• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Student beaten on mrt

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,196091,00.html?

STUDENT BEATEN ON MRT
WHY
did man attack him?
did no one protect him?
didn't he make a police report of incident?

March 18, 2009

NP_IMAGES_JHMRT.jpg

BEATEN SENSELESS: Yi Hao showing how he was cowering when the man beat him. TNP PICTURE: JONATHAN CHOO

HE WAS about to take a train seat vacated by a woman when he was pushed to the floor and beaten.

Why? Poh Yi Hao, 17, says he still doesn't know.

The beating, he said, lasted about 20 seconds. The junior college student crouched in agony as a man kept punching him.

The man then sat on the vacated seat.

Yi Hao said the carriage was full and all the other seats were taken.

When the train stopped at the next station, Yi Hao managed to stumble out and asked for help from the SMRT staff.

The incident happened around 3pm on 6 Mar.

Yi Hao told The New Paper that he was on his way to meet his former secondary schoolmates after school.

He boarded the train at City Hall MRT station and was supposed to alight at Tanah Merah station. When he entered the train, he noticed a man standing next to him.

Yi Hao said the man was about 1.73m, had a crew cut and was wearing a long-sleeved black shirt and jeans.

'He seemed a bit weird,' Yi Hao recalled. 'As he moved towards two of his friends (who were standing near the door), he pushed everyone away and stepped on my feet.'

Yi Hao then saw a woman get up from her seat, which was in front of where he was standing.

Just as he was about to sit down, Yi Hao said the man pushed him to the floor.

'Then he gave me about seven punches to the left side of my head above my ear.'

Throughout the attack, Yi Hao's assailant did not say a word.

To shield himself from the blows, Yi Hao said he covered his face with both his hands.

Ms Angela Foo, 50, another passenger, who saw the attack, told The New Paper in Mandarin: 'The boy was actually very smart (not to retaliate). The attacker was pretty big. You wouldn't want to provoke him.'

Yi Hao agreed.

'He was muscular and was fierce when he beat me. I couldn't have subdued him so I just protected myself.'

Both Yi Hao and Ms Foo said no one else in the carriage went to his aid.

But Yi Hao does not blame them. He said: 'Most of them were in shock.'

Ms Foo said that before the incident, Yi Hao's alleged assailant had given up his seat to a pregnant woman, so she was shocked by his sudden change in behaviour.

Ms Foo added that she was too afraid to intervene during the attack as the man had been carrying a bag, which she feared could have contained weapons.

Felt giddy

When the train arrived at Bugis MRT station, Yi Hao, who was feeling giddy from the attack, got off. Ms Foo and her friend followed him to make sure he was okay.

They reported the incident to the station manager, who told Yi Hao to seek medical treatment and file a police report.

An SMRT spokesman confirmed that Yi Hao had reported the matter to them.

She added: 'SMRT advises passengers who are harassed or assaulted during their train journey to report the matter to the train officer immediately by activating the Emergency Communication Button located at the side of the train door.'

Yi Hao later went to a polyclinic in Bedok to get treatment for his injuries, which he said were not serious.

He had a bruise on the left side of his head.

After the incident, he went to the Bedok North Police Centre to make a report. There, he was advised to lodge a magistrate's complaint.

But what followed was some confusion which led Yi Hao to write to The Straits Times.

He said: '(The) advice was given despite the fact that I had told the woman police officer that I could identify the man easily and that there were many witnesses to the attack.

'The police officer's reply was that (his identification) was of no help as (the man's) actual identity was still unknown.

'The officer added that I should have used the emergency button to stop the train to allow the train staff to detain the assailant.

'It is absurd that the authorities are unable to investigate an assault in public on a train, and offer little but sympathy over the incident, even if the injuries I suffered were not severe.'

But a police spokesman, replying to The New Paper, disputed this.

Joanna Hor Peixin, newsroom intern

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,196081,00.html?

POLICE SAY
Best to lodge magistrate's complaint in such cases
March 18, 2009

From DSP Paul Tay

Assistant Director, Media Relations, Singapore Police Force

Mr Poh Yi Hao visited the Bedok North Neighbourhood Police Centre (NPC) with his mother on 6 Mar to report that he had been attacked by an unknown male teenager on an MRT train when they both rushed for a seat.

Based on the facts conveyed by Mr Poh, his case was deemed as one of voluntarily causing hurt under Section 323 of the Penal Code, which is designated as a non-seizable offence.

For non-seizable cases without aggravating factors, the complainant would be advised to lodge a complaint before a magistrate who has the powers to direct further action.

Accordingly, the police officer who attended to Mr Poh had explained the situation to him and the procedures involved in lodging a magistrate's complaint.

The officer had also explained that it would be more difficult for the authorities to pursue investigations if the identity of the assailant was not known.

As Mr Poh was confident of recognising the assailant should he spot him again, the officer advised him to call the police immediately if he did.

The officer did not dissuade Mr Poh from making a police report and was prepared to help him process the report.

The officer also did not advise Mr Poh to use the emergency button to stop the train.

Although Mr Poh left without making the police report, he was advised that he could return to lodge the report if he changed his mind later.

Once again, we advise that should Mr Poh decide to make a police report, he can do so at his convenience.

If he has any query, he can contact the commanding officer of Bedok North NPC, DSP Anna Kuah at 6244-7222.

jw5

Loyal
I'm not trying to justify the beating. It was wrong and there is no justification for it.
But something bugs me about this whole incident.
In the report, it was stated that the alledged attacker had earlier given up his seat to a pregnant woman. This is not conclusive, but this action doesn't strike me as someone who would be unreasonable and violent. Emphasize again that the beating was not justified, but he may have felt that he should get back his seat and did not appreciate the teenager rushing for it.
Secondly, having seen the behaviour of many teenagers in public places, I just wonder whether the whole story has been told in its entirety. Perhaps it will take the arrest of the attacker to clarify the whole story.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agreed with your view. Teenage boys nowadays rush for see in trains. Saw that many times. Quite sad.

cowbehcowbu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bros...it was still a violent act of agression......punisable inlaw...
with so many witness and cameras in the mrt station,,,i am sure the police can easily identify the man..as he will be captured the moment he got out of the train
He should be charged...remember,,we have a lot of young kids in school,,they maybe miechivious or misbehave..but to get that kind of attack,,,the police must act.....

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
JC boy so weak nowadays? it was a crowded train and no empty seats, he rush to the seat once it is vacant, without checking around to see any elderly, pregnant lady, people who carry heavy baggage or parents carrying infants.

And seems like 2 version of the story now, victim and the poodles.  But if you ask me who to believe, i would say poodles are definitely out. And I don't think a JC boy will go all the way and even appear in media to frame the officer.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MP Denise Phua takes the stand in trial of Ng Kim Ngweng
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 13 March 2009 2141 hrs
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right width=20> </TD><TD align=right width=240>
php74pl0j.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top height=60> </TD><TD class=update vAlign=top height=60><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=138 bgColor=#f6f6f6>Photos </TD><TD width=47 bgColor=#f6f6f6>2 of 2</TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnPrev disabled onclick=Prev(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" value="<< Previous"></TD><TD width=19 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=bntPlay onclick=Play() type=image height=15 width=19 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" value="Play - Stop"></TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnNext disabled onclick=Next(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" value=" Next >> "></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
dotline_240.gif

Ng Kim Ngweng</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD class=update> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=240 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=topic vAlign=top align=left>Related News </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left bgColor=#cccccc>
shim.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=subheader vAlign=top width="4%">•</TD><TD class=bodytext width="96%"><TD class=bodytext width="96%">Rag-and-bone man spent an hour criticising MP on hotline call</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=subheader vAlign=top width="4%">•</TD><TD class=bodytext width="96%"><TD class=bodytext width="96%">Accused who allegedly threatened MP called PMO, Istana</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=subheader vAlign=top width="4%">•</TD><TD class=bodytext width="96%"><TD class=bodytext width="96%">Case against man who allegedly threatened MP Denise Phua postponed</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#cccccc>
shim.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=topic vAlign=top> Video </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#cccccc>
shim.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="40%">
</TD><TD class=bodytext vAlign=top align=left width="60%">MP Denise Phua takes the stand in trial of Ng Kim Ngweng</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left background=images/dotline_240.gif>
shim.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SINGAPORE: Member of Parliament Denise Phua took the stand on Friday in an ongoing trial where her constituent, rag-and-bone man Ng Kim Ngweng, is accused of threatening to hurt her last month.

The threat allegedly took place just a day after fellow MP Seng Han Thong was torched by an ex-cabbie.

On Friday, Ms Phua heard the actual audio recording of the alleged threat for the first time in court, but she said she had been told of its content previously through an email from the general manager of Central Community Development Council, media reports and information revealed to her by the police.

Asked about her reaction when she first found out, the Jalan Besar GRC MP said she was alarmed.

She listed three reasons for this – she understood that Ng has a history of family violence; he had made reference to her son, who is autistic and may or may not be able to defend himself; she was concerned for the safety of the many volunteers around her.

In the end, Ms Phua said she did not think badly of Ng nor was she angry with him. However, she acknowledged that he had been angry whenever he went to see her, even though she had tried her best to help him.

Upon cross-examination by Ng's counsel, Ms Phua testified that Ng, who had complained of inadequate financial aid, had received an average of S$250 monthly for 32 out of 34 months from the CDC and grassroots organisations, plus other ad-hoc help like food vouchers.

The case was adjourned.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>For non-seizable cases without aggravating factors, the complainant would be advised to lodge a complaint before a magistrate who has the powers to direct further action.<<<

How are aggravating factors defined? Even threatening a Papaya is considered aggravating while only when Peasants are beaten to death is considered aggravating?

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PR dept whom made this reply made me laugh and sublimely, what they say is literally they fark care even if you die for a peasant.
As Mr Poh was confident of recognising the assailant should he spot him again, the officer advised him to call the police immediately if he did.

This one hit the jackpot, if Poh called the police immediately how long does anyone expect the police to respond to the scene.

The officer did not dissuade Mr Poh from making a police report and was prepared to help him process the report.

Paperwork only , and they are not keen to investigate the matter.

The officer also did not advise Mr Poh to use the emergency button to stop the train.

What is the Emergency Button on the train for anyway ? I would consider that an emergency if attention is to be warranted.

Although Mr Poh left without making the police report, he was advised that he could return to lodge the report if he changed his mind later.

Once again, we advise that should Mr Poh decide to make a police report, he can do so at his convenience.

Read this lines carefully, "Should he decide to" probably the teen have been the run about and dissuade by the system process of getting back at the assailant.

It is a bloody irony, a boy gets beaten in public. Police don't care. A MP gets threaten the whole system comes in full force. Now its obvious to understand why the Police keeps stating that the crime rate is low as many do not report it.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This has been going on for so long that the only way is to vote the useless dynasty out. I just hope for the boy's sake that his parents are not one of the 66%.
For those among the 66%, you and your family deserve it-to be jobless, beaten up (without any protection/assistance) and your children' s places in school/poly/universities/companies taken over by FT's.

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
I firmly agree. If boy's family is part of 33.3%, I feel sorry.

If 66.6%, who gives a f. Kenna beat like that, MRT, Police, all those lan cheow civil servents boh chup. A few angry words over phone, Courts and SPH out in full force.

Sinkies are not humans. Sinkies are animals whose sole purpose is to serve the Greater Immortals.

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
I firmly agree. If boy's family is part of 33.3%, I feel sorry.

If 66.6%, who gives a f. Kenna beat like that, MRT, Police, all those lan cheow civil servents boh chup. A few angry words over phone, Courts and SPH out in full force.

Sinkies are not humans. Sinkies are animals whose sole purpose is to serve the Greater Immortals.

bro, don't insult animals lei, sinkies are WOREST than animals....

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyway this boy is looknig fine, he still can pose infront of the camera and get golden star award

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. If someone starts raining punches, there should be some reason for it, albeit even a minor one.

Nowsaday, the gin na all know how to play victim one. To get the authorities on their side, they'll do anything to paint themselves as helpless victims. I was working for this company that employed a lot of fresh poly/uni grads.

No one trains them so they make stupid mistakes. I corrected them and reprimanded them for their bad attitude. Next thing i know, i got called into my boss' office and got accused to 'bullying' & 'threatening' these juniors. :oIo:

I'm not trying to justify the beating. It was wrong and there is no justification for it.
But something bugs me about this whole incident.
In the report, it was stated that the alledged attacker had earlier given up his seat to a pregnant woman. This is not conclusive, but this action doesn't strike me as someone who would be unreasonable and violent. Emphasize again that the beating was not justified, but he may have felt that he should get back his seat and did not appreciate the teenager rushing for it.
Secondly, having seen the behaviour of many teenagers in public places, I just wonder whether the whole story has been told in its entirety. Perhaps it will take the arrest of the attacker to clarify the whole story.

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would just like to ask, do you feel that the young today are behaving in defiant and haughty ways because they are wise to the fact that society in general will always turn their eyes away from their indiscretions and anti social behaviour.?

Well during my growing up years in the 60's and 70's, kids never dare misbehave in public because there will be hands that are more willing to give them a slap or worse a beating than not.

Apparently someone had made his feelings known and felt. As along as they can restraint the force behind those punches, I don't think it's a bad thing in the long run. And I believe they know they risk paying a price to make a statement.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
certain mum with 2 kids just "love going to court to have fun". maybe later going to jail is even more fun!!:biggrin: