• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Self-Righteous Lee Wei Ling Strikes Again

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many important lessons on life come not from textbooks but from real people
By Lee Wei Ling, for the Sunday Times (21 Dec 2008)

ST link

In 1983, I was training as a neurology resident at Massachusetts General Hospital, the premier Harvard-affiliated hospital that some termed ‘Man’s Greatest Hospital’.

This was where the rich and powerful came to seek medical treatment. It was where Dr Henry Kissinger, for instance, had the triple heart bypass that saved his life.

I was doing a six-month posting in the neurophysiology laboratory. By sending small electric shocks down nerves and inserting needles into muscles, we could try to figure out the health of the nerve cells supplying various muscles as well as of the muscles themselves.

My patient one morning in summer was a businessman who owned a shoe factory in New Hampshire. He came with a note from his neurologist that said he had ‘progressive bulbar palsy’, a variant of Lou Gehrig’s disease in which the first and dominant symptoms relate to weakness of the muscles of the jaw, face, tongue, pharynx and larynx.

The tests of the nerves and muscles in the rest of his body were fine, and the final test was to put a fine needle in his tongue. I had never done this before, so I asked a senior colleague to supervise me.

The electrical activity picked up by the needle confirmed the dreaded diagnosis. I told the patient that a report would be sent to his neurologist. Then, as he changed from the hospital gown into his street clothing, he asked me where I was from. I replied that I was Dr Lee and that I was from Singapore.

‘You are Lee Kuan Yew’s daughter,’ he said.

I was dumbfounded and asked: ‘How do you know?’

‘I didn’t know,’ he replied. ‘I have heard of Singapore and of Lee Kuan Yew and meant it as a joke. So you are Lee Kuan Yew’s daughter! I am Jo.’

It turned out that Jo’s daughter was considering studying political science at the National University of Singapore (NUS) and was in correspondence with the NUS admissions office.

Jo invited me to his home in rural New Hampshire. I accepted because I intuitively trusted this man, who I knew would soon be told of his death sentence.

During autumn two months later, when New Hampshire’s fall colours would be at their peak of loveliness, he drove down to Boston to pick me up for the four-hour drive to his home.

By now, he knew what he was facing. There was calm acceptance and he was putting his business in order so that his family would be financially secure when he passed on.

His speech was slurred and I had to concentrate to make out what he was saying. He had to make an effort to try to pronounce his words as clearly as he could.

We went hiking on the hills near his home. I won’t even try to describe the magnificent scenery of the autumn foliage. It has been captured on many canvases as well as calendars.

Once, we came upon a paddock where someone probably kept his horse(s) during summers. Jo told me a joke attributed to Ronald Reagan about how two people reacted when they found a paddock empty with only horse dung in it.

The first said: ‘Dammit! The horse has escaped.’ The second said: ‘The horse dung is still wet, the horse must still be close by.’

Jo did not say more than that, but tacitly I knew he was taking the second attitude. He would face his predicament as positively as he could. I respected him for his courage.

The next time he invited me was in winter when we went cross-country skiing. Although his speech was even more slurred on this occasion, his body was still strong and he out-skied me because he was a more experienced skier.

On Sunday morning, the family was going to church and asked me to go along. I did not have any appropriate attire for church, but Jo told me: ‘God does not care how you are dressed.’

So there I was, a scruffy non-believer, attending mass with the Catholic family that I was spending a weekend with. I wondered whether Jo drew his strength from his religion, but speaking was such an effort for him now that I did not ask.

The last time I saw him was when he was admitted for an operation to put a tube through the abdominal wall into his stomach. He could neither speak nor swallow on this occasion. He looked emaciated but he was still alert and cheerful when I visited him.

Soon after, I returned to Singapore after undergoing three years of training in neurology. A few months later, I received a card from Jo’s daughter informing me of her father’s demise.

Many of the most important lessons that I have learnt about life and how to live it have come from my patients. Jo was my first teacher in a subject that cannot be taught through lectures, tutorials and textbooks.

I may have no choice in the misfortunes that life chooses to inflict on me. But I do have a choice in responding to those misfortunes positively or negatively. To a certain degree, my happiness is within my control. That is an easy lesson to preach but difficult to practise.

More than once over the last 25 years, I have been faced with nasty circumstances beyond my control. Twenty-five years on, I am better at accepting adversity and trying my best despite them. I am still trying to do so every day.

Perhaps if this philosophy of life had more believers, we would have less of the whining that Singaporeans are prone to, less misery and a more positive outlook towards all of life’s situations no matter how adverse they may be.

Finally, learning should not be too tightly linked to formal academic institutions. Instead, it is a lifelong process that occurs in all spheres of life. Every encounter, positive or negative, is a possible lesson if we analyse it deeply.

Jo taught me something that ‘Man’s Greatest Hospital’ didn’t.

# The writer is director of the National Neuroscience Institute. This is the first of a regular column in Think.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also know how to talk cock. Here goes.

"No money buy makan? Eat cake then. Be positive. "

"No money go online at home? Buy a notebook and go shopping mall to surf net. Be positive."

"Unemployed? No income? Go upgrade. Or learn to fish, go jungle pick wild fruits and berries. Be positive."

Last edited:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
What kind of suffering she has went through ? Again , by writing an article and critising singaporean complain too much ....... is she comparing apple with apple ?

The problem she solve cannot be solve by money alone ? She is on another level already !

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Difference : LWL is more academic, Sumiko Tan is more bitchy !
Similarity : They are OLD AND SINGLE !

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many important lessons on life come not from textbooks but from real people
By Lee Wei Ling, for the Sunday Times (21 Dec 2008)
ST link

can anybody know Lee Wei Ling please ask her to use "I" less frequently in her future articles or not?
it's making her sound like a narcissistic lau CB.

Perhaps if this philosophy of life had more believers, we would have less of the whining that Singaporeans are prone to, less misery and a more positive outlook towards all of life’s situations no matter how adverse they may be.

i wonder if his daddy policies are the real causes of making sinkaporeans feeling misery and negative outlook in life....and future still doesn't look encouraging especially when he is still so strong and still messing around with spore affairs at the age of 85 years old....which supposely to be way past our official retirement age...

Last edited:

ccchia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is LWL trying to contradict her daddy? All along we did not link learning to academic institutions and fancy degrees.

It was her daddy and the PAppies who were always putting such emphasis in comparing paper qualifications whenever they wanted to shoot down anyone that was in the opposition or non-PAPpy.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
can't stand this woman ... on the surface, she seems different from her family, but actually she is of the same ilk ...

in one of her earlier articles, she mentioned she wanted to be a vet since young bcos of her love for animals ... but her daddy warned her not to, since vets who took PSC scholarship had to be bonded to work 7 years at the abbatoir ... so she chose medicine instead ...

what the hell ? :mad:

if she had a passion to help animals, she could forego the scholarship (after all, her family is not poor, an understatement i know) ... & study vet science without a scholarship ... but want to howlian with a scholarship yet afraid of hard work (abbatoir work) ... so forego her dream ... what a jerk ... typical pragmatic sinkee with no passion & no heart & no character ...

her 2nd article ... the old guy asked her jokingly 'your surname Lee so u must be LKY daughter' ... it was so corny ... had goosebumps when i read ... so dumb ... :mad:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe she is just trying to paint a more positive picture of her family. That they are not all MONSTERS!

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lky-081b168cd7.jpg

"Sorry my daughter cannot make me lose face so i have to decide for her.. in other words i dictate 'EVERYTHING' " hehehe...

Knife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did anyone read Dr Lee Wei Ling's highly inspirational column about suffering in Sunday Times recently? Working in Toronto alone, suffering while trying to figure out how to cook a fish all by herself, while commenting how the young nowadays do not suffer enough like she did? Respect.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Did anyone read Dr Lee Wei Ling's highly inspirational column about suffering in Sunday Times recently? Working in Toronto alone, suffering while trying to figure out how to cook a fish all by herself, while commenting how the young nowadays do not suffer enough like she did? Respect.

This is what the rich, pampered and out of touched called sufering.
Didn't she know that in kampong LKY there are young people who could not afford to cook fish.

Knife

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what the rich, pampered and out of touched called sufering.
Didn't she know that in kampong LKY there are young people who could not afford to cook fish.

It is amazing given that she is a doctor, plus her age, she would have seen enough of Singapore (for her case, the world, since she travels around so much) to know that her 'suffering' is so superficial. In fact I don't think it can be considered a 'suffering'. How many people in this world would kill to go through her 'suffering'. I do not want to sound big-headed but I feel that I, along with many people of my age, has a better grasp of what suffering is about, either through personal experience or observation.

It is alright to vent out frustrations from time to time. To publish these views in a national newspaper, however, indicates that one really believes he/she is really suffering, and believes his/her life is a good example of suffering.

If suffering were to mean:

1) You are working in Toronto when your birthplace is Singapore
2) You can eat fish
3) You can cook the fish, and poke it here and there to see if it is cooked well enough
4) You are the daughter of the most famous man in Singapore and who was also its first Prime Minister

I would love to suffer my whole life.

Knife

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is suffering?

Suffering is working 18 hours a day collecting cardbox boxes. Suffering is sleeping on benches in the rain. Suffering is scrimping and enduring humilation to feed yourself and family. Suffering is having your bones eating away by cancer, because you do not have money to treat it.

Suffering is not living in Toronto trying to cook fish to get your daily dose of protein.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is suffering?

Suffering is working 18 hours a day collecting cardbox boxes. Suffering is sleeping on benches in the rain. Suffering is scrimping and enduring humilation to feed yourself and family. Suffering is having your bones eating away by cancer, because you do not have money to treat it.

Suffering is not living in Toronto trying to cook fish to get your daily dose of protein.

despite all these, there's a way out of this suffering...

a simple cure, is to know Jesus.....

after that, even though you are doing all the above, you will still peace and joy.....

how powerful is that?