• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

soon even common STDs will be incurable...

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal
師父勇者無懼,仁者無敵,刀槍不入 … 以德服人。
In other words....she's a scammer

scam-warning.gif

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

39 Million May Die of Drug-Resistant Bugs by 2050: 'Now Is the Time to Act'​

Antibiotic resistance is projected to become one of the biggest killers of our species by 2050. Already, drug-resistant infections kill hundreds of thousands of people every year. And yet the true scale of this catastrophe is only just beginning to be understood.

In a first-of-its-kind study, scientists analyzed trends in drug-resistant infections around the world and estimated that, on average, more than 1 million people died every year as a result of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) between 1990 and 2021. By extrapolating this data, the team estimated that this figure could almost double by 2050.

"We estimate 39.1 million deaths directly attributable to AMR between 2025 to 2050, with the greatest burden falling on sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia," Daniel Araki, a researcher at the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation and one of the study's co-authors, told Newsweek.

"The estimates show that since 1990, AMR has remained a constant and growing global health threat," Araki said.

As well as direct deaths, the team estimated that antimicrobial resistance will contribute to 8.22 million deaths a year by 2050, up from 4.71 million in 2021.

"To our knowledge, this is the most comprehensive analysis of bacterial AMR trends over time, with 23 pathogens, 84 pathogen-drug combinations, 11 infectious syndromes in 204 countries and territories from 1990 to 2021," Araki said. "This large scope allowed for evaluating changing trends in AMR mortality to improve our understanding of this pervasive and growing health threat."

He continued: "Our time trend analysis also enables us to generate forecasts to demonstrate the growing impact of AMR if global governance does not change and showcase the huge impacts improvements to prevention, care and access to new treatments can have."

So what needs to be done to tackle antibiotic resistance and save millions of lives? Araki gave the following suggestions:

• Improve prevention and control measures, including increased funding and access to new antibiotics and vaccines, clean water and sanitation.
  • Improve the quality of health care in hospitals and health centers by enhancing diagnostic capacity, training a robust health care workforce, implementing infection prevention and control measures, and availability of novel interventions for individuals with advanced diseases.
  • Increase the involvement of government and private sectors to incentivize funding for new antibiotics and ensure that these medicines reach populations that need them most.

In the words of study co-author Kevin Ikuta: "Now is the time to act to protect people around the world from the threat posed by AMR."

Reference​

GBD 2021 Antimicrobial Resistance Collaborators (2024). Global burden of bacterial antimicrobial resistance 1990–2021: a systematic analysis with forecasts to 2050. The Lancet. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(24)01867-1

Death is the inevitable final chapter in the lives of everyone. What is needed is not more drugs but a change of mindset that is far more accepting of the inevitable.

Instead of fighting tooth and nail to stay alive far more effort should be channeled into making one's exit a painless and dignified affair.

Ex-RAF engineer and wife to be first Brit couple to die in each other's arms in suicide pod​

Peter and Christine Scott will travel to the Last Resort in Switzerland where they will together lay inside a suicide pod and die in each other's arms as Christine has vascular dementia
A photo of a suicide pod

Peter and Christine Scott will become the first Brits to die inside the Sarco pod (
Image: AFP via Getty Images)

09:18, 9 Sep 2024

A British couple have become the first from these shores to sign up for a double suicide pod so they don’t end up “lying in bed dribbling and incontinent”.

Peter and Christine Scott have made the decision to end their lives as Christine, a retired nurse, has early-stage vascular dementia. Keen to avoid a difficult future, the couple (aged 86 and 80 respectively) will travel to Switzerland and climb into a death capsule known as the Sarco and die in each other’s arms.

The grandparents have informed their family of their choice, who are said to have respected their option. Peter, a former RAF engineer, said : “We have had long, happy, healthy, fulfilled lives but here we are in old age and it does not do nice things to you. The idea of watching the slow degradation of Chris's mental abilities in parallel to my own physical decline is horrific to me."

A photo of the suicide pod

Switzerland allows assisted suicide (
Image:
Sarco)

He told MailOnline: “Obviously I would care for her to the point I could not, but she has nursed enough people with dementia during her career to be adamant she wants to remain in control of herself and her life. Assisted dying gives her that opportunity and I would not want to go on living without her.

'We understand other people may not share our feelings and we respect their position. What we want is the right to choose. I find it deeply depressing we can't do that here in the UK. 'I don't want to go into care, to be lying in bed dribbling and incontinent – I don't call that a life.”

In July, legislation was introduced to allow Parliament to vote on whether the terminally ill should be allowed help to end their lives in the UK. Former Labour Justice Secretary Lord Falconer introduced a private members' Bill in the House of Lords which would allow adults with six months or fewer left to live to end their lives. The legislation is expected to be first debated in September.

A photo of the suicide pod

The couple will travel to Switzerland where they plan to die in each other's arms (
Image:
AFP via Getty Images)

The legislation passed its first reading, with peers nodding through Lord Falconer's bill. The peer told the House: "I beg to introduce a bill to allow adults who are terminally ill, subject to safeguards, to be assisted to end their own life and for connected purposes. I beg to move that this bill be now read the first time."

Veteran broadcaster Dame Esther has been campaigning for assisted dying to be legalised since she was diagnosed with lung cancer in January 2023. She said: "This week, for the first time for over a year, I caught a glimpse of hope... I have dared to look forward. The law might actually change in time for me to die peacefully at home surrounded by those I love. Suddenly my heart lifted.”