• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMRT Tragedy at Paya Lebar waiting to happen

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I work at the Singapore Post Office building, which is just next to the Paya Lebar MRT station.

There is a sizeable crowd, crossing at the traffic lights in between the Post Building and the MRT station. And its basically a scrummage session, between those crossing the road.

When the MRT station was orginally built, i presume it was built with sufficient walkway space, to cater for the commuters, to enable them to walk safely.

Unfortunately, concerns for revenues and profitability, must have caused SMRT to build a row of mini shops, along the walkway trying to imitate the efforts of the HK MTR system.

At least 50% of the original walkway are taken up by these shops, at peak periods it causes severe congestion.

The situation is very dangerous, given the large number of people crossing and waiting at the traffic lights daily.

It is tragedy waiting to occur, where either a passenger is pushed or falls onto the road in the face of oncoming traffic. Which is pretty high speed traffic.

I am not very happy about the authorities sacrificing safety for people like us who depend on the MRT and buses, for our daily travel needs, just for the sake of increased profits.

When someone is injured, who is responsible.

Is it the CEO of the SMRT who gave the go ahead for such a reckless plan or the LTA, who did not even bother to look at the impact caused by SMRT in terms of traffice pattern usage at the site.

Sayn

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I work at the Singapore Post Office building, which is just next to the Paya Lebar MRT station.

There is a sizeable crowd, crossing at the traffic lights in between the Post Building and the MRT station. And its basically a scrummage session, between those crossing the road.

When the MRT station was orginally built, i presume it was built with sufficient walkway space, to cater for the commuters, to enable them to walk safely.

Unfortunately, concerns for revenues and profitability, must have caused SMRT to build a row of mini shops, along the walkway trying to imitate the efforts of the HK MTR system.

At least 50% of the original walkway are taken up by these shops, at peak periods it causes severe congestion.

The situation is very dangerous, given the large number of people crossing and waiting at the traffic lights daily.

It is tragedy waiting to occur, where either a passenger is pushed or falls onto the road in the face of oncoming traffic. Which is pretty high speed traffic.

I am not very happy about the authorities sacrificing safety for people like us who depend on the MRT and buses, for our daily travel needs, just for the sake of increased profits.

Is it the CEO of the SMRT who gave the go ahead for such a reckless plan or the LTA, who did not even bother to look at the impact caused by SMRT in terms of traffice pattern usage at the site.

Sayn

They only care for MONEY.....LTA..etc.., MONEY, make more MONEY, you die your business!, you are careless, your business!. Travel the length & breadth of all Singapore's expressway, you will know what I am saying!...it is MONEY!

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lest you are not aware, PAP has only 1 principle in mind:

YOU DIE YOUR OWN BUSINESS !! IF YOU DIE, PAP PAID 1 LESS IN ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING PACKAGE !!

Sayn

gimidy17

Alfrescian
Loyal
.... Unfortunately, concerns for revenues and profitability, must have caused SMRT to build a row of mini shops, along the walkway trying to imitate the efforts of the HK MTR system.

Another case of Profitability, profit is their key performance indicators, unless SMRT wants to be deemed as a thoughful organsiation, it would remain this way.

Last edited:

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahahahaaa...... Your joke brighten up my day !! Thank you.

Not meant to take out of context:"SMRT wants to be deemed as a thoughful organsiation,....."

Another case of Profitability, profit is their key performance indicates, unless SMRT wants to be deemed as a thoughful organsiation, it would remain this way.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
U think that is bad just go and see Yishun station the place outside the NTUC already so congested and yet the make a newstand along the walkway. That CEO of SMRT make me sick just to make a few $$ make so many people so pissed off. But then she also cannot be blamed when Singaporeans are so dumb that they have to look overseas for people to run their lives from health to their money. Seems like Singaporeans can only do cleaning and security guard jobs other than that the goverment think the locals are incompitent of doing that they need FT to do.

jw5

Loyal

Sayn
You should go and talk to Ms Saw and come back here and tell us what she said.

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, are we too pampered?? Why can't we just learn to better take care of ourselves?? Must blame everything under the sun except ourselves when something bad happens.

No wonder people in our neighboring countries are laughing at us, say that singaporeans don't even know how to cross a road without a traffic light or zebra crossing.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They only care for MONEY.....LTA..etc.., MONEY, make more MONEY, you die your business!, you are careless, your business!. Travel the length & breadth of all Singapore's expressway, you will know what I am saying!...it is MONEY!

Not only that. The Familee members know that come what may, they can be assured that the KKJ court would be on their side when in a real country, they would have been sued till their undies drop!

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Erro*, it is not a matter of taking care of ourselves.

SMRT has created a situation which is dangerous, and ultimately, someone will be injured or killed, as a result of placing profit over social responsibility.

sayn

tiulehloumoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Brainless pedestrian here blame everyone except themselves... see those queuing in AMK hub bus interchange.... they just queue one behind and form a queue across without one making a U-turn, and blocking the path of other pedestrain....:mad:

eRRoRist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Erro*, it is not a matter of taking care of ourselves.

SMRT has created a situation which is dangerous, and ultimately, someone will be injured or killed, as a result of placing profit over social responsibility.

sayn

Yes, it's not a nice world out there. People are constantly trying to rip you off, people can put toxic substance into milk to earn more money. What do we do?? Blame AVA for not checking every single product that comes in?? Sometime we have just got to lookout for ourselves. Be more careful when buying things, be more street smart when someone walks up to you and try to get you to buy something, donate money. Don't expect anybody to take care of you like a little baby.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another case of Profitability, profit is their key performance indicators, unless SMRT wants to be deemed as a thoughful organsiation, it would remain this way.

But regular fare hike to go on despite additional income stream from rentals?

jastsen

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes. the authorities should consider bro sayn's opinion. safety of people should not be ignored.
bros, you are right, the walkway is getting overcrowded everyday during noon. furthermore the cars travelling toward TK are moving very fast.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that means you have to walk slowly

does it kill you if you take a few more minutes to walk to MRT station or to your office?

what a rubbish post.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, it's not a nice world out there. People are constantly trying to rip you off, people can put toxic substance into milk to earn more money. What do we do?? Blame AVA for not checking every single product that comes in?? Sometime we have just got to lookout for ourselves. Be more careful when buying things, be more street smart when someone walks up to you and try to get you to buy something, donate money. Don't expect anybody to take care of you like a little baby.

Do not understand your point using AVA as an example. How do we take care of ourselves when people put toxic substances into milk? I hope it does not mean that all of us have to set up our own private labs at home to test all the food we buy before consumption so as to take care of ourselves.

The AVA is set up with tax payers' money and is paid to do the job of being the only gate through which dangerous food stuffs are prevented from reaching the population. I would believe this IS their fundamental responsibility.

If they keep on relying on other govt agencies like HK to detect problems, then what is AVA for? Just passing messages? Why don't we just read off health warnings from the HK agency's web site and save ourselves the cost of maintaining an expensive agency?