• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Presidential Election 2023

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How the voters will vote (updated):

For Tharman Shanmugaratnam
PAP supporters
The establishment i.e. civil servants who depend on the PAP for their iron rice bowl
The labour unions members. The NTUC will announce its endorsement of Tharman as President.
Businessmen and professionals who do not want their businesses and jobs to be affected by political disruptions
Most Pioneer and Merdeka generations who voted for Lee Kuan Yew their whole lives.
About half of the women who object to Tan Kin Lian objectifying pretty woman
Half of the women who are not pretty
Half of the women who are jealous of Cybil Lau
The Indian voters
The other minority races: Malays, Eurasions, and Others

For Ng Kok Song
The pro-establishment but anti-PAP
Moderates and neutrals who do not want a pro-PAP nor an anti-PAP candidate
The remaining half of the women who object to Tan Kin Lian objectifying pretty woman and
also support Sybil Lau for being able to find such a rich sugar daddy
The other half of the women who are not pretty
Half the Chinese voters

For Tan Kin Lian
All who voted against the PAP
The anti-establishment
The anti-vaxers like Iris Koh
Supporters of Tan Chuan Jin and Cheng Li Hui
Those who are not satisfied with the government's handling of the Ridout bungalow (K Shanmugam and Vivian Balakrishnan)
and S Iswaran corruption probes
The other half of the women who are jealous of Cybil Lau
The sandwiched middle-class who are impacted by the cost of living
Those who lost their jobs or university places to foreign talents
All those who want to know the exact size of Singapore's reserves
All the chee ko peks who like to look at pretty girls
Half the Chinese voters

Spoilt votes
George Goh and his supporters

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tan Kin Lian takes down smear campaign allegations​

hztan230823.jpg

Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian speaking to the media before his visit to the ABC Brickworks Market and Food Centre on Aug 23. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
judith.png

Judith Tan
Correspondent

August 23, 2023

SINGAPORE - Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian on Wednesday withdrew assertions that he was the target of a smear campaign that drew attention to some of his past social media activities, but declined to discuss the issue.
Mr Tan, 75, had published a statement on his website and on Facebook on Tuesday morning that said criticism that he had objectified women in some Facebook posts was a concerted effort by an attack group “from a political party that is now backing my strongest opponent”.
The statement was later amended to remove this allegation, as well as another point that Mr Tan would consider his “top opponent... unfit to be the president of Singapore” if the opponent was involved in the smear campaign. Mr Tan did not say who he was referring to.
On Wednesday morning, the statement could no longer be found on Mr Tan’s website.
Also not found were Facebook posts he had made on Tuesday that said he rejected “allegations and insinuations” made by the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) and that the gender advocacy group had “lost the respect of many people, including me, for being involved in gutter politics”.
Aware had questioned whether the issuance of a certificate of eligibility for him to contest the election was tacit approval of behaviour that objectifies women.
During his walkabout at the ABC Brickworks Market and Food Centre on Wednesday, Mr Tan was asked about the deleted posts, but he declined to address the issue.

Instead, he spoke on what he believed was the soft power of the president’s office, drawing similarities with monarchies in other countries.
In countries with a king, queen, or sultan, the monarch’s role would be to convey “the feelings and aspirations” of the masses to the prime minister, he said.
He said that in Singapore, the president is elected by popular mandate “but after being elected he has to do the duty similar to, I think, a monarch”.

He added: “I may not be the monarch, but if I’m elected by 1 million people, (the) majority in this election, I will play that role, and that’s the role of a monarch.”
The former NTUC Income chief executive also addressed comments by “a law professor from a university” that he was pursuing an office that does not exist.
While Mr Tan did not say who he was referring to, Singapore Management University law don Eugene Tan had earlier told The Straits Times that voters must be clear that they are voting for a candidate whose campaign reflects faithfully the presidency’s roles and powers, and not “for an office that does not exist under the Constitution”.
Mr Tan said he is clear that he is running for the office of the president; that the Presidential Elections Committee (PEC) had issued him a certificate of eligibility; and that he had submitted a nomination as a candidate for the election and that his nomination was accepted by the returning officer for the election.
“I confirm I am pursuing an office that exists in the Constitution, and possibly the highest office in our land,” said Mr Tan on Wednesday.

He also reiterated that he does not intend to be an adversary to the elected government, and that he hoped to work in collaboration with the Government.
On Monday, following Aware’s statement, the PEC said that the issuance of a certificate allowing Mr Tan to contest the election did not amount to an endorsement of his social media posts.
“Any additional facts regarding a candidate which come to public attention after the candidate’s certificate has been issued, would be for the electorate’s consideration and assessment before casting their votes,” said the committee.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Candidates reminded not to mislead public on president’s role after Tan Kin Lian’s script edit remarks​

202308246030293520230824-ga39070.jpg

Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian speaking to the media during his visit to Senja Hawker Centre on Aug 24. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
osmondchia.png

Osmond Chia

Aug 24, 2023

SINGAPORE -The Elections Department (ELD) and the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) have pointed out inaccuracies in Mr Tan Kin Lian’s original presidential candidate broadcast script about the president’s role, as it reminded candidates not to mislead the public about the president’s duties.
On Thursday, ELD and IMDA said in a joint statement that Mr Tan’s original script had suggested that the president can provide guidance on the reserves’ investment strategies and influence government policy.
“After being notified of the inaccuracies, Mr Tan’s election agent had corrected them without objection,” said the release.
The statement came after Mr Tan had earlier on Thursday criticised IMDA for directing that three paragraphs of the script for his first presidential candidate broadcast be removed, and that he did “not agree with the decision but (had) no choice” but to relent.
All candidates, including Mr Tan, had signed a statutory declaration on their nomination papers to confirm that they had read the explanatory material on the President’s constitutional role, including the specific examples of what the President can and cannot do, said ELD and IMDA.
“The candidates also signed a voluntary undertaking on campaigning for the election in a manner that is dignified, decorous and consistent with the president’s position,” they added.
ELD and IMDA said: “We remind all candidates not to mislead the public about the president’s role.”

On Thursday morning, Mr Tan told reporters during a walkabout at Senja Hawker Centre at Bukit Panjang that IMDA had directed that he remove what he considered “the most important paragraphs of my campaign”.
Apart from how he intended to provide guidance on reserves investment, the three paragraphs mentioned cost of living, housing policy, and jobs.
“I consider (that) the IMDA does not have the authority to interpret the Constitution in their way, and ask for the statements to be removed,” he said. “I did not have time to argue about that and I removed these statements. I will deal with IMDA separately.“

On Tuesday, the three presidential candidates had declared in their nomination papers that they understand the role of the president under the Constitution, including that the president cannot publicly express any view on laws and Government policies except in matters related to the exercise of the president’s discretionary powers.
The candidates signed this declaration after they had read an explanatory note that sets out what the president can and cannot do.
For instance, the president can veto the expected long-term real rate of return proposed annually by the key statutory boards and key Government companies. But he cannot decide on investment policies of these investment entities.

On Thursday, Mr Tan also told the media that he had only one day to prepare and submit to IMDA the script of his broadcast, including vernacular translations.
“It was very rushed. How do you expect me, with many things to take care of with the campaign, to meet this requirement?” said Mr Tan. “It’s okay, I submitted.”
ELD and IMDA said in their statement that presidential candidates were informed of the timing of the broadcast and the rules on Aug 12, and were briefed on Aug 21.
The former NTUC Income chief executive added: “Some people suggested that I was misleading the people by promising them goals that I did not have the executive authority to deliver.
“I am not misleading the people. I had made it clear, in many statements, that I would be using the office of the president to convey to the government about the hardships faced by the people and about their aspirations.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Candidate broadcast​

I know how to be involved effectively without being disruptive: Presidential candidate Ng Kok Song​

des-pixnom019.jpg

Mr Ng Kok Song pledged to work constructively and impartially with the government of the day to further the interests of Singaporeans. ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO
jean_iau_0.png

Jean Iau

August 24, 2023

SINGAPORE - His experience growing the national reserves at GIC and having never joined any political party were two areas Mr Ng Kok Song stressed during his first presidential candidate broadcast on Thursday night.
The 75-year-old former chief investment officer of the sovereign wealth fund said in his 10-minute speech in English that he had spent his adult life building GIC as a world-class institution and steering it through many crises and complex economic realities.
He added that the time has come for the elected president to be one that is non-partisan and has not belonged to or been endorsed by any political party.
In line with his campaign slogan, United for our Future, Mr Ng said that the president is a symbol of unity for Singaporeans.
“We may have our differences of views and political affiliations, but differences must not become divisions in our society. There are many things we can do together as a society to help those in need and the underprivileged. We must stay united for the future.”
Here are five key takeaways from his speech:

1. Experience in safeguarding reserves​

Mr Ng echoed his Nomination Day speech on Tuesday in which he listed three of Singapore’s treasures.

PM-masthead.svg

Catch up on the news that everyone’s talking about
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy Policy and T&Cs.
Singapore’s reserves and national savings formed its first treasure, while the harmony between different races, religions and communities; and effective, corruption-free public administration were the second and third treasures.
While he said that the Government has done well in keeping these treasures safe so far, he questioned what would happen if something went wrong with Singapore’s governance.
Mr Ng noted that he had spent 45 years in public service investing Singapore’s reserves at GIC and the Monetary Authority of Singapore and leading the development of Singapore’s financial services industry through the creation of the Singapore International Monetary Exchange and Wealth Management Institute.

“I have spent my life building GIC as a world-class institution and steered the GIC through many crises and complex economic realities,” said Mr Ng.
“I will bring to bear the experience needed to safeguard our treasures and the commitment to build up Singapore’s institutional independence.”
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Presidential candidate broadcast: Ng Kok Song’s speech in full
Countdown to PE2023: All you need to know

2. Non-partisan candidate who can check the Government and knows how it works​

Mr Ng, who has never been a member of any political party, emphasised that the elected president must be above the partisan politics of Parliament.
He pointed out that Singapore had thus far elected presidents who have been affiliated to or been endorsed by the ruling political party.
“An ‘ownself check ownself’ system is not reliable. We need an external check functioning like an independent external auditor in good corporate governance.”
He pledged to work constructively and impartially with the government of the day to further the interests of Singaporeans.
“I will not engage in megaphone diplomacy but neither will I shy away from asking important questions, however difficult those may be. I understand how the government machinery works, and I know how to be involved effectively without being disruptive,” he said.

3. A president who unites​

Mr Ng said that the president is the symbol of unity for Singaporeans.
He advocated doing well, doing right and doing good for Singaporeans.
This encompasses resilience of mind and body; doing right and living by a code of integrity; and doing good by building a more caring and kinder society.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Ng Kok Song not accepting donations, funds presidential campaign from personal savings
I am standing for president to protect three national treasures: Ng Kok Song

4. Giving voice to young, old and vulnerable communities​

On doing good, Mr Ng said that he said that he had advocated for and contributed to palliative care, the disability sector, children’s charities, and animal welfare groups over the years.
“I pledge to give my voice to the youth, to the elderly and to the vulnerable communities so that no one may be left behind in Singapore’s progress,”

5. Expanding Singapore on the international stage​

Mr Ng said he will use his connections to help Singapore expand its network globally.
He said: “Over the course of my career, I have engaged many government leaders, corporate executives and investors from around the world.
“These are valuable global networks that I can leverage on in Singapore’s interests.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Candidate broadcast​

I’ll never waver from purpose, independence of mind: Presidential candidate Tharman Shanmugaratnam​

des-pixnom015.jpg

Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam pledged to give active attention to the traditional and longstanding roles of the president. ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO
Kok Yufeng, Correspondent

Aug 24, 2023

SINGAPORE - In his first candidate broadcast of the presidential election, former senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam sought to emphasise his independence of mind and the need to have respect for all – the theme of his campaign.
Addressing voters in English on Thursday evening, Mr Tharman, 66, pledged to give active attention to the traditional and longstanding roles of the president, by serving as a unifying figure at home and advancing Singapore’s interests abroad.
He said he would also draw on his knowledge and reputation for independent thinking, to safeguard the nation’s reserves and the integrity of its public service.
He noted that now, more than before, Singapore must deepen its solidarity.
“I believe I can now best serve Singapore not in politics, but as your president, standing above politics,” he added.

1. Go beyond government policies​

Mr Tharman said the more than two decades he spent working on the ground has deepened his commitment to making Singapore a fairer, more compassionate and inclusive society.

However, while government policies are important in achieving this, he said it goes much deeper than that.
Highlighting seniors, caregivers, mature workers and young families, Mr Tharman said it is about knowing that if one group of people loses hope, all Singaporeans will have less hope as well.
He added: “It is about the respect and friendship we extend to each other, regardless of our background and educational achievements; regardless of race or religion, or any other differences.”

2. Diversity, not division​

Mr Tharman said the elected presidency will become more important as the challenges that Singapore faces will grow – reiterating a point he made during his thank-you speech and subsequent media interview on Nomination Day.
Painting a picture of an increasingly divided and unstable world, he noted that global crises are already breaking out more often, and they will test all countries, especially smaller ones such as Singapore.
Domestically, Mr Tharman said the Republic is becoming a democracy with more diverse views, which is “inevitable and healthy”.
“But our real challenge as Singaporeans is to ensure that this diversity of views does not lead us to a more divided society, like many others.”

3. Culture of respect​

Mr Tharman said there is a need to strengthen the culture of respect for all Singaporeans in years to come.
Noting that this cannot be achieved from the top down, he said his mission is to support initiatives on the ground.
He called on Singaporeans to respect:
  • Every skill and job
  • Those who start life with a disadvantage, those with special needs, and anyone who needs a second or third chance
  • Senior citizens, and extend care and friendship to the growing number of people who live alone
  • All who need support to preserve their mental well-being
  • Homemakers, including those who want to return to the workplace after some years of looking after the family
  • Different views and political leanings
  • Talents in the arts and sports
  • Different faiths

4. Promote S’pore’s interests and fulfil constitutional duties​

In an increasingly turbulent world, Mr Tharman said Singapore must never become just another small country.
“If you elect me as president, I will also build on both my experience in Government and my international standing to promote Singapore’s interests, and to project our voice of reason,” he added.

He said he would be thorough and impartial in fulfilling the constitutional duties of the president as well.
This is with regard to keeping the public service honest and first-rate, as well as the prudent use of the reserves, which Mr Tharman said give Singapore significant advantage in a profoundly uncertain future and must be made to last.
“In holding the ‘second key’ to our reserves, I will ensure they serve the interests of today’s generation of adults still working or retired, as well as the young who do not yet have a vote, and future generations of Singaporeans,” he said.

5. Independence of mind​

Summing up, Mr Tharman said he will not only bring deep expertise and long experience to the presidency, but also an independence of mind that he has held onto throughout his life, and his belief that Singapore can be a fairer and better society.
“They are what I have been known for, both within and outside government,” he added.
Recounting how he made his way up the public service as a non-scholar to the highest levels, Mr Tharman said his path has never been predictable or assured.
“While the president stands apart from the Government, and does not make policies, I will never waver from this purpose in my life and independence of mind as I fulfil my duties.”
He added: “I am an optimist in our future.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Candidate broadcast​

Grant me strong mandate to provide independent perspective: Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian​

des-pixnom001.jpg

Mr Tan Kin Lian said if elected, he will perform the two key duties of the president diligently, honestly and to the best of his abilities. ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO
AK_csf_180522.png

Chin Soo Fang
Senior Correspondent

Aug 24, 2023

SINGAPORE - Presidential hopeful Tan Kin Lian said he is participating in the election to give Singaporeans a chance to choose a president who is independent of the ruling Government.
He asked voters to give him a strong mandate so he can provide an independent perspective, as he acts in collaboration with the ruling Government to deal with the challenges of the future.
The 75-year-old former NTUC Income chief was speaking to voters at the first scheduled 10-minute presidential candidate broadcast on Thursday.
His message was broadcast across 19 free-to-air television and radio channels covering the four official languages.
Mr Tan launched his presidential bid with the theme Bring Back Trust, Give Us Hope on Aug 11. The second-time presidential candidate took 4.91 per cent of the votes at the 2011 election.

1. Perform presidential duties without being an adversary of the Government​

Mr Tan said if elected, he will perform the two key duties of the president diligently, honestly and to the best of his abilities – reiterating his speech after being formally nominated as a candidate on Nomination Day.

The two duties as set out in the Constitution are to safeguard Singapore’s past reserves and to protect the integrity of the public service.
Mr Tan also emphasised that he does not intend to be an adversary to the elected Government, and instead hopes to work with the authorities to fulfil his duties.
“With the knowledge and experience from 30 years as the chief executive officer of NTUC Income Insurance Co-operative, I am confident that I will be able to perform these two key duties well.”

2. Ensure prudent investment and use of past reserves​

On the first duty, Mr Tan said the Republic’s past reserves comprise a large sum “that probably runs into several hundreds of billion dollars, maybe more”.
It is vitally important that the reserves are invested soundly to produce a good rate of return over the long term and are not exposed to high risk, he added.
Besides ensuring that the reserves are prudently invested, Mr Tan said he intends to work with the Government to make certain that the money is used wisely for the benefit of current and future generations.

3. Key public service appointments to include those with practical experience​

On the second duty, Mr Tan said it is important that Singapore has the right people at the top levels of its public service.
Different types of people – both those with talents and those with practical experience – are needed to form a good team, and he said he wants to see individuals who have gained knowledge and practical experience over many years of dedicated service, be given the opportunity to advance to positions of leadership.
“I will be influenced by these factors in approving the recommendations of the people to be appointed into the top levels of our public service,” he said.

4. Rekindle spirit of unity and pride that Singaporeans felt 50 years ago​

Mr Tan said his vision is to build a nation where the people are united and live in harmony.
People will be cohesive when they feel financially secure and are able to look beyond their immediate concerns and think about the greater good of our society, he said.
“This was the spirit of unity and pride that Singaporeans felt 50 years ago,” he added. “We need to rekindle that spirit.”

5. Pledge to stay in touch with ordinary people​

Mr Tan said he knows “the hardship and aspirations” of Singaporeans. Having come from a humble background, he said he has been in close touch with ordinary people throughout his life.
If elected as president, Mr Tan said he intends to keep it that way to best fulfil the duties of the office.
“I believe that I can perform my duty best, if I am in touch with the pulse and heartbeat of the people.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tan Kin Lian plays the nationalistic card.
Quote: "Tan Kin Lian said on Friday morning that Singaporeans may prefer to “have a chance” to have a president and First Lady who were both born in Singapore."

Commenting on others’ tactical statements not my style, people can judge for themselves: Tharman​

202308254001548684df5440-ba00-4f48-8be8-72a89f812fc7.jpg

Presidential candidate Tharman Shanmugaratnam and his wife Jane Ittogi greeting patrons at Amoy Street Food Centre on Aug 25. ST PHOTO: SHINTARO TAY
Syarafana.png

Syarafana Shafeeq
UPDATED

August 25, 2023

SINGAPORE - Presidential candidate Tharman Shanmugaratnam said he would rather not comment on tactical statements made by other candidates, and prefers to let people judge for themselves.
He was responding to the media, who had asked for his comments on fellow candidate Tan Kin Lian. Mr Tan said on Friday morning that Singaporeans may prefer to “have a chance” to have a president and First Lady who were both born in Singapore.
During his walkabout at Amoy Street Food Centre on Friday, Mr Tharman pointed out that the life story of Mr George Goh, who was disqualified from the presidential race, is a good example.
He said: “The fact that he was born in Malaysia... started off poor, worked very hard, came to Singapore and succeeded... It has always been the Singapore story.”
Commenting on any particular statements by other candidates is not his style, he added. “My life is an open book, everyone knows me.”
On the topic of supporting civil society and community efforts, the former senior minister said it is important to build confidence in those who are underprivileged.
Mr Tharman said: “Confidence doesn’t come naturally. When you are poor and disadvantaged, you cannot underestimate how people can lose confidence and feel that they being looked down upon.

“So, earn their trust, respect them and help them to develop themselves.”
This has been the passion for his wife and him for many years, and he now wants to scale that up, he added.
“It is not easy to overcome a disadvantaged background. You have to stay with people through their lives and give them real confidence in themselves, I believe strongly in that.”
When asked about his campaign budget, Mr Tharman said it is well within the Elections Department’s requirements.
“The good thing about Singapore is that we have, if not the tightest, one of the tightest rules anywhere in the world on spending money in politics. We should stick to that.”
He said that his is a low budget, and he had spent “much less” on social media compared with some other candidates.
When asked about a Facebook post speculating that there was a hidden message in his “ong lai” or pineapple campaign symbol – in other words, that he could be the second coming of former president Ong Teng Cheong – Mr Tharman said he had a high regard for Singapore’s fifth president.
“But you know, this is the hungry ghost festival period. I’m very careful about invoking spirits, let’s give respect to all our ancestors and not mess around.”
On how he hopes to stand out from other candidates, Mr Tharman said: “I’m not a newcomer, I’m a known entity. What you see is what you get.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tan Cheng Bock endorses Tan Kin Lian’s presidential bid​

wgt-tcbtkltsj-270323.jpg

(From left) Mr Tan Jee Say, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian and Dr Tan Cheng Bock at People’s Park Food Centre on Aug 27, 2023. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG
AK_csf_180522.png

Chin Soo Fang
Senior Correspondent

Aug 27, 2023

SINGAPORE – Former presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock, 83, has thrown his support behind one-time rival Tan Kin Lian’s bid for the Istana.
At a press conference on Sunday morning, Dr Tan said he was endorsing Mr Tan’s campaign in his personal capacity, as they are “comrades who share a common vision (of) an independent president”.
Dr Tan, who is chairman of the Progress Singapore Party (PSP), said voters should not “get distracted by many, many issues”, and should focus on the the purpose of the election.
This is to find an independent person for the Istana that will take care of the reserves and ensure that the country is run by people of quality, he said.
“Somebody who’s with the establishment, I always suspect that this collusion, together with the establishment people, maybe makes them very uncomfortable if they choose to take decisions that is contrary to what the establishment people want,” said Dr Tan, without elaborating.
Dr Tan is the second former presidential candidate to stand with Mr Tan Kin Lian, 75, who has also been endorsed by Mr Tan Jee Say.
In the 2011 presidential election, Dr Tan garnered 34.85 per cent of the vote, Mr Tan Jee Say secured 25.04 per cent, while Mr Tan Kin Lian received 4.91 per cent. Dr Tony Tan won with 35.2 per cent of the votes and became Singapore’s seventh president.

At the press conference, Mr Tan Kin Lian was asked if he planned to appoint both Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Tan Jee Say to the Council of Presidential Advisors (CPA), should he become president.
The CPA advises the president on the exercise of his custodial powers. Of its eight members, three are appointed at the discretion of the president, three are appointed by the prime minister, and one each is appointed by the chief justice and chairman of the Public Service Commission.
Mr Tan said he was quite sure that both his one-time competitors “share the same vision of an effective independent president”.

“They will be excellent candidates to the council,” he said. “I’ve not asked them this question yet, so we have to wait for Sept 1, for me to be elected.”
Prior to the press conference, Dr Tan accompanied Mr Tan Kin Lian at a walkabout at People’s Park Food Centre on Sunday.
At one point, Mr Tan Kin Lian was flanked by both Dr Tan and Mr Tan Jee Say, as they waved to the press and well-wishers at the food centre.
Dr Tan is the latest opposition politician to back Mr Tan Kin Lian’s presidential campaign. Others include his seconder Lim Tean, founder of People’s Voice (PV), and Mr Prabu Ramachandran of PV, his principal election agent.
On Sunday, former PSP member Brad Bowyer and Ms Michelle Lee, formerly from the Red Dot United political party, were also spotted at the walkabout.
Mr Tan Jee Say, who founded now-defunct political party Singaporeans First, is Mr Tan Kin Lian’s proposer at this presidential election. Mr Leong Sze Hian and Dr Michael Fang, both PV candidates at the last general election, are respectively an assenter and a volunteer with Mr Tan Kin Lian’s campaign team.
wgt-poster-270323_3.jpg

A poster bearing the faces of (from left) Dr Tan Cheng Bock, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian and Mr Tan Jee Say seen at Chin Swee Road on Aug 27. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

On whether being backed by two prominent opposition figures here - Dr Tan and Mr Tan Jee Say - could throw into question his independence as president, Mr Tan Kin Lian said he intends to be an independent president who takes into account all input.
“I do treasure all inputs from other sectors of the people that convey the right information about what is happening on the ground,” he said.
Mr Tan also pointed to his record of expressing an independent view on government policies as a private citizen.
“So the fact that I’m independent in my thinking is not an issue,” he said.
During the press conference, Dr Tan was asked what he thought of Mr Tan Kin Lian’s campaign so far, including Mr Tan’s allegations that he was the target of a smear campaign by his opponents and the ruling party, and the controversy over Mr Tan’s Facebook posts about “pretty girls”.
Dr Tan said “gutter politics have been issues (that are) very defamatory to the individual’s standing”.
He noted that candidates in this election went through a stringent qualification process and were issued certificates of eligibility by the Presidential Elections Committee to show they have the financial ability to be president, and that they are characters of good standing.
“This is an approval stamp by the committee in-charge, so what else can we say?” said Dr Tan. “Then you better question the authorities who approve the candidates how come there are still slip-ups, and so on.”
wgt-tklpresser-270323.jpg

(From left) Mr Tan Jee Say, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian and Dr Tan Cheng Bock pose after the press conference held on Aug 27. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
Dr Tan was a People’s Action Party (PAP) Member of Parliament who held the Ayer Rajah seat for 26 years from 1980 to 2006, when his stronghold was absorbed into West Coast GRC.
He announced his second presidential bid in 2017 but failed due to the Government’s decision to reserve the election for Malay candidates. He also did not meet the criteria of helming a company with $500 million in shareholder equity.
Dr Tan then founded the PSP in 2019. At the 2020 General Election, he contested West Coast GRC as part of a five-member team with Mr Jeffrey Khoo, Ms Hazel Poa, Mr Leong Mun Wai and Mr Nadarajah Loganathan.
The PSP team secured 48.31 per cent of the votes in West Coast GRC against a PAP team comprising Mr S Iswaran, who was then Minister for Communications and Information, Mr Desmond Lee, who was Minister for Social and Family Development, Ms Foo Mee Har, Mr Ang Wei Neng and Ms Rachel Ong.
Asked whether he was worried that endorsing Mr Tan Kin Lian would impact the PSP’s performance at the next general election, Dr Tan said there is always a risk in every decision.
But he believes that Singaporean voters will view how the PSP and its two Non-Constituency MPs have performed, and vote accordingly at the next general election, which must be held by 2025.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Opposition politicians backing Tan Kin Lian ‘dishonour the presidency’: Ng Kok Song​

wgt-nkshawkerhandshake-270323.jpg

Presidential candidate Ng Kok Song told reporters during a visit to Tampines Round Market and Food Centre that it is a problem when presidential candidates are being endorsed by political parties. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
isabelle%20Byline%20Template.png

Isabelle Liew

Aug 27, 2023

SINGAPORE - Opposition party politicians are “ganging up” to support presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian, said Mr Ng Kok Song, calling it a “very unhealthy and worrisome development”.
Speaking to the media during a visit to Chinatown Complex on Sunday afternoon, Mr Ng, 75, said: “They are dragging the presidential election into gutter politics. I think that’s quite shameful. How can you dishonour the presidency by making this presidential election into gutter politics? We should not dishonour the office of the president.”
He was commenting on former presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock, 83, who on Sunday morning announced that he was endorsing Mr Tan for the presidency. Mr Tan Jee Say, who founded now-defunct political party Singaporeans First, is also supporting Mr Tan Kin Lian at this presidential election.
Both Dr Tan and Mr Tan Jee Say, who contested the presidential elections in 2011, said they were supporting Mr Tan Kin Lian in their personal capacities, and not as opposition politicians.
Mr Ng, a former chief investment officer at sovereign wealth fund GIC, said: “What happened this morning is going against the spirit of the constitution.”
He added that the presidential election should not be politicised, and that Mr Tan is confused between a presidential election and a general election.
But he also noted that not all opposition parties are involved in the polarisation of the election.

”I think the people of Singapore will begin to realise that you do not want to vote for a candidate who is going to be manipulated by several opposition parties who are supporting you.
“We must prevent the presidency from being manipulated by any political party.”
Mr Ng had earlier told reporters during a visit to Tampines Round Market and Food Centre on Sunday morning that it is a problem when presidential candidates are being endorsed by political parties, stressing that he is the only non-partisan candidate running for president.

Fellow candidate, former senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, is “endorsed by the Government, by the People’s Action Party”, he added.
Mr Ng said: “It is very important for us to safeguard the integrity of the public service because you do not want a president who is beholden to any political party, you do not want a president who can be manipulated to serve the political agenda of any political party.”
On Saturday, Mr Tharman had stated that he is not endorsed by any political party, and that it would have been a pity if former president Ong Teng Cheng and Dr Tan, who were both PAP members, were ruled out from consideration because of past affiliations.
Asked if he would be changing his campaign strategy following the endorsement of Mr Tan by Dr Tan and Mr Tan Jee Say, Mr Ng said it reinforces the message that the presidential candidate should be non-partisan.
wgt-nkspatrons-270323_8.jpg

Mr Ng said the presidential election should not be politicised. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

Mr Ng, who was in public service for 45 years and held posts at GIC and the Monetary Authority of Singapore, said despite being the underdog, he had come forward to give Singaporeans a chance to vote.
He also wanted to encourage capable, trustworthy people who do not have political affiliations, to contest in the election.
“I think this is very important to us in order to safeguard our reserves,” he added.
As a “non-partisan candidate”, Mr Ng said he has faced setbacks such as civic and business organisations rejecting his requests to visit.
wgt-nksfiance-270323_8.jpg

Mr Ng was accompanied by his fiancee Sybil Lau at Chinatown Complex where he handed out campaign flyers on Aug 27, 2023. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG
He said he decided not to put up physical banners and posters as he lacked the manpower resources to do so, and because he wanted to be environmentally friendly.
Mr Ng also cautioned against using the term “establishment” as that would refer to people in public service. Instead, people should use the word partisan or non-partisan, he said.
Mr Ng was accompanied by his fiancee Sybil Lau, 45, at the food centre on Sunday, where he handed out his campaign flyers to stallholders and residents.
Asked to comment on remarks made by Mr Tan, who on Saturday said it would be better having a president appointed by Parliament as the current system meant his hands were tied on issues, Mr Ng said: “I don’t think we should get into a hypothetical discussion. We should just play by the rules as they are.”
wgt-nksselfie-270323_4.jpg

Mr Ng said he decided not to put up physical posters due to lack of manpower and because he wanted to be environmentally friendly. ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How the voters will vote (updated):

For Tharman Shanmugaratnam
PAP supporters
The establishment i.e. civil servants who depend on the PAP for their iron rice bowl
The labour unions members. The NTUC will announce its endorsement of Tharman as President.
Businessmen and professionals who do not want their businesses and jobs to be affected by political disruptions
Most Pioneer and Merdeka generations who voted for Lee Kuan Yew their whole lives.
About half of the women who object to Tan Kin Lian objectifying pretty woman
Half of the women who are not pretty
Half of the women who are jealous of Cybil Lau
The Indian voters
The other minority races: Malays, Eurasions, and Others

For Ng Kok Song
The pro-establishment but anti-PAP
Moderates and neutrals who do not want a pro-PAP nor an anti-PAP candidate
The remaining half of the women who object to Tan Kin Lian objectifying pretty woman and
also support Sybil Lau for being able to find such a rich sugar daddy
The other half of the women who are not pretty
5% of the Chinese voters, because NKS cannot speak Chinese
Cat lovers

For Tan Kin Lian
All who voted against the PAP
Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Jee Say, Michelle Lee and their supporters
The anti-establishment
The anti-vaxers like Iris Koh
Supporters of Tan Chuan Jin and Cheng Li Hui
Those who are not satisfied with the government's handling of the Ridout bungalow (K Shanmugam and Vivian Balakrishnan)
and S Iswaran corruption probes
The other half of the women who are jealous of Cybil Lau
The sandwiched middle-class who are impacted by the cost of living
Those who lost their jobs or university places to foreign talents
All those who want to know the exact size of Singapore's reserves
All the chee ko peks who like to look at pretty girls
90% of the Chinese voters

Spoilt votes
George Goh and his supporters

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Presidential candidates discuss reserves, independence and unifying Singaporeans​

goh_yan_han.png

Goh Yan Han
Political Correspondent

Aug 28, 2023

SINGAPORE - The three candidates in the race to be Singapore’s next president spent an hour on Monday night discussing the use of the nation’s reserves, their independence, and how they would unify the nation and navigate the future, often citing their careers and experience to bolster their points.
Former GIC chief investment officer Ng Kok Song, 75; former senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, 66; and former NTUC Income chief Tan Kin Lian, 75, were speaking at a live forum aired on CNA, which began with an explanation on what the elected president can and cannot do.
The session kicked off with two minutes per person to answer a question on what would make them the most qualified candidate.
Mr Ng said he offered three qualifications – competence and experience from his time at GIC and the Monetary Authority of Singapore, his non-partisan status, and his being a person of trust and responsibility.
Mr Tharman said that while he respected his fellow candidates’ strengths, neither of them brings “the breadth and depth of experience that I have”.
He cited his experience internationally across various fields including pandemic preparedness and human development, as well as his experience in government and extensive experience with the reserves. “Put quite simply, I know the whole system of safeguarding and using the reserves inside out. No one can fool me.”
Mr Tan pointed to his 30 years as chief executive of NTUC Income.

He said he was responsible for overseeing the investment of the insurance fund, which is relevant experience for safeguarding the reserves, and had to appoint senior people to the top levels of management.
Asked what factors they would consider before unlocking the past reserves, Mr Tharman said the president must be able to understand the nature of the crisis.
He must also consider if the money is spent wisely and distributed fairly.

Mr Tan said he would consider if the use of the reserves is in the interest of the people, and whether it is a proper use of the reserves.
Mr Ng said he would ask about the total size of the reserves, the assumptions that the Government was making regarding the crisis, and if the Government had exhausted the possibility of raising revenues from elsewhere.
photo2023-08-2821-26-21.jpg

The presidential candidates spent an hour discussing the use of the nation’s reserves, their independence, and how they would unify the nation and navigate the future. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

Politicising the election, representing Singapore internationally​

The moderator, Ms Otelli Edwards, then asked how they would convince voters they are not politicising the election, and will exercise powers without fear or favour.
Mr Tan said he did not believe in politicking, which would take away time from understanding and solving the problems at hand, such as the low birth rate.
“We should focus on the problem, and use all available resources and knowledge, to see what is the best way to solve the problem.”
Mr Ng reiterated that he does not belong to any political party.
“There’s no better safeguard to have a non-politicised presidential election, (than) to have candidates who do not have any political affiliations,” he said.
Mr Tharman, who answered the question last, said he wanted to “avoid simple labels”.
He said candidates should be assessed on their character, whether they have a spine, their track record, and whether they can keep the trust of the people electing them.
Going by labels of having been a member of a political party is “extremely simplistic” and would rule out past presidents like Mr Ong Teng Cheong and Dr Tony Tan, as well as former presidential candidate Tan Cheng Bock, he said.
Asked what unique traits they had to help them represent Singapore globally, Mr Ng said he had travelled extensively while at GIC, forming friendships with policymakers, businessmen and corporate executives.
Mr Tharman said he would use his international experience to build relationships if elected president.
“But there’s an additional characteristic (and) that has to be the Singapore way and the Singapore voice of reason,” he said.
The Singapore leadership style is to find common ground, respect differences of position and find ways of bridging, he added.
Mr Tan said he had travelled yearly for board meetings and conferences, and taken time to understand the culture, history and languages of different countries, even “songs of many languages”.

Unifying Singaporeans, overcoming challenges​

On how he would be a unifying figure, beyond the ceremonial and community roles of the president, Mr Ng said he wanted to encourage more interracial help.
He brought up his campaign logo – a hand palm with five fingers meant to signify the various races – and stressed the need to develop empathy for those from other communities.
Mr Tharman said that in the next phase of development, Singapore has to go beyond celebrating diversity and respecting differences, and “become more Singaporean together”.
He added that he would focus on finding common ground in a more diverse democracy.
Mr Tan said the most important factor is that people should feel financially secure and hopeful in their lives. “Then people (have) got more time to think beyond themselves... then they become more unified.”
Asked what major challenges Singapore will face, and how they would help Singaporeans to cope, Mr Tharman highlighted that the world is becoming more divisive.
“We’ve got to create space for Singapore internationally, with both today’s friends as well as those who could be tomorrow’s friends,” he said.
Singapore, he added, also has to start preparing to adapt and respond to climate change. This is a challenge that the president has to be on top of, as the reserves may be required for long-term investments.
Mr Tan said that Singapore has its “own internal problems”, such as being a costly place to live in.
He said the Republic must find ways to bring down the cost of properties, wages and business costs, so that it can be competitive in the world.
Mr Ng said domestically, the challenge is that the younger generation is becoming more cynical and less trusting of government.
The Government has to restore trust among the people, by putting right whatever has gone wrong in terms of its standards of trust and integrity, he said.
While there is external geopolitical conflict, “as long as we stay united as a nation, we will be able to deal with the risks of the international environment”.

When asked what he wanted to tell voters before they head to the polls on Sept 1, Mr Tan said in his closing remarks that in carrying out the constitutional duties of the president, he would examine each recommendation on the use of past reserves and appointment of public service officers critically.
He would use the power of the president to call for a commission of inquiry when needed, to ensure there is transparency and accountability in the Government and public service.
He added that his main concern is for the young people of Singapore, who have to compete for jobs against foreigners and deal with the high cost of living and housing. He would “collaborate and work with the Government to find a better way to solve these problems”.
At this point, the moderator reminded viewers that the president cannot publicly express views on legislation or government policy, without being advised to do so by the Government.
Mr Ng said Singapore needs a president who is competent, experienced and trustworthy, and above all, a president who is non-partisan.
He called on Singaporeans to examine his motivations for joining the race – not for fame or money, but out of a genuine desire to serve his country.
Mr Tharman said he requested “every Singaporean respectfully to vote for me on Friday as a vote for an optimistic future”.
It is easy to be pessimistic when looking at everything happening in the world, or even at happenings in Singapore, he said.
“But when we look at Singaporeans, we become optimistic, when we look at what we’re capable of,” he said, citing national sprinter Shanti Pereira’s sporting achievements and Ms Stephanie Fam, a playwright with cerebral palsy.
“I’ve been serving Singapore my entire life, through public service and even before. You will not get surprises with me. What you see is what you get,” he said, closing off the forum.

Last edited:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Presidential election shaping up into partisan contest, say analysts​

2023082720555707snapseed.jpg

Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian flanked by PSP chairman Tan Cheng Bock (left) and SDP member Tan Jee Say during his walkabout in Chin Swee Road on Aug 27. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG
Tham Yuen-C and Kok Yufeng

Aug 28, 2023

SINGAPORE – The 2023 Presidential Election is shaping up into a partisan contest, with several prominent opposition figures coming out in support of candidate Tan Kin Lian, said political observers and analysts.
This has politicised the election into a contest pitting the opposition against the ruling People’s Action Party (PAP), even though the president is meant to be above the political fray, they added.
Progress Singapore Party (PSP) chairman and founder Tan Cheng Bock on Sunday endorsed former NTUC Income chief executive Tan Kin Lian, 75, joining others such as Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) member Tan Jee Say and Peoples Voice (PV) chief Lim Tean.
Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Tan Jee Say had turned up at a walkabout to stump for Mr Tan Kin Lian, declaring that they shared a “common vision” for an independent president. The trio had contested the 2011 Presidential Election, which former deputy prime minister Tony Tan won.
The PAP, meanwhile, has not endorsed any candidate. But former senior minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, 66, is seen as being linked to the ruling party, having just resigned in July to contest the presidency.
National University of Singapore (NUS) sociologist Tan Ern Ser said the election is “no longer about the qualities and suitability of the three candidates for the role of president, but between two options: the PAP and non-PAP”.
“This shouldn’t be the case, but it has shaped up to be so, especially with the appearance of an opposition slate,” he added.

Other opposition politicians backing Mr Tan Kin Lian include People’s Power Party chief Goh Meng Seng and former PV candidate Leong Sze Hian.
Singapore Management University (SMU) law don Eugene Tan said the Constitution and the Presidential Elections Act do not prohibit such endorsements, but added that it would not be in keeping with the nature of the presidency as a unifying institution.
“When politicians, regardless of whether they are from the ruling party or the opposition, start to portray that presidency as a political prize to be captured, I think we are severely compromising and undermining what the presidency is all about,” he said. “Effectively, it means the president could become a political player.”

Institute of Policy Studies senior research fellow Gillian Koh noted that Mr Tan Kin Lian has already hinted that if elected, he may nominate Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Tan Jee Say to the Council of Presidential Advisers.
She added that the result of these political associations is that voters will see the presidential election as a proxy for the next general election, and a referendum on the PAP government.
“They might say one thing, but they know that the real political effect is to generate a strong anti-PAP sentiment around the presidential election,” she said.

Elected presidency politicised from the start​

Other observers, such as constitutional law expert Kevin Tan, said the presidential elections have been “politicised from day one”.
He pointed to how the PAP had put forward then deputy prime minister Ong Teng Cheong as a candidate in the first presidential election in 1993 and persuaded former accountant-general Chua Kim Yeow to run against Mr Ong, so there was a contest.
In the 2011 presidential race, Mr Tan Jee Say had support from various opposition figures, including then National Solidarity Party politicians Nicole Seah and Steve Chia, as well as Mr Vincent Wijeysingha, Mr Ang Yong Guan and Dr Paul Tambyah, who were all involved with SDP at the time.
NUS associate professor of political science Chong Ja Ian said the presidency may be technically non-partisan, but remains political.
“The role is an elected one, it pertains to state resources, the symbolism of the state, and responsibilities, even if the presidency has curtailed discretion. These qualities make the position political by nature, even if the people running for office and who hold office do not have a formal political party membership,” he said.
He added that it is not surprising that political parties would be tempted to lay out some sort of position and may want to weigh in.
Dr Mustafa Izzuddin, a senior international affairs analyst at Solaris Strategies Singapore, said the polarisation of ground sentiment is being capitalised on, and some voters may treat the presidential election as a general election to show displeasure towards the government of the day.
NUS’ Prof Tan said: “I reckon both the candidates and other politicians, as well as supporters, see the stakes as very high, and they feel strongly about wanting to see their preferred outcome becoming a reality, and they believe that this presidential election offers a good opportunity for this to occur.”

Dr Kevin Tan noted that the ruling party has thrown its weight behind its preferred candidate in earlier presidential elections.
However, SMU’s Associate Professor Tan said that while the PAP had endorsed Mr Ong in the first presidential election, the Government has since come to realise that its support is not ideal, and has not explicitly endorsed any candidate.
He added that while any candidate coming from the Government will always be seen as having some form of tacit endorsement, the PAP has not given Mr Tharman an explicit endorsement in the same way that Dr Tan Cheng Bock has for Mr Tan Kin Lian.
Mr Tharman did not have any current or past politicians on his team of proposers, seconders and assenters, “because he is very conscious that he wants to draw that line, that his political affiliation has ended”, said Prof Tan.

Will Tan Cheng Bock’s support move the needle?​

Observers were mixed on whether Dr Tan Cheng Bock’s endorsement would have an impact at the polls.
SMU’s Prof Tan said it is no surprise that presidential hopeful Ng Kok Song, 75, has come out strongly against it, due to his positioning as the only non-partisan candidate in the race. He said because of Dr Tan’s support, there may be voters who decide to back Mr Tharman instead of Mr Ng come Friday to avoid splitting the pro-establishment vote.

At the other end, Dr Tan’s endorsement has essentially signalled to the anti-establishment segment of the electorate that their support should go to Mr Tan Kin Lian, he added.
Mr Ng, the former GIC chief investment officer, slammed the move by Dr Tan Cheng Bock on Sunday, adding that the opposition party leaders involved with Mr Tan were “dragging the presidential election into gutter politics” and dishonouring the office.
“There’s a danger that (Mr Tan Kin Lian’s) going to be manipulated by those leaders of the opposition parties,” Mr Ng added on Monday.
Prof Tan said he would not be surprised if Dr Tan’s endorsement has little effect.
“For voters who are undecided and have trouble with Mr Tan Kin Lian’s views on a variety of issues, I think Dr Tan Cheng Bock’s endorsement will not shift the needle,” he said, adding that fair-minded voters will find it hard to understand Dr Tan’s backing given the accusations of misogyny and racism from some quarters against Mr Tan Kin Lian.
Dr Tan had stated that he was supporting Mr Tan Kin Lian in his personal capacity.
On Monday, a PSP spokesman said it is not endorsing any candidate in the upcoming election, and that any support by any member for a candidate is in his own personal capacity.
However, NUS’ Prof Tan said it is hard to see Dr Tan endorsing Mr Tan Kin Lian purely as an ordinary voter, given his position as chairman of a political party and the fact that he and Mr Tan Jee Say were seen garlanded and campaigning with the candidate.

Political analyst and Nanyang Technological University associate lecturer Felix Tan said he expects Dr Tan’s endorsement to have some significance, given his sizeable following.
However, it may also complicate things for his supporters, as they may not all feel the same way about Mr Tan Kin Lian as a presidential candidate, he said.
With four days left until Singapore heads to the ballot box, analysts say it is ultimately for the voters to decide which candidate is reasonable and preferable to them.
Dr Chong reckons that the election being politicised is not necessarily good or bad. “It all depends on how the contestation plays out—whether it is above board, even-handed, competitive, and, in the case of elections, voters are able to act upon their choices freely and have those choices matter,” he said.
“It is obviously helpful if voters are fully informed about the responsibilities and limitations of the office they are voting to fill. However, voter education needs to take place consistently and over the long term, rather than in the heat of an election period, where there may be information overload.”
Dr Koh, meanwhile, urged voters to put aside considerations about party politics when electing Singapore’s ninth president, and to leave these considerations for the next general election, which is due by 2025.
She added: “This is a most difficult topic to delve into, but hopefully will be part of our maturation process as a smart electorate.”