• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shanmugam: We respect Indian FTs rights to speak Indian dialects here in SG

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
>> Asked why the Government also 'encourages' the speaking of Indian dialects here, he said it was not that the Government encourages it, but that the Government is hard put to stop new immigrants from India from practising their culture.

Noting that many are top talent whom Singapore cannot afford to turn away, he said: 'Can we tell them they can't speak their language? It's their birthright. There must be tolerance.'

What about Chinese ah? Then how cum we cannot speak teochew, Hailum, cantonese, hokkien, hakka etc and must speak Mandarin ah?

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since when were we stop from speaking dialect, I speak teochew to my mother, hokkiento my hawker and cantonese to my wifey