• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Queue, queue, queue...what will you be queuing for?

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All 500 burgers sold before In-N-Out pop-up’s official opening time, queue started at 3.30am​

photo2024-05-3110-15-12.jpg

20240531104293572gin7970.jpg

2024053116783369gin7908.jpg

Kenme Lam
May 31, 2024

SINGAPORE – Early birds truly get the worm when it comes to the famed burgers from In-N-Out Burger.
The American burger chain opened the doors to its one-day pop-up at Columbus Coffee Company in Upper Thomson at 8.55am on May 31, over an hour ahead of the scheduled time. By then, a queue of more than 300 people had formed.
The event was slated to run officially from 10am to 4pm.
This is the fourth time In-N-Out has held a pop-up in Singapore. Previous editions took place in 2019, also at Columbus Coffee Company, in 2014 at Timbre @ Gillman and in 2012 at Boat Quay.
National University of Singapore students Shivani Chauhan, 19, and Moey Jia Jia, 21, arrived at 3.30am to be first in line.
The pair got wind of the event only on the afternoon of May 30 and decided to brave the queue overnight. After reading an earlier report about how the first person in the queue in 2019 arrived at 6.05am, they felt 3.30am was “a good time”.
Said Ms Chauhan: “We knew we couldn’t wake up in time, so we just decided to stay up all night.”

By 10am, all 500 wristbands were given out to those in line. Each wristband allowed a customer to purchase one burger, either by itself or as part of a set meal.
Three burgers were available – a double-double burger ($11), a cheeseburger ($7) and a hamburger ($5). A set meal included potato chips ($2) and a medium drink ($3), along with a burger of their choice.
2024053135511492gin8102_5.jpg

Double-double burger with onions served during the In-N-Out pop-up at Columbus Coffee Company on May 31. ST PHOTO: GIN TAY
In-N-Out merchandise were also on sale, including hats ($15) and T-shirts ($25). Every customer was also given a commemorative keychain upon entry, until stocks ran out.

Third in line was Mr Nick Kishore, a 36-year-old real estate agent who arrived at 4.45am.
The In-N-Out fan was no stranger to the long wait as he said he was first in line at the 2019 pop-up and wanted to try the burger again.
He also took along his In-N-Out Preferred Customer Coin, which he received from the brand that year. “They told me I can cut the queue with this coin, but I wanted to queue. It’s fun,” he said.
The Preferred Customer Coin is often given to the first customer at the openings of new In-N-Out restaurants in the US, and they can sell for hundreds of dollars on eBay.
“This year, the double-double burger tastes a lot better than five years ago. I would come back again for the next pop-up and be the first in line,” added Mr Kishore.
2024053194296311gin8085_5.jpg

In-N-Out fan Nick Kishore, who was first in line at the burger brand’s 2019 pop-up, dining at Columbus Coffee Company on May 31. ST PHOTO: GIN TAY
A spokesman from In-N-Out told The Straits Times that ingredients were prepared for exactly 500 burgers, an increase from the 350 burgers served in 2019.
“We anticipated a bigger turnout this time and wanted to give more burgers to Singaporeans,” he said.
However, not all who turned up were able to snag one. After all 500 wristbands were distributed, around 50 people at the back of the queue left empty-handed.
The final person to receive a wristband was Ms Gauri, a 41-year-old home-based caterer. She was in line for only 15 minutes, having arrived around 9.45am, before receiving confirmation that she would be able to purchase the last burger available.
“Just before we got the wristband, we were going to see if we wanted to leave. We did not expect such a long queue,” she said with a laugh. Her friend who waited in line with her did not receive a wristband, and the pair ended up sharing a burger.
2024053120866613gin8092_5.jpg

Not all customers in line were able to snag a burger during the pop-up, as all 500 wristbands were distributed by 10am. ST PHOTO: GIN TAY
For now, it appears In-N-Out will truly be in and out of Singapore for the foreseeable future.
The spokesman told ST “there is no immediate time frame” for the brand’s expansion into Singapore, but it will continue to host pop-ups as part of its global marketing tour.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
99.9999% will lose. They repeatedly lose, yet repeat it all over again.

What did einstein say?
'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.' Plenty of mental cases in SG. We need a new mental hospital. One, isn't enough.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gone in 90 minutes: All 600 tickets to Chick-fil-A pop-up event sold​

hzchick030624.jpg

Those who reserved seats at the event had to make a $10 donation to ComChest to get a ticket. PHOTO: EVENTBRITE
byline230623.png

Ian Cheng
Correspondent

Jun 03, 2024

SINGAPORE - All slots for American fast-food restaurant Chick-fil-A’s pop-up event in late June are sold out.
The event will take place at Esplanade Mall from June 26 to 28, from 11am to 2pm and 3 to 7pm. This marks the first time the popular chain will set foot in Asia.
Pre-registration for the pop-up opened on June 3 at noon. Organisers told The Straits Times that all 600 tickets were snapped up by 1.27pm.
When asked if they would look into increasing the availability of slots following the initial success, they said: “We are working hard to see how we can cater to more guests and look forward to sharing more updates soon.”
Chick-fil-A told ST it looks forward to expanding in Europe and Asia in the near future, with potential plans to open restaurants in additional international markets by 2030. “We are heartened by the overwhelming response,” said a spokesperson for the brand. “Through the pop-up, we hope to gain a nuanced understanding of consumer preferences in this region.”
The pop-up is held in partnership with local philanthropic organisation Community Chest (ComChest).

Those who reserved seats at the event had to make a $10 donation to ComChest to get a ticket, which entitles them to a meal comprising an Original Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich, Waffle Potato Fries and a drink.

Every dollar donated will be matched by Chick-fil-A, up to a limit of $50,000. All proceeds collected will go to ComChest.
Organisers said that $12,000 was raised on June 3 for ComChest.
The Original Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich was developed 60 years ago by founder S. Truett Cathy. The breaded, boneless chicken breast is pressure-cooked in peanut oil and served on a toasted, buttery bun with two dill pickle chips.
The Chick-fil-A event comes on the heels of another successful pop-up held by US cult burger chain In-N-Out Burger on May 31.
That event, held at Columbus Coffee Company in Upper Thomson, saw lengthy queues forming hours before it began at 9am. By 10am, all 500 wristbands – one for each burger entitlement – had been given out.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

More tickets to be released on June 6 for Chick-fil-A pop-up event​

photo2024-06-0512-36-51.jpg

Chick-fil-A announced that it will release more tickets to its previously sold-out event on June 6 at noon. PHOTO: CHICKENANDSMILES/INSTAGRAM
byline230623.png

Ian Cheng
Correspondent

Jun 05, 2024

SINGAPORE – More tickets will be made available for Chick-fil-A’s pop-up event in late June, the American fast-food restaurant announced on June 5.
In an Instagram post, Chick-fil-A said that it would release more tickets to its previously sold-out event on June 6 at noon.
“Thank you Singapore for the love. We’re waffly happy to share that we’ve made arrangements to serve more guests,” the company said.
The Straits Times has contacted Chick-fil-A for more information.
The event will take place at Esplanade Mall from June 26 to 28, from 11am to 2pm and 3 to 7pm.

This marks the popular chain’s first appearance in Asia.
It is known for its Original Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich, comprising breaded, boneless chicken breast pressure-cooked in peanut oil and served on a toasted, buttery bun with two dill pickle chips.

At noon on June 3, Chick-fil-A released 600 tickets to the event on Eventbrite. All of them were snapped up by 1.27pm.
Those who reserved seats at the event had to make a $10 donation to ComChest to get a ticket, which comes with a meal comprising an Original Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich, Waffle Potato Fries and a drink.
The pop-up event is held in partnership with local philanthropic organisation Community Chest (ComChest).
Organisers said they raised $12,000 for ComChest on June 3.
The Chick-fil-A event comes on the heels of another successful pop-up held by US cult burger chain In-N-Out Burger on May 31.
That event, held at Columbus Coffee Company in Upper Thomson, saw long queues forming hours before it began at 9am. By 10am, all 500 wristbands – each one allowed a customer to purchase one burger, either by itself or as part of a set meal – were given out.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

With no queue chaos, it was all smiles at Chick-fil-A’s first Singapore pop-up​

Luther-klchick26-1272_0.jpg

All 600 tickets for Chick-fil-A's three-day pop-up at Aniplus Cafe from June 26 to 28 were sold out within 90 minutes of being released online on June 3. ST PHOTO: LUTHER LAU
Kenme Lam

Jun 27, 2024

SINGAPORE – It was certainly all “chicken and smiles” on the first day of American fast-food chain Chick-fil-A’s pop-up on June 26 at Esplanade Mall.
There was none of the expected queueing chaos or empty-handed customers being turned away from similar events, such as the recent pop-up by American burger chain In-N-Out on May 31, where 500 burgers were sold out before its official opening time.
On June 3, 600 tickets were released via Chick-fil-A’s online ticketing system, for dine-in at designated time slots during its three-day pop-up from June 26 to 28. The tickets were sold out within 90 minutes.
For every ticket booked, diners had to make a $10 donation to Community Chest Singapore, which will be matched dollar-for-dollar by Chick-fil-A.
Each person could reserve a maximum of two tickets, each guaranteeing one set meal of a Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich, waffle fries and a drink, which costs around US$10 (S$13.50).
Singapore is the first Asian country that Chick-fil-A has hosted a pop-up in.
On June 24, Chick-fil-A announced via Instagram that 200 meals a day would be available for takeaway, starting from 11am.

By 10.30am on June 26, 30 people were in queue outside the pop-up at Aniplus Cafe in the hopes of securing a meal. By 1.30pm, all 200 meals were redeemed.
First in line was student Jayson Wong, 21, who arrived at 6.45am.
Luther-klchick26-1200.jpg

On June 26, 30 people were lined up outside the pop-up taking place at Aniplus Cafe in the hopes of securing a takeaway meal. ST PHOTO: LUTHER LAU
“I came early under the presumption that it would be just as chaotic as (the) In-N-Out (pop-up),” he said. “This will be my first time trying it, and I’m just hoping it’s a good chicken sandwich.”

At 9am, Chick-fil-A staff distributed queue numbers to the first 10 in line, and instructed them to return at 10.30am. They also handed out water bottles and fans to those waiting in line.
Each person could obtain only one meal, and customers were encouraged to make a donation of at least $5 to Community Chest Singapore in exchange for it, although it was not compulsory to do so.
Diners who obtained a ticket for the pop-up enjoyed the full extent of Chick-fil-A’s hospitality.
Around 30 of them were welcomed into Aniplus Cafe at 11am and greeted at the door with a personalised name card by the brand’s hosts, before being seated.
Luther-klchick26-1166.jpg

Chick-fil-A brand ambassadors handed out water bottles and fans to those waiting in line for takeaway meals. ST PHOTO: LUTHER LAU
They were also given a choice of two dipping sauces from four of the brand’s most popular options – Chick-fil-A, Sweet & Spicy Sriracha, Honey Mustard and Herb Garden Ranch.
One of the first to get their hands on a sandwich was American Brian Scott, 53, who works in the aviation industry.
“I’ve been a Chick-fil-A fan for most of my life since I had my first sandwich at home in the US, over 30 years ago,” he said. “I don’t eat fast food but this is a different category for me.”
According to him, his sandwich “tastes exactly like it does in the US”.
Mr Scott even recced the venue on June 25 to make sure he knew where it was located: “I’ve heard of these things getting crazy, so I wanted to be sure.”
Fellow diner Michele Chang, a 35-year-old insurance agent, booked two tickets at the encouragement of her friend, who tried Chick-fil-A on a trip to the US.
“It’s my first time trying. It’s delicious, the chicken is really moist,” she said.
Along with their meal, diners received a bingo card with various activities that allowed them to redeem a plush toy of Chick-fil-A’s cow mascot when completed.
Each seating runs for an hour, and the pop-up is open from 11am to 2pm and 3 to 7pm.
Luther-klchick26-1322.jpg

Chick-fil-A also flew members from their US headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia, to Singapore for the event, which is part of their plans to expand into Asia. ST PHOTO: LUTHER LAU
According to Chick-fil-A’s spokesperson, the online ticketing system was an important part of conveying the brand’s hospitality. “We thought, how could we care for guests, especially as the weather in Singapore is punishing? We did not want them to be queueing,” she said.
On why Chick-fil-A decided to have all proceeds from the pop-up go towards charity, she said “philanthropy is a big focus at Chick-fil-A, and we wanted to pay it forward”.
Singapore will serve as a test market for the brand before it evaluates its next steps. The ongoing pop-ups are part of Chick-fil-A’s expansion into Europe and Asia, which it aims to achieve by 2025.
“Singapore is a melting pot of culture, as well as a nation of foodies, so it was a good place to start,” the spokeswoman added.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

S’pore tech enthusiasts, professionals first in line for Apple’s $5,299 Vision Pro headsets​

yaohui-ocapple28-0702.jpg

Users can immerse themselves in a computer-generated cinema, or generate virtual computer screens before their eyes. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
osmondchia.png

Osmond Chia

Jun 28, 2024

SINGAPORE – Customers willing to pay $5,299 and above for the Apple Vision Pro turned up early at the brand’s outlets here on June 28 as the anticipated headsets hit the shelves for the first time outside the United States.
Among those first in line were tech enthusiasts, tourists and content creators keen to use the product – which has drawn positive reviews – for productivity or immersive entertainment.
The Vision Pro, which is competing with rivals like the Meta Quest 3 and Microsoft HoloLens, marks Apple’s first venture into the market for mixed reality or “spatial computing” devices – next-generation headsets that engulf users in a 3D virtual environment and allow digital elements to blend with their view of reality.
Users can immerse themselves in a computer-generated cinema, or generate virtual computer screens before their eyes.
The headset’s June 28 launch in Singapore, China, Hong Kong and Japan follows its debut in the US in early 2024, which came with positive reviews that tipped the Vision Pro as the gold standard for the technology. Some reviewers, however, have questioned the limited number of real-world uses and its hefty price.
For most consumers, the Vision Pro is likely the most expensive virtual reality headset on the market, with prices starting at $5,299 depending on storage capacity.
Customers here can pick up one at the brand’s outlets in Jewel Changi Airport, Orchard Road and Marina Bay Sands, and request a free demonstration to test the device.

Opening day​

The Apple outlet in Orchard Road opened at 8am to a short line of enthusiasts keen on the demonstration and customers eager to collect their pre-ordered device. Some had queued from as early as 6.30am, but the line was far shorter than the snaking ones seen during iPhone launches.
First in line was a 23-year-old photographer, who gave his name only as Mr Ervin L. He told The Straits Times he pre-ordered the headset after trying his friend’s Vision Pro, which he found less headache-inducing than competing devices.
He said: “I’m hoping it will become my main device for work. I’ll probably get it to mirror my MacBook so that I can have an ultra-wide view with all my screens side by side when editing photos.”

yaohui-ocapple28-0550_4.jpg

Mr Ervin L, who pre-ordered the headset after trying his friend’s Vision Pro, was first in line at the Apple store in Orchard Road. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
Tech enthusiast Surya Gunasekaran, 26, who was among the first buyers here, plans to use the headset for entertainment. The business analyst said: “The price is high but I think it’s justified. From what I’ve seen, it seems like the best of its kind in the market.”
Mr Matt Lim, 25, who works in the tech sector, said the device offers a new experience to enjoy movies and work, though it is pricey. “I don’t think the short demo gives people enough to imagine what a device like this can do. There’s a lot more to it,” he added.
But the price “is deterring”, he said. “I understand why it is that price but for everyday working people, I think it’s still too much.”
He would consider buying the Vision Pro if it were up to $2,000 cheaper, since he would use it only for entertainment.
Mr Peter Chan, 35, bought the $5,299 base model even without trying it first as he was impressed by the specifications and positive reviews since news of the headset was announced in 2023.
Mr Chan, who works in finance, said: “I’ve tried other headsets and from what I’ve seen online, this is a much more realistic experience.”
“It hurt a bit to buy it,” he added. “It’s expensive but I think there’s so much interesting technology here.”
More On This Topic
Why I can’t bet against Apple’s mixed-reality prowess
Note to parents: Your child’s screen addiction is about to get worse
During the 30-minute demonstration, each customer is accompanied by an Apple employee. The latter will help configure the headset and the sensors within that track the movement of the user’s eyes, which act as a cursor to navigate the system’s menus.
Customers can expect a brief walk-through of the headset’s features, including how to switch between apps and view photos and immersive clips that have been tailored for the Vision Pro experience. Other headlining features, like the Vision Pro’s ability to pair with other Apple devices such as the MacBook, were not shown during the demonstration with ST.
yaohui-ocapple28-1289_4.jpg

Customers trying out the new Apple Vision Pro at the Orchard Road Apple store on June 28. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
Apple did not reveal pre-order numbers or how many demonstration sessions have been booked.
Its vice-president of worldwide product marketing Bob Borchers told ST that Singapore is ideal for the second wave of the Vision Pro’s launch due to its infrastructure for software developers and content creators.
He mentioned Apple’s first developer centre in South-east Asia that opened in one-north in March, which could pave the way for more Vision Pro tools.
Market analysts said the Vision Pro is likely to receive much attention but ultimately be purchased by those with deep pockets.
Analyst Chiew Le Xuan from Canalys said the device will appeal to the affluent, or enterprise and professional creatives, but will likely be too expensive for most gamers and casual users.
The move to the international market is aimed at driving the Vision Pro’s sales, which have been lower than expected in the US, and Singapore is a strategic hub for sales as it is well-connected with the region, he added.
The Republic offers only a fraction of the customers in bigger markets like China and Japan, but is connected with high-end users within South-east Asian countries that Apple can target, said International Data Corporation’s vice-president of devices research Bryan Ma.
He said the product has yet to find its killer use case to appeal to a large market. “This is where Apple will need developers to come in to bring more content for a more attractive platform,” said Mr Ma. “It is still in its early stages but they will be hoping that the device builds enough momentum for the long term.”

jsctan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems like modern Sg is giving rise to a queuing environment letting people waste time & creating stress.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Snaking queues at Orchard Road’s Apple Store ahead of iPhone 16 launch​

photo2024-09-2007-26-49.jpg

Shoppers queueing outside the Orchard Road Apple Store to buy the new iPhone 16 on Sept 20. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
Fatimah Mujibah and Ian Cheng

Sep 20, 2024

SINGAPORE - About 110 people were seen queueing outside the Apple Store on Orchard Road at about 6.10am on Sept 20, ahead of the iPhone 16’s launch.
Customers who came to the store on the night of Sept 19 were told by Apple staff to leave and return at 4am the next day to queue. The Apple Store opens at 8am.
The iPhone 16 line-up is the first Apple smartphone designed around AI features. Pre-orders for the iPhone 16 began on Sept 13, with the phones becoming available at launch only on Sept 20.
Mr Harold Lim, 22, the first person in line at the Apple Store, told The Straits Times that this was his first time queueing for an iPhone.
“I came at around 10 plus last night actually, because I thought the queue would be crazy,” said Mr Lim.
“I went to a nearby coffeeshop at Shaw Theatres for a few hours... and made my way here at 3am, because I didn’t want to take public transport or a private hire vehicle back and forth.”
He then realised he was the first person there.

Although he is “not a huge fan” of the iPhone, Mr Lim said he had decided to take leave from work to queue anyway as he had never gotten the latest version of the phone, and wanted to “experience the queueing atmosphere”. Mr Lim had already preordered his phone to ensure he could secure a set.
photo2024-09-2007-29-15_2.jpg

The iPhone 16 retails at S$1,299 for the 128gb model, S$1,449 for the 256gb model and S$1,749 for the 512gb model. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
In response to queries from ST, local telcos - which had also seen queues outside their stores for the 2023 launch of the previous iPhone iteration - did not disclose how many pre-orders had been made, or how much stock was available.
However, a StarHub spokesperson said that demand for the iPhone 16 sold in tandem with its new mobile plans was “exceptional”. Its shops in Plaza Singapura, NEX, Tampines Mall, Jurong Point, and Causeway Point will extend their opening hours, opening at 8am on Sept 20. The shops will close at 10pm from Sept 20 to 22.

StarHub will limit customers to two iPhone 16 devices each, enforced at the point of sale.
Those who wish to purchase iPhones from both Singtel and Starhub in-person at their brick-and-mortar stores will be able to get queue numbers via electronic queue systems, and will be notified to return to make their purchases when their turn comes.
Additionally, Ms Anna Yip, deputy chief executive and CEO for business development at Singtel Singapore told ST that the telco has a “carefully managed stock allocation system” which factors in stocks for walk-in customers.
Apple Intelligence, the company’s AI software, will be used to improve Siri as well as enhancing features such as understanding and identifying objects captured by the phone camera, executives said earlier in September.
The iPhone 16 retails at S$1,299 for the 128gb model, S$1,449 for the 256gb model and S$1,749 for the 512gb model.
The iPhone 16 plus, which features a larger screen and a larger battery capacity, will be priced at S$100 more per model.
The higher-end 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max iPhones, which possess more souped-up hardware, will also have a 1tb storage model.
The Pro starts at S$1,599 for the 128gb model, S$1,749 for the 256gb model, S$2,049 for the 512gb model and S$2,349 for the 1TB model.
The Pro Max goes for S$1,899 for the 256gb model, S$2,199 for the 512gb model, and S$2,499 for the 1tb model.
photo2024-09-2007-55-41_1.jpg

Ms Jasmine Puteri Jiro (left) and Ms Nurfatimah queueing outside Orchard Road Apple Store for the new iPhone 16 on Sept 20. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
In September 2023, the launch of the iPhone 15 saw snaking queues at the Apple stores in Orchard Road and Marina Bay Sands, with some people even queueing a day before to snag the new gadgets.
The phones were also resold online on e-commerce platforms just hours after they officially went on sale.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Apple’s iPhone 16 launches to cheers and applause as hundreds queue outside Orchard Road store​

aiapple200924.jpg

Shoppers queueing outside the Orchard Road Apple Store to buy the new iPhone 16 on Sept 20. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO

photo2024-09-2007-26-49_3.jpg

photo2024-09-2008-13-54.jpg

The first few customers walking into Orchard Road Apple Store to buy the new iPhone 16 on Sept 20. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO

Fatimah Mujibah and Ian Cheng

Sep 20, 2024

SINGAPORE – “Five, four, three, two, one!”
The crowd outside the Apple Store in Orchard Road counted down, erupting in cheers and applause as the first few customers in the queue entered the store in an orderly manner at 8am on Sept 20 to get their hands on the latest iPhone.
About 110 people were seen queueing outside the store at about 6.10am. By 8.30am, the number of people in the queue had grown to nearly 300.
When the doors opened, customers were let into the store in batches of about 20 to prevent overcrowding.
The iPhone 16 line-up is the first Apple smartphone designed around artificial intelligence (AI) features. Pre-orders for the iPhone 16 began on Sept 13, with the phones becoming available only at the Sept 20 launch.
On the night of Sept 19, would-be customers who came to the Apple Store to queue were told by staff members to leave and return at 4am the next day.
One of those who were turned away only to return was Mr Harold Lim, 22. He was the first person in line at the Apple Store on the morning of Sept 20, and told The Straits Times that this was his first time queueing for an iPhone.

“I came at around 10 plus last night actually, because I thought the queue would be crazy,” said Mr Lim.
“(Then) I went to a nearby coffee shop at Shaw Theatres for a few hours... and made my way here at 3am, because I didn’t want to take public transport or a private hire vehicle back and forth.”
photo2024-09-2007-29-15_9.jpg

The iPhone 16 retails at $1,299 for the 128GB model, $1,449 for the 256GB model and $1,749 for the 512GB model. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
He then realised he was the first person there.

Although he is “not a huge fan” of the iPhone, Mr Lim had already pre-ordered his phone to ensure he could secure a set. He said he had decided to take leave from work to queue anyway as he had never bought the latest version of the phone, and wanted to “experience the queueing atmosphere”.
photo2024-09-2008-14-39_5.jpg

Mr Harold Lim shooting videos of the iPhone 16 while waiting to collect it at Orchard Road Apple Store on Sept 20, 2024. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
Ms Jasmine Puteri Jiro, a marketing manager, and Ms Nurfatimah, a finance analyst, flew in from Jakarta just to get their hands on two sets of the iPhone 16 Pro Max each, as the models are not available for sale in Indonesia yet. They started queueing from 4.30am.
It is not known when the iPhone 16 will be officially sold in Indonesia, but the iPhone 15 was released for sale in the country about a month after its international launch, according to CNBC Indonesia.
The duo, both 28, had saved up for almost a year for their iPhone 16s. They will be spending about $10,000 during their three-day trip in Singapore.
photo2024-09-2008-06-11_5.jpg

Ms Jasmine Puteri Jiro (left) and Ms Nurfatimah queueing outside Orchard Road Apple Store for the iPhone 16 on Sept 20. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
As with previous launches, resellers were also ready to snap up the coveted iPhones.
Checks on e-commerce platform Carousell at 8.20am show hundreds of listings for the sale of various iPhone 16 models, with more than 70 listed past midnight on Sept 20.
As at 10am on Sept 20, there were around 100 listings that were put up within two hours, with some featuring photos of sellers holding up Apple bags. Among these, the highest-priced listing was $2,800 for an iPhone 16 Pro Max 1TB, which retails for $2,499.
Student Tony Lee said he began queueing at the Apple Store at 7.45am. The 22-year-old had pre-ordered three sets of the iPhone Pro Max – but only one was meant for himself.
When asked if the extra sets were for resale at a higher price, the Vietnamese student said: “Of course! I’m selling it at a profit of a few hundred dollars for people in Vietnam since it’s not available there yet.”
Four men who had flown in from overseas had bought eight sets of the iPhone Pro Max. Speaking on condition of anonymity, one of them told ST that they resell such products as a job.
“We spent a total of $30,000 and are planning to resell in Dubai, where we usually do. We will definitely sell it at a profit,” said the 40-year-old, declining to reveal how much the phones would be resold at.
The new iPhone 16s were also launched on Sept 20 across the United Arab Emirates – however, according to Dubai newspaper Khaleej Times, walk-in purchases of the phones will not be entertained at Apple Stores on launch day, unlike in previous launches. Only those who had reserved their phones online would be permitted entry at their allotted time slots.
photo2024-09-2008-31-01_2.jpg

The iPhone 16 line-up is the first Apple smartphone designed around AI features. Pre-orders for the iPhone 16 began on Sept 13. ST PHOTO: BRIAN TEO
In response to queries from ST, local telcos – which had also seen queues outside their stores for the 2023 launch of the previous iPhone iteration – did not disclose how many pre-orders had been made, or how much stock was available.
However, a StarHub spokesperson said that demand for the iPhone 16 sold in tandem with its new mobile plans was “exceptional”. Its shops in Plaza Singapura, Nex, Tampines Mall, Jurong Point, and Causeway Point will extend their opening hours, opening at 8am on Sept 20. The shops will close at 10pm from Sept 20 to Sept 22, an hour later than their usual closing time.
StarHub will limit customers to two iPhone 16 devices each, enforced at the point of sale.
Those who wish to purchase iPhones from Singtel, StarHub and M1 in person at their brick-and-mortar stores will be able to get queue numbers via electronic queue systems, and will be notified to return to make their purchases when their turn comes.
Additionally, Ms Anna Yip, deputy chief executive and CEO for business development at Singtel Singapore, told ST that the telco has a “carefully managed stock allocation system” which factors in stocks for walk-in customers.

Apple Intelligence, the company’s AI software, will be used to improve Siri as well as enhance features such as understanding and identifying objects captured by the phone camera, executives said earlier in September.
The iPhone 16 retails at $1,299 for the 128GB model, $1,449 for the 256GB model and $1,749 for the 512GB model.
The iPhone 16 plus, which features a larger screen and a larger battery capacity, will be priced at $100 more per model.
The higher-end 16 Pro and 16 Pro Max iPhones, which possess more souped-up hardware, will also have a 1TB storage model.
The Pro starts at $1,599 for the 128GB model, $1,749 for the 256GB model, $2,049 for the 512GB model and $2,349 for the 1TB model.
The Pro Max goes for $1,899 for the 256GB model, $2,199 for the 512GB model, and $2,499 for the 1TB model.
Ahead of the launch here, Apple shares fell on Sept 16 after analyst Ming-Chi Kuo warned in a report that demand for the new iPhone Pro model had been lower than expected.
One of the key factors for this, he said, is that a major selling point, Apple Intelligence – an AI platform developed by the firm – is not available at launch alongside the iPhone 16 release.