• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

setting up a asian grocery store

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
thinking of setting up a asian grocery store in central qld. As the nearest such store is 300k away from where i'm in,thinking it might be a good idea. Any inputs are welcome.Thanks:smile:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thinking of setting up a asian grocery store in central qld. As the nearest such store is 300k away from where i'm in,thinking it might be a good idea. Any inputs are welcome.Thanks:smile:

follow the 99 ranch franchise model. it is extremely successful in the sf bay area. three of the main reasons are: one, huge asian base in the area wanting live seafood and imported ingredients; two, supply chain and distribution channels are well established with critical mass and economies of scale; three, very tight connections with customs and very good at import clearance processing.

fwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I help my friend run an asian grocery shop in Melbourne before I landed back my professional job.

My input is as close as it can get.

1. You can make money BUT
2. It will be long hours
3. The money you make is just enough for you and your family plus your worker salary because man power are expensive. If you want a work balance life, then you have to sacrifices your profit to pay workers to man for you and you need RELIABLE workers who do not take away your stores stuff and money.
4. Most of your profit will be pour back to your goods because you want to keep cash flow positive. Because the profit are based on volume and you make about 30% from the good sold to you from the supplier.
5. You have to keep good inventory of goods cos goods has an expiry date and some goods cannot be returned back to supplier and hence it has to be thrown away and that will eat into your profit.

To get an idea how much you will make,

For eg an imported maggie noddle is 0.40 cents and you sell $0.70. You made $0.30 but that profit is not for you alone. It goes to rental, electric bills, worker salary, tax etc. In the end, you make about 15 cents and so you have to sell a lot for volume.

Generally, shop are good for family business and you can pass to your children to man your shop. In general, if you want a salary for yourself from your shop, you can estimate about $2K to $3K a month.

Last edited:

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
how much is required to open shuch a shop?

btw is it possible to get a job in oz by going through one of their trade skill training course?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how much is required to open shuch a shop?

btw is it possible to get a job in oz by going through one of their trade skill training course?

Supermarkets West (now FoodWorks) can be quite flexible about having an independent asian supermarket carrying its brand. It is worth exploring.

Look at this website for possible franchising opportunity, http://www.ownafoodworks.com.au/

see this link: Farmer Jacks Nguyen Phat
http://tannicteeth.com/tag/nguyen-phat/

(Supermarket West's trading Name is Farmer Jacks)

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal

vassily

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the replies, was in rocky last weekend and saw the asian shop run by a vietnamese family.bussiness was so good,cars keep coming in non stop.
i guess the return for such long hours are not too good(3K/mth). getting 4k for a 8.30 to 5 job now with weekend off.Will think of other options.:rolleyes:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks neddy, also is there a posiible way to get a job in oz by taking a trade course there?

it depends on whether you can get a visa to stay & work in Aus. Things have changed/student visa rules tightened because of past abuse of the visa schemes by asians. So, you may want to check with http:\\www.immi.gov.au.

But in Australia, attending a trade school is a good way to land yourself a job, esp if you are after engineering, etc.

In TAFE or Institute of Technology, you will see job opportunities ads as well as employers visiting the schools for graduate interviews.

http://wa.gov.au/governmentservices/educationtraining/training/

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
it depends on whether you can get a visa to stay & work in Aus. Things have changed/student visa rules tightened because of past abuse of the visa schemes by asians. So, you may want to check with http:\\www.immi.gov.au.

But in Australia, attending a trade school is a good way to land yourself a job, esp if you are after engineering, etc.

In TAFE or Institute of Technology, you will see job opportunities ads as well as employers visiting the schools for graduate interviews.

http://wa.gov.au/governmentservices/educationtraining/training/

is there any form of discrimintation against asians since the current financial crisis?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
is there any form of discrimintation against asians since the current financial crisis?

if you mean open racism, no.
you will be really unlucky to find one, unless you happen to wonder into a bogan territory.

don't forget, we skipped the financial crisis, thanks in a large part to china.

there will always be very subtle discrimination around, whether it is angmos with asians, angmos with their fellow angmos, asians with asians. but that should not affect your daily living.

i think asians need to be assertive. frankly speaking, the angmos can be quite dumb, so we should not bully them. :biggrin:

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
if you mean open racism, no.
you will be really unlucky to find one, unless you happen to wonder into a bogan territory.

don't forget, we skipped the financial crisis, thanks in a large part to china.

there will always be very subtle discrimination around, whether it is angmos with asians, angmos with their fellow angmos, asians with asians. but that should not affect your daily living.

i think asians need to be assertive. frankly speaking, the angmos can be quite dumb, so we should not bully them. :biggrin:

i was actually looking at agricultural (plants or animals) and engineering. too much too look or pick from

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the replies, was in rocky last weekend and saw the asian shop run by a vietnamese family.bussiness was so good,cars keep coming in non stop.
i guess the return for such long hours are not too good(3K/mth). getting 4k for a 8.30 to 5 job now with weekend off.Will think of other options.:rolleyes:

There are some hidden benefits, you fail to foresee..
1) Cash & flexibilty
2) Tax and rebate
3) Job security and contuinity of business

I have a Bro is US is on a semi-retire mode. he has a Drive-in food business. He works 5hrs per week, collecting $$$$ while his workers provided the sweat. 8-5 job is not any better.. unless you earn big dollars ie CEO.