• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Student beaten on mrt

jw5

Loyal
I agree. If someone starts raining punches, there should be some reason for it, albeit even a minor one.

Nowsaday, the gin na all know how to play victim one. To get the authorities on their side, they'll do anything to paint themselves as helpless victims. I was working for this company that employed a lot of fresh poly/uni grads.

No one trains them so they make stupid mistakes. I corrected them and reprimanded them for their bad attitude. Next thing i know, i got called into my boss' office and got accused to 'bullying' & 'threatening' these juniors. :oIo:
There are many young punks these days who are very cunning and vindictive, but they will go crying to mummy and act all innocent in front of authority figures when you retaliate.
One way is to be even more cunning than them.

jw5

Loyal
I would just like to ask, do you feel that the young today are behaving in defiant and haughty ways because they are wise to the fact that society in general will always turn their eyes away from their indiscretions and anti social behaviour.?

Well during my growing up years in the 60's and 70's, kids never dare misbehave in public because there will be hands that are more willing to give them a slap or worse a beating than not.

Apparently someone had made his feelings known and felt. As along as they can restraint the force behind those punches, I don't think it's a bad thing in the long run. And I believe they know they risk paying a price to make a statement.
The main reason is that their parents spoilt them rotten.
And these parents are not the rich and "elite" in society.
If they can't be taught by their parents and their schools, they will simply grow up to be monsters.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,196301,00.html

MRT EMERGENCIES
Would you push the red button?
March 20, 2009

A TEENAGE boy lay writhing in pain on the train floor as a man rained punches on him.

An alleged con man managed to board a train just in time to escape his pursuers, who work for a money changer.

In both cases, which took place within the last two weeks, the culprits got away. And both incidents occurred in full view of other commuters.

In the boy's case, no one came to his aid.

An SMRT spokesman said passengers who are harassed or assaulted should press the emergency communication button next to the train door

So why didn't anyone sound the alarm?

In a street poll of 100 commuters, The New Paper asked: Do you know where the emergency button is located?

An overwhelming 87 per cent said yes.

We then asked: Would you press the button if you see someone suffering a health emergency onboard the train? About the same number said they would. It was the 'obvious' thing to do, said the majority.

The reaction was markedly different when we asked: Would you hit the button if the emergency involved violence or some element of danger?

Fewer than half of those interviewed said they would activate the emergency button.

And only about half (51per cent) said they would hit the button to report suspicious characters.

Why the reluctance to help?

The reason: Fear.

Fear of getting into trouble for hitting the button over what may later be judged to be a non-emergency, and fear for their own personal safety.

Is the first 'fear' justified?

An SMRT spokesman said most of the incidents reported by commuters were mainly medical emergencies (fainting, seizures, falls, passengers or items trapped between doors) and incidents that involved suspicious objects being left unattended in trains.

Student Samantha Lim, 18, said: 'I wouldn't press the button because it's like I'm intervening and I might get into trouble myself.'

Polytechnic student Lim Xin Hua, 18, agreed.

'What if someone or myself ends up in danger?' she said. 'I don't want to take such risks.'

Most of the respondents pointed out that it would be hard to say who is a suspicious character.

Ms Regina Pak, 35, a property agent, said: 'He might look suspicious but not actually leave anything behind.'

She was referring to the videos that SMRT plays at stations to educate commuters on how to look out for potential terrorists.

Housewife Goh Lee Khim, 48, said: 'I wouldn't be able to tell if someone is a suspicious character.

'So, I probably wouldn't press the button as I don't want to be fined for misusing it.'

Under the Rapid Transit System regulations, passengers who misuse either the communication button or the emergency stop plunger can be fined up to $5,000.

The spokesman said: 'Both... should be activated only in emergency or life-threatening circumstances.

'Improper use of such emergency equipment will cause unnecessary delays to train service and inconvenience fellow passengers.'

By Joanna Hor Peixin, newsroom intern. Additional reporting by Audrey Tan, Bernice Huang, Darren Foong, Geraldine Yeo, Han Su-Ying, Michelle Tay and Pearly Tan

NP_IMAGES_JHPRESSNEWEST.jpg

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Fighting for the seat. Young man should have not rushing for the empty seat the incident will not happen. Spoil kid rushing for the seat ASAP pregnant lady stand up.
What happen to Singapore? Train is crowded but no one helping?
All just don't care or act blur or the kid really did something wrong?
A lots of ?????? in this incident still unanswer?