• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Reconsider 5-day week?

mktoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hilarious stuff! I can already smell shoes and kerosene in the air haha.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_334240.html

Reconsider 5-day week?
By Jeremy Au Yong

MORE free time did not result in more babies, so people should go back to work on Saturdays.

Nominated MP Loo Choon Yong on Tuesday threw up the most provocative suggestion during the Budget debate when he questioned the benefits of the five-day work week.

Speaking on the second day of the debate on the Budget Statement, he said the move to a shorter work week by the public sector and then the private sectors in in 2004 could have eroded the Singaporean's work ethic, while not improving the fertility rate in any meaningful way.

The number of live births only inched up to 39,490 in 2007 from 37,485 in 2003.

'We should accept that as a people our procreation talent is not our forte - nothing to crow about,' he said.

'I urge the Government to take steps to determine whether our productivity and competitiveness have been affected by the five-day week and to review the policy, if necessary,' he added.

Dr Loo had unleashed this stunner as he voiced concerns over what he called the 'all life and very little work' attitude of the younger generation.

He pointed to Straits Times reports on how to maximise leave by taking advantage of public holidays that fall near weekends as an indication of an erosion of the work ethics.

'I have nothing against our young Singaporeans having fun and partying. But I hope they will work as hard as they play,' he said.

Declining productivity was also a concern of Mr Zainudin Nordin (Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC) although he broached the subject from a different angle. He pegged the dipping productivity figures in recent years to an over-reliance on foreign workers.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

i prefer 4 days week.

4 days work, 2 days to rest and 1 day for God.

like dat more balanced lifestyle.

work like a dog for 5 1/2 days and still get laid off..WTF! LOL..

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Declining productivity was also a concern of Mr Zainudin Nordin (Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC) although he broached the subject from a different angle. He pegged the dipping productivity figures in recent years to an over-reliance on foreign workers.

I'm curious what Mr Zainudin said exactly

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
i prefer 4 days week.

4 days work, 2 days to rest and 1 day for God.

like dat more balanced lifestyle.

work like a dog for 5 1/2 days and still get laid off..WTF! LOL..

i prefer our top pappies do 2 days a week and cut their salary by 60%.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
my restaurant is 6 day work week

still my workers ask for OT because they wanna make money

attitude is the key to success

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please let me know your restaurant business address, I wish to test your foreign so-called talent worker skill and attitude.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

it may not neccessary be a good thing. There was a case where an employee work for months without taking leave - why? Bcos he was embezzling money from the company & he cannot take leave as he will be discovered.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ppl work mor ... work longer hrs ... mor stressed ... mor feel sick ...

benefit who? ... clinics! ...

Last edited:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_334240.html

Reconsider 5-day week?
By Jeremy Au Yong

MORE free time did not result in more babies, so people should go back to work on Saturdays.

It is about time they address the problems of too many FTs in singapore.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if they want to increase productivity
better to cancel reservist or reduce it to 5 years instead.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
if they want to increase productivity
better to cancel reservist or reduce it to 5 years instead.

Totally agree. Fucking 13 years, waste so much time. They can invst more time in their family or work. Not bleed them to death and ask them to produce more for them to use and bleed?

Hahhaa, no wonder so many of my friends sent their chldren overseas and ask them not to come back.

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is quite easy to predict the actions of the PAP.

a. They are going to temporarily suspend part of the GST.
"Perception that GST is a burden".. It is a burden no doubts
about that.
b. They are making people to go back to 5.5 days work week.
So that we are more productive, more bang for the buck
for our employers.

Nothing new, just the inability to admit mistakes in public....

Sayn

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Totally agree. Fucking 13 years, waste so much time. They can invst more time in their family or work. Not bleed them to death and ask them to produce more for them to use and bleed?

Hahhaa, no wonder so many of my friends sent their chldren overseas and ask them not to come back.

even south korea do not have 13 years of reservists.

your friends sent children overseas and ask them not to come back? i find that very hard to believe.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is quite easy to predict the actions of the PAP.

a. They are going to temporarily suspend part of the GST.
"Perception that GST is a burden".. It is a burden no doubts
about that.
b. They are making people to go back to 5.5 days work week.
So that we are more productive, more bang for the buck
for our employers.

Nothing new, just the inability to admit mistakes in public....

Sayn

you neber consider if people are busy working or studying, they will have no time for politics?

and let taxpayers funded Temasick and GICs to continue to bleed?