• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property collapse soon as DBS retrenches 6%

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
DBS, Southeast Asia's biggest bank, is retrenching 6% of its workforce.

Some of these are expats - they will likely go home, or at least some of them will, meaning they will give up tenancy

The locals - a few are fresh grads still living with parents. But the rest - some rent, some bought home on loan, maybe a few bought DPS even, meaning they will be unable to service and face default if cannot find new job fast

Or they may sell and downgrade just to have standby cash

DBS is market leader, meaning many other companies will start retrenching and the effects will multiply

Property will drop 40% as Credit Suisse had predicted or even more.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/388278/1/.html

DBS cuts jobs, reports 38% fall in Q3 profit
Posted: 07 November 2008 1405 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

SINGAPORE - Singapore's DBS Group, Southeast Asia's biggest bank by assets, said Friday it was cutting 900 staff to trim costs amid the global credit crisis, and reported a slump in third quarter net profit.

Chief executive Richard Stanley said most of the cuts, to be carried out at the end of the month, will come from its offices in Singapore and Hong Kong and will account for six per cent of the workforce. He added that this was the largest job cut ever.

The job cut will be across all businesses and all levels.

Laid off staff will be paid the equivalent of one month's salary for every year of service as per market practice.

DBS said it has no plans to cut beyond this and also clarified that there are no plans for salary cuts. Back in 2001, DBS laid off 200 staff in Singapore and implemented pay cuts.

“To be a streamlined organisation, I believe we must run a tighter ship," he told reporters."

We have been vigilant on costs but as the economy enters a more difficult and uncertain phase, many financial institutions around the world and in Asia have made headcount reductions," he added.

"To be more productive and efficient, we will restructure and streamline the organisation. Regrettably, this has resulted in the need to reduce our workforce by six percent or about 900 people, primarily (in) Singapore and Hong Kong, by the end of the month."

Earlier Friday DBS said net profit in the three months to September fell 38 per cent as market-related income took a hit from the global financial crisis and bigger provisions.

Third quarter net profit totalled S$379 million (US$256 million), down from S$610 million in the same period last year, it said in a statement.

Analysts polled by Dow Jones Newswires had predicted an average S$572 million net profit.

"The operating environment is increasingly challenging for financial institutions the world over," Stanley said.

"We took upfront prudential levels of allowances to strengthen our balance sheet and with strong capital and liquidity, I believe we are well positioned to ride out the uncertainties ahead."

Net interest income in the September quarter grew two per cent to S$1.07 billion from last year but net fee and commission revenues dropped 22 per cent to S$316 million.

Other non-interest income plunged 87 per cent on the year to S$11 million.

The bank said it set aside S$129 million in provisions, compared with just S$10 million a year ago, partly to cover its collateralised debt obligations (CDOs) portfolio.

CDOs are securities backed by a range of assets including bonds, loans and their derivatives, including corporate loans, high-grade mortgages, subprime mortgages, car loans and credit card debt.

DBS was the last of three local banks to report earnings for the September quarter.

Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp (OCBC) said earlier this week third quarter net profit fell 13 per cent while United Overseas Bank reported last week a 5.1 per cent drop in profit for the same period. - AFP/vm

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the meantime, there are agents wasting money on ads that nobody will respond to by asking unrealistic prices and talking cock like "must grab" when the development is 90% nobody wants and lelong

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the meantime, there are agents wasting money on ads that nobody will respond to by asking unrealistic prices and talking cock like "must grab" when the development is 90% nobody wants and lelong

What to do?, agents have to earn their living, the higher the price, the higher the commission. They are also following the 'leader', who is constantly reminding the sinkies that, they pigeon hole is worth more than it is!

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
What to do?, agents have to earn their living, the higher the price, the higher the commission. They are also following the 'leader', who is constantly reminding the sinkies that, they pigeon hole is worth more than it is!

the higher the price, the less likely will sell and no sale = no commission

anyway buyer's market now and agents will comatose unless the seller is realistic, otherwise just write blank cheque to SPH Classifieds

look at today's paper, hahahah. compare to the sisv prices, they just wasting money

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the higher the price, the less likely will sell and no sale = no commission

anyway buyer's market now and agents will comatose unless the seller is realistic, otherwise just write blank cheque to SPH Classifieds

look at today's paper, hahahah. compare to the sisv prices, they just wasting money

Many are still in their "GOLDEN ERA", are still expecting that kind of prices, the agents have no choice but to advertise at that prices; till reality sinks in!:biggrin:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many are still in their "GOLDEN ERA", are still expecting that kind of prices, the agents have no choice but to advertise at that prices; till reality sinks in!:biggrin:
Hahah .... if they don want to dispose now ........ wait longer. This recession is going to be long and painful !

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahah .... if they don want to dispose now ........ wait longer. This recession is going to be long and painful !

Why me worry!, we have the best division 1, hip hop 65 team!, we ill endure, will will survive, we will move, WE WILL COME OUT STRONGER!!!:biggrin:

btw 'suicide is painles'....

Through early morning fog I see

visions of the things to be

the pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see...

[REFRAIN]:

that suicide is painless

It brings on many changes

and I can take or leave it if I please.

I try to find a way to make

all our little joys relate

without that ever-present hate

but now I know that it's too late, and...

[REFRAIN]

The game of life is hard to play

I'm gonna lose it anyway

The losing card I'll someday lay

so this is all I have to say.

[REFRAIN]

The only way to win is cheat

And lay it down before I'm beat

and to another give my seat

for that's the only painless feat.

[REFRAIN]

The sword of time will pierce our skins

It doesn't hurt when it begins

But as it works its way on in

The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...

[REFRAIN]

A brave man once requested me

to answer questions that are key

is it to be or not to be

and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

[REFRAIN]

'Cause suicide is painless

it brings on many changes

...and you can do the same thing if you please.

"MASH" TM and (or copyright) Fox and its related entities.
All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution
of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited
This web site, its operators and any content on this site
relating to "MASH" are not authorized by Fox

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal
All our properties will become Nobody's Child:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gczR_Q18YPA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gczR_Q18YPA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DOM the Clown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why me worry!, we have the best division 1, hip hop 65 team!, we ill endure, will will survive, we will move, WE WILL COME OUT STRONGER!!!:biggrin:

btw 'suicide is painles'....

Through early morning fog I see

visions of the things to be

the pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see...

[REFRAIN]:

that suicide is painless

It brings on many changes

I try to find a way to make

all our little joys relate

without that ever-present hate

but now I know that it's too late, and...

[REFRAIN]

The game of life is hard to play

I'm gonna lose it anyway

The losing card I'll someday lay

so this is all I have to say.

[REFRAIN]

The only way to win is cheat

And lay it down before I'm beat

and to another give my seat

for that's the only painless feat.

[REFRAIN]

The sword of time will pierce our skins

It doesn't hurt when it begins

But as it works its way on in

The pain grows stronger...watch it grin, but...

[REFRAIN]

A brave man once requested me

to answer questions that are key

is it to be or not to be

and I replied 'oh why ask me?'

[REFRAIN]

'Cause suicide is painless

it brings on many changes

...and you can do the same thing if you please.

"MASH" TM and (or copyright) Fox and its related entities.
All rights reserved. Any reproduction, duplication or distribution
of these materials in any form is expressly prohibited
This web site, its operators and any content on this site
relating to "MASH" are not authorized by Fox

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1wztVx2a6g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1wztVx2a6g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

singapore economic are dog's dinner
the wealth is artificially fake by gov and banks
our GDP are also a fake number
the money does not exists.
they are only on paper.
soon sinkies will find out.

the same can be said about taiwan, hongkong and korea to a certain extent. they will find out soon.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
singapore economic are dog's dinner
the wealth is artificially fake by gov and banks
our GDP are also a fake number
the money does not exists.
they are only on paper.
soon sinkies will find out.

the same can be said about taiwan, hongkong and korea to a certain extent. they will find out soon.

so it's not Uniquely Singapore? :p:p:p

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
retrench.jpg