• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renouncing due to medishield premium

anom90908

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am liable for the annual medishield premium but am not eligible for premium deferment as I am now holding a 2nd citizenship rather than a PR.

I have not lived in Singapore for the last 20 years and I have not renewed my SG passport when it expired ages ago prior to gaining the 2nd citizenship. I have no SG bank account either for financial transaction. I am seriously in contemplation of renouncing my SG citizenship (in the process of filling up the renounciation form and preping all the other accompanying forms) to stop the harassment of having to pay this dead money on an annual basis.

I am sure there are many others out there in the same situation holding another citizenship and being harassed for the annual premium payment but not eligible for deferment as you hold another citizenship.

Have you renounced your SG citizenship for this reason? Is there another legal way around to not paying medishield premium that is of no use to you bit retain SG citizenship?

Last edited:

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no legal way around it. You have to think from SG gov point of view - the number of Singaporeans in this situation is too small and politically insignificant to change their decision.

The more important question to ask yourself is: Do I really need (or want) to renounce citizenship?

Yes you’re paying dead money annually, but it is poor decision making to decide to renounce because of it. It’s a major life changing decision.

Renouncing is based on serious reasons:
- no more ties to SG and settled for life and death in their destination country
- withdraw CPF
- other reasons such as wanting to enjoy benefits of destination country citizenship, and nothing left of SG citizenship that they enjoy or lose

If you can afford the annual payments and have no serious reason to renounce citizenship, don’t do it.

If you think there is a remote chance that you might return to SG as a citizen, don’t do it.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you still want to keep SG citizenship...you know that it is illegal to hold another citizenship if you are still a Singaporean ?

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you still want to keep SG citizenship...you know that it is illegal to hold another citizenship if you are still a Singaporean ?
It is not illegal. This has been covered by Scroobal in the past. You can take up citizenship of another country while you’re a Singaporean citizen. You simply have to make a decision to renounce SG citizenship (or not) if you are notified by ICA, OR you do so proactively yourself.

anom90908

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no legal way around it. You have to think from SG gov point of view - the number of Singaporeans in this situation is too small and politically insignificant to change their decision.

The more important question to ask yourself is: Do I really need (or want) to renounce citizenship?

Yes you’re paying dead money annually, but it is poor decision making to decide to renounce because of it. It’s a major life changing decision.

Renouncing is based on serious reasons:
- no more ties to SG and settled for life and death in their destination country
- withdraw CPF
- other reasons such as wanting to enjoy benefits of destination country citizenship, and nothing left of SG citizenship that they enjoy or lose

If you can afford the annual payments and have no serious reason to renounce citizenship, don’t do it.

If you think there is a remote chance that you might return to SG as a citizen, don’t do it.
Let's imagine a scenario where I move back to Singapore... how would that even work when I no longer hold a valid SG passport nor would I be able to renew it?

Wouldn't someone in that scenario be living day to day like a fugitive while living in SG expecting to be caught out any day and be forced to renounce one of the citizenship?

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's imagine a scenario where I move back to Singapore... how would that even work when I no longer hold a valid SG passport nor would I be able to renew it?

Wouldn't someone in that scenario be living day to day like a fugitive while living in SG expecting to be caught out any day and be forced to renounce one of the citizenship?
Read the entire Dual Citizenship thread and you’ll find your answers there. You’re overly worrying. You can still apply to renew your SG passport (don’t lie on the form) and if you get your SG passport, you have your answer. You can either apply from overseas or travel back to SG on your non-SG passport to apply at ICA directly.

anom90908

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG passport can be renewed even when you tick yes to holding another citizenship? Wouldn't that just be a self disclosure that will result in them sending a letter to renounce one of the citizenship?

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG passport can be renewed even when you tick yes to holding another citizenship? Wouldn't that just be a self disclosure that will result in them sending a letter to renounce one of the citizenship?
Did you read the Dual citizenship thread?

Yes, SG passport can be renewed even when you tick yes. Of course you are not going to hear about this from anyone. You can also apply for citizenship of another country while you are a Singapore citizen, otherwise, how did you get your second citizenship? And how would people withdraw their CPF if they have to renounce SG citizenship and produce official citizenship certificate or passport of another country as documentation to be attached to the renunciation application form?

I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to understand and accept that there are grey areas like the above situations. And why people cannot connect the dots for themselves?

In that Dual Citizenship thread, the specific SG Gov Statute was provided, and you can search for it yourself on statutes-gov-sg itself. The keyword is may, not shall or will. In legalese and you can consult lawyers, it leaves room for SG gov to decide and they have the right to choose or not to enforce.

Your self-disclosure does not necessarily trigger ICA to send a letter asking you to renounce.

There’re 3 outcomes:
1. They send you letter to renounce
2. They send you your passport
3. They reject your passport application

Even if they do send you letter to renounce, you should already be prepared to accept any of those outcomes.

anom90908

Alfrescian
Loyal
I did read through that thread with arguments from either side.

If what you wrote is right would that translate to dual citizenship holder being able to defer Medishield Life premium as PR of another country could using citizenship cert/foreign passport rather than SG passport with foreign PR visa?

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
The question doesn’t make sense. If you’re a citizen of another country, the PR is replaced by it (unless you’re talking about the PR of a 2nd country and citizenship of a 3rd country).

Regardless, you can try writing in the CPF to ask to defer Medishield premiums given your status and see what they say. But you would be revealing in writing to CPF your status of course.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I am liable for the annual medishield premium but am not eligible for premium deferment as I am now holding a 2nd citizenship rather than a PR.

I have not lived in Singapore for the last 20 years and I have not renewed my SG passport when it expired ages ago prior to gaining the 2nd citizenship. I have no SG bank account either for financial transaction. I am seriously in contemplation of renouncing my SG citizenship (in the process of filling up the renounciation form and preping all the other accompanying forms) to stop the harassment of having to pay this dead money on an annual basis.

I am sure there are many others out there in the same situation holding another citizenship and being harassed for the annual premium payment but not eligible for deferment as you hold another citizenship.

Have you renounced your SG citizenship for this reason? Is there another legal way around to not paying medishield premium that is of no use to you bit retain SG citizenship?
Hahahah, you have not lived in Sinkiepore for 20 years, hold another citizenship, and now just thinking of renouncing because they are depleting your CPF? Are you a fucking retard? You dumbshit should have renounced 20 years ago when you became the citizen of another country.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The question doesn’t make sense. If you’re a citizen of another country, the PR is replaced by it (unless you’re talking about the PR of a 2nd country and citizenship of a 3rd country).

Regardless, you can try writing in the CPF to ask to defer Medishield premiums given your status and see what they say. But you would be revealing in writing to CPF your status of course.
Don't bother debating with this idiot Anon. He is a fucktard

LittleP

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the first place, it's already illegal to be a sinkie citizen to have 2 citizenships. No brainer which to renounce anyway. Did mine in 2014:sneaky:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyoh. much ado about nothing. as a sinkie shitizen living in another cuntry, you can log into singpass and submit an online form requesting for suspension of your medishield life premium collection. all my sinkie friends in my area have done so, and they stopped paying premiums since 2016.9. they paid about $1k for age group 69 during the year 2015-2016 when medishield life became mandatory for all sinkies and pr’s. and then subsequently due to feedback (and complaints) from sinkies overseas, the suspension option for overseas sinkies became available. it’s a suspension of payment, not a waiver nor dismissal. when a sinkie decides to return to sg for good, heshe will need to top up or replenish the unpaid premiums. they don’t hold you hostage with suspension of premium payments if you already secured a foreign shitizenship while holding on to your sinkie shitizenship. if you have a singpass account you can easily do a lot of shit with sg gov bodies.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
aiyoh. much ado about nothing. as a sinkie shitizen living in another cuntry, you can log into singpass and submit an online form requesting for suspension of your medishield life premium collection. all my sinkie friends in my area have done so, and they stopped paying premiums since 2016.9. they paid about $1k for age group 69 during the year 2015-2016 when medishield life became mandatory for all sinkies and pr’s. and then subsequently due to feedback (and complaints) from sinkies overseas, the suspension option for overseas sinkies became available. it’s a suspension of payment, not a waiver nor dismissal. when a sinkie decides to return to sg for good, heshe will need to top up or replenish the unpaid premiums. they don’t hold you hostage with suspension of premium payments if you already secured a foreign shitizenship while holding on to your sinkie shitizenship. if you have a singpass account you can easily do a lot of shit with sg gov bodies.
The fact your sinkie friends did not renounce at all means they are fucktards.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In the first place, it's already illegal to be a sinkie citizen to have 2 citizenships. No brainer which to renounce anyway. Did mine in 2014:sneaky:
The theory part and the actual part is two different animals. No one has been prosecuted for holding 2 citizenships even though the govt know who they are. Before Covid, thousands of sinkie return from overseas who are dual citizenship holders. But the govt will not do anything to prosecute them. They know that if they do it, these people will choose the other country and renounce their sinkie passport, meaning they can take out all their CPF. The result would have been hundreds of millions of $ worth of CPF flowing out.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How can retaining a singapore citizenship be considered the best of both worlds?
every sinkie in amerika with two passports whom i know plans to “return to sg to retire”, or that’s what they claim. so far, after reaching 65 and becumming eligible for medicare, they continue to stay with little to no plans of going back to sg. this is because medicare with sextra supplementary premium payment of about $200 per month, they get the best healthcare in the world as medicare pays for over 80% of all medical sexpenses. with the extra premium 100% is paid for. way better than medisave and medishield in sg. but many have paid up freehold landed houses and condos in sg. they rent them out for incum. when they go back to sg for vacation they put up with relatives and friends. they still have cpf balances in sg and gloat about not needing them and the higher interest it pays compared to savings accounts in amerika.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
every sinkie in amerika with two passports whom i know plans to “return to sg to retire”, or that’s what they claim. so far, after reaching 65 and becumming eligible for medicare, they continue to stay with little to no plans of going back to sg. this is because medicare with sextra supplementary premium payment of about $200 per month, they get the best healthcare in the world as medicare pays for over 80% of all medical sexpenses. with the extra premium 100% is paid for. way better than medisave and medishield in sg. but many have paid up freehold landed houses and condos in sg. they rent them out for incum. when they go back to sg for vacation they put up with relatives and friends. they still have cpf balances in sg and gloat about not needing them and the higher interest it pays compared to savings accounts in amerika.
I think u need to hang out with non retarded ex sinkies