• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

So where can there be editorial integrity?

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pritam Singh should have shoot back and asked Iswaran to explain SPH 160th ranking in world freedom index instead of based on PAP own "survey".
hanor, thought so too.
bringing an old newspaper article vs something that's more current and reflective of it's credibility / perspective in the world's index, would've cut to the chase in proving the integrity (or lack of) the pap's pressitutes. little wonder that our journalists aren't sought after for the more-renowned acclaimed journals / newspapers :redface:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
hanor, thought so too.
bringing an old newspaper article vs something that's more current and reflective of it's credibility / perspective in the world's index, would've cut to the chase in proving the integrity (or lack of) the pap's pressitutes. little wonder that our journalists aren't sought after for the more-renowned acclaimed journals / newspapers :redface:
Would Reuters et al hire reporters from Global Times? :cautious:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gerald Giam cites survey showing 57% of S’poreans think media is concerned with supporting an ideology and not informing the public

Survey also shows 49% of Singaporeans feel media is not objective and non-partisan

Photo: YouTube screengrab/ MCI

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https://theindependent.sg/gerald-giam-cites-survey-showing-57-of-sporeans-think-media-is-concerned-with-supporting-an-ideology-and-not-informing-the-public/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Gerald+Giam+cites+survey+showing+57%+of+S’poreans+think+media+is+concerned+with+supporting+an+ideology+and+not+informing+the+public&url=https://theindependent.sg/gerald-giam-cites-survey-showing-57-of-sporeans-think-media-is-concerned-with-supporting-an-ideology-and-not-informing-the-public/&via=Independentsg
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&url=https://theindependent.sg/gerald-giam-cites-survey-showing-57-of-sporeans-think-media-is-concerned-with-supporting-an-ideology-and-not-informing-the-public/&title=Gerald+Giam+cites+survey+showing+57%+of+S’poreans+think+media+is+concerned+with+supporting+an+ideology+and+not+informing+the+public
https://telegram.me/share/url?url=https://theindependent.sg/gerald-giam-cites-survey-showing-57-of-sporeans-think-media-is-concerned-with-supporting-an-ideology-and-not-informing-the-public/&text=Gerald+Giam+cites+survey+showing+57%+of+S’poreans+think+media+is+concerned+with+supporting+an+ideology+and+not+informing+the+public
https://reddit.com/submit?url=https://theindependent.sg/gerald-giam-cites-survey-showing-57-of-sporeans-think-media-is-concerned-with-supporting-an-ideology-and-not-informing-the-public/&title=Gerald+Giam+cites+survey+showing+57%+of+S’poreans+think+media+is+concerned+with+supporting+an+ideology+and+not+informing+the+public
AUTHOR
Denise Teh
DATE
May 11, 2021

Singapore — Workers’ Party MP Gerald Giam points out that, despite trusting news organisations, many Singaporeans also feel that the news is skewed towards politics rather than actual news.
Minister for Information and Communications S Iswaran delivered a major ministerial statement on “Restructuring in the Local News Media” in Parliament on Monday (May 10). The minister cited the 2021 Edelman Trust Barometer which reported the Singaporeans’ trust in local media at 62 per cent, above the global average of 51 per cent, and well above that in the United States (45 per cent), and the UK and France (37 per cent).
Following his statement, MPs were given the opportunity to ask for clarifications.
Mr Giam, one of the five Workers’ Party MPs for Aljunied GRC, wrote on Facebook: “Unfortunately, the debate ended before several MPs and I could pose our questions (despite me raising my hand from the start).”

Mr Giam pointed out the same Edelman Trust Barometer 2021 survey also found that 57 per cent of those polled in Singapore think that “most news organisations are more concerned with supporting an ideology or political position than with informing the public”.
The survey also showed that 57 per cent of Singaporeans believe “journalists and reporters could be purposely trying to mislead people by saying things they know are false or gross exaggerations” while 49 per cent feel that the media is not doing well at being objective and non-partisan.
Mr Giam asks if this has impacted the readership of local media in recent years. He also asks if the Government considered the possibility that granting more editorial independence to local media companies, including SPH Media, will help them attract more readers, subscriptions and revenue, and make them more sustainable on their own.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

S’pore had editors in ST “who were prepared” to resist pressure from Govt, but end up paying the price, says former editor PN Balji​

by Aldgra F.
27/05/2021
in Commentaries, Media
Reading Time: 5 mins read
S’pore had editors in ST “who were prepared” to resist pressure from Govt, but end up paying the price, says former editor PN Balji

Singapore had editors in the mainstream media “who were prepared” to resist pressure from the Government for the sake of good journalism, said veteran journalist PN Balji in a roundtable conversation organised by Future of Singapore (FOSG) on Saturday (22 May).
Mr Balji, with over 40 years of experience in Singapore’s journalism, has worked at five newspapers – Malay Mail, New Nation, The Straits Times (ST), The New Paper (TNP), and TODAY.
During the roundtable conversation, he described his transfer to ST as more of a “forced entry”, given that he was left with no choice when New Nation closed down, indicating it was the “most difficult period” throughout his journalism career.
“Because I have always worked in underdog publications, and to go into a kind of a very straight-jacketed newspaper with a straight-jacketed newsroom structure was very difficult for me to adjust,” he remarked.
Mr Balji shared his experience working in ST, where he attended “many meetings” chaired by the editor-in-chief of ST, saying how some editors who attempted to disagree with the Government’s requests would end up paying the price.
“We had editors who were prepared to kind of tell the Government, even to [founding Prime Minister] Lee Kuan Yew, that if you force us to do this, this is not going to be good for the Government and the media,” he noted, citing examples from the former editor-in-chief of ST Cheong Yip Seng’s memoir.
Mr Balji recalled when former editor-in-chief Peter Lim received calls from James Fu, the late LKY’s press secretary, who conveyed LKY’s request to publish opposition politician Chiam See Tong’s O-Level results during the 1984 election.
In 1984, Chiam See Tong contested the Potong Pasir seat against the People’s Action Party (PAP) Mah Bow Tan and won with 60.3 per cent of the votes.
Mr Lim, however, refused to publish the full results as he was convinced that it would backfire against the ruling party PAP and the media.
Consequently, he resigned from his position and has never spoken publicly about it.
“He gave a one-line answer in Mary Turnbull’s book on ST, and that one line answer was that ‘a member of the board told me my deputy was ready to take over’. At that time Peter was 53 years old,” he added.
Mr Balji also cited the former editor of ST, Leslie Fong, who was nearly sacked from his position over a column he wrote on ST.
“I know this because I was at the meeting where Leslie actually mentioned this,” he noted.
According to him, the late LKY had instructed the then-executive chairman of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) Lim Kim San to sack Mr Fong, but in turn, Mr Lim made a deal to allow Mr Fong to keep his job but stopped him from writing columns.
“Leslie paid a price, he didn’t become the editor-in-chief which is a normal route – editor of ST becomes the editor-in-chief – and he was moved to head the China desk,” he added.
ST reported in 2016 that Mr Fong has retired from the SPH at the age of 66.

These incidents might have discouraged current editors of ST to even argue with the Government, said Mr Balji, pointing out that they fear the risk of losing jobs in ST and good salaries.
“Not to forget Han Fook Kwang who was the editor of ST and the 2011 elections, the coverage in ST was to my view one of the fairest in recent times. What happened to him? Soon after, he was removed and Warren Fernandez was brought in as the editor,” he added.
Mr Balji went on to share about his discussion with a senior minister a few years ago, during which he told the senior minister to stop all the ministers from making speeches.
He pointed out that most of the ministers’ speeches were “dull” with repetitive points, and the kind of words they used do not fit into modern society.
To his surprise, the senior minister did not put up any defence during the meeting, but instead, he asked for more elaborations from Mr Balji.
“I came out of that meeting quite hopeful. That was a few years ago but obviously things have not changed. Maybe the minister that I met had tried to do something but the cabinet or somebody else didn’t approve,” he added.

Liberalisation of media

Speaking of the liberalisation of media, Mr Balji highlighted that the Government had previously announced in the year 2000 that it aimed to liberalise Singapore’s media.
But their definition of liberalisation was to grant licenses to the SPH to start two TV channels, and allow MediaCorp to launch TODAY, said the veteran journalist.
“A good friend of mine told me many years ago that this is not liberalisation, this is proliferation. We have more TV channels and maybe extra newspapers. But this is not media liberalisation,” he added.
Mr Balji also shared his experience of working in TODAY, saying that about 30 years ago, the team came up with the idea to do “analytical reporting” when planning for the concept of TODAY newspapers.
One of the reporters asked during the team meeting, “But won’t the Government get angry with us?”, to which Mr Balji replied that he believed that former Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong will not interfere with the publication.
“In that three years I was there, Goh Chok Tong never interferes,” he noted.
Despite that, Mr Balji noted that some editors from ST had attempted to campaign with the Government and questioned why TODAY was allowed to do such reporting.
He then decided to meet one of the ministers to explain the publication’s approach in its reporting, in which he was told by the minister not to worry as he understood “the game that’s being played”.
“I think it’s quite sad to see the kind of journalism that we have in the mainstream media, and I’m so glad that we have active social media,” said Mr Balji, adding that he acknowledged the “serious discussion” are being raised on social media nowadays.

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm wondering just how they can say things like "independent", "editorial integrity" etc with a straight face. Truly oscar performances from all parties involved.

its exactly 50% subsidy by gahmen when they oledi increased 200%, and followed by another 300% gradually!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
A totalitarian regime has no real journalism, and therefore no 'editorial integrity'.

Any articles or cartoons mocking Lee Hsien Loong in the mainstream newspapers? No? There you go. :cool:

Poon pe pe again.

Western media are divided into different news and Fox News is dominated to spread war narrative and beat war drums News.

What freedom of publish as you wish? Fuck off...

What is real journalism and fake one?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Poon pe pe again.

Western media are divided into different news and Fox News is dominated to spread war narrative and beat war drums News.

What freedom of publish as you wish? Fuck off...

What is real journalism and fake one?

Please don't kill yourself when 中华人民共和国 gets regime changed, and CGTN, Xinhua etc are no more, okay? :biggrin:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Former Accenture Singapore chairman Teo Lay Lim named CEO of SPH Media Group​

fhceos070222.jpg

Ms Teo Lay Lim (left) will take over as the new chief executive of SPH Media Group from interim CEO Patrick Daniel.
PHOTOS: SPH MEDIA TRUST, KUA CHEE SIONG
clementyong.png

Clement Yong

Feb 7, 2022

SINGAPORE - Ms Teo Lay Lim, former chairman of IT services and consulting firm Accenture Singapore, will be the new chief executive of SPH Media Group.
A statement from SPH Media Trust on Monday (Feb 7) said she will take over from interim CEO Patrick Daniel from March 1, ending a leadership succession process for the new not-for-profit media entity that has lasted nearly nine months.
Ms Teo, 58, a Singaporean, faces the challenging task of continuing SPH Media Group's efforts to go digital and attract readership, at a time when media companies worldwide are facing falling advertising revenues and changing reading patterns.
SPH Media Group, which publishes The Straits Times and Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao, among other titles, was spun off from Singapore Press Holdings in December last year, after it was decided that a new business model was needed to help its media business secure public and private funds.
SPH Media Trust chairman Khaw Boon Wan said on Monday that Ms Teo is the right fit for the company at this critical juncture.
"Lay Lim brings with her a wealth of experience. She has an acute sense of creating opportunities for commercial growth. Most importantly, she possesses a passion for building and transforming people and organisations for the long term.
"The group looks forward to working closely with Lay Lim on strategies to underscore its vision and mission to produce trusted quality journalism."

Two weeks ago at a media briefing, Mr Khaw said the new CEO should ideally be Singaporean and be digitally savvy or have media experience.
He or she should be able to take SPH Media Trust into the future as a multilingual digital media organisation, as someone who "understands both East and West and is Singaporean at heart - and be among the world's best", he added.
Ms Teo brings with her more than 30 years of expertise in Ireland-based company Accenture. She has regional experience, as CEO of Accenture South-east Asia from 2011 to 2020, and a familiarity with China, having spent two years based in Shanghai.

SPH Media Trust said she has a track record of building businesses from the ground up. She started Accenture's customer relationship management practice, as well as its analytics and sustainability services, at a time when these were still emerging sectors.
Ms Teo said in a press statement: "I am honoured to be given the opportunity to lead the SPH Media Group as CEO during these exciting times. As we work to keep pace with a very dynamic media landscape, I will be working closely with my colleagues in our transformation journey to create trusted products for our always connected audiences."

In an interview with The Business Times in March last year, she said she was an avid reader of biographies of historical figures when she was younger - a hobby which translated into a fascination for viewing events through the lens of the individual.
This curiosity and appreciation of each individual's unique qualities guided her approach at Accenture, added Ms Teo, who studied business administration at the National University of Singapore.
She is a member of the Future Economy Council - chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat - set up in 2018 to help implement recommendations to prepare Singapore's economy for the future.
She was appointed an independent director of UOB on Jan 1 this year.
In his statement, Mr Khaw thanked Mr Daniel for coming out of retirement to oversee SPH Media Group's smooth restructuring.
Mr Daniel, who had retired in 2017 as deputy CEO of SPH, said: "It has been my privilege to lead the transition team overseeing the smooth restructuring of the SPH media business as a not-for-profit entity. I am happy to hand over the reins to Lay Lim.
"I have every confidence that under her leadership, the SPH Media Group will succeed in its mission."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SPH Media Trust to get up to $180m a year in government funding for next five years​

fhsmt150222.jpg

In its initial years, SPH Media Trust is expected to spend approximately 40 per cent of government funding on technology investments and digital talent. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
goh_yan_han.png

Goh Yan Han
Political Correspondent

Feb 15, 2022

SINGAPORE - SPH Media Trust (SMT) will get government funding of up to $180 million annually over the next five years, and the company will be required to provide half-yearly progress updates, Minister for Communications and Information Josephine Teo told Parliament on Tuesday (Feb 15).
The Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) has set aside this funding support to provide SMT with more capital to invest in the future while ensuring it is able to sustain current operations during this critical transition period, she added. The funding quantum will also be reviewed after the first five years based on the progress that SMT has made.
SMT had spun off from mainboard-listed company Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) to become a not-for-profit entity last December, and shared its plans with the public last month.
Mrs Teo was responding to several questions from Ms Tin Pei Ling (MacPherson) and Ms Hany Soh (Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC) on how to ensure funding support for SMT goes towards digital transformation, as well as from Mr Alex Yam (Marsiling-Yew Tee GRC) on editorial independence and Mr Sharael Taha (Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC) on the viability of vernacular media, among others.
The minister noted that Singaporeans consume varied perspectives from around the world, but "preserving local news media remains critical".
"Our local news media provides a vital Singaporean lens through which citizens can make sense of global events. It is an essential public good in our multiracial, multi-religious society," she said.
Mrs Teo said that in the initial years, the ministry expects SMT to spend approximately 40 per cent of the funding on technology investments and digital talent.

The remainder will be spent on newsroom capability building and training, in particular for the vernacular newsrooms, she said.
With such a significant amount of public funding, the MCI will monitor SMT's performance closely through key performance indicators, she added.
These will track total reach and engagement of SMT's products, with a focus on digital platforms; specific reach indicators for vernacular groups and youth; and the resilience of SMT's flagship products to minimise downtime and disruption.

Said Mrs Teo: "SMT is required to provide progress updates to MCI on a half-yearly basis. This allows MCI to track SMT's progress, and for the Government to help SMT achieve its desired outcomes when necessary."
The minister noted that readership and trust in SMT's journalism continue to be high, citing a 2021 survey that found SMT's weekly reach extends to almost 75 per cent of Singaporeans, who trust it to produce reliable news and content.
On top of the cost of producing quality content, newsrooms must also invest in reaching audiences in a crowded digital space, she added.
She cited German publisher Axel Springer, which in 2019 committed €100 million (S$152.5 million) in investments for digital growth projects at two of its papers, on top of its information technology development projects supporting its digital business model, which amounted to another €100 million.
She also cited The New York Times, which has been prioritising its digital growth and has seen its product development costs increase more than 25 per cent year on year - exceeding US$130 million (S$175 million) in 2020.

To achieve its mission, SMT must do three things, she said.
It must make long-term investments in the capability development of technology and talent, sustain and develop the vernacular news media, and position itself as a regional thought leader, she said.
Based on an MCI survey, around 65 per cent of respondents accessed SMT's digital content frequently in 2020, a steep jump from about 40 per cent the year before. In contrast, hard-copy reach declined from about 40 per cent to 30 per cent over the same period.
The digital pivot of SMT will be key to growing its reach and this includes packaging complex information in a variety of ways, such as videos, podcasts and interactive infographics, as well as having sufficiently robust infrastructure at the back end.
The new SPH Media Academy will also update newsrooms' training programmes for the digital age.
Addressing questions from Mr Sharael about the viability, relevance and growing the reach of vernacular media, Mrs Teo said that although vernacular readership is smaller and thus more challenging to independently sustain, it is critical to provide credible news products that serve Singapore's multiracial society.
She said: "If we had allowed our vernacular media to wither, Singapore would have been the poorer for it. We would have lost our souls.
"Even if they were to be unviable business propositions - which they are not - we believe it is in the public interest to do all we can."
To preserve and develop all the vernacular outlets in both SMT and Mediacorp, the government funding for SMT will go towards sustaining vernacular newsrooms, and developing new content formats like videos and podcasts, to reach younger generations, she added.
SMT will also be partnering clan associations, community groups and schools to provide students with greater access to its vernacular products, she said.
fhvernacular150222.jpg

To preserve and develop all the vernacular outlets in both SMT and Mediacorp, the government funding for SMT will go towards sustaining vernacular newsrooms. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

To boost its thought leadership capabilities, SMT will also expand its foreign bureaus, host more events and forums, and establish more partnerships to build an international audience.
Said Mrs Teo: "As much as the media is coming under challenge throughout the world, we must be mindful that the major powers are waging a constant battle for hearts and minds worldwide - including our hearts and minds in Singapore.
"As a small country, we are especially prone to influence campaigns - overt or covert. And as a multiracial, multilingual country, we are especially prone to the cultural, social and even political influence that countries like China and India can continue to exert abroad."
Hence, there is a need to have Singaporeans reporting on the world from the Singaporean perspective, she said.
"A Singaporean reporting on China, for example, would afford us a lens very different from an American or a European doing so. Thus, the growth of SMT's overseas bureaus is an important area of capability development we want to support."
The minister noted that the direction SMT is charting out is promising, but will require significant investments over a period of time, and said SMT will likely be loss-making during the transition.
"The Government is ready to put support behind SMT's transformation. We are committed to safeguarding the information space for our citizens," she said.
She added that government funding of news media is common in many countries, and has increased in some cases during Covid-19, underscoring the public good that trusted journalism provides in a complex environment.
In 2020, the French government introduced a subsidy package of more than €480 million to support its news media in weathering Covid-19 losses and moving to digital platforms, while Norway and Sweden rendered €43 million and €65 million of aid respectively to their press.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The Government is ready to put support behind SMT's transformation. We are committed to safeguarding the information space for our citizens," she said.
She added that government funding of news media is common in many countries, and has increased in some cases during Covid-19, underscoring the public good that trusted journalism provides in a complex environment.
In 2020, the French government introduced a subsidy package of more than €480 million to support its news media in weathering Covid-19 losses and moving to digital platforms, while Norway and Sweden rendered €43 million and €65 million of aid respectively to their press.

This is ingeneous. They are supporting local media to protect us against overseas influence.
Also, when convenient, use overseas examples to justify actions. Quite smart leh.

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is no longer contradiction, but outright Editorial lies.

remember! there is NO journalism in this country..... our news is mere press release!

this means country's newspapers just print & release what gahmen wants us to see & read!

or counter us from reading what outside world would wanna us read & see instead.

haizzz . . . with this, how to become 1st world country or so-called democratic country

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From Small Space Jo's long winding aimless speech, it is going to be the same going
forward. Except this time, we are all shareholders who are paying for the PAP for its
inhouse newsletter. Such brilliance of a marketing scheme.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
remember! there is NO journalism in this country..... our news is mere press release!

this means country's newspapers just print & release what gahmen wants us to see & read!

or counter us from reading what outside world would wanna us read & see instead.

haizzz . . . with this, how to become 1st world country or so-called democratic country
Why worry. I don't buy, don't subscribe, don't read and don't believe everything that came out of the govt Shit Hole, I am safe and sane.