• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recommend fishing Rod and Reel?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm going kelong fishing for the 1st time so need to buy fishing rod and reel.

Since I do not fish often, I just want something cheap and can last.

My budget is around $400 for both fish rod and reel.

Any fishing expert here can recommend me where and what to buy?

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
with S$400, you can get something good enough. if you plan to use it once a while, i think those "package" will be good enough. which kelong are you going? can PM me your contact?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$400 is more than enough to get yourself a very good rod and reel... Try goin to those fishing shops at Beach Rd or Changi Village.. There selling many good brands such as Abu Garcia, Daiwa, Penn.. Try buying from a good brand as it will last you long.. I myself am using a Daiwa rod and reel equipment.. Been having it for 8 years now.. Used to go to those Kelongs at Mersing.. Fishing is a great relaxing hobby..

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thanks for the reply guys...

Will check out those place you recommended.

As for the kelong contact, my friend is the one arranging so I do not know. I will let you know once I get the contact.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lucky I here.
$400 is really good budget if you need reasonable quality.
Let put a side $100 for accessories
1. $15 tool box
2. $10 for plier and knife
3. Some sinker size 1~10 about $30( depend on size and shop u buy)
4. Apollo few pack $10 each pack about $1
5. Hook small to biggest size 3 will be good enough $15
6. Another $5 for shock leader............
So $100 will be good enough.

For rod budget you can set $50 ~$100 will be good enough max. is PE5. I recommend PE2 ~4 that will be good for you. Some budget with reasonable price with quality brand are Eupro and Lemax price less than $70 you can buy 2 if have $100.

Fishing Reel. No need to buy Shimano/Daiwa any below$300 quality really bad.
For beginner you buy spinner type, please dont buy(overhead type- you will fried bee hoon).
So you still have balance $200. You can choose buy one reel or 2. If you buy 2 rod then but 2 reel.
You can buy DAM, BANAX, OKUMA.

Remember fishing line. Recommend use braided line no need branded very expensive like Power pro $30/100m.
Want cheap can try sure catch about $13/100m. You need about 2 roll/200m. All depend on reel size.
Use braided line 30~40lbs.
From the info hope u know how to split u budget if not later overshoot.
If plan properly even less that $300 enough for one reasonable quality set plus accessories.
Happy fishing! Dont get hook/addicted. You will spend thousand $$$$ upgrade tackles and go offshore fishing.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Need more info just PM me or reply.
Happy fishing remember please dont throw rubbish into sea eg. plastic or can.
If food OK because fishing can eat.

Muthukali

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
under 100 can get resonable rod n reel liao. Im using loomis & frankelin 10 feet rod for pond fishing.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can choose buy one reel or 2. If you buy 2 rod then but 2 reel.
You can buy DAM, BANAX, OKUMA.

Bought an Okuma Rod few backs back... Really good brand.. No regret for me..Durable and strong...But I accidentally left it at a chalet this year..:mad:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm going kelong fishing for the 1st time so need to buy fishing rod and reel.

Since I do not fish often, I just want something cheap and can last.

When I was young I would go to the fishing ponds that were in Spore & rented one of those bamboo fishing rods. If you are not know sure whether you are going to fish regularly can make your own bamboo fishing rod & save $$$:smile:

If you have a problem finding bamboo you can visit the 2nd hand store like Cashconverters. They have stores in AngmoKio & Toa Payoh.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
For kelong fishing, just get a 8-10 footer rod($100 plus, brands like loomis&franklin, Abu, Daiwa or Shimano) n pair it up with the trustworthy Shimano baitrunner 5500(ard $240 with 40lbs braided line). Tis combination can last u a life time...dun go during the wkends as the kelongs will be very crowded! Used to go kelong fishing during my younger days but got appalled by the unruly crowd so prefer deep sea boat fishing now...really relaxing!

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For kelong fishing, just get a 8-10 footer rod($100 plus, brands like loomis&franklin, Abu, Daiwa or Shimano) n pair it up with the trustworthy Shimano baitrunner 5500(ard $240 with 40lbs braided line). Tis combination can last u a life time...dun go during the wkends as the kelongs will be very crowded! Used to go kelong fishing during my younger days but got appalled by the unruly crowd so prefer deep sea boat fishing now...really relaxing!

Yeah agree.. I stopped goin to those Mersing kelongs now.. The place now packed with Sporeans who bring their young kids.. The place is no different from the packed crowds at Bedok Jetty..Kids running around and shouting...Can't concentrate on fishing.. If for leisure fishing with family then kelong is the place to go... But for serious fishing with your fishing kakis then boat fishing is the way to go...One of the best place off Spore is fishing at the Horsburgh Lighthouse..Big fishes, great fight and the the added advantage of the lighthouse belonging to Spore.. One of my favourite boat fishing spots..

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Deep sea must rent boat obviously so could you please advise: where is a reasonable place to rent ; what sort of packages available ; what sort of boat and how many people can join; is it normally overnight trip or how long each trip ; any tips about safety ; is the pilot about advise where to fish etc

Thanks mako65 in advance for the info

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deep sea must rent boat obviously so could you please advise: where is a reasonable place to rent ; what sort of packages available ; what sort of boat and how many people can join; is it normally overnight trip or how long each trip ; any tips about safety ; is the pilot about advise where to fish etc

Thanks mako65 in advance for the info

Singapore not much spot for deep see. Best still Horsbourgh the Navy langgar Container ship.
Trip cost depend on how many people sharing and days(eg 1 day or 2 days).
Malaysia many Singaporean go for Mersing and nearby island. Maybe because there is advertisement.
But there is better spot in Malaysia can try Terengganu Malaysia near oil drilling platform. This not many people know, need to book very early only those have link can book.
Also can try Sarawak.
No no need to try Tanjung Pinang in Indo wasting time and money. Go Malaysia better cost about the same but more advanture.
If more hardcore or addicted fishing can go Australia/Taiwan.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Joe, u can get Ricky(the 7sea conqueress), Ah jiang(sportfisher88), John(rico2). I usually go 4 the 3d2n trips which can cost $2700 to $4200 n it's for a group of 10 anglers. Sorry, I dun hve their contact numbers as most of the trips are arranged by my kakis. U can get more info fr fishingkaki.com...1st of all, dun hve to buy high-end gears n only commit if u tink tis is a hobby for life! High-end reels like the Shimano Stellas n Daiwa Saltigas can cost $1300 per piece. Rods like Carpenters, Zenaqs n JMs are high-end rods....errrrh, they are such a attractive item to own!

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add on, baits n ice are included in the package! The deckies will gut n store your catch fresh after every trip. Main purpose is to run away fr the maddening crowd n smell some salt fr the sea, not 4getting some quiet time for yourself( away fr the chatty wife).. Hahaha...the smell is addictive!

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought an Okuma Rod few backs back... Really good brand.. No regret for me..Durable and strong...But I accidentally left it at a chalet this year..:mad:
Yah manzzz! Horsburg n Eastern Banks still produce some fat golden snappers n groupers...nice for curry!

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kelong fishing in boleh land is not as safe as it sounds. Make sure you don't go cheap by going during off-season like during NE monsoon. Waves so strong even fishermen don't go out. The kelong is about 7.8 km out to sea and will take more than 30 - 40 mins to get there. Problem is many sinkies want to go back at the same time, but not enough boats due to usual maintenance issues and whether the boatmen feel like working. The boats get inevitably overloaded and easily tip over. As sinkies are a foolish lot, they bring their 6 mths babies, toddlers, grandmas along with ratio of 1 adult to 3 children. If you are one of them, pray to your favorite gods first and make sure they (not the immortals) have life jackets on and not sitting inside the boat cabin when shit hit the fan.

Anyway $400 for first time purchase is an overkill unless you intend to be serious in the hobby, Your first choice is seldom your best choice and soon you will be buying more or customizing more until you surrender.

For kelong fishing, the catch are small size and you spend several hours just to degut the fish. Then you bring the fish in an ice-box and forced to give it away before they turn rotten. Only the kheks do that, they are like cats, can subsist on fish alone, rotten or otherwise, something in their 'must get something mentality'. Half of your friends who go with you will be secret Kheks, speaking perfect teochews and hokkiens except privately to one another out of earshot. They will chope choice position like the rear (stern) boat corners and refused to leave and would rather die frozen instead of taking turns so others have the choice spot. Back on land, they go to JB markets to buy fish laced with formaldehyde preservatives so show off and tell people its all caught by them.

The kelong owners are probably kheks so you get prison rice and unsold fishes nobody wants. 5 meals a day and but soon you will be like Pavlov dogs salivating when you hear dinner bells ringing.

Its cheaper to go to Pulau Ubin and fish from the jetty. The buddhists idiots due to their malnourished brain state due to eating too much heartlanders style vegetarian food are always releasing live seafood so you might get very lucky.