• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Raffles, lky and singapore.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
@Wikiphile.. Good Analysis.. Noted. So what i have gathered is.. The Only problem with Farquer was the Influx of Migrants into the Island and he had trouble with governing
the population..In terms of Crime.. But did a good job in the Economy aspect.

Dont forget the North Indians and Arabs There was a very large no. of them before the Influx of the Tamils and Chinese.

Any other Races during that Period?

Anyone one got any Idea on The stats of the Different Races etc. Indians(North and South), Chinese and Malays(Java,Bugis etc) as the Island was Growing.. On a Yearly basic?

What were this Group of Individuals working as or was Brought in to do..(In terms of Race) Etc.. Arabs as Traders....

The early settlers in Singapore were mainly traders, large groups came from the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), prominent among them were the usual seafaring, pirates, mercenaries or travelling ethnic groups - Bugis, Javanese, Minangkabau, Sundanese.

For the Chinese (not counting the peranakans) the major ethnic groups are Hakka, Hokkien, Teochiew, Hockchiew, Hainan, Cantonese and so on. They were mainly fleeing from the authorities, proverty, civil war and generally in search of a better life in Singapore.

For the Indians the mainstay were traders such as Gujarats, Malayalam, Tamils. The Punjabis were brought in later as Sepoys for the English. The bigger influx of the Tamils were later brought in as indentured labourers later. The northern Indians didn't had so much of a presence unless you count the Dhobis from which Dhoby Ghaut is named after.

The Indian diaspora is best represented by South India such as the Tamils, we are still eating more Roti Prata or Roti Chenai today than we are eating naan and paneer aren't we?

PS i am recalling this from my primary and secondary history books as best as i can.

Last edited:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
@Azn ... We are not arguing we are Discussing History.

Social Studies didnt teach much..

I was commenting base on the comments on that article since U said those were interesting. If I was out of topic I apologize

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gujarats, Punjabs, Dhobis, Sikhs are all North Indians. Majority of the Early North Indian settlers in Singapore came from UttarPradesh. @About why we eat all this south Indian cuisine is, There is a very large no. of them Right from the Beginning or Once the British East India company has already Established a foothold in Singapore. During the Initiate migration or the Arrival of the East India Company it also arrived with a very large no. of North Indians but after which more laborers from the South was brought in thus having more Tamils here(All within the same period la and the Truth is Singaporeans dont Use the Caste systems and North/South consider themselves as Indian 1st and see no difference among each other, I cant say the same for the New-citizens.) Most north-Indians in Singapore you come across(True blue) have at least 3 or 4 generation in their Family, Alot have longer generation linage. But Yes the north has always been a very small population to have a large Influence both on Business and Population terms.

There is also a very large no. of Arabs in Singapore as well, Who have the same population as the North Indians in Singapore.. Arrival timing should be the same.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Gujarats, Punjabs, Dhobis, Sikhs are all North Indians. Majority of the Early North Indian settlers in Singapore came from UttarPradesh. @About why we eat all this south Indian cuisine is There is a very large no. of them Right from the Beginning or Once the British East India company has already Establishd a foothold in Singapore. During the Initiate migration or the Arrival of the East India Company it also arrived with a very large no. of North Indians but after which more laborers from the South was brought in thus having more Tamils here(All within the same period la) Most north-indians in Singapore you come across(True blue) have at least 3 or 4 generation in their Family, Alot have longer generation linage AND Yes the Arabs as well.

Arabs were prominent too, the Al-Sagoffs, Al-Junied, Syeds to name a few. And some Armenians and Jews

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
success of sg lies with sinkies. british colonizers knew it, and everywhere they went to colonize, they brought the same stinkies along. throw sinkies anywhere on this planet and they will thrive, thanks to the sinkie spirit of wanting to show off. sinkies thrive best with the absence of control freaks, supervisors and mentors, and especially the absence of a particular mentor.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very True, When i was In aust studying i was always given Management powers even while on Student visa.. Felt Good. Sinkies(True Blue) has also been a force to Reckon with regardless of Race and Religion where ever they go.. If Sinkies has never been labourers outside of the Island..It pretty much sums up who we are.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
success of sg lies with sinkies. british colonizers knew it, and everywhere they went to colonize, they brought the same stinkies along. throw sinkies anywhere on this planet and they will thrive, thanks to the sinkie spirit of wanting to show off. sinkies thrive best with the absence of control freaks, supervisors and mentors, and especially the absence of a particular mentor.

heh heh...u sure or not...

i have seen sinkies getting lost like a rudderless ship...

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
So whose idea was it to Merge with Malaya... What was the Real reason? Economics or to Seek Independence from the Queen?

What was the real reason for the Split? Was it really due to Racial tensions(Plot to create unrest so it will be force to split from Malaya thus giving Lky a Country to Govern) or was the King worried that Singaporeans will have to much influence in Malaysia and wants more say in Parliament?(Etc.. Chinese taking control of Malaysia) I remembered they were piss when Lky said something about Borneo and Sarawak..<--Cant really remember what...

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Char Iz A Typical Lapping Dog

hitler1.jpg

no body is twisting anything...what you have just wrote are simply honoring the guy who planted the flag. Not the guys / un-named guys who has sweated and toiled to enable this guy to plant the flag.

LKY kept quiet about who did it all and let the twisted media to create a false impression that the-man-who did-it-all as the hero in the minds of these dumb citizens. When Goh keng Swee died, strangely ... the-man-who did-it-all was overshadowed by 'the fact' that the late Goh K.S. was the one who PIONEERED the SAF (defense dept), the HDB (p.k.a SIT), the MOE, the JTC, etc. All these are important area to show that you are capable. BUT, of course it is STILL the people that toiled with their sweat, blood, and tears to eventually erected the needle of success. What can the old man say ? He didn't say anything ? What did his book say ? All warped minded citizens will worship a liar from day one. That's the disgrace as being a Singa-Poo person.

Obviously, the media warped and twisted the mind of the daft Sinkies ! Sad, very sad.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Char Iz A Typical Lapping Dog

hitler1.jpg

LKY kept quiet about who did it all and let the twisted media to create a false impression that the-man-who did-it-all as the hero in the minds of these dumb citizens. When Goh keng Swee died, strangely ... the-man-who did-it-all was overshadowed by 'the fact' that the late Goh K.S. was the one who PIONEERED the SAF (defense dept), the HDB (p.k.a SIT), the MOE, the JTC, etc. All these are important area to show that you are capable. BUT, of course it is STILL the people that toiled with their sweat, blood, and tears to eventually erected the needle of success. What can the old man say ? He didn't say anything ? What did his book say ? All warped minded citizens will worship a liar from day one. That's the disgrace as being a Singa-Poo person.

Obviously, the media warped and twisted the mind of the daft Sinkies ! Sad, very sad.

to be honest, LKY is a good orator. He is one of the few politicians who can speak on his feet, speak without sounding like reading from script...look at his son, he cannot even do it.

he is the leader, no doubt, he fronts the policies, and during the beginning years, he is the speaker to bring all the policies to the public and his favorite MO is to go walk to the villages, and speak on radio - of course, during that period of time, no such thing as TV broadcast - but it is his speeches that convince the people to vote for self gov, to vote join Mudland...

but the team / the people who came up with the ideas / policies to run Singapore - must be duly recognised. Weimerus - is the father of Singapore economics, GKS and the Israelis build up our SAF - i remembered a post earlier in this forum of how we beg other nations to help build our SAF and only Israelis came fwd.

But history books only seem to direct the spotlight on LKY. Not that he did nothing but he is the flag planter - he is the guy media see...

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal

One thing for sure.. I cant stand it when the Media/Reporters and Daft Pap bastard supporters start saying LKY IS FOUNDER OF MODERN SINGAPORE. What rubbish is that? Thats the biggest bull-shit i have heard about Singapore. Its clear to me.. Singapore join Malaya to Gain independence from the British, As the British didnt want to give Independence to Singapore. Singaporeans was later kicked out by Tengku Or Lky was Stirring shit up in malaysia Parliament and asked to leave. Which Tengku said Fine F OFF.

So its abit sketchy at the moment. Did tengku kick us out Thus creating the Independent State of Singapura or Did Lky asked for a Split from Malaysia as There was social problems with the two States and only Splitting will solve this social Problems... But no way is LKY the Modern Founder of Singapore. That i cannot understand how people can come up with... LKY is to me, The 1st Prime Minister of Independent Singapore.

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

One thing for sure.. I cant stand it when the Media/Reporters and Daft Pap bastard supporters start saying LKY IS FOUNDER OF MODERN SINGAPORE. What rubbish is that? Thats the biggest bull-shit i have heard about Singapore. Its clear to me.. Singapore join Malaya to Gain independence from the British, As the British didnt want to give Independence to Singapore. Singaporeans was later kicked out by Tengku Or Lky was Stirring shit up in malaysia Parliament and asked to leave. Which Tengku said Fine F OFF.

So its abit sketchy at the moment. Did tengku kick us out Thus creating the Independent State of Singapura or Did Lky asked for a Split from Malaysia as There was social problems with the two States and only Splitting will solve this social Problems... But no way is LKY the Modern Founder of Singapore. That i cannot understand how people can come up with... LKY is to me, The 1st Prime Minister of Independent Singapore.

i think the detailed on goings leading to us leaving - i.e. we are kicked out or LKY engineered something to be kicked out....will be secret.

But I do believe whilst UK is ready to allow mudland to go independent, they are not prepared to let Singapore do it. I have the following hypothesis:

a) UK gives up Mudland for independence, but not Singapore...not so soon. So, to accelerate the process, LKY propose to join Mudland, combine forces to fight MCP cos he worry he cannot fight MCP alone?
b) I don't think he want independence at that point in time becos he recognised we r too small n we r better off sticking with Mudland - on the assumption that it is run on his terms - so thereafter he gets involved in politics in mudland...which don't really sit down well with the various mudland leaders - i think racial issues play important role - the preference of Mats over what LKY see as equality n meritocracy

...tungku dun like what he see as LKY slowly etching to his influence...buay song...n say either you toe the line or u fuck off....