• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Study confirms tensions between S'poreans and new immigrants

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am both a degree holder and also an EP holder. Having worked for over two decades, all I can say is the degree only affords one a shot at an interview for a job at middle-level, after that, other factors come into play. Eventually more depends on one's network, communication, contacts, and some luck too. It's the same for graduates the world over. Most of what we learnt in university is just plain academic in the working world with the exception of a few lucky blokes.

Paywise, well, some people are more concerned than others. In Sg, the cost of living is quite high and it is natural for people to want to earn more.

Cheers!

Jfi not many sinkies welcome FTs holding EP or even S-P. Alot of FTs whom i know possessed good qualifications fm their motheland. Quite a no of them degree holders were given EP or even S-P status. Companies in Sinkieland rather employ FTs degree holders for obvious reasons. Its a real challenge for Sinkie graduates and diploma holders looking for middle income jobs.

As for usual comments like Sinkies fussy abt pay? I only agree 20%.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't have access to maid statistics, but just looking around, I see a number of Singapore families with foreign maids and whilse working in Canada a few years back, I don't see any maids employed by working class families. On that I base my statement.

The world (or at least the free world) is an open market. And for some people, it is also their oyster. If one chooses a small oyster to play in, that's limiting one's scope and opportunities. It's a personal choice.

Good to see you're helping fellow citizens. They will appreciate your assistance and help.

Yes, the law makes an orderly society, all people should abide by the law of the land they live in.

Your last point I just disagree. Singaporeans DO NOT need to appreciate and understand FTs? These FTs are people out there making a living to improve their lives and support their families, and you DO NOT want Singaporeans to appreciate and understand that? I'm glad most Singaporeans including your policy makers are more pragmatic and realistic than that. Oh nothing wrong with voicing a dislike for the foreigner's presence, but treating them in any subhuman ways is not allowed - by law.

Cheers!

Do advise maid employment data statistics.

Locals should look for opportunities abroad so that FTs can take local employment?
BINGO!!! Singaporeans ARE being displaced in the local job market.
Any surprise that increasing numbers of Singaporeans are being vocal about disliking FTs?

How do I help Singaporeans?
For local job seekers whom I interview which are qualified but do not fit job description, I recommend them to other hiring managers.
For elderly local people who sell tissues priced at $1 for 3 packs, I help out by buying as well as giving a pack of apples or bunch of bananas.
& so on...

This is your expectation. A rationale of the culture/norm of your Home country.
Singapore has its regulations/law.
Singaporeans must follow these regulations/law.

However I repeat that Singaporeans Do NOT need to appreciate/understand FTs. Singaporeans can voice our dislike of FTs.

jw5

Loyal
Your last point I just disagree. Singaporeans DO NOT need to appreciate and understand FTs? These FTs are people out there making a living to improve their lives and support their families, and you DO NOT want Singaporeans to appreciate and understand that? I'm glad most Singaporeans including your policy makers are more pragmatic and realistic than that. Oh nothing wrong with voicing a dislike for the foreigner's presence, but treating them in any subhuman ways is not allowed - by law.

Cheers!

I interpret what he said about not needing to appreciate/understand FTs as not needing to be friends with them, not needing to "integrate" with them, not needing to welcome them or to understand their problems or appreciate their "contributions". Obviously it doesn't go to the extent of treating them in any subhuman way or breaking the law, simply that there is no obligation on the part of any ordinary citizen to participate in this establishment "integration" exercise.

It's not that much different from the attitude towards fellow locals, there is no need for an ordinary citizen to appreciate/understand fellow locals either.

SeeingRED

Alfrescian
Loyal
I interpret what he said about not needing to appreciate/understand FTs as not needing to be friends with them, not needing to "integrate" with them, not needing to welcome them or to understand their problems or appreciate their "contributions". Obviously it doesn't go to the extent of treating them in any subhuman way or breaking the law, simply that there is no obligation on the part of any ordinary citizen to participate in this establishment "integration" exercise.

Correct. The Establishment's INTEGRATION program really - really sticks in my craw.

jw5

Loyal
Correct. The Establishment's INTEGRATION program really - really sticks in my craw.

Part of their establishment mentality inherited or acquired over the years is that the ordinary people always have to march to the beat of their establishment drummer.

But as long as we are not breaking any laws or harming anyone, Why Must We Do What They Say Or Want?

If anyone including an FT is useful or helpful to you in some way, by all means befriend him or her.
Please feel free to ignore anyone whom you don't wish to know too well and reject any notion of integration.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am both a degree holder and also an EP holder. Having worked for over two decades, all I can say is the degree only affords one a shot at an interview for a job at middle-level, after that, other factors come into play. Eventually more depends on one's network, communication, contacts, and some luck too. It's the same for graduates the world over. Most of what we learnt in university is just plain academic in the working world with the exception of a few lucky blokes.

I dont know where u got ur degree fm. But i came across FTs with degrees fm Myanmar, Phillippines and even Msia, just to name afew. Well, they are snapping up EP and S-pass, jobs tat can be filled by local Dip holders. So are u suggesting tat locals who pursue till University grade should look elsewhere, outside Spore to look for better opportunies?