• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkies gave up on our world class healthcare!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore: S'poreans Heading Abroad For Cheaper Medical Care
Business 2008-10-20 13:51

SINGAPORE: Four months ago, Terence Seah flew to Bangkok for his full body check-up.

What would have cost the technical director S$750 (US$506) in Singapore came up to only S$500 (US$337) at the Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok.

Such savings have come under the spotlight after health minister Khaw Boon Wan said last Friday (17 Oct) that Singaporeans may be allowed to use their Medisave for treatment overseas, if done through a hospital here.

He said that hospitals here with branches or formal relationships with reputable hospitals in the region may find it sensible to outsource some routine in-patient or day-surgery services abroad.

This is good news for Seah, 53, who also seeks dental care in Thailand, paying S$50 (US$33) for teeth whitening as opposed to S$300 here (US$202).

"Previously, people worried about the safety and sanitation abroad; now, their standards have gone up," said the man who has taken advantage of the cheaper cost in recent years.

He is not alone. Singaporeans have been heading to places such as Thailand and Malaysia for less pricey treatments, including Lasik and plastic surgery, for several years now.

In May last year, beauty therapist Tomio Tong, 42, flew to Taiwan for a facelift. Two plastic surgeons at Mount Elizabeth Hospital here had quoted prices of S$30,000 and S$50,000 (US$20,274 and US$33,790).

The surgeon in Taiwan, a veteran, charged only S$11,000 (US$7,433).

"The standard of plastic surgery in Taiwan is very high. Singapore's losing out because of skills and price," said Tong, who paid S$1,200 (US$810) for airfare and accommodation in Taiwan.

Seah also felt that the service he got for his body check-up in Thailand exceeded that at Singapore hospitals.

Throughout his four-hour examination, an English-speaking nurse guided him from station to station. The doctors also explained the test findings in detail.

At the end of the check-up, patients could rest in a lounge, with food and drinks provided.

"Singapore hospitals tend to do things very quickly and rush you from one station to the other. The staff are also less friendly," he said.

But consultant cardiothoracic and vascular surgeon Eugene Sim said safety and reliability matter more than cost and service.

"Singapore's medical care is one of the best in the region. For those to whom cost is important, subsidised care in a restructured hospital is a better alternative than bearing the inconvenience and possibly higher expense of going overseas," he said.

He does not foresee recommending patients to head overseas.

Singapore's reputation as a medical hub also prompted an oncologist, who did not want to be named, to say: "While foreigners are coming in, getting Singaporeans to seek help overseas would seem strange."

Singapore hospitals, public and private, saw 410,000 foreign patients in 2006.

The crux of the matter, said Professor Arthur Lim, president of the Medical Alumni Association, is that Medisave belongs to the patient.

"If he can get better treatment in a reputable overseas institution, or a treatment unavailable here, we should support the individual," he added.

He noted that the competition would also improve standards in the medical industry.

So will there be a rush for treatment overseas if people are allowed to use their Medisave?

For some, like medical sales manager Tricocia Low, 40, the inconvenience of having to travel is a deterrent, especially if follow-up procedures are needed or when complications arise.

"I would prefer my family to be with me if I need medical treatment. Besides, there's a reason foreigners are coming into Singapore for treatment," she said. (By MAVIS TOH/ The Straits Times/ ANN)

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Singapore's medical care is one of the best in the region. For those to whom cost is important, subsidised care in a restructured hospital is a better alternative than bearing the inconvenience and possibly higher expense of going overseas," he said.

That is what i meant by sinkie statement. ALways think that they are superior than others, What a way to educate your citizens, no wonder most of them behave like shit in bangkok.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Malaysia and Thailand are good places to go!

you go at your own peril. come back with all sorts of complications. worse spend more and more. singapore is still world class medical hub. don't be fooled by cheap cheap medical treatment overseas. better to to china much cheaper. but come back with all sorts of nonsense. if you're unlucky, you don't wake up at all. so stay well and stay healthy.if possible, don't go to hospital.die die at home.be prepared. remember hospitals are commercial enterprises out to make money from the sick and the suffering. you go in and pray hard you come out alive! more so in other countries which offer cheap cheap medical care. don't believe? go and see for yourself.

singapore medical healthcare is still the best in the world.:biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
These are true feedbacks by others Singaporeans:

What would have cost the technical director S$750 (US$506) in Singapore came up to only S$500 (US$337) at the Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. ( by the way this is one of the most expensive hospital in Bangkok , you can even go to even cheaper ones to just do a full body check up)

This is good news for Seah, 53, who also seeks dental care in Thailand, paying S$50 (US$33) for teeth whitening as opposed to S$300 here (US$202).

n May last year, beauty therapist Tomio Tong, 42, flew to Taiwan for a facelift. Two plastic surgeons at Mount Elizabeth Hospital here had quoted prices of S$30,000 and S$50,000 (US$20,274 and US$33,790).

The surgeon in Taiwan, a veteran, charged only S$11,000 (US$7,433).

"The standard of plastic surgery in Taiwan is very high. Singapore's losing out because of skills and price," said Tong, who paid S$1,200 (US$810) for airfare and accommodation in Taiwan.

Seah also felt that the service he got for his body check-up in Thailand exceeded that at Singapore hospitals.

Throughout his four-hour examination, an English-speaking nurse guided him from station to station. The doctors also explained the test findings in detail.

At the end of the check-up, patients could rest in a lounge, with food and drinks provided.

"Singapore hospitals tend to do things very quickly and rush you from one station to the other. The staff are also less friendly," he said.

However, the sinkie PAP head with his sinkie face and accent still shout loudly:

Singapore's medical care is one of the best in the region. For those to whom cost is important, subsidised care in a restructured hospital is a better alternative than bearing the inconvenience and possibly higher expense of going overseas," he said.

Rather than humbly trying to makes plans to cheaper cost and better service. Sinkie Sinkie sinkie..

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this Terence guy didn't go to Siam because of the doctor. He went there because of the nurse.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is what i meant ..... statement. ....................... no wonder most of them behave like shit in bangkok.

Aiyah, which nationality hasn't misbehaved in bkk?:biggrin:

That's why they need to come back for the medical treatment?:eek:

Cheers!

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
you go at your own peril. come back with all sorts of complications. worse spend more and more. singapore is still world class medical hub. don't be fooled by cheap cheap medical treatment overseas. better to to china much cheaper. but come back with all sorts of nonsense. if you're unlucky, you don't wake up at all. so stay well and stay healthy.if possible, don't go to hospital.die die at home.be prepared. remember hospitals are commercial enterprises out to make money from the sick and the suffering. you go in and pray hard you come out alive! more so in other countries which offer cheap cheap medical care. don't believe? go and see for yourself.

singapore medical healthcare is still the best in the world.:biggrin:

I dun think you have done any medical treatment or dental care in these countries before.

After i had shown my middle finger to sinkies, i have never visited a singapore dentist for the past 5 years, all is done in bangkok.
The price has risen from 400 bhat to 620 bhat, still cheap for cleaning and polishing. This dentist i go to is within the Thai neighbourhood area.

I even brought my mum and aunt to this same dental clinic and they commented that the dentist is very responsible and his advices and comments are professional. Before going for the treatment, he will tell them the pros and cons of having this treatment and what migh happen after that, then let my mum and aunt to decide if they still wanna go ahead with it.

They didn't think of getting more money but for the best of the patients' dental care. I see such unsinkified behavior daily in bangkok, why the hell would i think of settle down in sinkieland.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<After i had shown my middle finger to sinkies,>>

sure or not?? tonypussy talking big huh..

show middle finger?? u dare meh?? u dun even have balls in the 1st place..

chey..

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
...They didn't think of getting more money but for the best of the patients' dental care. I see such unsinkified behavior daily in bangkok, why the hell would i think of settle down in sinkieland.

good for you lah...if you need a by pass heart surgery or some sophisticated life threatening surgery like brain operation ( touch wood ) do you prefer to be done here in sinkiepore or in bangkok?

good for you anyway.

take care.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For those high tech operation i am not sure. I didnt reach that stage yet but if i am near old age which is many years later, then i will research, maybe by then bangkok has surpassed SG in technology and advancement and sinkieland still continue its sinkie ways, who knows.

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
good for you lah...if you need a by pass heart surgery or some sophisticated life threatening surgery like brain operation ( touch wood ) do you prefer to be done here in sinkiepore or in bangkok?

good for you anyway.

take care.

tinyweeneychat needs to do a lot of stuff

1) balls transplant

2) shit removal from brain

3) weeny enlargement