• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore sense of Innovation!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only in Singapore that we can't find time to change.

One uniform for classroom and PE at Hong Wen

Ong Dai Lin

[email protected]

PHYSICAL education classes just got easier for Primary 3 pupil Tan Hui Yi — thanks to a new school uniform.
“I don’t like to change in and out of my school uniform when there are PE lessons. It’s very troublesome,” the nine-year-old from Hong Wen School said.
Those days are over though for Hui Yi and her school mates at the Special Assistance Plan school as it now has a uniform that can be used for PE classes as well.
Beige in colour, it is made from Dri-Fit material to ensure that the uniform will dry fast after PE lessons. The top incorporates a mandarin collar and a cheongsam button for a traditional touch. Boys wear brown shorts while the girls wear brown culottes — shorts shaped to look like a skirt.
“Sometimes lessons are disrupted because students have to queue up in the toilets to change and that eats into lessons times,” Mr Ngoh Choon Ho, Hong Wen’s principal, told Today.
“The younger students in lower primary sometimes forget and ... leave their uniforms lying around after they change out of it.”
Since the start of last year, the school had allowed students to wear PE attire throughout the day on days when they had such classes. But that resulted in a lack of uniformity in the school, said Mr Ngoh.
In designing the new uniform, discussions were held with teachers, parents and alumni. Students were also asked to try on prototypes.
Mr Ngoh said: “It is also more convenient for parents as they don’t have to remember which days their child is having PE lessons and prepare the attire for them.”
Due to a delay from its uniform supplier, only about 400 to 500 students are now wearing the new uniform.
The rest of the school’s 1,300-strong population will switch over in a year’s time.

Ong Dai Lin

[email protected]

jw5

Loyal
Did you use to wear your pe kit under your school uniform in primary and secondary school? :smile:

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did you use to wear your pe kit under your school uniform in primary and secondary school? :smile:

Hohoho during my time primary school only PE kit guys wore were PE T-shirts!

In secondary School both sexes wore them inside. During PE the girls would just strip into their PE attire at one corner. Life was great then :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hohoho during my time primary school only PE kit guys wore were PE T-shirts!

In secondary School both sexes wore them inside. During PE the girls would just strip into their PE attire at one corner. Life was great then :biggrin:

Basically a no brainer. Imagine making a song and dance about this.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know how it is lah. School just wants publicity and look good with MOE. Old saying empty barrel makes the most noise. :biggrin:
I bet the principal will put it down as an achievement in his year end appraisal. Quantity continues to prevail over quality.

I know a Head of Dept, who put the effort to put up a proposal on water based synthetic hockey pitch for a neighbourhood school - Teck Whye Secondary. I heard that people laughed. I too laughed. Well he got his pitch within the year and graced it by having opening game with a South African touring school team.

And it did not make it to the papers. Then again, Teck Whye is not a SAP school, is it?

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eeeew, saves time but at the expense of smelling like wet dogs on a humid day! Can students even be comfortable AFTER the PE class in these clothes- dri-fit or not.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think this is not an important issue. having time or don't have the time to change into PE shirt.
Exactly - its such a minor and absolutely trivial matter that made the papers.

Many school have adopted dri-fit for PE top. Its also lot cooler in our hot humid weather. Most schools leave it to the kids if they want to change back to school unform or remain in their dri-fit for the day.

PE is one lesson in a week. That single lesson has now determined the school uniform for the rest of year and the near future.

Maybe its a good idea to have 2 sessions of school per day so that kids only attend school on alternate days. That way, transport costs, time, and washing of uniforms can be saved.

The point is to acknowledge material and meaningful changes that brings quality to life.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technology is no substitute for personal hygiene

I can't imagine the stench of a classroom-full of drying children

What next? Dirt resistant uniforms which only need washing once a month? Nutritional pills to substitute recesses?

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technology is no substitute for personal hygiene

I can't imagine the stench of a classroom-full of drying children

What next? Dirt resistant uniforms which only need washing once a month? Nutritional pills to substitute recesses?

How come no one questioned the cost for the existing students in these trying economic times? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
exactly, imagine you are in Pri 6 and have to fork out money to get these moronic PE attire for one year...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
exactly, imagine you are in Pri 6 and have to fork out money to get these moronic PE attire for one year...
It appears that the parents who already bought the previous uniform for this year must have expressed their displeasure. He told the reporter that due to supply problem, the rest of school will only get their dri-fit uniform in a year's time.

Imagine in this time of recession, the bloody factory can't produce dr-fit uniforms until next year.

Looks like even school principals are beginning to lie.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems how funny it is when such a trivial issue becomes more important than the issue of obesity, which is getting serious in all schools, regardless of elite SAP schools or neighbourhood ones.

If you ask me, I hope students are getting enough exercise after classes are over. Because if people just clamp up and study day in and day out and don't take care of themselves physically, it'd be hard to adapt to NS life once you are out of secondary school and poly.

Most students who are obese at a young age will likely fall short in their results and in life growth compared to thin, fit ones. So obesity is an issue that principals should tackle. Its all well and nice that they have this sort of uniforms, but if they are mostly fat and under-performing, then its of no or little use.