy bills.

https://www.ema.gov.sg/Electricity_Market_Liberalisation.aspx

i notice one thing,the electricity tariffs they charge commercial and business owners are much lower than residential home owners,even though they use way more electricity,this fucking government is bullshit.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
forgo air-con at home altogether and rely on the fan on hot days and warm nights. i cannot sleep in air-con and use the fan to keep mosquitoes away with windows wide open. the tropical breeze at night in sg is a blessing. if i have every chance to sleep at the void deck with a view at palms swaying in the wind, i will do so. it's paradise on earth.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i notice one thing,the electricity tariffs they charge commercial and business owners are much lower than residential home owners,even though they use way more electricity,this fucking government is bullshit.

Yes it should not come as a surprise that the "lesser mortals" are subsidising the GLCs & MNCs. These companies also pay lower telephone bills. If the "lesser mortals" got a fair wage then there would be less $$$ for the PAP.

Male Sporeans are also contributing more to Spore's defence with their NS & reservist obligations, than the paper generals who get the fat pay cheques.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree on the smoking...glad to have given it up a good 15 years ago. Else it would have burn a big hole considering today's ciggy prices....

If possible, one should be drinking more plain water and cut down on those cordials, canned or bottle drinks. As for those budget shop instant noodles, I am always a little suspicious of where it comes from and avoid buying foodstuff from these shops....maybe those hardware stuff but not foodstuff.

Best would be to eat home cook meals where possible......

Bestest would be to earn more rather than pinching pennies......

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't ever suggest something to me that you so love to do yourself. You like BBC?.....LOL.....LOL

If u want to showcase your gay tendercies here, i suggest that u and ShitFu get a room LOL I have been trying to give false impression that i am busy by not posting one liner replies.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
i cook own lunch at office, one meal can save around 2 dollar. as you need 1 dollar to buy ingredient. simple vege and a piece or 2 pieces of chicken drumstick.

then morning you just make own tea/coffee in office.

no air con at home, just on fan. utilities about 60 per month for 5 room flat.

then if can, just walk to work. if office is nearby. walk about 15-20 min also good for health. can save about 100 per month for transport fee.

save here , save there. one month also can save about 200-300.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the first post is beneficial as it shows the importance of having an incentive to save. Saving with an aim to travel provides purpose in life especially for retirees and even those who always find themselves short of funds to travel.

I had a colleague once years ago who would bring food from home and when we go to pub, he will nurse one mug of beer. But every years he will travel to Europe with his family as a matter of routine. It was pretty much basic and he would cover lots of places. He would share his approach and his experience but most of did not take seriously then.

People can start small with nearby locations and then move to countries further a field. Travel can help rejuvenate body and mind and keep people excited.