• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Covid : AMDK continued to test positive for 34 days after being symptom-free

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
The curious case of SG Covid-19 patient who continued to test positive for 34 days after being symptom-free

Charles Pignal was finally discharged on April 12 after 5 weeks of testing positive despite feeling better

AUTHOR
Anna Maria Romero
DATE
April 15, 2020
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...ositive-for-34-days-after-being-symptom-free/

Singapore—One of the things the world is learning about the novel coronavirus that has gone on to infect people in 177 countries all over the world is that the disease, Covid-19, presents itself differently in different people. Additionally, people’s recovery experiences are quite different as well. Some recover quickly, have two successive negative tests, and are discharged from hospital. Others feel better after a few days, but continue to shed the virus and must remain in isolation.

One patient in Singapore got sick while overseas, tested positive for the coronavirus, then got better to the point of becoming symptom-free, but continued to test positive for Covid-19 over five weeks after feeling better.

Charles Pignal, who is French but lives in Singapore, documented his coronavirus experience on his Instagram account, which he usually uses for reviewing books. Mr Pignal is the great-grandson of the founder of shoe brand Bata.

According to his Instagram account, he believes he was infected early last month during a trip to London. He flew home to Singapore in early March and was the passenger who tested positive on a Turkish Airlines flight that had to be flown back to Istanbul empty, as its crew and passengers needed to be placed under quarantine after Mr Pignal’s confirmed diagnosis. He is Case 113 on the MOH website.

On March 7, In his first video on Instagram where he talks about having fallen ill, he apologized to Turkish Airlines and its crew for this.

By his next video the following day, Mr Pignal said he was feeling absolutely fine and no longer had symptoms of Covid-19.

Mr Pignal, who was admitted to the NCID, said that the symptoms he had experienced were “headaches, mild fever, a slight (dry) cough and generally feeling weak.”

On March 10 he was feeling upbeat, writing, “We’re definitely at the tail-end of this thing. Im feeling absolutely fine, but I’m still testing positive on my daily nose swabs and they won’t let me leave until I test negative twice in a row…. it’s just a waiting game now.”

By March 15, he was no longer getting any medication, “except tea”. He was feeling fine, and yet, as he wrote, “The Brain Tickler: Everyday I get a little rod right up to the top of my nose (both nostrils) to detect the coronavirus. And every day, the previous day’s test comes back positive.”

On March 19 he said in his video update that he had been told that the fitter patients are, the longer the virus stays in their bodies. And so, while he said he felt great, he did not know when he could go home.

To pass the time while he was waiting to be discharged, Mr Pignal gave interviews about his case, and answered people’s questions about the disease.

On March 24, day 20 for him, he still tested positive. However, on the same day, his roommate tested negative and was possibly going home. He also said that he was being moved to another facility to make room for people who were more ill. He was unhappy that at the new facility patients would only be tested twice a week, as opposed to daily, which would possibly extend his stay.

By Day 23 (Mar 26), Mr Pignal finally tested negative for the virus. All he needed at that point was one more negative test and he would get the all-clear to come home, although he had been warned by his doctors that there was a 50 percent chance he could test negative again.

On the same day, he received another positive test result.

By March 28 he was still testing positive, but he was moved to “The Resort,” as he called it. And while he appreciated the accommodations there, he said that he was longing to come home to his fiancee.

To pass the time, he continued to do online book reviews. He wrote, “I FINALLY finish the Densest Book of All Times” and talked about Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Brothers Karamazov. At this point, Mr Pignal was being tested every four days, and if he tested negative, he would be given another test the following day to determine if he could go home.

On April 8 he reported that he had yet another false negative on the 35th day of his isolation. He had gotten one negative test, followed by a positive one, and called his experience a lesson in humility and patience.

Finally, on April 12, Mr Pignal said he was coming home. He had gotten two successive negative tests for Covid-19. He thanked his viewers and followers online, saying he would take a break at that point from the coronavirus updates, to make room for more relevant voices to do so, although he would continue with his book reviews. —/TISG

A Singaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking cheeby apologised to Turkish Airlines and crew but to Sinkies for all the trouble he caused. CCB. Get him out as soon as he can sit on a wheel chair.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This shows just how mild the infection is in most people and there is no reason to be unduly worried.

There are many more just like him who are walking around with zero symptoms despite the fact that they are infected and this is what makes this whole lockdown exercise pretty futile.

We should just exercise common sense and allow everyone to get back to earning a living.

The only people who need to be cared for are the old folk. All efforts should be aimed at keeping the virus from infecting the 65+. The rest of the country should go back to work.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Fucking cheeby apologised to Turkish Airlines and crew but to Sinkies for all the trouble he caused. CCB. Get him out as soon as he can sit on a wheel chair.

He does not need a wheelchair because he is not sick. That's why I keep emphasising the fact that the majority of those who test positive are symptom free.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are these old ppl in the age care homes not dead when they have been exposed to the virus? If soo deadly etc there would be no resident left?

Coronavirus cases confirmed in 17 nursing homes in Australia — here's what we know
The lodge with a green courtyard
PHOTO Five residents of Dorothy Henderson Lodge who were diagnosed with coronavirus have died. SUPPLIED: BAPTISTCARE
There have now been 41 residents and staff in 17 nursing homes diagnosed with COVID-19, the Federal Department of Health says.

The numbers obtained exclusively by the ABC were updated on Thursday afternoon.

The figures show a rise by seven residents and staff and four affected nursing homes over the previous two days.

Aged care facilities in all Australian states have recorded infections, but there are no cases in Northern Territory or ACT nursing homes.

Annie Butler from the Australian Nurses and Midwifery Federation said governments should make it easier to find out which homes had recorded coronavirus infections.

"The people who need to know are all the people who are involved in that particular facility, the staff definitely have a right to know, the family have a right to know," she said.

The ABC has been working to confirm whether there are any nursing homes which had recorded infections that were not yet public.

Based on the figures provided by the Department of Health, there are 10 facilities that have not been named.

State health departments told the ABC they do not disclose the names of nursing homes that have recorded only one coronavirus infection.

Here are the states' tallies based on what we know so far.

NSW: 30 cases in 7 facilities
The highest number of infections out of one facility is well known: BaptistCare's Dorothy Henderson Lodge in Sydney has had 16 residents and five staff in total with confirmed cases of COVID-19, with seven others who had contact with them also infected. Five residents have died.

One other cluster of cases in New South Wales, confirmed by the state's Department of Health, is at Opal Bankstown, with two residents and two staff infected.

The residents are in hospital and the workers are in self-isolation at home under medical advice, a spokeswoman for Opal says.

One resident at Opal Quakers Hill, which is also in Sydney, was confirmed positive on March 22, but had since returned two negative tests last week, the spokeswoman said.

Opal said no other homes had recorded cases.

NSW Health confirmed there were four more cases in four different homes in the state but did not disclose the names of facilities with single incidents.

"In these cases, there was concluded to be no ongoing health risk to other residents," a NSW Health spokesperson said.

"NSW Health is supporting the affected facilities in various ways, including providing clinical advice, tracing close contacts of the cases, and case management through the Public Health Units of local health districts."

Victoria: 2 cases in 2 facilities
On March 30, it was revealed a carer at a north-eastern Melbourne facility tested positive five days after working with aged care residents.

The Assisi Age Care centre at Rosanna sent an email to families saying the staffer had not shown symptoms until two days after her last shift at the home.

Assisi chief executive officer Paul Cohen told the ABC the residents who came into contact with the staff member had all been tested, with all results negative so far.

The staffer was "doing well", Mr Cohen said.

He said Assisi was monitoring residents, doing additional cleaning, temperature testing and had stopped all family visits.

"We are working with the department to source additional PPE [personal protective equipment]. Supplies are a challenge for our sector and globally, but we do have sufficient stocks for the time being," he said.

In another case in Melbourne, a visiting GP to Australian Unity facility Rathdowne Place tested positive to COVID-19.

Australian Unity told the ABC the GP was only onsite at the Carlton facility for two hours and had "minimal contact with our residents and employees".

One employee was self-isolating at home as a precautionary measure, and the home was given advice that people who had contact with the doctor "have an extremely low risk of transmission".

"The Public Health Unit also advised us that residents and employees will not require testing given the lack of close contact and as no-one is showing symptoms," the spokesperson said.

"However, as an additional precautionary measure, we are monitoring the temperatures of all residents and employees as they commence their shifts, and we have added extra cleaning for the next few days, when it is more likely symptoms would show. "

WA: 1 case in 1 facility
The only coronavirus case recorded in a West Australian nursing home was a casual worker at the Aegis Ascot Transition Facility in Bayswater who had recently travelled to Hawaii.

After the case was confirmed, the Perth facility was locked down and residents put in quarantine for two weeks. There have been no new cases reported.

SA: 1 case in 1 facility
St Louis Aged Care in Adelaide confirmed a coronavirus case on March 20, with the facility saying the worker was asymptomatic when he came in contact with residents on his last shifts.

A statement from the facility at the time of the announcement said residents weren't showing symptoms, but would be closely monitored, with other staff in close contact with the infected worker placed in isolation for 14 days.

Queensland and Tasmania: unconfirmed cases
The Federal Department of Health reported the overall number of cases and homes implicated, and said Queensland and Tasmania had homes with infections.

Queensland Health said none of the 16 government-run aged care facilities had recorded cases of COVID-19, which means the case or cases have come from a private provider.

The department said it would not provide data for facilities it did not operate.

The Tasmanian Department of Health also did not confirm any cases in the state.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
This shows just how mild the infection is in most people and there is no reason to be unduly worried.

There are many more just like him who are walking around with zero symptoms despite the fact that they are infected and this is what makes this whole lockdown exercise pretty futile.

We should just exercise common sense and allow everyone to get back to earning a living.

The only people who need to be cared for are the old folk. All efforts should be aimed at keeping the virus from infecting the 65+. The rest of the country should go back to work.
You may be right. I could be one of them walking around with mild symptoms. For the past month or so, I've been having a slight sore throat, a heavy head on some mornings when I wake up. Had diarrhea for the most part of last week. My normal temp is 36.5-36.7. But it registers 37.1-37.2 on some days.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

A lot of folks are still working from home. Plenty of pictures of folks who have the hashtag #WFH plastered all over Instagram :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
You may be right. I could be one of them walking around with mild symptoms. For the past month or so, I've been having a slight sore throat, a heavy head on some mornings when I wake up. Had diarrhea for the most part of last week. My normal temp is 36.5-36.7. But it registers 37.1-37.2 on some days.

Good grief! I could be COVIDed too! Had a bout of fever in early March, coupled with a bit of a cough, no runny nose but stools a bit runny.

I thought it was the belacan kangkong too pedas... alamak...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

I had the same way back in January after having lunch with a friend who works at the airport at the time when Chinese tourists were still flocking in.

My symptoms lasted for about 5 days and then went away and have not returned.

Once antibody testing is widely available I'm going to get myself tested.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Good grief! I could be COVIDed too! Had a bout of fever in early March, coupled with a bit of a cough, no runny nose but stools a bit runny.

I thought it was the belacan kangkong too pedas... alamak...
I think you tio-ed liao since the virus is everywhere. I thought it was the spicy KFC that caused the issue, but now I reckon it's not.

In any case, welcome to the club! :biggrin:

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I had the same way back in January after having lunch with a friend who works at the airport at the time when Chinese tourists were still flocking in.

My symptoms lasted for about 5 days and then went away and have not returned.

Once antibody testing is widely available I'm going to get myself tested.
I think they have home antibody test kits now. But not sure if they are reliable.

https://www.t3.com/au/news/coronavirus-home-test-kits-when-theyll-be-on-sale-where-to-buy-and-more
Coronavirus home test kits: Everything you need to know

Thousands of coronavirus home test kits were due to be sold in Boots and delivered by Amazon. Here's all the details

The UK goverment planned to issue millions of coronavirus home test kits to determine if you've got coronavirus, and recovered from it, in just 15 minutes. These would have (and still may) be available from retailers such as Boots and Amazon in the very near future, according to a director of Public Health England (PHE).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ng-kits-could-be-unreliable-uk-scientists-say
Coronavirus 'game changer' testing kits could be unreliable, UK scientists say

Boris Johnson said the antibody home testing kits could be a ‘game changer’. Photograph: Bloomberg/Bloomberg via Getty Images

The huge stock of 17.5m antibody home testing kits ordered by the government after Boris Johnson said they could be a “game changer” could in fact be unreliable, scientists have said, saying that they may fail to detect up to half of coronavirus cases.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I think they have home antibody test kits now. But not sure if they are reliable.

https://www.t3.com/au/news/coronavirus-home-test-kits-when-theyll-be-on-sale-where-to-buy-and-more
Coronavirus home test kits: Everything you need to know

Thousands of coronavirus home test kits were due to be sold in Boots and delivered by Amazon. Here's all the details

The UK goverment planned to issue millions of coronavirus home test kits to determine if you've got coronavirus, and recovered from it, in just 15 minutes. These would have (and still may) be available from retailers such as Boots and Amazon in the very near future, according to a director of Public Health England (PHE).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ng-kits-could-be-unreliable-uk-scientists-say
Coronavirus 'game changer' testing kits could be unreliable, UK scientists say

Boris Johnson said the antibody home testing kits could be a ‘game changer’. Photograph: Bloomberg/Bloomberg via Getty Images

The huge stock of 17.5m antibody home testing kits ordered by the government after Boris Johnson said they could be a “game changer” could in fact be unreliable, scientists have said, saying that they may fail to detect up to half of coronavirus cases.

Most of the current reports indicate that these kits have not be properly tested. While they work for detecting Covid-19 antibodies other past coronavirus infections can also result in a positive test.

The whole world is waiting for a test kit that is selective enough to exclude the rest of the corona family.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal