• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SUBHAS ANANDAN - The Top Criminal Lawyer in Singapore

gypsyindigo

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Subhas Anandan is undoubtedly the best known criminal lawyer in Singapore. From taking on Singapore's most infamous cases, such as that of Anthony Ler, Took leng how and Ah long san, to espousing his views on the mandatory death sentence and police entrapment, Subhas Anandan has become the face of criminal defence in Singapore."

Subhas Anandan, the man that deserved huge respect! This is the man that do the job that no other lawyers are willing to do. This is the man, willing to fight for the common good. This was the man that grew up in the old woodlands/sembawang area, being framed by rouge policeman, got imprisoned. This is a man that stood against elitism. A man that stood against the test of time and fate. He fought many good fights all because he truely believes that even the most heinous offender deserves a proper trial.

I have created a groupe in face book called "SUBHAS ANANDAN - The Top Criminal Lawyer in Singapore"

Please join this group, if you truely believe in what this man believes!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF does your PR post on Soobus have to do with with politics? In any event do not BS ok, Soobus appears to be damn clever at milking publicity for obvious reasons.

gypsyindigo

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF does your PR post on Soobus have to do with with politics? In any event do not BS ok, Soobus appears to be damn clever at milking publicity for obvious reasons.

You are an angry man it seems. Well, I do not really want to educate you but in some ways, Subhas has been involve in the politics, especially in the judiciary areas.

There are a lot of people think that Subhas is very good at making publicity but If he is NOT good, Do u think anyone will engage him as their lawyer? Reputation is spread by the mouth. ANd ppl pay $ to engage, so don't think that they are simply stupid to pay for a lawyer just because he is good in publicity.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please do not be a snake, twist and turn and distort. Look at your initial PR crap on Soobus and the title of thread. Nothing whatsoever to do with politics ok.

As for reputation, suckers are born every minute. Now I am not saying Soobus is incompetent but he is definitely not the top criminal lawyer in Singapore, not by a long shot. I would take Sant Singh or Michael Khoo anyday. Heck I'd even opt for Lee Teck Leng.

Soobus deserves a medal for being numero uno in PR. Your thread is yet another pathetic eg.

You are an angry man it seems. Well, I do not really want to educate you but in some ways, Subhas has been involve in the politics, especially in the judiciary areas.

There are a lot of people think that Subhas is very good at making publicity but If he is NOT good, Do u think anyone will engage him as their lawyer? Reputation is spread by the mouth. ANd ppl pay $ to engage, so don't think that they are simply stupid to pay for a lawyer just because he is good in publicity.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fyi, he is stateless, not a Singaporean.
Is now a Singaporean.

Would rate the following as the best lawyers in criminal crime cases
1) Sant Singh
2) Palakrishnan ( deceased )
3) JBJ ( deceased and disbarred for a very long time)
4) Leo Fernando
5) Michael Khoo
6) Amarjit Singh (former JC )

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is the greatest of them all, David Marshall left out of your list?

Am I recalling correctly Leo Fernando got into deep shit over DUI, hence remains a senior lawyer instead of Senior Counsel because that guy sure can bullshit both ends!

And Michael Khoo, the hero unrecognised by the majority of Sinkies for his honest discharge of judicial duties over JBJ's case?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is the greatest of them all, David Marshall left out of your list?

Am I recalling correctly Leo Fernando got into deep shit over DUI, hence remains a senior lawyer instead of Senior Counsel because that guy sure can bullshit both ends!

And Michael Khoo, the hero unrecognised by the majority of Sinkies for his honest discharge of judicial duties over JBJ's case?

Yes, to David Marshall. A league of his own.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I met Subash Anandan for the first time during JBJ's funeral and I tell you as one who is not easily awed by an individual, I felt in him a true aura of a man one ought not to trifle with! He looked like a black lion!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most if not all lost cases. The only high profile case where I think he did a good job was to get the German girl off serious drug charges that would have seen her go to the gallows. No doubt Soobus is a great PR man but certainly not the top criminal lawyer in Singapore that the TS would like us to believe.

he does very high profile cases, we'll give him that

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not so sure about Amarjit, but perhaps I would give a special mention to say Wee Pan Lee and Edmond Pereira.

Look if we just go by high profile cases and media attention we might as well say Sashi Nathan is now the top criminal lawyer in Singapore apart from Soobus. Is this really the view amongst the local bar and judiciary? I don't think so. Not that both Sashi and Soobus are not competent and capable criminal lawyers, I am sure they quite good in what they do.

Anyways I forgot to add that invariably the best talent at the bar i.e. advocates would probably also make the best criminal lawyers regardless of the fact that these advocates mainly practice in the civil courts because it is more lucrative. It is obvious in the UK and same probably applies to Singapore as well. So oldies like Harry Elias and Wong Meng Meng would stand out, same goes for Shanmugam before he left to join the government.

Is now a Singaporean.

Would rate the following as the best lawyers in criminal crime cases
1) Sant Singh
2) Palakrishnan ( deceased )
3) JBJ ( deceased and disbarred for a very long time)
4) Leo Fernando
5) Michael Khoo
6) Amarjit Singh (former JC )

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not so sure about Amarjit, but perhaps I would give a special mention to say Wee Pan Lee and Edmond Pereira.

Look if we just go by high profile cases and media attention we might as well say Sashi Nathan is now the top criminal lawyer in Singapore apart from Soobus. Is this really the view amongst the local bar and judiciary? I don't think so. Not that both Sashi and Soobus are not competent and capable criminal lawyers, I am sure they quite good in what they do.

Anyways I forgot to add that invariably the best talent at the bar i.e. advocates would probably also make the best criminal lawyers regardless of the fact that these advocates mainly practice in the civil courts because it is more lucrative. It is obvious in the UK and same probably applies to Singapore as well. So oldies like Harry Elias and Wong Meng Meng would stand out, same goes for Shanmugam before he left to join the government.

Amarjit was David Marshal's pupil, assistant to his cases and later partner. Does the bulk of his work prior to trial and the charges are invariably reduced.

Agree the civil is more lucrative and the best brains are there. With civil legal costs having shot up within the last 2 decades, the one eyed is the king in the kingdom of the blind where criminal cases are concerned.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps that is why Rubin became a full J while Amarjit remained a JC? Interesting that both are married to dynamic capable bright women.

Rubin is master of politics. He knew how to play the game. Amarjit is a straight arrow, soft spoken and will see thru the case. When Marshall could not agree with Amarjit on term of separation, he brought Rubin back.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You are in the zone. Both old man and Marshall have done the impossible, saving outright conviction cases from the gallows. Old man did that in the Maria Hertogh riots.

Interesting that you mentioned that case. Francis Seow achieved the opposite. He managed to send Sunny Ang to the gallows even without a corpse to prove conclusive death, much less murder. He was then representing the prosecution but still a lawyer nonetheless.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Francis was good in Sunny's case, however going by the materials the evidence apart from the corpse against Sunny was pretty much overwhelming. I doubt even Marshall or LKY could have saved Sunny's neck.

To me the Nonis case stands out as one of Marshall's best and probably put's him in a league of his own. Again from the materials, I get the impression that Nonis may well have committed murder.

Interesting that you mentioned that case. Francis Seow achieved the opposite. He managed to send Sunny Ang to the gallows even without a corpse to prove conclusive death, much less murder. He was then representing the prosecution but still a lawyer nonetheless.