• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

someone finally capture my interest in YOG

Green Light

Alfrescian
Loyal
02.jpg

Soaked by the rain, Youth Olympic Games fan Low Wei Jie, 12, ran 15km yesterday to take pictures of torchbearers in the flame relay. It took a while before everyone noticed the unknown boy who became the day's surprise star.

06.jpg

THERE were two constants during yesterday's morning session of the Youth Olympic Flame torch relay.

One was the flame itself, as it weaved its way through Sengkang, Punggol and Hougang. The other was schoolboy Low Wei Jie, 12.

Dressed in an orange T-shirt, blue bermudas and flip-flops, he clutched his digital camera and stuck with the relay.

He ran. And ran. And ran. Over 21/2 hours, he covered almost 15km, undeterred by a heavy downpour along the way.

'When I read in the newspapers that the flame was coming here, I just wanted to see it for myself, and follow it,' explained the drenched Compassvale Primary School pupil afterwards. 'I might never see it again.'

His day had started bright and early at Greendale Secondary School in Punggol, where Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean had passed the torch to Greendale student Yogesh Kumar, whose tag '3001' meant he was the first torchbearer of the third day of the relay.

At first, nobody paid any attention to the boy in the orange T-shirt. An hour later, however, the mystery runner started to get noticed.

'Wasn't that boy present at the start?' asked a cameraman.

The boy would disappear from sight, only to reappear from among supporters lining the streets to snap pictures as torchbearers handed the flame from one to the other.

'I can't believe it, that boy is back again!' exclaimed someone in the relay entourage.

He kept pace right up until the 122nd torchbearer jogged into Hougang Stadium, where the relay paused for a 15-minute break.

It was at the stadium carpark that Wei Jie soon found himself the centre of attention as reporters, officials and Youth Olympic Games volunteers made a beeline for him.

'None of this was planned,' said the Primary 6 pupil. 'I didn't know I was going to run all this way.'

He said he wanted pictures for his scrapbook, and his favourites were shots of two schoolmates who were torchbearers. 'I'm sure they'll like the photos,' he said.

His morning's adventure was not without some pain. His flip-flops may have held up, but his feet hurt, and there were bloodied scratches on his right ankle.

Then he discovered to great consternation that the camera he had borrowed from his parents was not waterproof and had jammed.

'There are other pictures in it that my mother wanted to keep,' he said. 'I hope she doesn't scold me!'

An only child, Wei Jie lives with his parents in Rivervale. They had given him permission to follow the relay, but were surprised to learn how his morning turned out.

His mother Cindy, 45, an operator in a logistics company, said she got worried when she called home and he did not answer the telephone. 'He had said he was just going to run as far as Sengkang and I thought he forgot to take his house key,' she said.

As for the camera, she said: 'Never mind if it's broken. We can always replace it. I'm just happy he's okay.'

At Hougang Stadium, Wei Jie was doing much better than okay.

As word of his solo trek spread, strangers came up to tell him they thought he was something special.

The six support runners who had followed the flame posed for pictures with him, and handed him a spare torch to hold. It was the first time he had touched the symbol of the Youth Olympic Games.

Even the Traffic Police officers who had accompanied the relay got off their motorcycles when they spotted him and came over to do some back-slapping.

'They called me a star,' said Wei Jie.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many years later he can tell his kids later what he did !! Not bad.:smile:

yeah! my father the attention seeker...look what he git himself into...he has to waste money seeking podiatrist treatment regularly...one visit consultation itself can cost $100...stupid him!:biggrin:

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's an idiot.

Riding a bike will be better.

And who runs a marathon in slippers.

What lies.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's an idiot.

What lies.

He may not be 'spotted' if he had rode a bike to 'chase' the torch for 15km.

Doing something out of the norm will get him spotted. Probably at least what he had achieved.

Well, for his naive passion, even if it looks silly to many people, I think he deserve his once-in-a-life-time photo in the papers la.

Afterall, he is just a 12-year old kid with an untainted passion, very unlike many adults. Making a scrapbook with photos of the relay may turn out to be a treasured item many years later.

Last edited:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
He may not be 'spotted' if he had rode a bike to 'chase' the torch for 15km.

Doing something out of the norm will get him spotted. Probably at least what he had achieved.

Well, for his naive passion, even if it looks silly to many people, I think he deserve his once-in-a-life-time photo in the papers la.

If he had wanted attention, he could have wanked himself off in the middle of the road.

goldenmonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well guys, could it be that the bus fare is too expensive for him?

Anyway, thumbs up for the little boy. See what passion can bring you to? In flip flops, 15km, rainning weather - this will put a lot of our army guys to shame

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
15km in 2 and half hour. Morathon runner can cover 45km in 2 and half hour.
I can run half marathon or 21km in 90 min.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's an idiot.

What lies.

i believe he ran 15km in 2 and a half hour in flip flop under the rain.

maybe he run with walks interval?

but his passion is what this soulless sinkapoor lacks, he is not stupid or fool like some of you commented. hope he will keep his passion and lead a successful life due to his passion when he grow up.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
can he help me take my ippt? no need 15km, just 2.4 will do

I was on exit permit disruption through my supposedly reservist days. When I occasionally came back to Singapore, I sure call CMPB up to book IPPT, though not compulsory anymore since I was on disruption without unit. They thought I was very on, but I went there for the S$400 only! Later, they banned me!

It's very simple. Everyday you wake up, before going for shit, pee, brush teeth, wash face etc., do 50 push-ups and 50 sit-ups. Once a week go jogging (about 5 k.m. at any pace comfortable) and swimming (20 laps x 50 m. at any speed and style comfortable). When it comes to IPPT, just 5 stations give it all you've got if you want the money, silver S$200 is easy, most likely gold. At least sure pass, failing any station is impossible.

Swimming has nothing to do with IPPT but it builds up lots of stamina and flexibility that are very helpful in IPPT stations. Failing IPPT and going RT is crap. I have friends who lost jobs because always going RT.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but his passion is what this soulless sinkapoor lacks, he is not stupid or fool like some of you commented. hope he will keep his passion and lead a successful life due to his passion when he grow up.

I agree. The boy has emerged as a lone passionate figure for this hopeless event.

I'm saying this because I've heard the streetside spectators were actually bribed with goodie bags to cheer on for the touch bearers.

That's right. Goodie bags bought with the 300+ million of tax dollars.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you hit on the nail.

FUCK THE OLD FART

I could pass and win monetary reward, but I pity those who fail and got entrapped the vicious cycle of failing IPPT, going RT, failing IPPT again, going RT again. No forgetting, the hi keys, lo keys and mobs. It makes no sense to me. Defend your country to lose your job and livelihood to FT?