• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pro and Con of business, and the culprit GLC

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Stolen from TOC.

53) Lop on July 7th, 2009 8.39 pm I guess none of the people who wrote here were actually employers. Let me share with you the reality as someone who employs and I’m in the retail trade.

The bulk of the business cost comes from 2: Rental and Salary. Nowadays expect to pay at least $25 psf for decent retail space. So for a 500sf retail space, it will cost you $12.5k a month. But wait, that’s not all, landlord will also want to take a small cut like 3% on your gross turnover. I work in the shop and I employ 3 other staff as retail assistant, so that we can work on the 2 shifts retail hours which include weekends. Their basic pay is $900 a month, but if you include CPF and 13th month, that will be close to $1100 a month. On an average my turnover is about $100k a month and my gross profit margin is about 25%. After paying landlord and staff salary, every month I have about 6k to pay for other miscellaneous like PUB, banking (you didn’t think the credit cards and NETS that you happily swipe were for free did you?), accounting, packaging/stationery etc. and MYSELF. Not great but enough to live.

Now my point is: is $900 monthly salary too low for Singaporeans? Most Singaporeans that I had tried to employ would say so. A lot of them also had issues with working weekends and on shifts – they said not pro-family. More importantly they had a lot of ‘pride’, they would not tolerate the way Singaporeans treat retail staff – they think they are god. Most importantly, they didn’t stay long on the job, every 2 or 3 months I had to look for replacement.

A foreigner would give me none of these problems.

For you smart alec out there who said we should send all these foreigners home or impose a minimum wage, do you know what will happen next? I will have to close down because it just doesn’t make any more sense to continue – I run a business not charity. You might say who cares? But don’t forget my business is currently generating a monthly $100k worth of economic activity and there are many others who will be affected just like me.

So if you think a complex problem can be solved by sending the foreigners home or with your vote, think again.
54) Ray on July 7th, 2009 8.47 pm Well that’s because you’re talking about the existing system are you not? You’re working within this system and saying that the complex system can’t be solved. Of course it can’t be solved. The system itself is NOT set up to be solved, it maintains the status quo or ‘improves’ it to the detriment of empployees and employers.
55) Lop on July 7th, 2009 9.14 pm #54

Sure whatever it is I’m not saying it’s good or perfect system. What I’m saying is if you want to abandon the current system, make sure you have something to replace it.

You don’t quit your job unless you are pretty sure you can find a better one right?
56) Terence on July 7th, 2009 9.41 pm 53) Lop

If you think that getting cheap foreign workers is the solution, let me ask will your profits increase if you can get free workers, or will your landlord increase your rent by the same amount you save? I believe you already know the answer.

In fact, it is bad for businesses like yours when many Singaporeans are earning a pittance and they don’t have extra money to spend. The foreign workers are going to save up the bulk of their salary and send them home.

The real solution is a minimum wage. Your salary expenses may go up, but because you cannot price your goods higher, the landlords will have no choice but to lower their rent. If they don’t lower their rent, no one will rent their stores because no one can make a profit. The book “The Undercover Economist” has explained this effect.

The real beneficiaries of the influx of cheap foreign workers are landlords and big employers.
57) lips on July 7th, 2009 9.54 pm Some thoughts:

1. Wages are indeed depressed in the service sector, especially in retail outlets. The lack of a minimum wage definitely is a factor that makes it harder for employers to feel compelled to pay higher salaries. Singaporeans won’t take the jobs because they don’t pay enough, so foreigners naturally fill this gap.

2. That said, even if employers did want to pay higher salaries, they can’t. Why?

3. The main issue are rental costs of running a retail shop. In suntec, or any prime downtown location, rental rates per square foot can range from (if you’re lucky) $38 to $60 or $70. In a typical 1000 sq foot shop, that would be $60,000 a MONTH just in rental. Add the negligible salaries of 3 employees, let’s say it turns up to $65,000 cost per month, not including utilities, loss of stock, other incidentals, etc

4. In order just to justify the shops existence, a shop must earn around $2000 a day. Can our consumption as Singaporeans justify that?

5. We are not a consumption based society. We like to save. Private Consumption makes up around 39% of our GDP, and in other nations such as Hong Kong it is 60%
(See here http://www.adb.org/Documents/Books/ADO/2009/SIN.pdf — I am not sure about the actual magnitudes of figures, but the fact is that we consume much less than our counterparts in Hong Kong. This has been exacerbated by the recession and loss of wealth people have felt since property prices have dropped)

6. No shop or company is in business just to “get by”. They want to make money. This is itself is not bad, and I think the argument that employers are chiefly responsible for this situation is wrong.

7. Employers keep people employed, and that’s how wealth gets distributed to the people, through jobs an salaries. How well or efficiently this distribution happens depends on business conditions, which is largely determined by the government and what they do.

7. Can rental rates be lowered? Well, Capitaland owns much of the land shopping centres are built on. Who owns Capitaland? Ah, it’s government-linked, and Temasek has a share.

So now the picture is clearer. A large extent of the situation is due to government interference in the private sector. This drives up business costs, and coupled with our already-low private consumption and lack of labour protection laws makes it unattrative to hire locals, EVEN IF businesses wanted to.

How to solve it?

1. Get the government out of owning and profiting of land in Singapore. GLCs running land plots artificially inflate the prices beyond its worth, and create a bubble. They also have the staying power to keep prices high without cutting them. If the govt should be involved, their mandate should be to keep prices LOWER to aid businesses, NOT to enrich themselves from it.

2. Have minimum wage laws to equalise the playing field. This allows Singaporeans to be hired, AND doesn’t exploit foreigners for cheap labour. Everyone wins.

3. Increase consumption. This is by far the hardest. How? I have no clue.

Just some random thoughts. Again, I think to place the blame squarely at the feet of employers isn’t really looking at the whole picture. The entire

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
May I add.

Through Temasick and it's Govt Link Company, they are shafting down the throat at all of us.

Head I win tail you lose.

What can business do when GLC group of company have the staying power of keeping the rentals up even during the worst of recession? There's is only one way out, to employ cheap FT labour and bring down their cost!

In this case, the government will end up collecting even more levy.:biggrin::biggrin:

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can a typical Singaporean with a HDB mortgage afford to take on a job at $900 a month? Take away transport cost and meals, how much will he have left to spend for himself and his family, let alone pay his bills and mortgage?

Foreign labour is not the problem. It is the depression of wages that is the culprit. It has denigrated the dignity of labour and retail work. Because of this, no Singaporean will take on these kind of jobs firstly because of the low pay which cannot pay his bills. Because the wage cannot pay his bills, they tend to look down on such work because it gives them no dignity. It's a vicious circle.

You can let foreigners in, but pay them Singaporean wages. That way, Singaporeans will still be competitive in their own country.

It's that simple.

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Agree with Glaringly & motuiti

All this are cause by our goverment, everthing they are in control, like it or not. Hope the next GE they get it.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Foreign labour is not the problem. It is the depression of wages that is the culprit. It has denigrated the dignity of labour and retail work. Because of this, no Singaporean will take on these kind of jobs firstly because of the low pay which cannot pay his bills. Because the wage cannot pay his bills, they tend to look down on such work because it gives them no dignity. It's a vicious circle.

You can let foreigners in, but pay them Singaporean wages. That way, Singaporeans will still be competitive in their own country.

It's that simple.

So you want to pay the bangla laborer and domestic maid Singaporean wages?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
People don't understand how dire the situation is when a single party can control both wealth and political power

Imagine if Mdm Ho stays on as Temasek's headwoman and continues to make bad bets with our reserves...? She could have ruined the whole country in just ONE recession.

Only a 2-party system can work: Let one party manage aggressive growth, and the other take a more conservative stance.

motuiti

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, pay them what an average reasonable Singaporean would expect to earn in order to pay his bills and feed his family. If you pay a decent wage, then Singaporeans will compete with them and take the jobs.

I stand by my statement that is the depression of wages which leads to the denigration of labour. When a man can't earn enough from a job to pay for his basic needs, then he cannot provide for himself and loses his dignity. And when a man has lost his dignity, people look at him and his job, and they in turn look down on what he does and very soon everyone will think that there is on dignity in working in construction/ factories etc.

Foreign labour was brought in because the Singapore workforce was not big enough to fill all the positions in construction and production jobs. When the wages were lowered, the Singaporeans in those positions left. It's a case of business being exploitative, and very soon the wage structure became entrenched.

I am still skeptical of the classic MOM line that Singaporeans are fussy and refuse to take certain jobs, and I have argued with several HR managers who parrot this phrase to me.

When you are broke and desperate, why would you say no to work? The only reason you would do so is because the wages won't pay your bills. And why would you look down on certain jobs? Because they can't pay enough for you to make a decent living.

If you can provide for a family at $900 a month in Singapore, then I'm sure there will be many takers for such jobs. Otherwise, Singaporeans will continue to shun jobs which cannot provide for them and their families.

Has anybody ever done a budget breakdown of a typical 4 member family living in a 4 room flat and then see if they can make ends meet on $900 a month?

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, we do. Then the construction industry will hire the
more productive Singaporeans as the wages are the same,
there are no cost savings in hiring the unskilled bangla
labourers.

If we pay our maids well, more locals will become domestic
helpers. We can also do away with having them stay in.
8 hours a day is more than enough to clean a household.

This will in turn solve the unemployment of Singaporean
citizens at its root.

How wrong can we be if we choose not to exploit others
for our gain?

If a business cannot survive because of higher labour
cost, then such business will lose initially. If no one
pays the landlords a min of $25 per sq feet, then rental
has to come down.

A 500 sq feet retail space cost $12500. Reducing it by
25% will free up $3125 to pay the 3 assistants of the
person who complained about minimum wage. They
will now get almost $2000 each, enabling them to have
sufficient for the family and instill some sense of pride
in their jobs. This will lead to more people taking up such
jobs and do their best in the service and retail industry.

Otherwise, landlords will make money at the expense of
people, foreigners or locals alike.

Do we want to go back to the feudal system where landowners
do nothing but collect their share of the produce without any work?
How does it benefit people of SIngapore in general, when the
landlords are the ones who makes all the money?

Who is capable of being the landlord here in Singapore?

Do not always believe when it is often repaeated:
Minimum wage will lead to inflation. Inflation will
be around, with or without minimum wage.

Last edited:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, we do. Then the construction industry will hire the
more productive Singaporeans as the wages are the same,
there are no cost savings in hiring the unskilled bangla
labourers.

If we pay our maids well, more locals will become domestic
helpers. We can also do away with having them stay in.
8 hours a day is more than enough to clean a household.

This will in turn solve the unemployment of Singaporean
citizens at its root.

How wrong can we be if we choose not to exploit others
for our gain?

Very good. 2 unintended consequences I would like to point out with minimum wage.

1. I find it very difficult to imagine Singaporeans working as domestic maids, road sweepers and labourers. Its the stigma that comes with these jobs. Be that as it may the only way I see it is to make the pay attractive for these jobs.

And who bears these costs? Pay road sweepers $2000 a month and your conservancy charges goes up significantly. Alternatively the govt can raise taxes to those on par with countries that have minimum wage laws, like UK and Australia.

2. Domestic maids do more than just clean up the house. You typical household is a dual income household where both the husband and wife works. The maid looks after the kids, prepares the meals and perhaps look after the aged grandparent. I've even seen maids washing the master's car.

But the point is this. You have DUAL income families simply because maids are cheap. Pay them Singaporean level wages and you destroy the DUAL income family. It makes no economic sense for say the wife to go to work and her pay goes towards paying for the maid. In the end you have families not wanting maids simply because they can't afford too. Can your typical with the high mortgage and household expenses survive on a SINGLE income family with one sole breadwinner? As it is it takes 2 these days to service the mortgage.

Or should we restore the CPF back to 1970s level?

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not always believe when it is often repaeated:
Minimum wage will lead to inflation. Inflation will
be around, with or without minimum wage.

I guess that is because nominal wages increase (for example min wage enforcement) is but only one component in inflation.

In Singapore's case that inflation will be real and have wide ranging unintended consequences.

Most of the essential services SG can do without are performed by cheap and exploited labour. They will become the largest beneficiaries of min wage. A maid currently earning $300/mth will see hear pay jump by 5 times at least up to $1500/mth.

Construction workers will see a their pay go from $10/day to $5/hr at least. Cost of construction goes up.. cost of apartments and rentals go up as well. Or the developer will simply put off investing in malls and apartments as it will not economical to do so.

Then you have a situation of tenants and buyers competing for existing infrastructure driving costs up until the developers see it worthwhile to invest again. Supply and Demand.

So the maid that cost $300 is now costing $1500. Same service but 5 times the cost. The construction worker from $10/day to $5/hr. Who pays for this? Tenants and buyers. Road sweepers will be paid $2000 from $700 per month. Who pays? The household in the form of increased maintenance or conservancy fees.

Singaporeans on the other hand working in offices will bear the brunt of all these increases as they salary is not going to go up. At $2.5k on avg salary per month they do not benefit from min wage.

We have already created a bubble in Singapore. Its only a question of how we burst it. Either way the Singaporean is going to suffer. Min wage is not some magic instrument.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB has been reaping obscene profits since the 90s due to the low cost involved in building flats and the booming property market. Private property developers likewise. A fair pay structure is overdue and necessary to ensure certain sections of the populace are not marginalised. Costs have been escalating at an alarming rate while salaries have remained stagnant or plummetted for the past decade. Something doesn't quite add up here. Lastly, if an 18 million loss in Lehmann bonds didn't cause a dent in the funds kitty of Jurong Town Council, a raise in conservancy charges cannot be justified due to an overwhelming surplus.

Construction workers will see a their pay go from $10/day to $5/hr at least. Cost of construction goes up.. cost of apartments and rentals go up as well. Or the developer will simply put off investing in malls and apartments as it will not economical to do so.

Then you have a situation of tenants and buyers competing for existing infrastructure driving costs up until the developers see it worthwhile to invest again. Supply and Demand.

So the maid that cost $300 is now costing $1500. Same service but 5 times the cost. The construction worker from $10/day to $5/hr. Who pays for this? Tenants and buyers. Road sweepers will be paid $2000 from $700 per month. Who pays? The household in the form of increased maintenance or conservancy fees.

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I add.

Through Temasick and it's Govt Link Company, they are shafting down the throat at all of us.

Head I win tail you lose.

What can business do when GLC group of company have the staying power of keeping the rentals up even during the worst of recession? There's is only one way out, to employ cheap FT labour and bring down their cost!

In this case, the government will end up collecting even more levy.:biggrin::biggrin:

You are wrong!!!

No matter HEAD or TAIL, the PAP government win. And it always win big time.

All this GLC crap is always link to the PAP.

Unless Singapore can be like Xinjiang in China, where a revolt happens among the people against the government, then you will confirm see changes to all this bullshit crap by the PAP government. Now everything is going down including our salaries(but not the PAP ministers salaries), yet the rental of spaces is still quite high. It's a illusion created by the PAP government and yet we cant do anything about it.

And about the revolt in Singapore, it will never happen! We are being brainwashed for too long until we are so weak and need to be lead by the nose from the PAP government in doing almost everything.

We are soft and weak so that's why we are always an easy target for bullying by our neighboring countries like Malaysia and Indonesia.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB has been reaping obscene profits since the 90s due to the low cost involved in building flats and the booming property market. Private property developers likewise.

Like I said cheap and exploited foreign labour which we still continue to exploit today. Everyone made out like bandits from the HDB, developers, constructions companies, speculators and home buyers who flipped or sold their property and not to mention en-bloc owners. I can't recall anyone talking about a fair wage structure or min wages back then.

A fair pay structure is overdue and necessary to ensure certain sections of the populace are not marginalised.

What would you propose? It is well and good for the person who gets a fatter paycheck. For those who have to fork out the increased costs its a different matter. They are likely to ultimately pass the difference back to the consumer.

Costs have been escalating at an alarming rate while salaries have remained stagnant or plummetted for the past decade. Something doesn't quite add up here. Lastly, if an 18 million loss in Lehmann bonds didn't cause a dent in the funds kitty of Jurong Town Council, a raise in conservancy charges cannot be justified due to an overwhelming surplus.

Since when had stat boards or GLCs or town councils ever needed justification to hike prices? Every stat board or GLC is sitting on a surplus.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
In fact, it is bad for businesses like yours when many Singaporeans are earning a pittance and they don’t have extra money to spend. The foreign workers are going to save up the bulk of their salary and send them home.

What the person who wrote this para forgot to mention is if you impose minimum wage the average Singaporean employer is going to see a 4-5 times increase in the cost of the domestic maid as she will have to be paid minimum wage under the law.

The real solution is a minimum wage. Your salary expenses may go up, but because you cannot price your goods higher, the landlords will have no choice but to lower their rent. If they don’t lower their rent, no one will rent their stores because no one can make a profit. The book “The Undercover Economist” has explained this effect.

So we impose the min wage and letting the tenant get squeezed in the middle. He has to pay the landlord plus absorb the increase in labor cost without passing the increased cost to business as he is not allowed to price his good higher.

What will happen is 20-30% of the business will fold up and put more Singaporeans on the street before landlords start to reduce rentals and about 10% hopefully come back.

Minimum wage only applies when you are in a job.

I sincerely hope "The Undercover Economist" is not a textbook used in Singapore schools.

khunking

Alfrescian
Loyal
The developers are the ones who should work out a fair wage structure since they are the ones who benefit directly from the cheap labour exploited and other fringe benefits that come with the modern slave trade.

Like I mentioned earlier, costs are escalating and salaries have not not been adjusted accordingly to justify the costs.

It's greed at work here.

Lastly, the incumbent should check their greed level and make sure it does not exceed their self respect. Voters beware.

Like I said cheap and exploited foreign labour which we still continue to exploit today. Everyone made out like bandits from the HDB, developers, constructions companies, speculators and home buyers who flipped or sold their property and not to mention en-bloc owners. I can't recall anyone talking about a fair wage structure or min wages back then.

What would you propose? It is well and good for the person who gets a fatter paycheck. For those who have to fork out the increased costs its a different matter. They are likely to ultimately pass the difference back to the consumer.

Since when had stat boards or GLCs or town councils ever needed justification to hike prices? Every stat board or GLC is sitting on a surplus.