• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ridiculous and misleading article on NRIC

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even without an NRIC or any form of identification, the guy will still be get the emergency travel document to fly and the time for that is the same. All he has to do is provide details to verify his identity and complete an interview - name, DOB etc. Most people carry a photocopy of their passport for emergencies. The photocopy of the passport compared to the IC is more useful to foreign immigration and custom officers.

Seriously not sure how he came to the conclusion and why TISG carried this article.

http://theindependent.sg/how-the-nric-helped-a-singaporean-from-being-stranded-overseas/How the NRIC helped a Singaporean from being stranded overseas
By The Independent - September 9, 2016 2023

By: Jackie Rai

A lot of travelers think that it is not important to take their NRIC (local identification document) with them when they travel overseas. They think that it is not necessary as the NRIC is not recognised in a foreign country and that only their passports will serve as an identification document overseas. I had that notion too – until I lost my passport at the Stuttgart airport in Germany recently.

I really don’t know how I lost it, but when I opened my bag, I could not find it anywhere. Of course I panicked, for without the passport I could not prove my identity to fly out of the airport.

But thank goodness that I had my Singapore NRIC with me. No, the immigration officers did not allow me to board my plane because I had the NRIC. But it helped me gain an emergency travel document from the Singapore consulate in Stuttgart.

The airport officials were quite helpful and provided me the numbers to the Singapore consulate in the Stuttgart. And all I had to do was take 2 passport sized photos and present my NRIC to the consulate officers to get my emergency travel document to fly out of the country.

I had to miss my flight and had to pay a little bit more to get on the next available flight out of the country, but my predicament would have been much worse if I had not had my NRIC with me. It would have been a real hassle to prove that I am a Singaporean to the consulate in the country.

So, here is my helpful advise to the many travelers who fly out of Singapore – bring your NRIC with you when you go overseas. You will never know when you will need it.

And here are some other tips from the Singapore Consular office for travelers:

What can our Consular Officer assist in?

Provide you with information, advice and consular assistance.
Issue you with an emergency travel document if you have lost your Singapore passport overseas.
Note: It is an Immigration requirement that you report the loss of your passport to the local police and furnish our Mission with a copy of this report.
Contact your relatives or friends to request them to send you emergency funds for your repatriation or other necessary emergency expenses.
Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are injured abroad.
Notify your next-of-kin in the event you are arrested or detained abroad.
Visit a Singapore citizen who has been arrested or imprisoned abroad and monitor that due process under the judicial system of that country is accorded to him or her.
Help to obtain a list of officially registered local lawyers and translation services, where this is available.
Help in arranging for the remains and personal belongings of a deceased Singaporean to be returned to Singapore.
Help you during emergencies such as natural disasters or civil disorder in the foreign country.
What can our Consular Officer not assist in?

Pay your medical, hospital, legal, accommodation, travel or other bills.
Provide loans or cash your cheques.
Post bails or pay fines on your behalf.
Intervene in the judicial process of a foreign country or ignore local laws.
Intervene in or act as an intermediary in disputes which are of a civil or commercial nature.
Provide legal advice or initiate court proceedings on your behalf.
Act as your guarantor or sponsor.
Arrange for your accommodation or for your employment.
Provide translation, mail-forwarding, telephone, fax/telex or other personal services

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
@ scroobal

One of the little birds from the West told me the following and I believe it because it has the relevant experience and hence the authority to speak on the below subject:

1. Sinkieland's diplomatic missions are a front for the elite and civil serpents to wine and dine in luxury hotels and restaurants on Sinkie taxpayers' expense. Under the guise of cultivating relationships--be they cultural, diplomatic, economic or trade--they invite useless people of their host countries to wine and dine in luxury. The Sinkie diplomat(s) who host the ultra-expensive meals will usually write a report to justify why such and such people are invited. Usually the report(s) contain bullshit. The expenses incurred at such establishments are then charged to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. According to the warped policy of your Sinkie gabrament, Sinkie diplomats have to be like sales people: they have to meet a monthly quota of people of the host countries whose relationships they need to cultivate. Obviously it's not the Sinkie diplomats' fault.

IMHO the most useless Sinkie diplomatic mission is the Permanent Rep to the UN. Your cuntry is just a city-state, a little red dot on the world map. I'm confounded as to why it needs to have a diplomatic mission in the UN. Proportionally when comparison the size of this mission, it's also the most wasteful, spending Sinkie taxpayers' funds like there's no tomorrow. In terms of achievements, what notable achievements are there?

2. If you're in a foreign country and you need a replacement for your Sinkie passport, assuming that you don't have dual citizenship, the Sinkie diplomatic mission is the only place where you can get one. It takes about a week for the mission to issue you a replacement. On the other hand if you have dual citizenship like US or Japanese, it's far easier and quicker to get a replacement if you approach the American or Japanese embassies or consulates.

3. If you're in a foreign country and you're totally penniless, your passport and return air tickets lost because of a robbery or extortion or whatever crime, may Allah/Yahweh/Jehovah/Jesus/Buddha help you if you think the Sinkie diplomatic mission can be of any help. Sure the latter will help you obtain a replacement passport if you can stump up the 60 or 70 SGD replacement fee. But wait, you're penniless, remember? Because you're a victim of a crime. Your best bet is to approach a church or charitable organization of your host country to borrow the 60 or 70 SGD. If you think that the Sinkie diplomatic mission will lend you the 60/70 SGD or even waive it, you're deluding yourself.

4. Suppose you've lost all your money and passport as a result of being a victim of some crime. You go to the nearest Sinkie diplomatic mission to borrow money to buy return air ticket. Do you know what your Sinkie diplomatic staff will tell you? They suggest that you get in touch with your family in Sinkieland and buy the return air ticket for you. While waiting for your replacement passport to arrive at the Sinkie embassy or consulate which can take up to a week, you need some pocket money to buy food and a place to stay, right? Do you think the Sinkie diplomatic mission will lend you the money for it? As the Sinkie (Hokkien) saying goes, "you can wait long long".

You're more likely to get food and shelter if you approach a church-run or charitable organization of your host country.

5. In scenarios (3) and (4), I assume you've only Sinkie citizenship. The little bird from the West also me that if you're stranded in a foreign country without money or passport and you can prove that you're an American or Japanese citizen, you'll be able to borrow money from the respective embassy/consulate, no questions asked. In this area, I was told that the Japanese diplomatic missions perform much better than their American counterparts.

Summary: If you're not a member of Familee or related to Familee or to natural aristocrats, you're out of luck if you're stranded penniless and without a passport in a foreign country. Sinkie diplomatic missions will help you with getting a replacement passport but how do you get one when you don't even have 60/70 SGD to pay?

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
NRIC also allow MFA officer to vrtify and access your CPF account,penniless?deduct from Ordinary account, then special account, lastly,medisave.

Will Dr. Chee be rendered such prompt services?