• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Punishment Fitting The Crime

jw5

Loyal
I'm thinking whether caning is appropriate for a crime like vandalism.
If the act of vandalism causes monetary loss and no harm or injury to any person, would it not be more appropriate to fine the person to the extent of the losses plus additional punitive amount?

Caning should perhaps be for crimes where violence is involved or where people were injured or harmed by the perpetuator.

If it's murder, death penalty applies.
If it's manslaughter, no death penalty, but perhaps the perpetuator's freedom should also be taken away from him in the form of life imprisonment or hard labour for a long period.
If someone causes a death in an accident, perhaps he should be responsible for supporting the victim's dependents until the court deems them to be independent, i.e. essentially taking the place of the victim.

Punishment to fit the crime as far as possible. Do you think it is more appropriate? Will it be more justified?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
bro,

i supposed that capital punishment should be abolished, replaced by hard labor :smile:

jw5

Loyal
bro,

i supposed that capital punishment should be abolished, replaced by hard labor :smile:
It's a hot topic in Taiwan.
Family members of victims have risen in arms after the former Justice Minister claimed that she would never signed the order while in office and was then forced to resign.
There is of course also a strong lobby group calling for the abolishment of capital punishment.

But polls in Taiwan show overwhelming support for capital punishment to remain.
I think SG would be the same if a similar poll was done and I tend to agree with this view.
But I respect your opinion. :smile:

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently, a few drivers in China who killed a few pedestrians while drink driving had their charges amended to "causing hurt on purpose" and were sentenced to death. The citizens supported this as they are fed up with all these irresposible drink driving.

I supported that too and thought that finally, the punishment fit the crime. However, I don't think this will ever happen in Singapore.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Caning is no different from torture, I don't think any First World canes

Agree . Why cane?
Hard labour/dead sentence is good enough.
I always imagine how the PIC and all the officer involve in canning can sleep every night soundly.

jw5

Loyal
Recently, a few drivers in China who killed a few pedestrians while drink driving had their charges amended to "causing hurt on purpose" and were sentenced to death. The citizens supported this as they are fed up with all these irresposible drink driving.

I supported that too and thought that finally, the punishment fit the crime. However, I don't think this will ever happen in Singapore.
I support the death penalty for deaths caused by drunk driving.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm thinking whether caning is appropriate for a crime like vandalism.
If the act of vandalism causes monetary loss and no harm or injury to any person, would it not be more appropriate to fine the person to the extent of the losses plus additional punitive amount?

Caning should perhaps be for crimes where violence is involved or where people were injured or harmed by the perpetuator.

If it's murder, death penalty applies.
If it's manslaughter, no death penalty, but perhaps the perpetuator's freedom should also be taken away from him in the form of life imprisonment or hard labour for a long period.
If someone causes a death in an accident, perhaps he should be responsible for supporting the victim's dependents until the court deems them to be independent, i.e. essentially taking the place of the victim.

Punishment to fit the crime as far as possible. Do you think it is more appropriate? Will it be more justified?

It's funny how manslaughter won't get you the DP but smuggling drugs does.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I support the death penalty for deaths caused by drunk driving.

heheh...

isn't it better for the culprit to serve hard labor to earn enough to feed/support the family of the victim? :p:p:p

death comes too easy, i suppose :o:o:o

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's funny how manslaughter won't get you the DP but smuggling drugs does.

It's more funny that waging a finger at someone is a police case (criminal intimidation) while actually slapping or punching someone is a private case (voluntarily causing hurt).

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
All in not, nothing beats the SG COURT awarding the LEE family Millions and to day maybe already totaled to billions? of dollars for defamation sue. ..... while accident victims lose a limb or 2 only a couple of thousands...

So may I ask what does it mean "Punishment Fitting the Crime"?

In Singapore, the only biggest "crime" is criminal defamation against the LEE Regime and their regimentation.

jw5

Loyal
heheh...

isn't it better for the culprit to serve hard labor to earn enough to feed/support the family of the victim? :p:p:p

death comes too easy, i suppose :o:o:o
Bro
Hehehe, I was only joking about death penalty for deaths caused by drunk driving.
But I do believe that deaths caused by drunk driving should be at least manslaughter and not just an "unfortunate accident".
Hence going back to my first post, the culprit should serve time and hard labour.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

bro, using the cane already violence ...we cant use violence to justify violence .

jw5

Loyal

bro, using the cane already violence ...we cant use violence to justify violence .
If the perpetruator was violent with his victims, I think it is justified.
And as for your point about only 3rd world countries using the cane, I think this shows that SG is not quite first or second world.

"He pulled. I shot him. It ws justified."
---- Raylan Givens

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If the perpetruator was violent with his victims, I think it is justified.
And as for your point about only 3rd world countries using the cane, I think this shows that SG is not quite first or second world.

"He pulled. I shot him. It ws justified."
---- Raylan Givens

an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. ?

Baroko

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree . Why cane?
Hard labour/dead sentence is good enough.
I always imagine how the PIC and all the officer involve in canning can sleep every night soundly.

If our politicians with their mega salaries can I don't see why these officers can't as they are just doing their jobs.