• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMRT lied on waiting time for train

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Train frequency at Jurong MRT station needs improvement
<LINK rel=image_src href="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpdOlDha.jpg">

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
<!-- for social media sharing functions --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var addthis_pub="cnaacc"; var addthis_options = 'facebook, twitter, live, google, linkedin, digg, yahoobkm, more'; var storyTitle = "Train frequency at Jurong MRT station needs improvement"; var newStoryTitle = storyTitle.replace(/'/g,'\''); newStoryTitle = newStoryTitle.replace(/;\n/g,''); newStoryTitle = newStoryTitle.replace(/"/g,'&quot;'); var addthis_config = { "data_track_clickback": true, ui_click: true } </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/250/addthis_widget.js?pub=cnaacc"></SCRIPT>
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><!-- AddThis Button END -->

<TBODY>
</TBODY>
<!-- END social media sharing functions -->
SINGAPORE : Some commuters are still complaining about the frequency of trains along the East-West line, despite improvements done to the Jurong East MRT station recently.

In May, authorities opened a new platform at the station and added five new trains to the route.

This was meant to cut down on commuter travel time and ease crowding at the platform.

Operator SMRT said the current average waiting time is about 2.5 to 4 minutes during morning rush hours.

But commuters said this is not the case.

"The waiting time is about 4 to 5 minutes, sometimes I have to wait 6 minutes because they will have announcements telling us there's some track problem," said MRT commuter Chow Zhihong.

SMRT said the longer intervals for east-bound trains arise when trains on the North-South line approach Jurong East Station and east-bound trains have to give way.

It added there are system limitations, and trains are already running at their maximum capacities during morning peak hours.

It said wet weather and boarding times can also cause delays.

SMRT said 10 service staff have been deployed at Jurong and Clementi stations during morning rush hours to improve passenger flow during peak hours.

<!-- Zone Tag : Channel News asia In Text <script type="text/javascript"> innity_pub = "66368270ffd51418ec58bd793f2d9b1b"; innity_zone = "12251"; innity_width = "**"; innity_height = "**"; innity_country = "SG"; </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.innity.com/network.js"></script>-->

mrssmith

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time to ride your bicycle Jun Jie? That is more your style innit? Or upgrade to a Scooter and you could balance your entire family on it.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what I have been telling people all along that thou you might have the best software your hardware cannot support the demands of a 2.5 min turnaround time. Furthermore putting into consideration of the screwup design of the turn around point at JUR its a wonder they can maintain a 2.5min turnaround time at all. Increasing the headway of the trains have its dangers too as some of the stations are so close that the stopping distance needed just incase of some unforseen screwup might not be enough putting into consideration these are steel wheels and not rubber tires. Those who have worked in the rail systems will know that when brakes are applied on steel wheels it will not stop on the dot but will slip and slide. At the current time MRT is going at 80kmh which in normal conditions at grade will take anywhere from 100m to 150m to stop. Now put in the fact like up hill and down hill ( Eg. AMK to BSH ) and the distance varies hence if any of you staying in AMK will notice why some trains during rainy days overshot BSH and stops at BDL. Now let me give you an example of what a screwup I am talking about. Let say some lubricant found its way onto the tracks. Not much lets just say the size of a 50cent coin and sprinkle over lets say Kallang to Lavender a more gradual slope compare with Ang Mo Kio to Bishan and due to a reduction in headway time MRT decided to pack more trains inbetween and increase the speed. Now think what will be the outcome if the trains increased speed ( Ans : Takes longer braking distance ) and increase the number of trains in the system = shorter distance between each train = shorter emergency breaking distance couple with the fact of tunnel = Let your immagination run wild :smile: Look for yourself at the N/S line they say can meet the 2min headway goto WDL and see for yourself the headway during the even rush hour and tell me.

The truth is out there all you need is to use your eyes and and ears and the truth will bare herself naked infront of you.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always thinking that why SMRT/public transport want to give false comment example service improve waiting time cut short. They think commuter are stupid cannot count or judge.
Also Ministers said fare increase 1%, I dont think so next few month or in 3 month many story will reveal the truth increase.

Last edited:

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I always thinking that why SMRT/public transport want to give false comment example service improve waiting time cut short. They think commuter are stupid cannot count or judge.
Also Ministers said fare increase 1%, I dont think so next few month or in 3 month many story will reveal the truth increase.

Some ppl dun bother or dun surf SBF ma, everything also listen to beautiful news.
Welcome to the dark side.

evisionary

Alfrescian
Loyal
The two public transport operators, SBS Transit and SMRT, seek a 2.8 % increase with the Public Transport Council (PTC) for bus and train fare adjustments. Government eventually approves with a 1.7% so looking at the Math;

"Operator SMRT said the current average waiting time is about 2.5 to 4 minutes during morning rush hours." - Perfect outcome of 100% increase.

"The waiting time is about 4 to 5 minutes, sometimes I have to wait 6 minutes because they will have announcements telling us there's some track problem," said MRT commuter Chow Zhihong. - Best outcome with the 60% increase.

It is Fair.

Leepotism

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The two public transport operators, SBS Transit and SMRT, seek a 2.8 % increase with the Public Transport Council (PTC) for bus and train fare adjustments. Government eventually approves with a 1.7% so looking at the Math;

"Operator SMRT said the current average waiting time is about 2.5 to 4 minutes during morning rush hours." - Perfect outcome of 100% increase.

"The waiting time is about 4 to 5 minutes, sometimes I have to wait 6 minutes because they will have announcements telling us there's some track problem," said MRT commuter Chow Zhihong. - Best outcome with the 60% increase.

It is Fair.

Half increase, half measure.:biggrin:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you take the north-south line many trains services terminate at Angmo Kio or Yishun.

Pity the folks who are trying to go further down the line. Guess they'll have to crowd into the next train:rolleyes: