• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Question Time - Race and the Presidential Elections

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think there are 3 main challenges to the PAP for the PE?

1) the whole PE does not work for the PAP because people know they are not voting in a functioning govt and more freely with their person of choice. Even the first PE, OTC only got 6 put of 10 while total and reluctant candidate who made only a state controlled TV speech got 4 out of 10. For Nathan's 2 terms, they had to disqualify candidates both times and there was no elections. Albeit these candidates who desired the role in public are not qualified but non one is sure if there were others who sought some kind of tacit consent but were turned down.

2. The Malay pool is very limited and the bulk of them are DKKs. And the fact that rules does not even require a Malay strictly shows their desperation. This arguement is aided by the fact the previous pool of candidates have been expanded by definition to now include senior post in politics without any stewardship on financials compared to higher requirements for the commercial sector.

In the late 80s when Mahathir made comments about Malays in SAF. The Govt presented I think 7 SAF officers of supposedly Malay origin som of whom were called by from their studies to appear at the press conference. All turned out be Muslims (yes) and all DKKs, including Pakistani and Arab admixture. BG Ishak the highest ranking was a student then. Damn nice guy but he married a Chinese.

3. And then there is TCB. Its a given who will win and they cannot this trick again of throwing someone to split the votes like Tan Jee Say who ran his last company to financial ruin (liquidated) and there is no other criteria how he could have got the cert in the first place.

What is DKK?

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
As PE terms expires on 31st Aug, it is likely that JY Pillay will step in as acting PM. I suspect writ will be issued in Aug but the new process needs more time for candidates to be considered as a member (not a bilogical malay) of Malay community. Unless the courts steps in or the govt chnages it mind in terms of timing and have JY carry on for while.

Max time JYP can stand in ?

Time line PE 2011

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-11-10-54-36_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-11-10-54-36_1.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 259

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is DKK?

A derogative term used in the Malay community to describe someone who is of South Indian heritage but has embraced Malay culture (language food dress etc).

Darah Keturunan Keling (descended from Tamil/South Indian blood as they do not refer to North Indians who have done the same as DKKs - there are not many but they do exist in Singapore, particularly from Pakistan as in pre-Partition context they are North Indian; in Malaysia there would also be those from East Pakistan aka Bangladesh who have done the same).

Keling/keling-kia: I am sure you are familiar with the connotations of this term during your years in Singapore. The etymological history of the term is also quite a read especially its appearance in Sejarah Melayu (Malay Annals) and the story of Raja Shulan of Kalinga's rendezvous with the Chinese representatives in Temasek en route to invading China.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A derogative term used in the Malay community to describe someone who is of South Indian heritage but has embraced Malay culture (language food dress etc).

Darah Keturunan Keling (descended from Tamil/South Indian blood as they do not refer to North Indians who have done the same as DKKs - there are not many but they do exist in Singapore, particularly from Pakistan as in pre-Partition context they are North Indian; in Malaysia there would also be those from East Pakistan aka Bangladesh who have done the same).

Keling/keling-kia: I am sure you are familiar with the connotations of this term during your years in Singapore. The etymological history of the term is also quite a read especially its appearance in Sejarah Melayu (Malay Annals) and the story of Raja Shulan of Kalinga's rendezvous with the Chinese representatives in Temasek en route to invading China.

thank you

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there are 3 main challenges to the PAP for the PE?

3. And then there is TCB. Its a given who will win and they cannot this trick again of throwing someone to split the votes like Tan Jee Say who ran his last company to financial ruin (liquidated) and there is no other criteria how he could have got the cert in the first place.

PE 2011 - Results

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-11-11-26-06_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-05-11-11-26-06_1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 255

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a moot point as anyone with a tudung or has worn a songkok for community events with a senior political past will qualify. I think it will be Zainal Abideen.

I too hear that it may be Zainul Abidin.

Interesting that Zainul was put in charge of the recent Othman Wok farewell.

Think Tarmugi has no chance.

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for the explanation. I was also wondering what that DKK stands for as well.

When you explain it like that, ISIS wannabe Zulfikar Shariff comes to mind.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, where were you when the forum was young and teeming with folks looking for answers?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Zainul was the official choice before Tony Tan had be recalled from his retirement home in London. When Aljunied was under threat, he was told to hang on, and remember it was already loaded it with 2 cabinet ministers and one MOS and one future cabinet minister. After their supposed win, he would resign and go for the Presidency. T.hey could not put shortly after their defeat.

As Tony was reluctant , the govt stepped in and state (PA and GIC) and NTUC resources were used. All the clan leaders were rounded up and they endorsed plus a dozen organisation.

You can see that he seldom seen in Singapore despite constitution requiring gazetting.

I too hear that it may be Zainul Abidin.

Interesting that Zainul was put in charge of the recent Othman Wok farewell.

Think Tarmugi has no chance.