• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sent out resumes by the hundred but there were no replies at all. Jobs for FTrash!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Charging ahead with new career
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_JOBFC.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Mr Wong believes his service will be in demand amid the downturn. .. PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->For one man, the pink slip was not a letter of doom but the push to start anew.
Former IT engineer Marcus Woo saw the warning signs of retrenchment looming as early as a year ago. So, when he was laid off in late March, he was mentally prepared to move on.
Last month, within a fortnight of losing his job, the 49-year-old set up his own laptop battery reconditioning business with a partner. He sank in $12,000 to buy the necessary equipment.
'I had sent out resumes by the hundred but there were no replies at all. I didn't want to sit down and wallow in self-pity wondering why this or why that,' he said.

'If I show my family that I am down and troubled, this will only create more stress for them.'
He is married with two children in their early teens. His wife is a babysitter.
He believes that his business, which will be fully operational later this month, will be popular in the current economic climate.
Instead of buying new and expensive replacement batteries for their laptops which can cost about $100, users can opt to recondition them for just $40, said Mr Woo.
New laptop batteries have about two hours' capacity before they need to be recharged but this ability dwindles to as little as 15 minutes over the years.
Mr Woo is confident that after he has reconditioned a battery, it can last for six more months while providing about 90 minutes of power between charges.
'In a downturn, companies will be looking to cut costs and such a service will definitely be helpful to them. It's environmentally friendly too,' he said.
He has already started advertising his service in online classifieds.
His business partner, delivery driver Derrick Tan, 33, will pick up and deliver the batteries while he will handle the IT operations. He hopes to expand into providing IT services and importing mini-notebooks. 'I can't see myself going to food courts to clear plates and wipe tables. IT is still my niche, this is a permanent thing for me and I am confident that I can do it,' he said.

th_thumbnail-Singapore20Prime20ministe.jpg

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Sent out resumes by the hundred but there were no replies at all. Jobs for FTrash

He looks older than his 49 year old.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Sent out resumes by the hundred but there were no replies at all. Jobs for FTrash

Setting up a business is always a good idea at times like this. Which is why having savings, whether to start a small business or to tide one over this period of tough time, is critical.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

49 looks like 60.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal

Because he is bald and fat, both signs of old age. Youth is associated with full head of hair and fit body.

Of course he's unemployable. My >55 year old boss and colleagues look 10 years younger than him.