• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Require long-term PRs to take up citizenship

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Require long-term PRs to take up citizenship
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to the letters by Mr Eduard Tay ('Permanent residents - Why are these Phase 2C children given an equal chance in Primary 1 registration?', last Thursday), Mrs Sweta Agarwal ('Primary 1 places - We too have a right to give our children the best education', last Friday) and Mr Jimmy Loke ('The PR difference', last Saturday).
I agree with Mrs Agarwal for the most part, but she should understand that citizenship comes with its privileges. I am sure that in her own country, she would expect no less from the government.
She should also understand that good schools are but one of the many benefits offered by Singapore, and that her decision to live here should not be determined solely on the premise of getting places in good schools for her children.
Mr Loke indicates that Mr Tay's child does not have the option of going elsewhere to find a good school. Singaporeans today can emigrate to many countries around the world because of Singapore's good reputation. And many have.
To the question asked by Mr Loke on why Mrs Agarwal has not taken up citizenship, I have this suggestion: Require all permanent residents (PRs) who have lived here for 10 years or more to apply for citizenship, and remove some or all privileges accorded to them should they fail to do so. This forces PRs to think carefully about whether they feel they belong in Singapore.
Anecdotally, I have found that PRs who have lived here for five years or more tend to stay, as within that timeframe they would have sunk their roots here - perhaps they have married a Singaporean, their children are reluctant to leave, they have taken loans that are not easily settled, or they have simply grown to like the country.
The reasons that bring people from other countries to Singapore are the same reasons that make Singaporeans leave for other countries.
So perhaps in determining how Singapore treats its PRs, Singaporeans should consider how they would like to be treated if they were PRs in another country. And in seeking benefits, perhaps Singapore PRs should consider what sort of benefits they would accord to PRs in their own countries.
Such an approach may significantly narrow the gap in expectations between citizens and PRs.
Edwin Han

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>You can't complain about the disadvantages which you don't know; this is happening in Singapore.
All disadvantageous that our NS Men suffers unknowingly are 'secrets'.
Let us all unit and publicise all disadvantages in public Discussion Boards, STOMP, etc.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: AbolishNSabolishNS at Tue Aug 18 13:51:44 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=AlternatePost cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Many other countries also adopt very open policies that allow foreigners into their country and workforce. But the difference between they way they have gone about it versus the way Singapore has gone about it is this- They are very clear about their priorities. They welcome foreigners but their citizens will always enjoy certain privileges and advantages over foreigners. For eg. before any company can hire a foreigner, they need to prove that they have taken the necessary measures to try and fill the position locally. Only then are they allowed to hire a foreigner. In Singapore, citizens and foreigners compete for jobs on a equal footing. Singaporean males may even be disadvantaged compared to their foreign counterparts because of their annual "downtime" due to their reservist obligations.

Insufficient births and the lack of local talent are but lame excuses.

And always remember this- many of these foreigners still hold on to the citizenship of their home country. So they will always have the option of abandoning Singapore when times go bad. Wouldn't we be such fools then?
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: trofeotrofeo at Tue Aug 18 13:46:04 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>I am a citizen, I feel that PR also pays the same tax as everybody else, why do they not enjoy the same benefit. I do agree that whoever chose to live in singapore should abide by our laws, rules and way of life. But having a different treatment or rules for them may not be the solution.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: sdd20122 at Tue Aug 18 13:39:01 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=AlternatePost cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>I had many foreigner colleagues in the past years; who enjoy 12 mths of driving on Singapore roads without being included in our LTA-TP Demerit Points system. This is more advantageous than our ordinary NS Men who don't travel in QX and QY vehicles.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: AbolishNSabolishNS at Tue Aug 18 13:38:11 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=Post cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>I served almost 20 yrs in grassroot org;
I recently learnt that a 1st gen PR [ who didn't serve NS ] simply serve 12 mths in a Resident Committee - can register his eldest child during Phase 2B for pri sch of his choice.
This is more priority than our ordinary NS Men's child.
I verified n confirmed this with People's Assoc.
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: AbolishNSabolishNS at Tue Aug 18 13:35:47 SGT 2009
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Agarwal should just leave. Loser who cannot get her kid into India primary school, also cannot get into our schools which are infinitely better than India's top school.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a citizen, I feel that PR also pays the same tax as everybody else, why do they not enjoy the same benefit. I do agree that whoever chose to live in singapore should abide by our laws, rules and way of life. But having a different treatment or rules for them may not be the solution.
Posted by: sdd20122 at Tue Aug 18 13:39:01 SGT 2009

This is true, if they pay taxes they should enjoy the same benefits..

definitely not discounted benefits.

even unemployed singaporeans, who don't pay taxes gets all the benefits!!!!

where's the fairness? :biggrin:

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is true, if they pay taxes they should enjoy the same benefits..

definitely not discounted benefits.

even unemployed singaporeans, who don't pay taxes gets all the benefits!!!!

where's the fairness? :biggrin:

Based on your arguement, how about those non-citizen who pay even more tax? Should they have 1st priority then?? Never had I see the value of citizen of its country cheaper than... only here.

Uniquely Singapore, Money Talks...:rolleyes:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Based on your arguement, how about those non-citizen who pay even more tax? Should they have 1st priority then?? Never had I see the value of citizen of its country cheaper than... only here.

Uniquely Singapore, Money Talks...:rolleyes:

yeah all should get the same benefits...not more or not less...

if they pay taxes....the purpose of taxes is to be re-invested in the people as welfare and benefits....this pool of money is contributed by working adults, may they be singaporeans, PRs or foreigners...

but not thrown away into failing banks or paying themselves millions or invested in infrastructure to spy on the people....:biggrin:

that's call good/ wise governance.

Last edited:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
[
indianyoga.JPG

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah all should get the same benefits...not more or not less...

if they pay taxes....the purpose of taxes is to be re-invested in the people as welfare and benefits....this pool of money is contributed by working adults, may they be singaporeans, PRs or foreigners...

but not thrown away into failing banks....:biggrin:

that's call good/ wise governance.

It is only in here that white scum spread the legs apart for whoever pay them. NS should also be the same too, if you can't pay up for protection, just go die then...:rolleyes: