• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rising Cost of Living in SG - PAP's Fault?

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
zhihau said:
bro,
thank you for pointing this out :smile::smile::smile:
now me wondering if it would be viable when night soil collected at the NEWater plants be made use of... :eek::eek::eek:

Nowadays, technology is so freely available to everyone, it is not a matter of can or cannot but whether you want to or not. Singapore has never set the objective of being self-sufficient in food. Is there lately a change? Incidentally what happens to the waste from Newater? Use as fuel or thrown away?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Incidentally what happens to the waste from Newater? Use as fuel or thrown away?

when the farms were cleared as early as the 70s, it was set in stone that we wouldn't be self sufficient in crop produce.
don't think there's a change in the direction, but me see a lot more sky gardens around, so just toss up this idea of roof top farming. don't think this is an original idea as HK got people farming bees for honey :smile::smile::smile:
as of the shit from the NEWater plant, me haven't the faintest idea where those shit went, but was only linking fertiliser issue with shit, damn... me starting to sprout rubbish now, very much like a pile of shit :p:p:p

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro,

one pertinent question: is China moving into the direction of mechanising her agricultural practices?
as more PRC folks moved into developing & developed cities to work, the farms had to be tended, the soil be turned. lots of ripples to be felt :smile::smile::smile:

I have to answer this in a different perspective.China did not face a similar problem as India or US in farming sectors.Because communism already took away the land ownership from the people....this is the real issue in India and even in US where farming lands passed from fathers to sons.Particularly in India where generations of farming families held on to small plots of lands.But China have a very limited arable land but plenty of people to farm it.Contrasted with US where abundant of arable land existed but with a limited supply of farming society.Hence it was far easy for US to mechanize it's farming community.

But subsisting in small farmlands had become intolerable in the past three decades.More small scale farmers commits suicide than ever before in the entire history.It is even worse now because of climate changes.Hence farmers been migrating to the cities all the time.Not so much because being displaced by farming mechanization.This applies both to China and India except for US.....since US has far more arable lands and it has to mechanize because of limited labor.And Hispanics from S.America are usually engaged as farm hands in US...mostly illegally.

Lately in 1984 China introduced the Family Production Responsibility System.Sort of a reverse from communistic commune system to family owned farms.China also liberalized its centralized marketing and pricing mechanism.However China is still a nett importer of some grains such as soya beans.Hence China is still experimenting; such as the Governor’s Grain Bag Responsibility System. Under which provincial governors are held responsible for balancing grain supply and demand and stabilizing grain prices in their provinces.

The gist is poor farmers are moving towards cities simply because farming is no longer a survival proposition.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
What is your question...can you please spell it out.

my sincere apologies.
with 7 billion folks & growing, limited arable land with depleting resources, looming food shortage issue. how long are we able to keep our economy strong enough to enjoy our meals in peace :o:o:o

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
my sincere apologies.
with 7 billion folks & growing, limited arable land with depleting resources, looming food shortage issue. how long are we able to keep our economy strong enough to enjoy our meals in peace :o:o:o

It is possible.So says history.

Because man were hunters like any other animals.And our survival and by that extension our procreation would have been limited to what the land can so far provide.But the moment we became farmers from hunters we survived better than animals....and when wet farming gave way to slash and burning--it seeded all civilizations.

Hence the question how to turn non arable lands to arable lands and double or triple the yields from the same piece of land.Again man had mastered it's environment.Israelis had proven so.Perhaps,it may shock some folks here.But Isrreal has a cutting edge in farming and horticulture technology.For example,all our tomatoes comes from cameron highlands...and it's rather cheap compared to US or Europe.The average yield of tomatoes is between 60 tons to 100 tons per hectare.But Israelis had achieved almost 800 tons of tomatoes with a hectare.Mind you minus the soil and climate advantage which Malaysia enjoys.

You may ask why cannot India or China follows suit.....but it's no so simple.Because of the social order and the political will.Farms are still a touchy political hot potato.

Science and innovations will save the day.Some days in future even our high seas can be harverstable.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when the farms were cleared as early as the 70s, it was set in stone that we wouldn't be self sufficient in crop produce.
don't think there's a change in the direction, but me see a lot more sky gardens around, so just toss up this idea of roof top farming. don't think this is an original idea as HK got people farming bees for honey :smile::smile::smile:
as of the shit from the NEWater plant, me haven't the faintest idea where those shit went, but was only linking fertiliser issue with shit, damn... me starting to sprout rubbish now, very much like a pile of shit :p:p:p
2 in one reply. First, with the top ten VOCs by WHO, infiltrating into our body and shit, not to forget hormones, you do not really want night soil to be
a source of bioaccumulation for such toxins that make men grow breasts that do not lactate and dickies growing into infertile vaginas. Of course, the chances are small, but monitoring to feel safe is important. The nightsoil needs to be tendered with loving care for our important microorganisms who turn the stuff in nightsoil aka shit into bioavailable nutrients for plants and finally to us humans. Unfortunately, microorganisms are more fickle and touchy creatures than the likes of YOG man and Zorro of the PAP, and you do not treat them right, they die on you. Worst investment in pets.

Part of total defence is self-sufficiency. Their stupid calculation is to store imported foods as the sense of self-sufficiency. Problem with that kind of shit with super indefinite lifespan is eating that will be detrimental to the population, making Singaporeans more stupid than what LKY deems us as to IQ of vegetables. Feeding that kind of shit to SAF grunts is fine as SAF grunts are not deemed to have a life expectancy greater than 72 hours. People slaves live unfortunately live 420000 hours of slave useful life. Feeding them that kind of stuff worse than the doggie biscuit crap will mean, that LKY and the PM will have to import into Singapore, exceeding the already 36% that could lead Singapore to fly the red flag of PRC, 3 strip flag of India or our friendly Filipino neighbours, while the establishment figures how to matrix mine us worthless slaves to zilch. So having good agriculture in Singapore is worth it. And logistics make it cheap and worthwhile to have it fresh in Singapore from Singapore.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is possible.So says history.

Science and innovations will save the day.Some days in future even our high seas can be harverstable.

Actually if we go by slavedriver institution WHO and look at world food production and calorific demand(lowest Matrix slave requirement) of 7 billion, we should have a fucking oversupply.Absolute supply not a problem. Timely available supply is the issue. Logistics is governed by crude oil to deliver your food to you. And there international politics or greed and corruption comes to play.
Ask Uncle Bigfuck. I make better common sense and strategic-cum-tactical sense than fake defence and international policy schools and think tanks.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
then my question remains: how long can we hold out :eek::eek::eek:
I define what you mean (to my whims and fancy) as eating shit food that makes Singaporean devolved into an amoeba? Not very long. We need legal infrastructure and minimal food pricing to prevent unscrupulous food sellers in Singapore in slowly poisoning Singaporeans. Singapore ill needs another second Opium addiction.