• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rip DVD/VCD to avi?

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking to rip my collection of DVDs and VCDs into .avi format for portability.

What is the best software available in the market today?

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal

Linux is the best & even works for silly MS. One line command is powerful to do lots of things.:wink:

ffmpeg -i DVD_movie.vob -b 900k -vcodec libxvid -s 640x480 -r 23.976 -aspect 4:3 -ab 128k -ar 48000 -async 48000 -ac 2 -acodec libmp3lame -threads 3 -f avi -g 300 -bf 2 DVD.mov.avi</pre>

ffmpeg -i DVD.VIDEO.1.vob -qscale 7 -vcodec libxvid -s 640x360 -r 23.976 -aspect 16:9 -ab 128k -ar 48000 -async 48000 -ac 2 -acodec libmp3lame -f avi -g 300 -bf 2 mov.2.avi</pre>
http://ffmpeg.org/

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
handbrake is the one you are looking for. seriously still using ffmpeg ? why not use dos 6.1

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

From vob to avi. Classic method is to Google for video converters but beware of phishing sites and malware. And you'll be downgrading the quality and size of the movies to make them compact.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to rip dvds from rented dvd movies but i didn't convert them into another file format but rather shrunk them into single layer dvd if the dvd was from a Dl dvd and most hollywood movies are DL dvds. I used dvd decrypter now called imgburn and dvd shrink to reduce the size. If i want to convert to avi file now i would use wonder share ultimate converter.

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

You can even duplicate a copywrong protected DVD without using the disk to disk copy from burners like Nero but don't expect your duplicate DVD to work the same as the original. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imageburn which used to be called dvd decrytper was able to break dvd protection a long time ago thru brute force and some other method. Dvd copy protection isn't that hard to crack.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
imageburn which used to be called dvd decrytper was able to break dvd protection a long time ago thru brute force and some other method. Dvd copy protection isn't that hard to crack.

Dumbfuck Jah, you sure or not? But then you are an Indian, so must have loads of brain power!

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

VideoLAN, the all-in-one video player, is also a competent video format converter and DVD ripper.
It's a free software, it's easy to use, and it is cross-platform (works on Windows, Mac or Linux)

http://www.videolan.org

Once you have installed it, go to Media > Open Disc..., and the rest should be easy to figure out.

CheesePie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No need to go to that extent of decryption. I just need to use my mouse! WTF :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: