• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SAF adds a new rank: Senior Lt-Col

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

He said: 'At the same time, they can still be rewarded for the more complex roles that come with their job.'

This says it all.

This 700sqkm of peesai; it doesn't even send peacekeeping forces abroad. More Complex Roles?

How complex? Por lampar using your tongue to lick both balls and shoes at the same time?

Open car door for the president, pull out the chair for him to sit down and maybe wipe his ass for him.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The nomenclature you referred to are mainly appointments, not ranks. Please visit the following site to have a look at China's military ranks.

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=2673

Also, neither China nor Russia has 'Senior Lieutenant Colonel's - they have Senior Colonels (for officers who will never make General but whose contributions need to be recognised).

Interestingly, the Chinese name for SC is 'Da Xiao' which doesn't sound very good among a Hokkien Chinese population.

You got the ranks from a chess army chess game?
I was told it was something like this.

工兵 - Soldier (Other ranks) this 工兵 also combat engineer
排长 - Platoon Commander (the PC) LTA
连长 - Company Commander (the OC) Captain
团长 - Battlion Commander (the CO) - Major
师长 - Divisional Commander - LTC
旅长 - Colonel - COL
军长 - Brigadier -BG
将军 - General - General
司令 - Marshal - Chief of Staff Top Army man

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is ridiculous.

Can't the people see that PAP is buying the military to continue supporting them and hopefully should something happen they have military support.

I've been in the army and I know for sure we all do fuck off most of the time. Three-quarters of regulars will not make it in the commercial jungle. Thats how bad they are. Professionalism? Its all a show.

Still people vote for them. Man....how many reasons are they giving me to give up on this country?

Whats4

Alfrescian
Loyal
The nomenclature you referred to are mainly appointments, not ranks. Please visit the following site to have a look at China's military ranks.

http://www.uniforminsignia.net/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=2673

Also, neither China nor Russia has 'Senior Lieutenant Colonel's - they have Senior Colonels (for officers who will never make General but whose contributions need to be recognised).

Interestingly, the Chinese name for SC is 'Da Xiao' which doesn't sound very good among a Hokkien Chinese population.

a chincong 2lt already got stars while others must die die wait until bg then get their stars. the chincong is really above others? :confused:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks, SotongMee and HTOLAS. My version of the rank equivalents are chit chat hearsay from a PRC girl. :biggrin:

Perhaps your versions make more sense. :smile:

DerekDear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many SAF scholars parachuting in as Colonels so that they have to stop other non-scholars from filling up that rank too fast??? So serve as speed bump for non-scholars and they have to hentak kaki to let these white horses pass!

Senior Lt-COL = Condemned Lt-COL

:oIo:

:oIo:

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
1-3.jpg

Talking about rank and position, can SAF beats me?

Let me list out my position to you all.

From PM to SM; from SM to MM; from MM to FM; from FM to VM.

Let me explain to you what the short terms is all about?

PM = Prime Minister
SM = Senior Minister
MM = Mentor Minister
FM = Forever Minister
VM = Vampire Minister

And as each position I moved down, my wages are getting more and bigger, as the 'M' not also represent Minister; it also represent Money too!

:biggrin:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many generals and not enough Temasek GLCs for them... so must hentah kaki a few at this rank first.

As far as I know, this is the only ex-military man who has proven himself in the corporate world

japanese_kfc_colonel_sanders_1.jpg

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
Too many generals and not enough Temasek GLCs for them... so must hentah kaki a few at this rank first.

As far as I know, this is the only ex-military man who has proven himself in the corporate world

lets all salute to this true colonel while munching down one of his burgers.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
1-3.jpg

Talking about rank and position, can SAF beats me?

Let me list out my position to you all.

From PM to SM; from SM to MM; from MM to FM; from FM to VM.

Let me explain to you what the short terms is all about?

PM = Prime Minister
SM = Senior Minister
MM = Mentor Minister
FM = Forever Minister
VM = Vampire Minister

And as each position I moved down, my wages are getting more and bigger, as the 'M' not also represent Minister; it also represent Money too!

:biggrin:

MM = MINISTER MENTOR LA

FM = VM coz vampires also forever leh and vampire minister sounds like a minister for vampires leh...can brainstorm better positions or not

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
The old Chinese military ranks (c. 1911-49) are simple and interesting:

工兵 - Private
排长 - Corporal
连长 - Sergeant
团长 - Captain
师长 - Major
旅长 - Colonel
军长 - Brigadier
将军 - General
司令 - Marshal

These are just approximated equavilents. Though the ranks seem few for such a huge army (easily into the millions during the height of WW2 and ROC/PRC civil war), each of the lower ranks could be split into 1st class, 2nd class etc. and each of the high ranks could be supplemented by deputies, assistants etc.

工兵 is engineer, 步兵 is infantry. according to the chess I used to play, infantry triumphs over engineer but engineer is the only one that triumphs over minefield (地雷). Can't really say NS is useless, at least it gave me a practical dimension to all those terms. However, after NS, I can't figure out how an old commander-in-chief (总司令) can triump over the enemy infantry in face-to-face combat (triumph over his own infantry makes sense but the enemy one?), probably the peng-kia got dazzled by the stars on the epaulettes reflecting off sunlight. :biggrin:

Btw, I think 排长 is platoon commander, 连长 is company commander, 营长 is battalion commander, 团长 is brigade commander, 旅长 is division commander, 师长 is Chief of Staff or something (bigger than 旅长), 军长 is Chief of Army (or Air Force/Navy Chief) and 总司令 would be the Chief of Armed Forces. There are no pieces for platoon sergeant (班长?) or section commander (队长?). Goes to show that if your rank is not on your shoulders, you are considered peasants. In Singapore's context, if you can't make full colonel, you probably can't advance past battalion commander.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

He is a Kentucky Colonel, not a colonel of any army. The title is about as useful as the Duke of Hougang. Interesting Elvis Presley's conman manager was a kentucky colonel too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_colonel

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
工兵 is engineer, 步兵 is infantry. according to the chess I used to play, infantry triumphs over engineer but engineer is the only one that triumphs over minefield (地雷). Can't really say NS is useless, at least it gave me a practical dimension to all those terms. However, after NS, I can't figure out how an old commander-in-chief (总司令) can triump over the enemy infantry in face-to-face combat (triumph over his own infantry makes sense but the enemy one?), probably the peng-kia got dazzled by the stars on the epaulettes reflecting off sunlight. :biggrin:

Btw, I think 排长 is platoon commander, 连长 is company commander, 营长 is battalion commander, 团长 is brigade commander, 旅长 is division commander, 师长 is Chief of Staff or something (bigger than 旅长), 军长 is Chief of Army (or Air Force/Navy Chief) and 总司令 would be the Chief of Armed Forces. There are no pieces for platoon sergeant (班长?) or section commander (队长?). Goes to show that if your rank is not on your shoulders, you are considered peasants. In Singapore's context, if you can't make full colonel, you probably can't advance past battalion commander.

团长-Regimental Commander (not in use anymore i think)
旅长 - Brigade Commander
师长 - Division Commander
参谋长 - Chief of Staff

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha.. reminds me of the 军棋 we played in primary school.. remember the wooden then plastic versions? Wonder if kids today know this ? :confused::biggrin:

The old Chinese military ranks (c. 1911-49) are simple and interesting:

工兵 - Private
排长 - Corporal
连长 - Sergeant
团长 - Captain
师长 - Major
旅长 - Colonel
军长 - Brigadier
将军 - General
司令 - Marshal

These are just approximated equavilents. Though the ranks seem few for such a huge army (easily into the millions during the height of WW2 and ROC/PRC civil war), each of the lower ranks could be split into 1st class, 2nd class etc. and each of the high ranks could be supplemented by deputies, assistants etc.