• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singanews - Reporting "Mainstream Value"

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
if they have wanted to pretend they won't have held it in a church and the fact that they did not *siam* TNP interview shows that they are up front with their xtians cred...some people are just xtians bashers just as they are many keling bashers...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If they have no intention to pretend, then why deny the christian agenda?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least they bash Christians and Keiling openly, unlike some Christians who pretend to be holy but sucking money from the young and old to built huge churches, drives big cars and stays in landed property (as written in the newspaper, Victor Ho is one of the Directors of an investment company,Bright Arrow, which is 40% owned by COOS. I wonder if the profit will back back to the church for its event? Who is paying for Victor's directorship if the company is not doing well? The church goers?). The Christain kept on using the verses from the bibles to strike the fear of God onto their believers so that they would do thing to the leaders' bidding.

You see, if you want to portray yourself to be holy and righteous, make sure you dun get caught for simple thing like lying. Just like what happened during AWARE.

i think the worst of the lots are both christians and keling bashers...:biggrin:

Now back to Singanews (looking at the newspaper article), I do not think they could have pretended to be non-Christians, as it would be found out sooner or later (They must have learnt a good lesson from the AWARE saga:biggrin:). But to say that they are totally truthful and that their report would be secular? That is highly unlikely.

1) They get funds from Christians community (meanings Christian give finanical support, when the need requires, the report will sway to the Christians) meaning their reporting can never be just. You dun bite the hands that feed you right?

2) Victor Ho initial defensive reaction means he afraid to say something that would affect the group (especially so if he is linked to COOS and we know the previous AWARE take-over by them failed and therefore this could be 2nd try?). If the portal is transparent and no hidden agends, there is not need for such reaction from Victor Ho.

3) If Singanews would be fair and just in whatever they do, then why not disclose their donor list, unless the main donors are of questionable characters?

4) In their interview, they already indicated clearly that they're anti-gays. So how not to be judgmental in their reporting?

5) The non-Christians in the group are simply there to make the group appear more balance. So far, I only see 2 non-Christians which is unlikely to make any diff. In any case, who knows after a few months when the portal is stablised, the non-Christians would leave due to some "differences".

if they have wanted to pretend they won't have held it in a church and the fact that they did not *siam* TNP interview shows that they are up front with their xtians cred...some people are just xtians bashers just as they are many keling bashers...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You might want to read what Yap said. Was the interview held at the Church?

There is absolutely no issues for religious and secular organisations to have an agenda, advance it to protect their interest and make the world a better place. At the end of the day, some arguments and agenda will carry substance and some will not. There will be some level of compromise but usually the majority in society would have significant influence. Occasionally the strenght and brilliance of an argument put forth by a minority might carry the day and the majority will yield.

What society and rational individuals do to accept is deception, intended ambiquity to confuse and mislead and dishonesty.

As I said, do read Yap's comments. I was very surprised that he took such a position.

Last edited:

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://thevoiddeck.org/?p=568

Yap took the opportunity to introduce the editorial board of Singanews. Teo Hwee Nak, who is a Christian and former journalist with TODAY, CNA and Lianhe Zaobao. PN Balji, a Hindu, renowned journalist, former MediaCorp Editor and presenter for CNA. Jeffrey Tsang, former Business Times journalist. Samuel Wong, who was in-charge of Mandarin news and Hiliary Chan, a techie and Malaysian staying in Malacca. Also mentioned but not present was “Wen Hong” and former The New Paper sports journalist Suresh Nair, a Hindu.

These are what I managed to find about some of the reporters...see any links?

PN Balji - Oh..he is a Hindu? He was the one that interviewed Josie Lau on the AWARE. He is pro-Thio throughout the whole saga. That is why someone commented any he was so diplomatic during the interview. http://akikonomu.blogspot.com/2009/04/aware-civil-society-primer.html
http://temasekreview.com/?p=8033

Jeffrey Tsang - He is also a writer for The Saviour Times which is a magazine by COOS. The same church where Thio Su-Mein is in.
http://www.coos.org.sg/saviourtimes/ST2005/ST_2005JulSep.pdf (See page 6)

Samuel Wong - Not sure if this is the same Samuel Wong but if it is, he is from the Pastor from Cornerstone Church in charge of Mandarin Affairs.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Samuel-Wong/529597383

scratchballs

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least they bash Christians and Keiling openly, unlike some Christians who pretend to be holy but sucking money from the young and old to built huge churches, drives big cars and stays in landed property (as written in the newspaper, Victor Ho is one of the Directors of an investment company,Bright Arrow, which is 40% owned by COOS. I wonder if the profit will back back to the church for its event? Who is paying for Victor's directorship if the company is not doing well? The church goers?). The Christain kept on using the verses from the bibles to strike the fear of God onto their believers so that they would do thing to the leaders' bidding.

You see, if you want to portray yourself to be holy and righteous, make sure you dun get caught for simple thing like lying. Just like what happened during AWARE.

Now back to Singanews (looking at the newspaper article), I do not think they could have pretended to be non-Christians, as it would be found out sooner or later (They must have learnt a good lesson from the AWARE saga:biggrin:). But to say that they are totally truthful and that their report would be secular? That is highly unlikely.

1) They get funds from Christians community (meanings Christian give finanical support, when the need requires, the report will sway to the Christians) meaning their reporting can never be just. You dun bite the hands that feed you right?

2) Victor Ho initial defensive reaction means he afraid to say something that would affect the group (especially so if he is linked to COOS and we know the previous AWARE take-over by them failed and therefore this could be 2nd try?). If the portal is transparent and no hidden agends, there is not need for such reaction from Victor Ho.

3) If Singanews would be fair and just in whatever they do, then why not disclose their donor list, unless the main donors are of questionable characters?

4) In their interview, they already indicated clearly that they're anti-gays. So how not to be judgmental in their reporting?

5) The non-Christians in the group are simply there to make the group appear more balance. So far, I only see 2 non-Christians which is unlikely to make any diff. In any case, who knows after a few months when the portal is stablised, the non-Christians would leave due to some "differences".

Bro Marrick, there is nothing wrong with newspapers/media having an agenda...many countries are like that from Truly Asia to even America...link to political parties or religious camps...(even within the xtians sects and clans also sibeh luan)...

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT THEY ARE UPFRONT ABOUT IT AND APPARENTLY here is SING-HOLY-NEWS still try and slime and hide behind the secular screen

ONly with the donors' list then the situation would be clearer...

Btw...ali baba tactic Truly Asia also give up already, they welcome non-bumi liao...wonder how long those non-xtian will last

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
But they not upfront about it leh.

They insist they have no christian agenda so your argument that its ok to have an agenda is weak. Just like during the Aware sage.

The new exco insist they dont know each other and asked to be given a chance. Then later the Feminist Mentor appear and say she had coordinated the whole thing.

So lets take a bet on how long before Singanews admit they have an agenda and stop being so wishy washy.

Bro Marrick, there is nothing wrong with newspapers/media having an agenda...many countries are like that from Truly Asia to even America...link to political parties or religious camps...(even within the xtians sects and clans also sibeh luan)...

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT THEY ARE UPFRONT ABOUT IT AND APPARENTLY here is SING-HOLY-NEWS still try and slime and hide behind the secular screen

ONly with the donors' list then the situation would be clearer...

Btw...ali baba tactic Truly Asia also give up already, they welcome non-bumi liao...wonder how long those non-xtian will last

orientalfix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some xtian agenda in the media mix is good for spore...look at the increase of HIV/AIDS, STDs amongst youths, pri skool students experimenting with sex and faggots or kids dressing like faggots even when they are not, all over the F shop...:eek:

Not say that they cannot exist at all but they are being condone openly...this country needs some decency...more views = more democracy what...

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
WE didn't had these problem until the youths started to embrace Western culture and behaviour. It is around the same time where many embrace Christianity here too? In any case, any religion also can do the job, not just Christianity. More importantly, it is the failure of the parents in educating the kids, religion only play a supporting role here by inflicting moral judgement.

Some xtian agenda in the media mix is good for spore...look at the increase of HIV/AIDS, STDs amongst youths, pri skool students experimenting with sex and faggots or kids dressing like faggots even when they are not, all over the F shop...:eek:

Not say that they cannot exist at all but they are being condone openly...this country needs some decency...more views = more democracy what...

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one will know if he is serving God or Satan until judgement day comes. However, you can roughly assess it from the person's way of doing things. God's people will work with love and care, whereas Satan's workers will work by deception and lies.

And we all know who was caught lying during the AWARE saga.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop asking God for things like a spoiled brat.

with men, many things are impossible, just ask any civil servants in govt. depts...

with God, anything is possible, but according to His will for you....

so if you think that's His will for you, just make contact,

He'll make it happen man!

That's true POWER!!!!

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since it was God's will that they fail in the AWARE bid. Why are they still going against HIS will?

with men, many things are impossible, just ask any civil servants in govt. depts...

with God, anything is possible, but according to His will for you....

so if you think that's His will for you, just make contact,

He'll make it happen man!

That's true POWER!!!!

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroobal

As a charismatic evangelical xtian myself, ok albeit anot very devout as I have stopped church going for sometime due to business and work, I have chosen to listen to some of what COOS has been preaching on its website.

Firstly Pastor Hong and I suspect his flock does not get it. His message to his congregation in his sermons was , " Submit to authority" as long as they do not "cross your conscience or beliefs." His message to his congregation was that they were being attacked for their beliefs by those groups with a political agenda. and that they should stick by them :_)). He was unapologetic for his beliefs even when chided by prominent senior clergy who suggested he repent and etc and chose to give some what misleading examples.

No one is persecuting him for his beliefs, everyone is criticizing him for how these beliefs are being delivered.

1. He gave examples of xtian persecution in Nigeria and suggested that the attacks on the in Singapore were equivalent. Firstly those people in Nigeria in their wisdom were preaching a xtian God in Muslim areas. I hardly rate the response of liberals and secularist alike to the AWARE issue as equivalent.

2. He gave the example of Dianel who was forced but refused to bow down to foreign gods. Who in the world is forcing Pastor Hong to bow down in front of a foreign god, or to worship a gay one ? Liberals would say Pastor Hong is free to well worship his god and errr muslims their, and errr ditto buddhists, and if a more gay accepting and tolerant community is equivalent to forcing him to worship a foreign god, then he should have his head examined.

3. He has to accept that mainstream value's arguments etc work when 55% of American's are church going and evangelical. He really really needs to look closer at the demographics in Singapore.

4. The problem I suspect is that if they approach other religions with an upfront. I am from COOS lets unite only ard this any gay and pro family platform, being evangelical and everything else, other religions would not touch them or work with them even with a 10 foot stick. because they know very well what other beliefs come after pro family, and anti gay.

5. Hence ultra defensiveness, response of Matthew Yap and answers which annoy the hell out of intelligent readers

Locke

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I look at it this way. If non-Christians are trying to tempt Christians into unChristian practices like homosexuality, then the churches and Christian organisations should do something, and be entitled to their say. However, if it's churches and christian organisations trying to to whip the secular society in line with Christian values and practices, then I'd say that it's out of line, interfering with and imposing on other's personal and social lives. That's the impression that they're projecting now.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am getting the picture now. Teaching clearly is wayward. I think he is being encouraged by his more influential followers. I won't be surprised like Cornerstone in Marine Parade they will go independent.

Dear Scroobal

As a charismatic evangelical xtian myself, ok albeit anot very devout as I have stopped church going for sometime due to business and work, I have chosen to listen to some of what COOS has been preaching on its website.

Firstly Pastor Hong and I suspect his flock does not get it. His message to his congregation in his sermons was , " Submit to authority" as long as they do not "cross your conscience or beliefs." His message to his congregation was that they were being attacked for their beliefs by those groups with a political agenda. and that they should stick by them :_)). He was unapologetic for his beliefs even when chided by prominent senior clergy who suggested he repent and etc and chose to give some what misleading examples.

No one is persecuting him for his beliefs, everyone is criticizing him for how these beliefs are being delivered.

1. He gave examples of xtian persecution in Nigeria and suggested that the attacks on the in Singapore were equivalent. Firstly those people in Nigeria in their wisdom were preaching a xtian God in Muslim areas. I hardly rate the response of liberals and secularist alike to the AWARE issue as equivalent.

2. He gave the example of Dianel who was forced but refused to bow down to foreign gods. Who in the world is forcing Pastor Hong to bow down in front of a foreign god, or to worship a gay one ? Liberals would say Pastor Hong is free to well worship his god and errr muslims their, and errr ditto buddhists, and if a more gay accepting and tolerant community is equivalent to forcing him to worship a foreign god, then he should have his head examined.

3. He has to accept that mainstream value's arguments etc work when 55% of American's are church going and evangelical. He really really needs to look closer at the demographics in Singapore.

4. The problem I suspect is that if they approach other religions with an upfront. I am from COOS lets unite only ard this any gay and pro family platform, being evangelical and everything else, other religions would not touch them or work with them even with a 10 foot stick. because they know very well what other beliefs come after pro family, and anti gay.

5. Hence ultra defensiveness, response of Matthew Yap and answers which annoy the hell out of intelligent readers

Locke

SotongMee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please don't trouble God, it would become the second coming of the Messiah.

With the advancement in medicine,virgins can get pregnant without divine intervention these days.

being childless is not a sin...

if you want a child ask God...

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with your comments.

I look at it this way. If non-Christians are trying to tempt Christians into unChristian practices like homosexuality, then the churches and Christian organisations should do something, and be entitled to their say. However, if it's churches and christian organisations trying to to whip the secular society in line with Christian values and practices, then I'd say that it's out of line, interfering with and imposing on other's personal and social lives. That's the impression that they're projecting now.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weaklings will continue to ask GOD for simple things without trying. If everyone do this, GOD will definitely have less work:

When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me ... and I got it!

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
pic37.jpg

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
That was what the Christian AWARE tried to do previously. Stole it from others and later ask for forgiveness (during their prayer) but I suppose GOD did not forgive them so kenna badly and embarrass their religion, employer, family and maybe even friends.

Weaklings will continue to ask GOD for simple things without trying. If everyone do this, GOD will definitely have less work:

When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me ... and I got it!