• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Smallest margin gives He Zi second title

HereIsTheNews

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Smallest margin gives He Zi second title

Chinese diver He Zi isn't too concerned about slim victory after executing perfect dive to get better of Tania Cagnotto.

Last Modified: 23 Jul 2013 15:43

2013723152629999580_20.jpg

China's He Zi dives her way to world title - a year after taking gold at the London Games [Reuters]

He Zi won her second world title in the women's 1-meter springboard, edging out Tania Cagnotto of Italy by 0.10 points on Tuesday after executing a near flawless final dive.

The margin of victory is the smallest to decide a gold medal in men's or women's diving at any worlds. He totaled 307.10 points to reclaim the title the Chinese diver first won in 2007.

"I'm a little surprised by the result of the day,'' He said.

"But I am very happy. I haven't thought about (the margin of victory). I can't even believe that I have the gold medal.''

I'm a little surprised by the result of the day... But I am very happy. I haven't thought about (the margin of victory). I can't even believe that I have the gold medal

He Zi, World title winner

He has won four career world medals in various diving events. She also took gold at the 2012 Olympics in 3-meter synchronized springboard and silver in the 3-meter individual springboard.

Cagnotto won her second silver at these worlds with 307 points. She finished second with Francesca Dallape in the women's 3-meter synchronized springboard on Saturday.

Wang Han of China took bronze with 297.75, adding to her silver in 2011 and bronze in 2009 at this event.

"I wish diving wouldn't be that close because it hurts," Cagnotto said.

"Of course I am a little disappointed because I don't know if I will have more chances like this to win a world championship. But if I think about my year and how I really took it easy and didn't come here in shape, it's OK."

China has won four of the five diving golds so far at the Montjuic pool, and is poised to win another after Qin Kai and He Chong dominated the preliminaries in the men's 3-meter synchronized springboard earlier on Tuesday.

He started well with an inward pike with 1 1/2 somersaults to lead by more than three points from Cagnotto and Wang.

However, Cagnotto entered the final round with a five-point lead over He.

She looked set to win her first world title after a reverse pike with 1 1/2 somersaults drew wild cheers from the smattering of Italian fans.

But on the last dive, He nailed a difficult reverse with 1 1/2 somersaults and 1 1/2 twists for 66.30 points, the highest single score of the final.

Cagnotto said she had had to deal with bigger blows than this.

"I already had this kind of experience in London, but it was worse because I was 0.20 behind the bronze," she said.

"(Today) I'm happy and satisfied. This is the first time I got so close to the Chinese, and it is an honour to be so close to them.''

AP