• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

ST News Editor: keep Bookstore for Elite by imposing admission fee.

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
BOOKSHOPS should really charge people an entrance fee.

That should get rid of those non-book lovers and customers. Book lovers will be happy to pay the $2 for this privilege to enjoy books without the nuisance and distractions.

I have always wondered why bookshops operate on a model that literally allows customers the full run of the place - and with little prospects of many of them actually buying something.

That's how bookstores operate in North America. Borders, Barnes and Noble and Chapters all operate on this model and some even have luxury love seats for customers to read their books. Not to mentioned Starbucks inside the bookstore.

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
The marked-up prices of Borders and Kinokuniya are insane; I only buy with 30% discount online coupons, and top up with my Borders Preferred Members card for another 10%.

I agree. Books are very expensive in Singapore. If you buy a lot of books, I suggest buying from Amazon.com. Trade paperbacks costs on average US$10 after discount while mass market paperbacks costs US$7.99.

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Books are mostly for students and girls, and teachers and those who live quietly by themselves with their principles (most of them dreamy and unrealized too haha). A waste of time. The word "book" itself sounds boring too, eew. Movies and games are more interactive and are better. Remember that "a picture says a thousand words"? Now you have the answer.

There are plenty of book lovers who are adult males, your comments suggest you live in a different world and is certainly no intellectual. :biggrin:

With all the digital distraction, no wonder certain people regard books as a waste of time. There is a healthy interest of both fiction and non-fiction particularly current affairs, history and business.

Amazon.com ironically recoginized this distraction and has a new device for techies called Kindle. :p

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
He should underwrite his proposal - pay Borders for the drop in business or reap the additional profits for a trial period. It reminds me of the idiotic phase when all books were wrapped.

Those people who takes the present arrangement for granted and don't treat books with respect will regret it when bookstores have to resort to wrapping up books again. :(

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't like going to a book store, found the book I want to buy, but discover the condition of the book in tattered condition. Something should be done, but disagree the idea of imposing an entrance fee; what an idiotic suggestion.

Edit: Nothing new, just want to say again that books in Singapore is way too expensive!

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
books on anatomy and sex - lower secondary school kids in uniform
soccer - from primary school kids to young adults
financials - mid age males
self help books - females in ttheir 20 and 30s, males in their 20s
Books on hobbies - teenages to young adults
history, politics, - all males
coffeeshop next to bookstore - housewives catching up or single male reading a book
Holiday and country guides - young couples
Language guides - females in their 2os and 30s
Book on Subash - security guard who supposed to be at the front entrance

Very good observation. I do wonder what is Subash :confused:

jake

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those assholes sprawled across the aisles of bookshops typify precisely the ugly Singaporean. A note to any of those assholes who happen to be reading this: If I happen to come across you squatting down in the middle of a bookstore like the uneducated savage that you are, I will take great pleasure in stepping on you - and I'll add a good kick in as well. :oIo:

I guess those people just deserved to be stepped on :biggrin:

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't like going to a book store, found the book I want to buy, but discover the condition of the book in tattered condition. Something should be done, but disagree the idea of imposing an entrance fee; what an idiotic suggestion.

Hence the original letter writer's 'idiotic' suggestion. Or Page One's approach of sealing all their books in plastic film so that you can't even browse them. Any constructive suggestions from you?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree,

For those who have not don't it before, here are a bit of advice.

Just buy on Amazon.com. Just a word of advice, clear the cookies when you want to go into its URL as online retailers tend to price things higher for repeat and frequent flyer customers. Also don't order express or fast mail delivery. Despite putting up to 32 days, they will deliver within 10 days or less. So don't pay more.

Usually up to 40 to 50% less for high end books and 30% for regulat books.

I agree. Books are very expensive in Singapore. If you buy a lot of books, I suggest buying from Amazon.com. Trade paperbacks costs on average US$10 after discount while mass market paperbacks costs US$7.99.

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hence the original letter writer's 'idiotic' suggestion. Or Page One's approach of sealing all their books in plastic film so that you can't even browse them. Any constructive suggestions from you?

Constructive suggestion? Well, off hand I'll suggest compartmentalize each book section, like building real borders around self improvement section away from humor or ficiton, and see which section's books are being vandalized the most, and shrink wrap books in those section.

Edit: Will the book stores who adopt my idea please give some kind of reward :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Page One is part of a publishing group. It also has sole distributorship and accorded selective pricing on some titles. It carries some uncommon genre of books particulary design, creative and architectural works. Its also carries some high end mangement and fianancial books which are expensive. They however allow you to remove the plastic wrap with no obligation to buy. For cheaper and popular books, there is "demo" unwrapped and clearly thumbed thru copy.

Unfortunately most of their books are expensive and best ordered online.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I do not deny that such things happen in Singapore but it is really idiotic just to think that money could solve the problem!

It is a social norm that needs to be addressed from the social education perspective. We are just too used to using fines, fees or whatever just to solve anything undesirable. We have never looked deeper than monetary terms. Sad.

Goh Meng Seng

To be perfectly honest, the letter writer has made a point. Singaporeans love to take advantage of anything they perceive as 'free'. Fast food joints and cafes become study corners. Libraries become playgrounds (or hunting grounds for paedophiles...). Bookshops turn into libraries - without having to worry about keeping noise levels down.

Those assholes sprawled across the aisles of bookshops typify precisely the ugly Singaporean. A note to any of those assholes who happen to be reading this: If I happen to come across you squatting down in the middle of a bookstore like the uneducated savage that you are, I will take great pleasure in stepping on you - and I'll add a good kick in as well. :oIo:

I have seen these morons dogleafing (folding back the page) pages in books so that they could come back to them later. Brats playing hide and seek or chase in and around the bookshelves... (I was thrilled to see one little bastard nearly castrate himself when he hit the shelf crotch-first.) Books and magazines scattered everywhere. No wonder Page One has taken to wrapping up all its books in plastic.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most avid book readers know what the practice of booksellers are

1) A worn out and thumbed thru copy will remain on the shelf
2) you can remove the plastic wrap if you can't find the worn out copy

Constructive suggestion? Well, off hand I'll suggest compartmentalize each book section, like building real borders around self improvement section away from humor or ficiton, and see which section's books are being vandalized the most, and shrink wrap books in those section.

Edit: Will the book stores who adopt my idea please give some kind of reward :smile:

Addadude

Alfrescian
Loyal
Page One is part of a publishing group. It also has sole distributorship and accorded selective pricing on some titles. It carries some uncommon genre of books particulary design, creative and architectural works. Its also carries some high end mangement and fianancial books which are expensive. They however allow you to remove the plastic wrap with no obligation to buy. For cheaper and popular books, there is "demo" unwrapped and clearly thumbed thru copy.

Unfortunately most of their books are expensive and best ordered online.

Unfortunately, Page One has adopted this approach for just about all their books, including fiction. For many of these books, I couldn't find any "demo" version. So, because I couldn't browse and decide which book I wanted to buy, I left the store without buying anything.

Yes, I agree that Amazon is MUCH cheaper. But I am one of those people who love bookshops and the physical act of holding a book and browsing through it. Online shopping can never replicate this experience.

On the other hand, Singapore's public library system is excellent. I have been able to borrow books (fiction) from the National Library that have never appeared in stores here.

Another poster commented on the excellent environment bookshops in the US provide. They can do this because their customers don't abuse the privilege - unlike Singapore 'customers'.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats really a shame. I got the impression that their publishing business takes importance. Their store layout and quality of shelves leaves much to be desired.

Unfortunately, Page One has adopted this approach for just about all their books, including fiction. For many of these books, I couldn't find any "demo" version. So, because I couldn't browse and decide which book I wanted to buy, I left the store without buying anything.

I always browse the store and buy expensive books online. I too need to feel and read extracts before committing.

Yes, I agree that Amazon is MUCH cheaper. But I am one of those people who love bookshops and the physical act of holding a book and browsing through it. Online shopping can never replicate this experience.

Thats news to me. Looks like the foreign talent must be tenancious in their feedback to NLB. You can find books on American football and ice hockey but not on local sports. I am extraploating here.

On the other hand, Singapore's public library system is excellent. I have been able to borrow books (fiction) from the National Library that have never appeared in stores here.

Another poster commented on the excellent environment bookshops in the US provide. They can do this because their customers don't abuse the privilege - unlike Singapore 'customers'.